Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Because one game going up until Midgar took them multiple years, and it took them 10 years to make Final Fantasy 15.
    Cyber Connect 2 was making FFVII Remake when it was announced. It was scrapped 2.5 years in and rebooted as an in house project.

FFXV did not take them 10 years to make, in fact full development on it started in 2012. Versus XIII was fucking vaporware that just had some cgi trailers made for it, not sure why people still think it was in development all that time.

We have already seen how fast square can churn out a trilogy once they already have engine and assets in place with the XIII trilogy, that's probably the same thing that will happen with this. 2-2.5 years between releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Bae View Post
    That was one of the best games i've played. You will enjoy it. Its an amazing game
    Yeah enjoying it highly very nice game.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    So this actually isn't going to have a legit turn-based, classic game play mode option like people kept claiming then?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    So this actually isn't going to have a legit turn-based, classic game play mode option like people kept claiming then?
    No, there's no traditional ATB system. It's sorta a hybrid action-ATB system now, difficult to describe but IMO it's a good evolution and allows for more interesting combat.

Because let's be real: The combat system in FFVII, while it allowed for some wonky shit like 4x Knights of the Round or whatever, wasn't terribly deep or complex, and ended up often just being a whole lot of "mash square to attack". It seems that now you're making a lot more moment to moment combat decisions on which attacks to use on what target and where you place yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, there's no traditional ATB system. It's sorta a hybrid action-ATB system now, difficult to describe but IMO it's a good evolution and allows for more interesting combat.

Because let's be real: The combat system in FFVII, while it allowed for some wonky shit like 4x Knights of the Round or whatever, wasn't terribly deep or complex, and ended up often just being a whole lot of "mash square to attack". It seems that now you're making a lot more moment to moment combat decisions on which attacks to use on what target and where you place yourself.
    This feels like a weak arguement trying to prop up the new system by tearing down the old.

Just because FFVII wasn't tightly tuned didn't mean it wasn't a fun or good battle system. There was enjoyment to be had in experimenting with different builds and strategies. There was fun to be had sitting and contemplating the best move you could make. The remake was a prime opportunity to use design innovations made by other JRPGs over the years to make an even more enjoyable system.

So far, the combat system I've seen has killed my interest in the game. I have very little interest in action gameplay where I'm being rushed to push buttons. I'd rather play a game where I have time to contemplate my best move and be rewarded for it, rather than being rushed along because while I'm thinking, I'm taking damage, and I'm losing the battle because I'm not pushing buttons, even if they are suboptimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    This feels like a weak arguement trying to prop up the new system by tearing down the old.

Just because FFVII wasn't tightly tuned didn't mean it wasn't a fun or good battle system. There was enjoyment to be had in experimenting with different builds and strategies. There was fun to be had sitting and contemplating the best move you could make. The remake was a prime opportunity to use design innovations made by other JRPGs over the years to make an even more enjoyable system.

So far, the combat system I've seen has killed my interest in the game. I have very little interest in action gameplay where I'm being rushed to push buttons. I'd rather play a game where I have time to contemplate my best move and be rewarded for it, rather than being rushed along because while I'm thinking, I'm taking damage, and I'm losing the battle because I'm not pushing buttons, even if they are suboptimal.
    You aren't rushed to do anything and can effectively pause the combat to make decisions any time you want to. In fact if you where playing FFVII on its default settings(where it doesn't pause every time one of your ATB bar fills for you) you are far more rushed to make decisions with that then in this game.

There's still a "pause" of sorts. When you hit X - default key to bring your materia/item/ability menu up the game almost pauses, slowing down to like 5% of normal speed. That give you plenty of time to navigate menus and select abilities, or take a few moments to assess the battlefield and plan your next move. You can do this no matter what character you're playing as and can swap between mid-combat, so you can realistically just swap from character to character and "pause" with each swap before deciding what to do.

It's far from straight action combat.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    FF in general has a history of missables. Certain Al Bhed books in FFX comes to mind, same with some items in XIII if you were going for the collector achievment. Probably a ton more, I know XII had some, just can't remember the specifics.
    Which is why I always have a Spoiler Free Missables guide on hand when I play (I don't enjoy replaying long games again).

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You aren't rushed to do anything and can effectively pause the combat to make decisions any time you want to. In fact if you where playing FFVII on its default settings(where it doesn't pause every time one of your ATB bar fills for you) you are far more rushed to make decisions with that then in this game.
    That's kind of a stretch, you could always hit start to pause the game no matter what mode you were on. Personally i liked either attacking or casting or whatever action you took, in this you have to basic attack to do anything. Both system look "fine" to me in their balance and flow, but i do wonder how cool it would look to make insane animations with the budget and modern tech and balancing. They sure as hell didn't have any idea how to balance 15 real time combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu fhtagn View Post
    That's kind of a stretch, you could always hit start to pause the game no matter what mode you were on. Personally i liked either attacking or casting or whatever action you took, in this you have to basic attack to do anything. Both system look "fine" to me in their balance and flow, but i do wonder how cool it would look to make insane animations with the budget and modern tech and balancing. They sure as hell didn't have any idea how to balance 15 real time combat.
    That changes nothing since you still have to menu in real time. You can't menu on the pause screen. In this you menu while effectively having the game paused. Stretch my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bae View Post
    Well in XII, all but 5 Espers were missable. So 8 you had to go looking for.
    The Espers in XII aren't "missable". You have until you go to the final dungeon to go get them. It's not like you had to go to a certain, way out of the way place at a certain time to find them. The Zodiac Spear would be a missable, because you if you opened the wrong chest (with absolutely zero ingame indication as to whether or not it was required), you were out of luck.

Hell where is Val the Moofia? Go tell that man Trails games aren't complete games because the damn saga spans 9 games at this point with a 10th on the way this year. Each of those games has more content then original FFVII does by a long shot to mind you lmao.
    Indeed.

Episodic releases get a bad rap because hardly anyone ever actually gets them right. Usually, customers are having to pay the price of a full release for a 10-20 hour game, with the expectation that they are eventually going to get a full game worthy of that price tag (Telltale Games). Or, they buy a $60 game, and it ends on a cliffhanger and told to wait for the story to conclude in the next game, which will also cost $60, and may or may not be satisfactory (Halo, Kingdom Hearts, etc).

Falcom gets away with it because they earned the trust of their audience. Each Trails game is over 50 hours long (the Cold Steel games are 100+ hours each on your first playthrough), filled with quality content. Just because Falcom is on a yearly release schedule and has 30 employees doesn't deter them from trying to give their audience as much quality content as they can. The games are in of themselves satisfying experiences, and every other game resolves a lot of story threads and plot points established in the previous. It also helps that each Trails game is apart of an arc that has a definitive beginning, middle, and end. It's not like KH where they're going to keep stringing you along forever to milk as much money out of you, and you will never get a satisfying story, let alone a narrative you will want to replay. Trails has its own issues for sure, but it undoubtedly takes the crown for the best serialized story told in video games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Which is why I always have a Spoiler Free Missables guide on hand when I play (I don't enjoy replaying long games again).
    I generally like the idea of missables, where if you stop to think and put two and two together, and then go to that place or interact with that character, you will be rewarded for paying attention to the story with a tidbit of lore or something extra. However, if the missable is so arbitrary that you need to use a guide to even know it exists, I think it is not very well designed.

That changes nothing since you still have to menu in real time. You can't menu on the pause screen. In this you menu while effectively having the game paused. Stretch my ass.
    Are you saying you didn't know what abilities you had? Or are you saying menuing is hard? Wasn't the whole point you were making that you were rushed on default settings (which you were able to change from the start)? And your defense was that you are paused in this game while the menu is open and interactable and while in ff7 it was just open. On top of that the time does crawl forward in the remake. Trying to act like in ff7 you were somehow rushed is silly.
    Last edited by Cthulhu fhtagn; 2020-03-06 at 01:57 AM.

At the time it was fine, but by todays standards it's horrible. I'm fairly confident that they could have drafted a half decent turn based system, but I'm glad they didn't. While I am refusing to try the demo, everything I've seen looks top notch and I'm genuinely glad that they decided to remake the battle system in addition to the other parts of the game.

I abhor using the statement "get gud", but at the same time your reasons really do call for it. If can't enjoy a minutia of little pressure while contemplating your best move there are easy mode options for players like you, of which I'm pretty sure is included in this game with near wait mode ATB equivalent.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu fhtagn View Post
    What? You could pause the game yes, but this is more like what you'd see in certain RPGs like Dragon Age or the good old Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity and so on where you pause the combat, not the game. You use that pause to issue commands and orientate yourself. The pause function in the original was literally just a pause function.

- - - Updated - - -

I generally like the idea of missables, where if you stop to think and put two and two together, and then go to that place or interact with that character, you will be rewarded for paying attention to the story with a tidbit of lore or something extra. However, if the missable is so arbitrary that you need to use a guide to even know it exists, I think it is not very well designed.
    I prefer a mix of extremely well hidden and reasonably well hidden if the former has no lasting reprecussions. I'm fine with missables being really well hidden if they don't matter that much. Like a summon materia, something tied to completion / achievements and so on, those can be hidden but not to the point of being unreasonable. Equipment that's a bit ahead of the point you're at, stuff like that I love to find in really -really- secret areas. No problem if you miss them, but if you do find them it just feels awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Im just glad they kept barrets swearing in
    And Cid was much worse. Wonder if they’ll tone him down a bit, looking forward to the drama that will ensue once certain people get to “goddamn tea” in a few years #justiceforshera I can see this happening

10+ Year Old Account
    A part of me wishes I hadn't played through the demo but I just couldn't resist. So far it's looking and feeling really good.

The combat feels exciting and action packed while also not holding your hand like some action RPGs do. The enemies are an actual threat here just like in the original. If you're not careful you could end up getting killed by a normal monster. The first boss fight was awesome and I'm so glad they kept the boss mechanics instead of just making it a "hack and slash as fast as you can" competition. Helps keep some of the tactical elements of the original.

One thing I was worried about before playing the demo was how Cloud's personality was going to be. After Advent Children I was thinking they were going to go with the more emo/depressed Cloud rather than the cocky/confident Cloud of the original. Thankfully they kept his original personality at least for the most part from what we were able to play. The rest of them seem the same as they were in the original which is awesome too. I hate when they remake something and also change the way the characters act and talk.

One thing I'm still concerned about is how they're going to go about continuing the story. I kept seeing them use the word "episodic" to describe it but I also kept hearing that the other "episodes" will be released on disc just as any other game sequel would. I'm hoping the latter is true because I really don't want to be downloading the next parts of the game as digital only games. I was hoping that eventually I would have a set of 3 games or how ever many its going to be.

Also I have to say it's a little disappointing that the "classic mode" is just a difficulty setting and not the original turn based system. When they kept saying it's going to have a classic mode that's what I assumed they meant. From the sounds of it it sounds like a difficulty that I will never play on because it seems to be more watching than playing and that's no fun at all.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2020-03-07 at 06:49 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally got round to playing the demo.

FF7 is one of my favourite games of all time.

Graphics are fine, as is voice acting, so is the general moving around, although I hate using a controller (but when playing FF7 I use a controller as mouse and keyboard is awful for the original game).

I am hating the combat (not tried classic as I only see complaints), I wanted the old school system. That's really my only complaint though, but it's a big one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    The enemies are an actual threat here just like in the original. If you're not careful you could end up getting killed by a normal monster.
    Don't know what game you played, but nothing was a threat, it's a hack and slash, having to use a thunder or fire attack to weaken an enemy does not make it not a hack and slash.

Of course I expect the game to get more difficult in later stages.

I just hope that classic mode is improved in the final version of the game. Seems like the demo is an older build so that gives me some hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    I just hope that classic mode is improved in the final version of the game. Seems like the demo is an older build so that gives me some hope.
    Given that the game has gone gold, that is unlikely to happen. Only hope now is that there is a substantial post launch update that revamps the system, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Game is what a month away?

Certainly not gonna be changed before launch. Not impossible they patch it later on down the road. But I wouldn't hold my breath
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.