5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    LOL my god this country.....

The social media team behind Tito's Vodka has been hard at work telling people that its liquor should not be used to make hand sanitizer.
    I would laugh if we didn't have an issue of kids eating tidepods for memes. So good on them for trying to stop what they can.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The article cited above suggests China's problems aren't as bad, because China's willing to just lock people up. Most countries won't do that.
    That's the main reason why I believe China is being somewhat truthful with their numbers. A virus can't spread if literally everyone in the country is being strongly told or forced to stay within their own homes, schools and work places are shut down, and everything around them is closed.

That won't be the case anywhere else (except maybe N Korea, but who knows what is really happening there). No other country is willing or capable to lock up their populace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    This is not good - there are cases emerging where victims who had recovered from the virus (and should therefore have been immune) are contracting it again and, in at least one case, dying from it.

Meanwhile in Australia, not only do we have ridiculous panic buying going on, but it appears to have breached containment in Sydney, with an 1100-sudent high school, an aged care facility and a child care facility all in lock down after cases appeared there, as well as a doctor contracting the virus from a patient.
    there's panic buying going on here too. stores here are all sold out of face masks and disinfectant is being bought in bulk. store i work for their warehouse is completely out of face masks.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm less concerned about the virus itself than I am about the secondary impacts on the economy. For example, I have a friend who works as the safety supervisor at an industrial bakery (supplies various baked goods to supermarkets in the region), and they might have to temporarily shut down. Why? Not because there is anyone sick. But because they're working with food, so they are required to wear face masks, and they can't actually get any because all their suppliers are out of them. Those kind of ripples through the supply chains can cause a huge mess that makes what is already a bad situation very much worse.

This thing is spreading mad in germany.. not suprising with how slow and bad officials are reacting. Few weeks ago they sent masks to china to help and now we already have a shortage of masks for hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    This thing is spreading mad in germany.. not suprising with how slow and bad officials are reacting. Few weeks ago they sent masks to china to help and now we already have a shortage of masks for hospitals.
    I find it odd how it seems to not be spreading in Africa. To the best of my knowledge they had no more then three cases. I wonder if they have a certain genetic immunity or resistance to the virus strain similar to how Ebola didn't effect certain nationalities.

Though it could also be a lack of testing equipment available to determine what is the virus versus other illnesses in the area mimicking its symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    lack of testing equipment available to determine what is the virus versus other illnesses in the area mimicking its symptoms.
    It's probably this.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Are we so sure about that? Being we aren’t even testing properly
    I'm dang surprised places in the US havent started using that hand held temp scanner. In China, you get temp scanned everywhere now.
    I asked my mom to mention it to a Walmart manager, guess they don't do anything unless told by the higher ups. T.T sad..cause that would help a lot.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    I find it odd how it seems to not be spreading in Africa. To the best of my knowledge they had no more then three cases. I wonder if they have a certain genetic immunity or resistance to the virus strain similar to how Ebola didn't effect certain nationalities.

Though it could also be a lack of testing equipment available to determine what is the virus versus other illnesses in the area mimicking its symptoms.
    no testing no registered cases

worst thing in this shitty diesease is a panic.

nobody knows how many suffered from it and recovered by themselves taking it as a general flu or cold

there were a lot of more dangerous and contiguous strains in the past years that also affected animals but nobody cared

smh people going insane about pneumonia now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76
    In China, you get temp scanned everywhere now.
    Just as an update, I went out for groceries and the regular guys were back in charge of the gate. I had absolutely no hassle. Looks like more of the neighborhood stores are open again.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    I'm dang surprised places in the US havent started using that hand held temp scanner. In China, you get temp scanned everywhere now.
    I asked my mom to mention it to a Walmart manager, guess they don't do anything unless told by the higher ups. T.T sad..cause that would help a lot.
    In reality it has proven to be fairly inefficient for travellers, and WHO does not recommend it, and some of the underlying reasons also apply for Walmart.

Temperature screening alone, at exit or entry, is not an effective way to stop international spread, since infected individuals may be in incubation period, may not express apparent symptoms early on in the course of the disease, or may dissimulate fever through the use of antipyretics; in addition, such measures require substantial investments for what may bear little benefits. It is more effective to provide prevention recommendation messages to travellers and to collect health declarations at arrival, with travellers’ contact details, to allow for a proper risk assessment and a possible contact tracing of incoming travellers.
    "dissimulate fever through the use of antipyretics" is a fancy way of saying that people take aspirin to reduce their fevers, and thus don't show up on thermal scanners.

https://www.who.int/ith/2019-nCoV_ad...raffic-rev/en/
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-03-06 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Are we so sure about that? Being we aren’t even testing properly
    You can't be sure about anything, but so far the spread is slower. If the spread is just as fast as in China we will be at 27,000 infected outside of China by the end of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoholist View Post
    You can't be sure about anything, but so far the spread is slower. If the spread is just as fast as in China we will be at 27,000 infected outside of China by the end of tomorrow.
    The crazy thing is out of the ~80k confirmed cases in China, almost 60k have already either recovered or died.

So within the next couple days there will actually be more sick people outside of China than inside if not already.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    You'll have people up in arms about Gubbermint intrushun and their freedumbs if they had to be temp scanned anywhere.
    Even if it'd save their lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    The crazy thing is out of the ~80k confirmed cases in China, almost 60k have already either recovered or died.

So within the next couple days there will actually be more sick people outside of China than inside if not already.
    Assuming they aren't grossly underreporting cases and you are actually naive enough to buy into that crap.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    You'll have people up in arms about Gubbermint intrushun and their freedumbs if they had to be temp scanned anywhere.
    To expand on this concept in my country there's a famous youtuber ( yeah that "special" breed) that is currently quarantined in an hotel (with another 50 people) where 3 cases were diagnosed. He is spending all day and night making vid after vid ( increasingly mad) to his 2 millions followers claiming that the police won't let him get out,that he is kidnapped there (I add:"quarantined is the term you involutionary step in Homo genre") and that he will sue the state using the amazing arguments that he has no symptons ( did you ever opened a newspaper dumbass? do you know how the virus spread?) and that he is young ( maybe the virus is not dangerous for you...it is for others).

Some people say violence is never the solution.

They are wrong: the solution for this infrabeing is crushing some sense into his tiny brain by slapping him till he stops talking.

You'd think businesses and shops would do that. If it didn't help, i doubt everywhere in China would be using it. :P
    With masses of people worried about the virus, you'd think big stores would implement and use them..oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

dang..security guards posted at TP isles in stores to make sure people don't panic buy more than what's allotted per person.
    This be serious now!
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

7+ Year Old Account
    Prescient article from William S Lind on all this:

A chink in our armour

I have warned for decades that the future weapon of mass destruction is not the nuclear weapon but the genetically engineered plague. The world now stands on the brink of its first experience with that new weapon.

Whether the coronavirus now racing from China across the globe was created by intention or accident is not yet known. The Chinese government claims the latter, but that government is well known for concealing facts it finds inconvenient. My information, which may not be accurate, is that it escaped from a Chinese biowarfare lab in Wuhan that was attempting to cross it with HIV to create an AIDS that would spread like the flu. We now know how to treat AIDs, but the drugs are very expensive. If the objective were to inflict an economic catastrophe on another country, such a bioweapon would do the trick. So far, it does not appear that the version that got out–its escape would be typical Chinese sloppiness–has the cross; only the carrier escaped the lab. If that proves true, we can all be thankful.

But either way, the coronavirus pandemic points to what is certain to come. In genetic engineering, we have created a monster that very well may devour the whole human race. When man seeks to play God, the results tend to be unhappy. New plagues will be generated both intentionally and unintentionally. Unlike nuclear weapons, genetically engineered diseases do not require vast facilities that cost billions. They are knowledge-based, and the knowledge is already widespread. That makes them ideal WMDs for non-state, Fourth Generation forces. WMDs in the hands of states are generally stabilizing. In the hands of non-state entities, the opposite is true.

We would do so well to remember that the Medieval world, which, contrary to what kids are taught in school, was highly successful, was brought down by the plague, the Black Death. When you lose a third, half, or even two-thirds of your population in six weeks, everything falls apart.

So what do we do about it? We have to face the fact that in the face of new plagues, Globalism is suicide. The only thing that works is quarantine. In the Middle Ages, some Italian towns saved themselves from the plague by a policy of immurement: any house where plague appeared was bricked up, with the people inside.

The equivalent for us now is to shut down all international travel. No one may enter the United States without going through a period of quarantine. The current wisdom is that a two-week quarantine is sufficient. That may change. With future genetically engineered plagues, the quarantine may have to be longer. In Thomas Hobbes’ novel Victoria, entry into Europe requires a three-month quarantine on Heligoland Island. Of course, anyone illegally attempting to enter the country and thereby avoiding quarantine must be shot dead.

In future cases, it may also be necessary to prohibit all imported goods. It should not be too difficult to create plagues that are transmitted by things: by food imports, by cars or car parts, by anything that an American might end up handling. The toxins would be designed, at least initially, to come through the skin. With genetic engineering, there is almost no limit on hideous characteristics a disease can be given. Modernity, meet your Frankenstein.

The United States is fortunate to have, in Donald Trump, a President who is likely to act and close our borders if that proves necessary in the case of the coronavirus (if it isn’t already). Can anyone imagine any of the Democrats doing that? They would show endless pictures of crying urchins, denouncing as heartless anyone who would deny them entry. The Democrats’ weakness could well do us all in. Establishment Republicans would be no better as Wall Street howled that its profits depend on Globalism, on open borders for people and goods. If America once again made all it needed in American factories, ordinary Americans would benefit. But establishment Republicans don’t care about them; Mr. Trump does.

This is the future, folks; not “one world”, but many moats and drawbridges. Globalism is the chink in our armor, or perhaps going into a tournament without hauberk or cuirass. We will either armor up or listen to the cry in our streets, “Bring out your dead.”
    Still not tired of winning.

Indeed, if there were federally owned temperature scanners spammed all over the country, people would rightly view that as a blatant violation of their Fourth Amendment rights. Being willing to trade on those rights for the illusion of safety I can surely understand, but actively mocking people for not wanting to give up rights is about as shortsighted as it gets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    Prescient article from William S Lind on all this:

A chink in our armour
    My information, which may not be accurate, is that it escaped from a Chinese biowarfare lab in Wuhan that was attempting to cross it with HIV to create an AIDS that would spread like the flu.
    This sentence is a good example of why people that don't know shit about biology should just avoid writing about it. There's so much that's wrong in just one sentence that it's hard to quickly describe.

While it might be an honest mistake, somewhere there should have been an editor that informed Lind that you generally want to avoid putting "chink" in your headlines when writing about Chinese people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This sentence is a good example of why people that don't know shit about biology should just avoid writing about it. There's so much that's wrong in just one sentence that it's hard to quickly describe.
    He might've mangled it, but I've heard that the wuflu has some suspiciously similar genetic sequences to HIV, so... meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    While it might be an honest mistake, somewhere there should have been an editor that informed Lind that you generally want to avoid putting "chink" in your headlines when writing about Chinese people.
    No that was probably deliberate, knowing him. Doesn't make his point about globalism wrong though.
    Still not tired of winning.