Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Fresh rumour...mickey mouse and murlocs?

I work at an investment banking related firm and we receive certain "special reports" type of newsletters and today's issue was specially interesting because it mentioned that disney is suddenly very interested in buying out blizzard from activision. Mind you this is one step behind the companies going into actual talks, this is just disney going through m&a consultancy firms with certain inquiries.

I want it, maybe Disney can save Blizzard games from Activision and we can get that Kingdom Hearts/World Warcraft crossover WoW players have been clamoring for years.

if this is true, i feel like you are about to lose your job. i'm pretty sure those kind of talks are meant to be private information and you disclosing private information without the approval of the client is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    if this is true, i feel like you are about to lose your job. i'm pretty sure those kind of talks are meant to be private information and you disclosing private information without the approval of the client is illegal.
    This isn't the first time it's been rumored, I've seen it mentioned on twitter awhile ago that one of the Disney heads had a slight interest in wanting to buy Blizzard, but it was far from anything to actually happening, just a random "want".
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

While I can understand people wanting Activision to go away... I'd rather Disney not become even more of a monopoly than it already is.

I've said for years that Blizzard would be a great purchase by Disney. They could buy the IPs, retire all the video games, and then make a series of films about Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft. Maybe throw in some amusement park rides. They would keep maybe 10% of the lore and pump out a bunch of Michael Bay type films filled with hot girls and explosions.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    While I can understand people wanting Activision to go away... I'd rather Disney not become even more of a monopoly than it already is.
    I would think that Disney owning Blizzard would be a positive for the players though. They seem to care about quality at Disney and that is something lacking these days.

At least then they might focus more on making a good story and maybe more (better) movies. It's one hell of an IP to have.

Dude...it was in a newsletter. Paid, market related newsletter, sure, but still a newsletter. It's not an ongoing deal yet, just a product of disney going around and looking for info. A company that big and important to the entertainment industry cant flex its buyout muscles without someone finding out and letting someone else know, really. Id lose my job and probably commit a crime if it was in deal stage and my firm was involved in the buyout, which just isnt the case. Still, i'm excited by the prospect of not having bobby kotick in my life anymore.
    Last edited by reploid; 2020-03-07 at 01:54 AM.

Yeah, because I'm pretty sure whatever firm he works for is checking MMO-C, let alone can identify him by his forum user name.

Quote Originally Posted by reploid View Post
    Dude...it was in a newsletter. Paid, market related newsletter, sure, but still a newsletter. It's not an ongoing deal yet, just a product of disney going around and looking for info. A company that big and important to the entertainment industry cant flex its buyout muscles without someone finding out and letting someone else know, really. Id lose my job and probably commit a crime if it was in deal stage and my firm was involved in the buyout, which just isnt the case. Still, i'm excited by the prospect of not having bobby kotick in my life anymore.
    I dont think you know anything about insider trading. That guy youre responding to seems to me, to be the authority

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deferionus View Post
    I would think that Disney owning Blizzard would be a positive for the players though. They seem to care about quality at Disney and that is something lacking these days.
    HAHAHAHAHA. Oh wait, you're serious. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Disney cares about quality. Oh boy that's rich.

So the problem here is that the actual mother company isn't activision. Its Activision Blizzard. Activision is subsidiary of the main company. Just like Blizzard entertainment is subsidiary. But the main point here is that Blizzard isn't subsidiary of Activision that can be easily cut off from the mother company. And with this explanation it should be clear that there is not "big bad Activision" that is deciding things for Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    I dont think you know anything about insider trading. That guy youre responding to seems to me, to be the authority
    Lol and isnt even the first time they've poked and prodded to begin with, there's some news articles going back to july last year. It seems that now they did some research with some firms and someone let it slip.

Dont let me stop you from buying atvi stock, but know that research into a buyout =/= actual deal happening. This kind of pinging is extremely common in M&A.

Id love some more cash flowing into wow, and the perspective of a new star wars mmo with blizzard's art direction is just too enticing to not dream about.

If they signed an NDA and if they can figure out who actually wrote this. If its real they are likely behind a VPN anyways so IP wouldn't matter. How about this though! Mind yo business, David.

Mickey mouse allied race confirmed?

OT: On actual serious highly doubt Activision would let Blizzard go.
    Last edited by AlmightyGerkin; 2020-03-07 at 02:44 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are about 7 months to late with this and it is hardly a fresh rumor based on "random low post forum users claims". I mean look at all the terrible Shadowlands leaks that were rumors and "confirmed".
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

yeah, Disney has done so well with Star Wars games.

Well, if we ignore diablo, rest of blizard's active IP does fit in with disnep's air of superficial and light hearted story telling.