Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    In Italy the average age of people dead from this is 81-82, and 2 out of 3 had 3 underlying conditions that worsened their odds of survival.
    Why are we so scared, again?
    Permanent affter effects.
    Another thing we can die from.
    Another thing that "might" mutate, get worse and come back every year.
    If this thing gets a permanent foothold (and it seems to be), it'll likely kill more people every year than the normal flu.

It's a virus not a bacteria,. so,. the potential for disaster is exponentially worse.

In Italy the average age of people dead from this is 81-82, and 2 out of 3 had 3 underlying conditions that worsened their odds of survival.
    10% of people end up in an ICU. There aren't enough beds in the ICU if a large swath of the population is infected. that would push the mortality rate up.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Permanent affter effects.
    Another thing we can die from.
    Another thing that "might" mutate, get worse and come back every year.
    If this thing gets a permanent foothold (and it seems to be), it'll likely kill more people every year than the normal flu.

It's a virus not a bacteria,. so,. the potential for disaster is exponentially worse.
    I've only seen shady sites claim that. Do we have any peer reviewed article that claims the same?
    I've also seen people claim it makes you impotent or that it stays in your body and pops up again later, but again I've only seen that from highly suspect sites and not a proper study.

The german forecast figures went from 1000 infected by now to hold at 600-700 real cases just because people got told in the news to avoid unnecessary gatherings and use general hygene, just like in any flu season.

The measures your country have to use to controll the outbreak depends on the population. Some countrys like Taiwan have to use mass surveillance/phone-tracking/house arrest orders to avoid another SARS and some countrys can get by with simple news informations.

COVID-19 should not really get anyone scared, the amount of stupid people around you should make you scared. If your government needs extrem measures to contain a flu, you have more things to fear about than getting infected with COVID-19.
    -

I've only seen shady sites claim that. Do we have any peer reviewed article that claims the same?
    I've also seen people claim it makes you impotent or that it stays in your body and pops up again later, but again I've only seen that from highly suspect sites and not a proper study.
    I doubt any peer reviewed articles exist at all and likely wont for quite some time. We do have the knowledge it causes permanent lung scarring. The rest was reported on by the Chinese government and while I assume they are lying about a host of things I doubt the negatives effects of the virus or the reinfection rate are one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    The german forecast figures went from 1000 infected by now to hold at 600-700 real cases just because people got told in the news to avoid unnecessary gatherings and use general hygene, just like in any flu season.

The measures your country have to use to controll the outbreak depends on the population. Some countrys like Taiwan have to use mass surveillance/phone-tracking/house arrest orders to avoid another SARS and some countrys can get by with simple news informations.

COVID-19 should not really get anyone scared, the amount of stupid people around you should make you scared. If your government needs extrem measures to contain a flu, you have more things to fear about than getting infected with COVID-19.
    It knocks you flat on your ass for two weeks where you struggle to simply draw breath if your in your twenties...

There is also the chance of permanent damage to your lungs and rather then building a immunity to the virus your susceptible to reinfection.

It's not really something to just be heedless about. It might not kill you but your going to be in for a awful time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    I doubt any peer reviewed articles exist at all and likely wont for quite some time. We do have the knowledge it causes permanent lung scarring. The rest was reported on by the Chinese government and while I assume they are lying about a host of things I doubt the negatives effects of the virus or the reinfection rate are one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

It knocks you flat on your ass for two weeks where you struggle to simply draw breath if your in your twenties...

There is also the chance of permanent damage to your lungs and rather then building a immunity to the virus your susceptible to reinfection.

It's not really something to just be heedless about. It might not kill you but your going to be in for a awful time.
    Maybe for serious cases, the 10%, but here's an article where a Norwegian woman describes what it's like having it. She basically describes it like a cold.
    https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/smi...det-slog-till/

Google translated:
    Together with her husband and four other friends, Trude Ravndal, 56, from Sandnes in Norway, traveled to the ski resort Cervinia in northern Italy almost two weeks ago.

For a week, the company would ski in the Italian Alps, but in the middle of the week, Trude Ravndal felt that she was getting a little sore in her chest.

- It wasn't that dangerous so I continued to ski. I went to bed early, but I always do that on a skiing holiday, ”says Trude Ravndal to Dagbladet.

Trude thinks that while she felt pain in her chest, she also got a little dizzy. But the 56-year-old is in good physical shape and is rarely ill. Therefore, she waited to call her GP until she came home from the trip.

Instead, she sent a text message to her GP, telling her that she felt healthy but a little coughy and asked for advice on how she would act.

The GP then told her to test for corona as soon as she got home.
    Has no fever or cough

When Trude Ravndal came home from Italy last Saturday, she kept her home over the weekend. On Tuesday, she was given time to test herself for corona.

The others who were on a ski holiday with Trude also tested for the corona virus, but all were tested negative - except for Trude.

- I was very surprised and I think that everyone around me also became. Especially since the others I traveled with had been tested negative.

The same evening, the Smittvernlegen phoned and went through what would happen next. Trude Ravndal will now be quarantined in his home for two weeks.

For Dagbladet, Trude Ravndal talks about his symptoms. She does not have pain in the body, is not stuffy or runny in the nose. Neither does she sneeze or have a headache.

When Expressen talks to Trude Ravndal on Saturday, she feels that it feels like a light cold and that she still feels a little in her chest.

- I had not gone out and jogged, but I have worked 100 percent from home all week and will do it next week as well.

- I feel that I am not completely healthy but with a regular flu you can get hurt in the body and skin and so on, but I do not have that. I work almost as normal.
    Goes quite well with the symptoms found here: https://www.worldometers.info/corona...irus-symptoms/
    Seems only 31% feel like they have a shortness of breath.

I highly doubt the RIVM and the Dutch goverment will react properly regardless. They are about 5 steps behind still.

Maybe for serious cases, the 10%, but here's an article where a Norwegian woman describes what it's like having it. She basically describes it like a cold.
    https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/smi...det-slog-till/

Google translated:
    There is also one from a 25 year old man who claimed it felt like he was suffocating the entire time...

Call me skeptical if you must but I don't see China shutting down its production capabilities to this degree if it was "just a cold".unless their respect for human life and comfort has really shot up as of late.

I think a easier way to think of it is like chickenpox. Young children dont really suffer from it but are carriers while adults suffer and the old die. Just you can never get a immunity to it...

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Pence and Trump might have the virus according to a CPAC being tested positive with the virus.
    We can only hope. lol oops :P
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Seems only 31% feel like they have a shortness of breath.
    Can people stop posting reasonable stuff like this it's really killing the hysteria vibe.

Apparently for 40% of women who get it after a week their vagina falls off. Men can expect their testicles to permanently swell up to the size of basketballs. It's gon' be wild!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    I highly doubt the RIVM and the Dutch goverment will react properly regardless. They are about 5 steps behind still.
    And should they do according to you?
    But now the biggest part,
    is all about the image
    and not the art

Call me skeptical if you must but I don't see China shutting down its production capabilities to this degree if it was "just a cold".unless their respect for human life and comfort has really shot up as of late.
    The reason for shutting down the "slave-work camps" with 7-workdays-weeks and 7/24 sleeprotations for the same bed might be a different one as you expect.

COVID-19 is infectious before it even shows symptomes, so it cant be contained in such kind of work-camps, because it would spread in those inhuman conditions. High population density and working conditions that could only be described as labor camps is forcing china to more extreme measures to keep the working bees alive.

It makes no sense to compare the actions needed to contain the virus from spreading from the typical western world - information and service society - to the "world powers" stuck in the industrial age with cheap, low-educated workers. Taking "Home-Office" for 1-2 weeks instead of the regular 0.5/1 days per week is possible for the western world, but those measures don't work for the slave societys.
    Last edited by Ange; 2020-03-08 at 10:00 AM.
    -

There is also one from a 25 year old man who claimed it felt like he was suffocating the entire time...

I think a easier way to think of it is like chickenpox. Young children dont really suffer from it but are carriers while adults suffer and the old die. Just you can never get a immunity to it...
    yesterday china release statement that according to autopsy of people who died in "hard" cases it leads to fibrossis of lungs and can cause permanent damage to lungs. they still have no clue what long lasting effects it will have on human bodies.

people shoudl imidiately stop comparing coronavirus to flu because they are not same deseases.

- - - Updated - - -

yesterday china release statement that according to autopsy of people who died in "hard" cases it leads to fibrossis of lungs and can cause permanent damage to lungs. they still have no clue what long lasting effects it will have on human bodies.

people shoudl imidiately stop comparing coronavirus to flu because they are not same deseases.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason for shutting down the "slave-work camps" with 7-workdays-weeks and 7/24 sleeprotations for the same bed might be a different one as you expect.

COVID-19 is infectious before it even shows symptomes, so it cant be contained in such kind of work-camps, because it would spread in those inhuman conditions. High population density and working conditions that could only be described as labor camps is forcing china to more extreme measures to keep the working bees alive.

It makes no sense to compare the actions needed to contain the virus from spreading from the typical western world - information and service society - to the "world powers" stuck in the industrial age with cheap, low-educated workers. Taking "Home-Office" for 1-2 weeks instead of the regular 0.5/1 days per week is possible for the western world, but those measures don't work for the slave societys.
    really ? - those "amazing western coulture" are in direct danger because those slave societies produce most of active compponents for most stron medications like antibiotics.

if we cant contain this virus we are on verge of collapse of this "amazing modern societies" which moved all their production ot asia.

if west would be to move it back it would cause imidiate 50-100% inflation in most of industry branches - and most of people would found themselve very very poor.

10+ Year Old Account

I mean one could also say if its so dangerous then when why aren't other nations following suit (I'm not saying it is or isn't dangerous. I don't think dwelling on China is useful). The most populated nation in the world thats also extremely dense. They can't afford for a dense to run rampant whether its a cold or ebola.

What can be said is that eastern countries tend to react to outbreaks in a more organized fashion. Here in the US we're basically everyone man for themselves while cases continue to climb and people being told they're infected by newscasts.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm comforted by random posters on a gaming forum saying there is nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I'm comforted by random posters on a gaming forum saying there is nothing to worry about.
    The best example is Africa dude. Nobody got sick there. This proves Coronavirus is either a hoax or just a mild flu at worst.

Edit: addin /s in case Poes Law earns me a red card

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    The best example is Africa dude. Nobody got sick there. This proves Coronavirus is either a hoax or just a mild flu at worst.

Edit: addin /s in case Poes Law earns me a red card
    Chuckling here. The /s wasn't necessary, for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Can people stop posting reasonable stuff like this it's really killing the hysteria vibe.
    Actually, you should be more worried that many have mild symptoms - because those are the ones that will think it's just a common cold and they can still go to work at the nursing home - since they need to pay their bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Arenis View Post
    And should they do according to you?
    Yes. /shortone

We will soon see - and I doubt your predictions will age well.

Many workers in the western world can take home-office for a few weeks, or stay home with sick-pay. But far from all.