Poll: Should we abolish the time change?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Vote to End time Change

Well it's spring forward again, the mornings are dark and the day is longer. Time change was created for economic reasons. Since it seems a lot of us do online shopping I believe it's "time" to get rid of the time change here in the states.

What say you?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate it. Pick one or divide the two by 30 mins and be done with the time change. It is one of the most stupid laws we have.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    I like longer days.

And literally everything I own with a clock on it other than perhaps my microwave automatically adjusts itself to the change, so its not like the change inconveniences me in any way, even slightly.

Getting an extra hour of sleep, awesome!

Getting an hour less sucks...

Catch 22 !

I don't like it either but the farmers love it lol.

Every year I spring back and get a free day off by missing work.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Getting an extra hour of sleep, awesome!

Getting an hour less sucks...

Catch 22 !
    Thankfully you don't lose or gain sleep in a biological sense, on the down side is there is no such thing as making up for lost sleep, when the damage is done it is done lol. Also if you are not getting 6-8 hours of solid sleep hitting all of your rem cycles you will get a major bran disease later in life guaranteed.

So this is a bad practice just for the sake of peoples health in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I don't like it either but the farmers love it lol.
    It has nothing to do with farming. Farmers work in the light regardless of what time it is, they make their own hours.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It has nothing to do with farming. Farmers work in the light regardless of what time it is, they make their own hours.
    That is the greatest lie ever told in Canada then lol, The effects on brain health is 100% fact though, you will get a major brain disease which has been directly linked to improper sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    That is the greatest lie ever told in Canada then lol, The effects on brain health is 100% fact though, you will get a major brain disease which has been directly linked to improper sleep.
    I grew up hearing it was because of farmers and it never made sense to me even though I believed the lie, it wasn't until I researched it that I found out that wasn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Dairy farmers for example are one of the biggest sufferers from daylight savings bullshit. The economic loss due to animals getting stressed the fuck out due to shifting time tables is huge.
    Frankly, that is their own fault for not just compensating their time tables accordingly. Farming is largely tied to the environment, either the light or the animals. Neither cares about a clock.

If I remember correctly we're (finally) getting rid of it in 2021 here in the EU.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Aside from the fact the farming justification is nonsense, modern farming is often almost entirely automated anyway; I have friends who own a large corn farm in Iowa (they sell it to a local ethanol plant), and it's fascinating hearing them talk about how they operate using GPS to plant and harvest through close to full automation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Yes, it is super easy for the farmers to just switch their schedule twice a year compared to the rest of the world.
    It would be, if they really wanted to. But they don't care to even try, apparently.

If there's one thing I do agree with, with Marco Rubio on...his "Lock the Clock" bill he's put forth.

Wanted to ask what is wrong with "End Time".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    If I remember correctly we're (finally) getting rid of it in 2021 here in the EU.
    Sadly... And i'm not a fan of that.

The only reason for me not being a fan of it is that if we pick summer time it means that during winther day wil come up around 9AM. And if we pick wither time it means that in summer day will go dawn at 22PM. Anyway most people here in Portugal are already asking for summer time.

Looks like i'm going to be forced to get used to this .

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Sadly... And i'm not a fan of that.

The only reason for me not being a fan of it is that if we pick summer time it means that during winther day wil come up around 9AM. And if we pick wither time it means that in summer day will go dawn at 22PM. Anyway most people here in Portugal are already asking for summer time.

Looks like i'm going to be forced to get used to this .
    About 10 years ago or so, Indiana decided to observe DST. Before that, it didn't (Arizona still doesn't). During the summer, we were on Central USA time, meaning the sun was still out around 10-1030pm (2230). Sun still came up around 530-6am. That was great. I had no problem with those times. I even worked 3rd shift during that time. I miss that, and would have no problem with it returning.

DST is stupid and needs to go away. Thankfully I didn't have to work Sunday, so when I woke up and the clock said it was nearly 10 am, I thought I overslept. Then I remembered it was really like it was almost 9am when I realized what day it was.

yep my state has a bill now that has passed to end it.. the interesting part will be I live in one state and work in another... I told my Manager that if it passes i'm working on my states time year around lol.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

7+ Year Old Account
    Daylight Saving is NOT for Farmers.

Despite popular belief, DST has nothing to do with farming. ... Farmers didn't like DST when it was first introduced and most don't like it to this day. During the first World War I experiment in 1918, farmers were extremely opposed to having to turn back and forward their clocks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time