Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Anyway, my list..

Bottom-Left: The Black Cauldron

Bottom-Middle: Deep Blue Sea

Bottom-right: Anaconda
    I still have never seen the Black Cauldron, but I heard it was good. I love Deep Blue Sea and Anaconda. I had an ex who regretted seeing it, because I was constantly doing a bad impression of Jon Voight doing that terrible Spanish accent.

Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    Did Obama get his orating skills from The Rock's character??

Edit - I was mesmerized.
    He acts like this the entire movie. This was well before he became the A-list go-to action dude he is today and you can tell he was destined for greatness. Oh, he also delivered this fucking line which doesn't get quoted nearly enough imo.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account

Virus, for those who don't remember, was a 1999 horror film directed by visual effects artist John Bruno and based on the Dark Horse comic book of the same name by co-screenwriter Chuck Pfarrer. Dark Horse owner Mike Richardson was an executive producer.

It starred Jamie Lee Curtis, William Baldwin, and Donald Sutherland, and told the story of a ship beset by a malevolent extraterrestrial entity that seeks to turn humanity into cyborg slaves.

It flopped, critically and commercially. It grossed $30 million worldwide against a budget of $75 million. It has a 9% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. http://https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1085867_virus?

Even Jamie Lee Curtis said "Virus is so bad that it's shocking… That would be the all-time piece of shit…It's just dreadful… That's the only good reason to be in bad movies. Then when your friends have [bad] movies you can say 'Ahhhh, I've got the best one. I'm bringing Virus.'

And even after all that I still liked the movie enough to buy the original comic books it was based on and action figures for the movie.I like they used practical effects for the monsters the desing for the creature has a strong System Shock vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I will defend Waterworld to my death, I loved that movie, I mean its not a masterpiece or even that great, but I thoroughly enjoy it
    I was saying before; It aged incredibly well. The negatives to it still exist, but it seems many critics that said it was a 1/4 movie came back to it in the mid 2000s and said it's more of a 2.5 or 3 out of 4 movie. I think it's pretty great, one of my favorites. It definitely builds the world really well and immerses (lol) you in it. One of it's bigger issues was people said it was just water Mad Max. I think it's a bit better than that hollow comparison, but as time has moved on I think we appreciate Mad Max more, and this rides along.

For whatever reason, if Kevin Costner is attached to a movie, I think he does a really good job at creating a living breathing world for that movie. Obviously movies like The Untouchables, Field of Dreams, Dances with Wolves don't get questioned, but his other work such as Waterworld, The Postman, hell even Robin Hood (as shit as it was), for all the flaws, the movies still work.

Which is something I think a lot of movies struggle with, like Equilibrium. It just struggles making the world real, despite the great action and performances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    There was a 5 year period (or so) where 4 of my favorite comedies premiered and all were panned when they came out:

Big Lebowski
    Cable Guy
    Death to Smoochy
    Mystery Men
    Cable Guy, there's another one, big big fan
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Cleveland Show, Insatiable on Netflix, and Apocalypse Now on Starz for TV shows. I have enjoyed each of the Star Wars movies, Sonic, and oddly enough the Warcraft movie too. When I watch something, I view it as a standalone piece not some representation of a franchise even if the movie/show is based on an existing franchise of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I liked the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie, and I wanted a sequel.
    You are NOT alone there. I happened to love that movie and not just because Ryan Reynolds was in it (he's on my "list" if you know what I mean from the Friends episode lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Series: Eli Stone. That got about 4 seasons less than it deserved.
    Movie: Aeon Flux. 9%/39% on rotten tomatoes. 14 year old me absolutely loved that movie.
    It's Charlize THeron in a skin tight costume. I think most 14 year olds loved that :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    Going way back to the 80s I have always absolutely adored both The Black Hole and Krull. Ooh, throw in Dragonslayer for good measure.

I've always just enjoyed what I enjoy and don't care about the opinions of critics or wannabe-critics. Hell, I love Man of Steel and Suicide Squad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I’ve thoroughly enjoyed most of the DC Universe movies. Are they genuinely good films? Probably not. But they’re absolutely fun. Not everything has to be a masterpiece or have some deep message with incredible camera work. Give me a mindless two hour escape any time. Same reasons I’ll watch Gone in Sixty Seconds or any of the mid to late 90s Adam Sandler movies any time they’re on.

Rambo: Last Blood

It's a phenomenal film, best of 2019 in my opinion. BUt the critics hate it for some reason. Must be those cold hard truths it doesn't shy away from.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rambo_last_blood

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    starship troopers is actually good and constantine is fun
    I think if you view the Starship Troopers movie as an actual propaganda film for the universe in which it is set, it's done really well. Not sure if it was intended to be viewed that way, but considering the breaks that show advertisements/news reels and character arcs I could completely buy that's the case. Irony is that you're supposed to be cheering at the end, but the reality of the situation is the main characters have lost their individual humanity and become part of the fascist/utilitarian system.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I think if you view the Starship Troopers movie as an actual propaganda film for the universe in which it is set, it's done really well. Not sure if it was intended to be viewed that way, but considering the breaks that show advertisements/news reels and character arcs I could completely buy that's the case. Irony is that you're supposed to be cheering at the end, but the reality of the situation is the main characters have lost their individual humanity and become part of the fascist/utilitarian system.
    It was absolutely supposed to be viewed that way. Next time you watch, pay close attention to every single veteran of the war like the teacher and the guy who signs Rico up for the military. They are all horribly injured and missing limbs. It was one big dig at how much war sucks and how propaganda lures in young people just to use them and spit them out. Hell, one of the main character's shows up in a Nazi SS uniform at the end. The best part is that is nothing like the book. In fact, they mostly bought the rights to the book simply because they wanted to use the title. They just tweaked some character and place names to match the book. The best part is the book is the complete opposite. It is a very right-wing, pro military, pro fascism novel. But that is also a big reason why it flopped at first, because people didn't get it was meant to be satire and figured it had the same political leanings at the book.

I bet if that movie had been released today, it would have the exact opposite reaction and people would be mad because it is satire and it would be decried as "woke" and "SJW bullcrap." What a world we live in... Can't use Nazi imagery to make fun of the fascists, they might get mad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Standout TV shows that I really wish were continued are Flash Forward, Stargate Universe, and the 2013 Dracula series (Jonathan Rhys Meyers). SGU has already been mentioned, so I won't go into that. Flash Forward was an excellent concept that the reality TV watching mouth breathers of the time just couldn't understand, and so it was a ratings flop. The Jonathan Rhys Meyers fronted Dracula show was an excellent turn of the century approach that was well written and solidly acted, to the point that I've no idea why the critics hated it.

Edit - Forgot about the Constantine TV series. Another ace show that for some reason, folks just didn't get on with.

Hackers is so good but was panned but now fondly looked back on.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

7+ Year Old Account
    I fucking love John Carter, i don't know, movie just shine on my soul, it was something so unique the time watched that stuck with me, i ha to read the books, and i still love how the movie ended, since it will not be continuation, with a final closure to the story

I serious don't know how or why failed, the acting?
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2020-03-15 at 04:37 PM.

M.A.N.T.I.S.

Great show

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I fucking love John Carter, i don't know, movie just shine on my soul, it was something so unique the time watched that stuck with me, i ha to read the books, and i still love how the movie ended, since it will not be continuation, with a final closure to the story
    I serious don't know how or why failed, the acting?
    According to scuttlebutt, advertising and promotion was a disaster.
    But yeah...a good movie despite that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea if critics hated the first Mortal Kombat movie, but i love it and consider it one of best video games movie ever made
    Also Lucifer is surprisingly not liked by critics yet i like that series
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Baseketball.

I heard it was bad, but I liked it, tbh.

Out Cold
    Grandma’s Boy
    Empire Records
    Equilibrium
    Just to name a few.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    According to scuttlebutt, advertising and promotion was a disaster.
    But yeah...a good movie despite that.
    i read somewhere it was because it was in the middle of other two successful movies, so it compete with then on cinema

Rly unfair, the scene when he fight and show flashbacks of him burying his wife still give me chills

This one i love too:

but it failed hard, and to me the thematic was amazing, blending sci with medieval setting.