Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

It doesn't make sense to you because somehow you can't imagine both series being great yet different. Idk, like Star Wars and Star Trek? I'd prefer both would have their own fate even if it's eternal rest for the older one. Now one franchise will absorb another especially if BG3 will be a success which is almost guaranteed.

Edit. Endus, imagine Fallout without it's iconic features. That's what I meant.
    Last edited by DreamSlaveOne; 2020-03-09 at 02:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSlaveOne View Post
    It doesn't make sense to you because somehow you can't imagine both series being great yet different. Idk, like Star Wars and Star Trek? I'd prefer both would have their own fate even if it's eternal rest for the older one. Now one franchise will absorb another especially if BG3 will be a success which is almost guaranteed.

Edit. Endus, imagine Fallout without it's iconic features. That's what I meant.
    So, with orange text, and country music instead?

That's Fallout: New Vegas, which everyone loved.

Starting as not being a Vault survivor? That's Fallout 2. You're a tribal.

Not sure this example is really helping your case.

Can you multiclass like in Deadfire?
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2020-03-09 at 05:24 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Can you multiclass like in Deadfire?
    Most likely. You can multiclass in 5e.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not exactly sure about Volothamp "Volo" Geddarm but wasn't he just a normal human wizard? How is he still alive almost 150 years after the events of Baldur's Gate? Something must have happened to him that I am unaware of.

Or is his appearance in BG3 a flashback of sorts?

EDIT: Well it appears that it's a story yet untold if I'm understanding some really old Ed Greenwood tweets (which means that BG3 might actually reveal new lore regarding Volo). I know that the second sundering in 5e Forgotten Realms undid a lot of what happened with the Spellplague in 4e but it's really kinda odd to see people that should be dead be alive instead.

A bit offtopic, but we really need a 5e Forgotten Realms Campaign Settings book. I'm still using my 3e one. Not everyone reads all the Drizzt books and other related FR books (mostly because they are not great) and seeing Bruenor Battlehammer show up alive in OotA was already rather strange, seeing as he died in 4e.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2020-03-10 at 01:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I am not exactly sure about Volothamp "Volo" Geddarm but wasn't he just a normal human wizard? How is he still alive almost 150 years after the events of Baldur's Gate? Something must have happened to him that I am unaware of.

Or is his appearance in BG3 a flashback of sorts?

EDIT: Well it appears that it's a story yet untold if I'm understanding some really old Ed Greenwood tweets (which means that BG3 might actually reveal new lore regarding Volo). I know that the second sundering in 5e Forgotten Realms undid a lot of what happened with the Spellplague in 4e but it's really kinda odd to see people that should be dead be alive instead.

A bit offtopic, but we really need a 5e Forgotten Realms Campaign Settings book. I'm still using my 3e one. Not everyone reads all the Drizzt books and other related FR books (mostly because they are not great) and seeing Bruenor Battlehammer show up alive in OotA was already rather strange, seeing as he died in 4e.
    Well, i don't think we will see an explicit campaign setting book for Forgotten Realms anymore than what we have received with the existing books. This is because Forgotten Realms lore is almost explicitly told through the novels at this time. We are getting continued companion adventure books to go along with BG3, that was part of the reason Descent into Avernus was printed, and Out of the Abyss tells some info about relevant characters. If anything Forgotten Realms has the most lore contained in printed D&D books due to all the adventures, i just don't think we will see an actual source book because the regular books are treated as those (PH\DM\MM\Volo Etc). They use Campaign Settings books to flesh out the less represented settings like Eberron and now Wildmont.

If you want a TLDR reason for Bruenor being back, Mielikki took the companions and "reborn" them with their memories intact because they were needed by her chosen. The books are good enough, and if you want to know what is going on in D&D Prime universe, that was exactly why the Sundering series was written. It was every author explaining where their characters are in the reforged world.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Well, i don't think we will see an explicit campaign setting book for Forgotten Realms anymore than what we have received with the existing books. This is because Forgotten Realms lore is almost explicitly told through the novels at this time. We are getting continued companion adventure books to go along with BG3, that was part of the reason Descent into Avernus was printed, and Out of the Abyss tells some info about relevant characters. If anything Forgotten Realms has the most lore contained in printed D&D books due to all the adventures, i just don't think we will see an actual source book because the regular books are treated as those (PH\DM\MM\Volo Etc). They use Campaign Settings books to flesh out the less represented settings like Eberron and now Wildmont.

If you want a TLDR reason for Bruenor being back, Mielikki took the companions and "reborn" them with their memories intact because they were needed by her chosen. The books are good enough, and if you want to know what is going on in D&D Prime universe, that was exactly why the Sundering series was written. It was every author explaining where their characters are in the reforged world.
    It does make sense there won't be another because most of the 3rd edition information is still relevant (or relevant again) but I do think a downsized type of campaign book could work that omits all the regional data and info. I do understand the source books are now more FR which was a good change. I've never really been a big fan of the books (the first Drizzt series was alright) but it would appear that I should really read the sundering series to get up to scratch with current 5e FR. It's not necessarily a big deal to me, as my players aren't really the type to know everything (or anything at all) about FR so I can just run with my own version but I kinda like to keep it a bit in synch.

I had to do some research regarding Bruenor as I'm currently running the OotA adventure and I was very confused how Bruenor was alive all of a sudden. Luckily the wiki is alright and found what I was looking for. After OotA we'll move on to Descent into Avernus which looks like a great adventure (Baldur's Gate is quite a mess).
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2020-03-10 at 03:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

There's a couple specific things in 5e that mean we'll never get an FR campaign setting book;

1> FR is the default setting. They've largely abandoned Greyhawk at this point. Most of the adventures are set in the FR.
    2> The FR is so goddamned big, you can't cram it into a single book. I'd imagine we're likely to get books like the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide rather than any proper overall campaign setting book.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does make sense there won't be another because most of the 3rd edition information is still relevant (or relevant again) but I do think a downsized type of campaign book could work that omits all the regional data and info. I do understand the source books are now more FR which was a good change. I've never really been a big fan of the books (the first Drizzt series was alright) but it would appear that I should really read the sundering series to get up to scratch with current 5e FR. It's not necessarily a big deal to me, as my players aren't really the type to know everything (or anything at all) about FR so I can just run with my own version but I kinda like to keep it a bit in synch.

I had to do some research regarding Bruenor as I'm currently running the OotA adventure and I was very confused how Bruenor was alive all of a sudden. Luckily the wiki is alright and found what I was looking for. After OotA we'll move on to Descent into Avernus which looks like a great adventure (Baldur's Gate is quite a mess).
    Descent is great. Also the Sundering is a decent enough series, it starts with Salvatore and ends with Greenwood i believe. As someone who has grown up reading Salvatore and have met the man multiple times and had many facebook conversations with him, i am a bit biased in my appreciation of him. Do i think it has the depth of some modern authors like Sanderson etc? No, but he is still my favorite author, especially for combat. If you just read the Sundering books by each author, you will get info on a ton of gods, the goings on in the Hells, what Chosens really are now, and how magic works again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's a couple specific things in 5e that mean we'll never get an FR campaign setting book;

1> FR is the default setting. They've largely abandoned Greyhawk at this point. Most of the adventures are set in the FR.
    2> The FR is so goddamned big, you can't cram it into a single book. I'd imagine we're likely to get books like the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide rather than any proper overall campaign setting book.
    Agree completely and that was my points. I was not arguing for one. Greyhawk is been shelved per Perkins until it feels right to revive. Eberron is tiny in the scale compared to FR, and Wizards now has access to so many other niche settings that draw people i doubt we will ever see Greyhawk in any large state again.

For me, Forgotten Realms is great for people who want well established lore (their wiki is amazing) and a varied content. Do you want pirates? Check. How about Dinosaurs? Check. Want politics or wildlands? Both exist. Its also so big you can homebrew your own plot and it honestly could easily slot in anywhere in the world. I did a campaign based on Mask and Cyrus that my players loved, even the heavy FR guys.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    We're soon going to have a load of people calling themselves "huge BG fans!" even though they've never played anything before Larian's BG3.

Better get used to it, same thing happened with e.g when Bethesda took over fallout.
    Oh noes! People brought into a series with the latest entry who may try the older games, or who help the continuation ofbsaid series, that without the new blood, may not get another game.

Whi the fuck cares if they become a big fan and only played one game? Does it really hurt your pride that they may not have played the first two but are fans of the series?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Oh noes! People brought into a series with the latest entry who may try the older games, or who help the continuation ofbsaid series, that without the new blood, may not get another game.

Whi the fuck cares if they become a big fan and only played one game? Does it really hurt your pride that they may not have played the first two but are fans of the series?
    Gatekeeping.

For when your precious nostalgia is threatened by other people enjoying what used to be a niche hobby.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    ~SNIP~
    Dude you still HAVE that?!

I just moved and going through boxes of crap that just follow me whenever I move going from closet to closet; most of them filled with old boxes and CDs for old games like this.

I was going to throw them away. Now I am not.

When my wife gets mad at this change of mind; I will direct her here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

10+ Year Old Account

I never got the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide because we changed to 5e later, and I was under impression that most of what was in SCAG was also in Xanathar. It is a nice change of pace though that FR has become default, and not Greyhawk.

- - - Updated - - -

Descent is great. Also the Sundering is a decent enough series, it starts with Salvatore and ends with Greenwood i believe. As someone who has grown up reading Salvatore and have met the man multiple times and had many facebook conversations with him, i am a bit biased in my appreciation of him. Do i think it has the depth of some modern authors like Sanderson etc? No, but he is still my favorite author, especially for combat. If you just read the Sundering books by each author, you will get info on a ton of gods, the goings on in the Hells, what Chosens really are now, and how magic works again.
    Gonna see if I can pick them up somewhere soon. I don't mind Salvatore, he's passable. He wouldn't be my first choice but he doesn't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    3.5 was great, but i believe the 5th is the new king.
    Yep, my family and I are starting a new Campaign this weekend all based in 5e, I have read some of 3.5 but most people I know recommend 5e and that is how I started playing. I really enjoy it, made a Hobgoblin Eldrich Knight and it is going to be fun as hell.

7+ Year Old Account
    I never got the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide because we changed to 5e later, and I was under impression that most of what was in SCAG was also in Xanathar.
    "most of what's in SCAG is in Xanathar" is mainly directed toward the subclasses and stuff I feel. SCAG itself has a lot of lore information. Xanathar's has a lot of gameplay stuff and optional rules and how to handle things like traps/downtime in a more comprehensive way as well as all the new sub classes. Xanathar's doesn't have much lore in it.

- - - Updated - - -

As someone who is new to D&D (me) but would like to learn more of its lore, where would you recommend one start? - Book wise!

10+ Year Old Account
    I never got the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide because we changed to 5e later, and I was under impression that most of what was in SCAG was also in Xanathar. It is a nice change of pace though that FR has become default, and not Greyhawk.
    Not really, at all.
    They both have a lot of class options, but there's no overlap. Different subclasses for each book.
    Xanathar's has a lot of really solid DM stuff like trap design and downtime activities and some bonus optional rules for things.
    SCAG has big sections on the Sword Coast's history and lore and so forth.

If there's a set of books that have heavy overlap, it's the two Eberron releases. Buy the new one, Rising From the Last War, not the Wayfinder's Guide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, at all.
    They both have a lot of class options, but there's no overlap. Different subclasses for each book.
    Xanathar's has a lot of really solid DM stuff like trap design and downtime activities and some bonus optional rules for things.
    SCAG has big sections on the Sword Coast's history and lore and so forth.

If there's a set of books that have heavy overlap, it's the two Eberron releases. Buy the new one, Rising From the Last War, not the Wayfinder's Guide.
    Seems I have been quite misinformed, gonna have to get SCAG, especially cause Sword Coast is an interesting area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems I have been quite misinformed, gonna have to get SCAG, especially cause Sword Coast is an interesting area.
    The one big criticism of the SCAG is that there's not enough lore and setting-specific stuff to satisfy people who want a campaign setting, and not enough character options to make it a proper player options supplement. It does both, kinda halfway, compared to a proper campaign setting book. It's also a bit cheaper; the MSRP is ~$40 US, where the "main" books tend to be ~$50. Some of the options are super helpful, though, like the two melee-weapon-based cantrips, which are amazingly good in pretty much any gish build that isn't Eldritch Knight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    "most of what's in SCAG is in Xanathar" is mainly directed toward the subclasses and stuff I feel. SCAG itself has a lot of lore information. Xanathar's has a lot of gameplay stuff and optional rules and how to handle things like traps/downtime in a more comprehensive way as well as all the new sub classes. Xanathar's doesn't have much lore in it.

- - - Updated - - -

As someone who is new to D&D (me) but would like to learn more of its lore, where would you recommend one start? - Book wise!

O god. Okay let's see. Gonna give you a bit of background first, to explain why i recommend what I do.

Forgotten Realms which is D&D's present prime universe takes place largely on Faerûn. This world is home to everything you see in the normal D&D books. It is closely tied to modern D&D, and this represented by massive in-lore world changes that take place at the start of each new numbered edition. Most recently being the Sundering, which spawned 5th edition. The Sundering ended the hundred years of the Spellplague where natural disasters and calamities ran rampant on the world (known as Toril). The Post-Sundering world is still relatively new to the lore, but I think you can easily find 20-30 novels in that range that are worth a read if you like fantasy.
    The ones that i think would set you on the best course is a collection known as the Sundering series
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w...ering_(series)

The reason is, this is a largely self-contained set of six novels by the six primary authors of modern forgotten realms. It starts with R.A. Salvatore (he is decisive in the fantasy novel world, largely because his flowery combat description at the cost of other depth) and his main hero from Forgotten Realms Drizzt. Drizzt as a character has led to many players wanting to play a "Dark Elf Ranger".

It ends with Ed Greenwood who is a founder of the universe, and his wizard Elminster is something else. This is a wizard who on multiple occasions has been in the equivalent of Hell, dead, and had sex with his goddess. I have met Greenwood and now know why his wizard is eccentric.

In the six books, you will be introduced to 6 different authors who all have different writing styles. Their stories take place at the same time (1484 Dale Reckoning - in game calendar), but all located in different parts of the world. This will expose you to many different races , deities and cultures. And if you like any of the books, i believe they each act as book 1 in the respective author next series. Is it the strongest set of novels in Forgotten Realms, no, but it will do a good job of introducing the universe, and introducing the authors who write in it.

7+ Year Old Account
    O god. Okay let's see. Gonna give you a bit of background first, to explain why i recommend what I do.

Forgotten Realms which is D&D's present prime universe takes place largely on Faerûn. This world is home to everything you see in the normal D&D books. It is closely tied to modern D&D, and this represented by massive in-lore world changes that take place at the start of each new numbered edition. Most recently being the Sundering, which spawned 5th edition. The Sundering ended the hundred years of the Spellplague where natural disasters and calamities ran rampant on the world (known as Toril). The Post-Sundering world is still relatively new to the lore, but I think you can easily find 20-30 novels in that range that are worth a read if you like fantasy.
    The ones that i think would set you on the best course is a collection known as the Sundering series
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w...ering_(series)

The reason is, this is a largely self-contained set of six novels by the six primary authors of modern forgotten realms. It starts with R.A. Salvatore (he is decisive in the fantasy novel world, largely because his flowery combat description at the cost of other depth) and his main hero from Forgotten Realms Drizzt. Drizzt as a character has led to many players wanting to play a "Dark Elf Ranger".

It ends with Ed Greenwood who is a founder of the universe, and his wizard Elminster is something else. This is a wizard who on multiple occasions has been in the equivalent of Hell, dead, and had sex with his goddess. I have met Greenwood and now know why his wizard is eccentric.

In the six books, you will be introduced to 6 different authors who all have different writing styles. Their stories take place at the same time (1484 Dale Reckoning - in game calendar), but all located in different parts of the world. This will expose you to many different races , deities and cultures. And if you like any of the books, i believe they each act as book 1 in the respective author next series. Is it the strongest set of novels in Forgotten Realms, no, but it will do a good job of introducing the universe, and introducing the authors who write in it.
    No worries, thank you for the recommendations, was mainly looking for where to start from and the Sundering series sounds like a good chunk. Yes I love fantasy books the most so I'll be happy getting into these I'm sure haha.