Poll: How long do you want to live for?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And then there's brain functions that decay...as well as the body that goes all to pieces.
    Yes but maybe in hundreds of years they could prevent senescence and death. Just because we can't live forever that doesn't mean we shouldn't tell the younger generations to shoot for the stars.

and finding meaning in an existence that has no meaning...
    There's no *ultimate* meaning which is a good thing because it means you can always continue the journey and look for something new.

seems that boredom is your fated lot...
    Impossible, there are an infinite amount of problems which means there's an infinite amount of fun to be had in solving them.

Possibly some group might see the immortal as a living time capsule, and encase the person in concrete and bury him/her for later...
    You're talking about invincibility and not immortality. An immortal couldn't live in a capsule unless it constantly fed in some kind of energy source that is needed to keep your brain running. It would also need to be based on the consent of the person inside.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-03-11 at 01:05 AM.

I reckon you get to 70 healthy and whatever happens your body will start proper going to hell. Might as well kick it in around there.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yes but maybe...
    That's all you...because the other side of that equation ("maybe not") you never understand...and you never will until you get older.

I feel a song coming;

The problem with those accident-based predictions is that they're assuming that accident rates will remain the same as they are now forever into the future. They assume that we're at the pinnacle of safety, which I would say is wrong and that there's an unlimited capacity to make society a bit safer than it was in the prior year.
    At this point I just call it indefinite life. Unclear how long you'd actually live if aging was off the table. Besides, I'd imagine you'd get pretty bored after a few thousand anyways.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    At this point I just call it indefinite life. Unclear how long you'd actually live if aging was off the table. Besides, I'd imagine you'd get pretty bored after a few thousand anyways.
    No why would year 3,000 be any different than year 30 as far as boredom? Each era would bring new and interesting challenges that immortals would have to overcome. There can't be a problem-free utopia and so there can't truly be boredom either.

In addition there's no end to the amount of art that can be created such as games, music, movies, etc. I've never gotten bored with art and I don't see why anyone would in the future.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-03-11 at 01:50 AM.

As long as possible, because I want to see how technology progresses.

Once upon a time I had hopes for technological progress...not anymore. Capitalism ruined that all to hell..

10+ Year Old Account
    As the song says: https://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/clancy..._20640667.html

I'm a rambler I'm a gambler
    I'm a long ways from home.
    And if you don't like me well leave me alone.
    I'll eat when I'm hungry and I'll drink when I'm dry,
    And if moonshine don't kill me I'll live till I die.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Either A: until I die, or B: until I choose to stop, possibly suicide by bearfighting.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Until 70. I've seen my great-gradfather sufering from severe dementia, same thing with his son my grandfather, even it was much less severe. On my father side same shit, my grandmother had it aswell.

On my own experience that thing only starts attacking after 70, so that's my target age, i don't want to have that shit.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Until 70. I've seen my great-gradfather sufering from severe dementia, same thing with his son my grandfather, even it was much less severe. On my father side same shit, my grandmother had it aswell.

On my own experience that thing only starts attacking after 70, so that's my target age, i don't want to have that shit.
    That sounds more like genetics at play. But it can have less of a impact if you drink coffee/tea. And do other things to help stimulate your blood flow in the brain.

My grandmother was 95 when she died and she did not seem to suffer much the years before she did. Her mind was sharp and she went to sleep one night and never woke up. She dipped snuff most of her life and that is another substance which some research seems to suggest helps protect from dementia. Nicotine.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-03-11 at 12:00 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That sounds more like genetics at play. But it can have less of a impact if you drink coffee/tea. And do other things to help stimulate your blood flow in the brain.
    My average is 3/4 expressos every single day .

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    My grandmother was 95 when she died and she did not seem to suffer much the years before she did. Her mind was sharp and she went to sleep one night and never woke up. She dipped snuff most of her life and that is another substance which some research seems to suggest helps protect from dementia. Nicotine.
    The only Grandmother i still have alive is 94, and she shows no sign of dementia.

I smoke a pack a day, so the lack of nicotine doesn't seems a problem.

I'm still really scared about it, 2 out of my 4 grandparents had it, plus my great-grandfather, he died when i was 6 years old at age 86, and he couldn't even eat on his own .

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    My average is 3/4 expressos every single day .

The only Grandmother i still have alive is 94, and she shows no sign of dementia.

I smoke a pack a day, so the lack of nicotine doesn't seems a problem.

I'm still really scared about it, 2 out of my 4 grandparents had it, plus my great-grandfather, he died when i was 6 years old at age 86, and he couldn't even eat on his own .
    Well, I think you will be ok. The smoking may get you before you reach 70. Dipping snuff, chewing tobacco and smoking cigars/pipes are safer than sucking tobacco smoke down into your lungs. lol! All of those habits do have some risks however. But that is off topic and I do not mean to lecture you. Just a opinion.

And dementia and related illnesses is a horrible disease. I have some family members who have had loved ones suffer from it. Yeah, I rather just die than have to live with that.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-03-11 at 12:37 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    It's unlikely I'll get that far for various reasons, but 80 would be ideal. At that point, odds are I'll be satisfied with my life and pretty much ready to go.

Till my body breaks beyond use.

No why would year 3,000 be any different than year 30 as far as boredom? Each era would bring new and interesting challenges that immortals would have to overcome. There can't be a problem-free utopia and so there can't truly be boredom either.

In addition there's no end to the amount of art that can be created such as games, music, movies, etc. I've never gotten bored with art and I don't see why anyone would in the future.
    lmao you’re far too optimistic in the level of human innovation. Way too much.

I'd look upon with wonder at new religions getting spawned.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    lmao you’re far too optimistic in the level of human innovation. Way too much.
    Why's that? For any given innovation there are only ever two options; Either an innovation or achievement is forbidden by the laws of physics and is impossible or an innovation is not forbidden by the laws of physics and is achievable given the right knowledge. So if curing ageing is forbidden by the laws of physics then that innovation most certainly will never happen. If not then it can happen. I've yet to hear any good explanation for why the laws of physics can't allow a person to remain healthy for longer and longer timespans. In fact if you look at the statistics from the last few centuries you'd find that this process is already happening and there's no reason to think that it will hit an upper ceiling.

People have predicted tech achievements for over a century and never has it ever come about. Never.
    Anyone predicting such is citing a belief akin to religious belief. Except religion actually has more going for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Until I don't want to anymore.