Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    2 hours maybe. I had refused to do something shady on a file and a couple weeks later I was let go. I called my previous employer whom I had actually sought advice beforehand regarding the shady request. It was the middle of tax season so he was glad to have the extra help. His father who at one point was a recruiter for one of the big 4 helped me with my resume and I was offered a job as a controller at a manufacturing company.

Two months but it was more a vacation since I wasn't actively looking for employment and turning down contract work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a "job" working for my dad when I was like 14-18 (2008-2012), but he paid me less than minimum wage and it never counted for much since I couldn't use him as a reference. I did not get my first real job until summer 2014. I did not have a job in 2017 or 2018 due to graduate studies and caretaking responsibilities. I've been employed since early 2019.

15+ Year Old Account
    I didn't have a *real* job until I was 30. The rest was some on and off for most 6 months. I wouldn't call that employment.

9 months. Very stressful.

9 months about 5 years ago, let go due to uncontrollable circumstances but it was well needed and I was able to get myself into a nice head space before I was hired at my next job.

10+ Year Old Account
    3 weeks, I knew at an early age unemployment is a death sentence, now even more so. if you are out of work longer than 6months to a year it's probably over for you unless you know someone.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

On about 18 months at the moment. Not actively seeking employment right now either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drummer View Post
    I was one unemployed 15 months
    From 0 to age 12.
    After that i always had a job.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Two times (not counting 0 to 16 years of age). Once for 15 months and another time 7 months.

Funny thing, after the 15 months I got a job working for my State's DoL in the Unemployment Division, got laid off about 2 years later and then brought back. I collected unemployment ... from working for unemployment. They re-branded by division to Reemployment, but I basically do much of the same thing with some more responsibilities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    2008-2009....

got laid off after 25 years...took a lump sum payout, collected unemployment for 40+ weeks, got benefits.....took an almost 2 year vacation.

it was glorious!!!
    Did you just admit to committing unemployment insurance fraud?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post

Did you just admit to committing unemployment insurance fraud?
    Nope 100% legal, went through unemployment review and everything.

I was unemployed from the moment I walked out with my forced buy out and elimination of my job as ruled by the unemployment office.

I would apply for the same level job I had every so often and of course no one was hiring during that time so I met all standards for keeping unemployment

It was a glorious vacation!!! Don't be jelly.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Nope 100% legal, went through unemployment review and everything.

I was unemployed from the moment I walked out with my forced buy out and elimination of my job as ruled by the unemployment office.

I would apply for the same level job I had every so often and of course no one was hiring during that time so I met all standards for keeping unemployment

It was a glorious vacation!!! Don't be jelly.
    Every so often? You are required to make 3 efforts (applications/employer contacts) a week if you live in the states... I WORK FOR UNEMPLOYMENT. You literally are admitting to committing fraud ... your state/country has to be lazy if they actually checked you.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2020-03-11 at 10:54 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

hm tough question for 1 reason . if you include time when i was in University this would mean weeks between part time jobs that i was undertaking like projects in autoCAD for other students who were to lazy to do them but had to much disposable $$$$$$ to care

but after graduation ? i can easily say not even a single day . whenever i was leaving company for new one i always was using my 26-52 paid leave days (depending on months since in my country we have to use this time from last year till end of september and i nearly always had around 40 days .

and always new job was finding me before i was leaving my previous one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    On about 18 months at the moment. Not actively seeking employment right now either.
    not judging - maybe you can afford this

but people like you are reason why all social support programs which give $$$$ to uneployed people should be imidiately canceled as they are cancer for economy

10+ Year Old Account
    Around 8 years, from 2009 to 2017. Portuguese economy was really bad due to the crisis and baillout, unemployement rate skyrocket and almost hited 18%, there just wasn't any job to get. Around 2016 i got an occupation, i worked on construction for while, but i didn't had any social security, i wasn't paying taxes either and i wasn't even getting the minumum wage, actaully not even close. This occupation was pretty much an off the reckord job, totally ilegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Around 8 years, from 2009 to 2017. Portuguese economy was really bad due to the crisis and baillout, unemployement rate skyrocket and almost hited 18%, there just wasn't any job to get. Around 2016 i got an occupation, i worked on construction for while, but i didn't had any social security, i wasn't paying taxes either and i wasn't even getting the minumum wage, actaully not even close. This occupation was pretty much an off the reckord job, totally ilegal.
    now a real question

if you were unemployed for 8 years who paid for stuff like rent and food ? your parents ?

how can one surivive without work for 8 years

and if answer woudl be "social support" then we see how flawed this system is if it allows people to not work for 8 years

Technically 3 weeks.

I rage quit a job, got an interview 1 week after, passed it and asked to start in two weeks, as I needed some time off.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    now a real question

if you were unemployed for 8 years who paid for stuff like rent and food ? your parents ?
    I live with my mother, i don't pay rent, and during that time i had food.

how can one surivive without work for 8 years
    lost job in 2009, unemployment subside ended in 2011 by 2012 i no longer had any money. Hopefully i had a bed and food. Days passed by but since almost nothing happened during that time it looks like a void and i actually don't have much memories from that time. The days were huge, every single day was a pain, but time passed by.

During that time the only money i had was when my mother asked me to go to the grossery for shoppings, she always gave me the change, when i was lucky i could buy a pack of cigarrets.

I spent 4 or 5 years like this .

and if answer woudl be "social support" then we see how flawed this system is if it allows people to not work for 8 years
    Portuguese Social Security calcutes the social suport (Rendimento Social de Inserção) based on the family income, i lived with my mother and my brother, the income of my brother alone was enought to exclude me from any social suport. And yes, i applied for it twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just 4 months, from graduating uni to getting my first and only job so far. Honestly, with how much the job stresses me out and how little I enjoy it, I really wish I'd taken a full year off between graduation and employment, and I'm now very much considering doing just that once I quit.

not judging - maybe you can afford this
    I certainly can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

but people like you are reason why all social support programs which give $$$$ to uneployed people should be imidiately canceled as they are cancer for economy
    How are they a cancer for the economy?