Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    One sure way of tanking the economy...everyone on sick leave...all 150 some odd million people up and call out sick. Like one massive union action.
    ...there's a thought there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I hate to say it, but yeah, the government should be footing this bill, not employers.
    Well government money comes from taxes, and since they won't raise those, I really don't give two fucks if corporations are forced to pay for their employees to stay home.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Well government money comes from taxes, and since they won't raise those, I really don't give two fucks if corporations are forced to pay for their employees to stay home.
    Corporations should be fine (and I share your lack of concern for their well being). It's small businesses that suffer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Corporations should be fine (and I share your lack of concern for their well being). It's small businesses that suffer.
    Why do small businesses always get a pass as to why it's ok to treat their employees like shit? Minimum wage...health insurance....paid sick leave...oh won't someone think of those poor small business owners?! Its getting old that we keep Oking practices that shits all over employees just because it's a small business and not a corporation. They're both needing to be held accountable and of they can't they deserve to fail.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I posted on this already. I'll repeat: Alexander has a point. Until something of similar cost crosses his desk, such as an oil company bailout, and he signs it.

I set the price at $32 billion. Anything that, or higher, is the Hypocrisy Line.
    *coughs politely*

Senator Alexander was one of those that voted in favor of the Trump tax cuts.

There's your 32 billion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

They'll suffer more from sick/dead employees and sick/dead customers.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    As opposed to the people who work for said small businesses who are unable to take sick leave and expose themselves and everyone else in the process.

Sick leave and parental leave are, as far as I'm concerned, one of the minimum requirements of doing business like paying people a living wage or not lacing your baby formula with plaster. Owning a business is a privilege, people's welfare is a right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    *coughs politely*

Senator Alexander was one of those that voted in favor of the Trump tax cuts.

There's your 32 billion.
    Yes, but I was talking about specific coronavirus legislation. Which this feels like.

If, for example, Trump says "let's give the oil industry $50 billion" and he says "Sold!" he's a hypocrite. If he says "No, we can't afford that either" he slides by that time.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Why do small businesses always get a pass as to why it's ok to treat their employees like shit? Minimum wage...health insurance....paid sick leave...oh won't someone think of those poor small business owners?! Its getting old that we keep Oking practices that shits all over employees just because it's a small business and not a corporation. They're both needing to be held accountable and of they can't they deserve to fail.
    Someone doesn't understand how difficult it is to start and maintain a small business. I bet you don't even know the percentage that fail. Well, before you looked it up after I called you out, that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

They'll suffer more from sick/dead employees and sick/dead customers.
    It's not the point at all. The point is that our country needs a way to bridge this gap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    As opposed to the people who work for said small businesses who are unable to take sick leave and expose themselves and everyone else in the process.

Sick leave and parental leave are, as far as I'm concerned, one of the minimum requirements of doing business like paying people a living wage or not lacing your baby formula with plaster. Owning a business is a privilege, people's welfare is a right.
    I thought you'd be more informed about this subject. Kinda surprising.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the point at all. The point is that our country needs a way to bridge this gap.
    I'm not really sure why I should be so concerned with their finances, when these "small business owners" are typically unconcerned with their workers health, rights and finanaces.

I mean, if their attitude is "fuck those people", I'm not really sure why mine should be any different.

Just, be kind.

small business owners get sick too...just wait for it.

looks like we are on our own.

I agree with @Elegiac vis a vis privilege of business ownership vs rights of people, but I would say the reasons are largely:
    1) political: small business owners are major constituencies in most places- despite massive corporate concentration we still have tons of small business, and I would wager small business owners are generally more engaged politically as they are more in touch with the regulatory/tax implications of public policy
    2) practical: economies of scale are a thing- large companies are generally better suited to absorbing and adapting to added costs
    3) sinister: politicians (especially in the GOP) can use small business as a shield to prevent the regulations and costs that their large corporate donors want to avoid
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The country is fucked. On the one hand, I feel sorry for small business owners because they lack the negotiating power that larger companies have with a larger employee base and more cash to spend when it comes to things like negotiating for health care or influencing laws. On the other hand, I'm a firm believer that if you can't pay an employee minimum wage and offer them basic benefits, you don't deserve to own a business.

Small businesses are this bullshit thing that both sides use to pretend to care about the little guy. They got a temporary bone with Trump's tax breaks that won't last forever, long enough to appease them and ensure they vote for him again, but just like the farmers, eventually Trump or some other politician is going to sign a law or do something that'll fuck them over and our options are going to be to either subsidize their businesses, or turn the country over to corporations.

Then again we're already subsidizing the corporations so why not do the same for small businesses. At the end of the day, we hate and don't want to help the poor because they aren't people. Businesses are people.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's adorable seeing everyone here shitting all over small business owners. And they already hate corporations, right?

So, um, who's going to support the economy again?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's adorable seeing everyone here shitting all over small business owners. And they already hate corporations, right?

Yep, there it is folks, the idea that without "job creators" none of us would be able to do anything at all!

Just, be kind.

can't have an economy if you're dead!
    /joking

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, there it is folks, the idea that without "job creators" none of us would be able to do anything at all!
    I love that you don't think you're making a joke. You truly are in your "Location:".

Those either not sick or those that are ignoring quarantine going shopping.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starlord View Post
    can't have an economy if you're dead!
    /joking
    Lol - the point I'm trying to make is that small business owners work VERY hard. Extremely hard. And most of them fail. So having a government program that reimburses them for lost employee time is a very good policy - it's why almost every developed country has a categorical sick leave policy 100% sponsored by the government. To support small business owners (and others, of course).