Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    There are 3 ways to move. If you choose the smooth way to move like in any other non VR fps then there is the danger of motion sickness. That's why they also added the teleport method that seem to cause less nauseous stomaches.
    So it's essentially like Skyrim VR in terms of move options. Good! I personally prefer the continuous movement for the added immersion but that gives me motion sickness so I will definetly have to play with the blink on

A bit outdated but quite informative about vr headsets https://imgur.com/gallery/zIQn7NA
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I have.

Sure, it's better. But not nearly good enough by today's standards, imo.
    Tbf, they started the work in like 2008, so it should be compared to like a 2010 game, not a 2020 game.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Tbf, they started the work in like 2008, so it should be compared to like a 2010 game, not a 2020 game.
    However true that may be, it doesn't change the fact that it was unplayable for me.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

You can free move, too. No click and move needed. The floating hands feel very natural after a few seconds if you actually play it. It's awesome if you can use your own index finger to push a button or your hand to grab some stuff.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Anyone able to get into Black Mesa? I had to stop after 20 minutes; the outdated graphics really put me off. Too bad they barely upgraded the graphics while they were at it.
    Huh, are you high? Go back and try original half-life and then try black mesa. Its an indy remake thats been in the works for 14 years. They did a fantastic job.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2020-03-17 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Huh, are you high? Go back and try original half-life and then try black mesa. Its an indy remake thats been in the works for 14 years. They did a fantastic job.
    Relax, I'm sure they did a "good job" remaking it in that shitty engine. But...

If you think it looks well, we have very different standards. It looks like shit and no, not relatively speaking; I couldn't give a flying fuck about how "well it actually looks considering X variable". It doesn't change anything.

But hey, if you're impressed, have fun, I guess.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

If you think it looks well, we have very different standards. It looks like shit and no, not relatively speaking; I couldn't give a flying fuck about how "well it actually looks considering X variable". It doesn't change anything.

Compared to AAA games, no, they look like crap.

But this was an indie project done by what I understand to be a smallish team in their spare time? It's a huge improvement over HL1 and, while it's inconsistent in terms of visual quality/fidelity it's not "bad" either. It looks decidedly last-gen in general, but it ain't gonna get any better looking than this.

Your expectations are unreal. Its looks great for what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

But this was an indie project done by what I understand to be a smallish team in their spare time? It's a huge improvement over HL1 and, while it's inconsistent in terms of visual quality/fidelity it's not "bad" either. It looks decidedly last-gen in general, but it ain't gonna get any better looking than this.
    Unplayable graphics

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Unplayable graphics
    Considering Black Mesa is running on the source 2.0 engine... you know, the one that Half-Life 2 ran on in 2004? Yea, its outdated as fuck.

That said, graphically, they did an astounding job keeping the engine as aesthetically modern as possible. It does not, however, handwave the fact that it is, in fact, graphically old and subpar compared to modern contemporaries using more recent engine builds like unreal 3 and 4.
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2020-03-18 at 12:50 AM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/st...66870360387584

So it's VR. Who's ready for VR revolution?

Not me. It's not there yet. And this is just a BS way to get people to invest in their vr shit. They know anything half life would print money.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

I know it's a huge improvement. So was Star Fox 64 compared to Star Fox on the SNES; it still looks like shit by today's standards and today's standards is what I'm used to.
    You seem to keep missing the point; I never shared any expectations and you seemed to ignore the fact that I couldn't care less about how "well" you think it looks relatively speaking. Kim K. is beatiful compared to Lizzi V., but she's still an ugly troll that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    That said, graphically, they did an astounding job keeping the engine as aesthetically modern as possible. It does not, however, handwave the fact that it is, in fact, graphically old and subpar compared to modern contemporaries using more recent engine builds like unreal 3 and 4.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-03-18 at 12:36 PM.

I know it's a huge improvement. So was Star Fox 64 compared to Star Fox on the SNES; it still looks like shit by today's standards and today's standards is what I'm used to.

You seem to keep missing the point; I never shared any expectations and you seemed to ignore the fact that I couldn't care less about how "well" you think it looks relatively speaking. Kim K. is beatiful compared to Lizzi V., but she's still an ugly troll that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Exactly.
    No one is calling the graphics cutting edge, but saying that its unplayable is downright dishonest.

You seem to keep missing the point; I never shared any expectations
    Yes you have lol. You expect it to look like a modern game.. that expectation is unreal.

Yes you have lol. You expect it to look like a modern game.. that expectation is unreal.
    No, I don't expect it to look like a modern game; I never said, nor suggested anything like that.

You need to learn how to read properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    No one is calling the graphics cutting edge, but saying that its unplayable is downright dishonest.
    Unplayable, to me.

There's nothing dishonest about that opinion; I'm genuinely not able to enjoy it.

Here i am with 2 headsets and no controllers
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Looks like it would be great fun to play, but unfortunately VR still seems terrrrible for streaming and youtube. God damn that motion sickness and jumpiness every quarter second from subtle head movements is impossible to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    So it's essentially like Skyrim VR in terms of move options. Good! I personally prefer the continuous movement for the added immersion but that gives me motion sickness so I will definetly have to play with the blink on
    the blink is quicker too.
    the slowly moving is way slow.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    the blink is quicker too.
    the slowly moving is way slow.
    yeah for sure. Havent had much time to play it due to work but I tried it for a few minutes 2 days ago when it launched, the blink doesn't break immersion that much, although it's a bit annoying when you're teleported right in front of a door and you instintively cover your face as if you're about to get his by the door