Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Reroll to warlock?

Hello everyone, im currently thinking about rerolling from my DK to a warlock and just wondering, what would be the easiest spec to start with? Planning on doing mythic Nyalotha and M+ 10-15 keys.

As it stands right now, i got 120 2 days ago, 437 ilvl and shit essences.
    With my current setup i reach maybe 25-30k dps as demo in M+0 and M+2 bosses, i know that demo has quite a ramp up time, and with bosses dying in under 2 minutes i feel like i can't reach dps, or am i playing it wrong?

Here's armory for it: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ch...kazzak/Wiizleh

i stopped playing my warlock in 8.3 and moved to my DH. But I was destro and it’s much more bursts than demo or afflic
    Give that a shot but get vision of perfection essence basically gives you your infernal every fight I popped my CD and had vision proc twice to give me 3 infernals at one stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiizper View Post
    what would be the easiest spec to start with?
    Affliction.

Other than that, "help me pick my spec/class/faction/race" threads are not allowed on these forums.

Destro is the go-to raiding spec, and it's pretty good in M+ too. Most fights in Nya'lotha are suited to it due to having adds you can use to build up rolling havoc and proc flashpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Affliction.

Other than that, "help me pick my spec/class/faction/race" threads are not allowed on these forums.
    Well it's not as much help me pick as it is help me with motivation

Warlocks are for some reason considered the worst class for m+, so I wouldn't recommend anyone rerolling to one. If you don't have an established group, it's gonna be hell. Don't expect invites.

430 is bad last season gear, doing 30k dps was good enough for +10s back then if I remember correctly, not sure what do you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    Warlocks are for some reason considered the worst class for m+, so I wouldn't recommend anyone rerolling to one. If you don't have an established group, it's gonna be hell. Don't expect invites.

430 is bad last season gear, doing 30k dps was good enough for +10s back then if I remember correctly, not sure what do you expect.
    Warlocks bring fantastic utility and great damage. You aren't getting invites because you're a DPS class. DPS are dime a dozen, and 10 other people applied for your spot at the same time, half of them with a higher ilvl and raider.io score than you. Warlocks aren't the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    You aren't getting invites because you're a DPS class. DPS are dime a dozen, and 10 other people applied for your spot at the same time, half of them with a higher ilvl and raider.io score than you.
    No, that doesn't apply to me. But a fresh reroll is certainly gonna have an even worse time than I did.

The problem isn't the class, it's the community perception as always. You have no idea how many people leave or complain to the leader when they see a warlock invited to a group. There is a huge difference between now and legion or the first seasons of BfA. When it comes to pugging m+, this is the worst time to be a warlock so far.

As others said, Destruction is the spec to go when it comes to raiding and mythic +. While not every fight has adds, affliction has more unfavorable fights than destro. Demo is fun to play in m+, but only if you're with 2 melees, since you yourself won't bring an interrupt.

Destruction is also the spec that doesn't have "required" traits on its azerite and can play with a mix of several traits, provided you don't stack aoe traits for single target fights such as Rolling Havoc. Play affliction? You mostly need 3x Cascading and 3x Wracking Brilliance. Playing demo? You need 3x Explosive Potential, 1x Baleful Invocation and 1x Supreme Commander to function optimally.

And as also said, m+ is kinda tough for warlocks nowadays. We can still kick people's asses on dps by a huge margin if cds are timed properly, but we really don't bring much utility like roots, cloak, a reliable cc or short interrupts.

Warlocks bring fantastic utility and great damage.
    LOL!

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaWarlock View Post
    LOL!

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.
    Is an AoE stun, healthstones, a friendly magic dispel, a hostile dispel, an interrupt, a slow, banish, and fear not enough for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what exactly are your expectations, OP.

M+ Warlocks are on a weak side and are shunned by M+ PuGs so don't have expectations there.
    Raiding, however, Warlocks are good (as usual really) and Gateways are a key utility for a few Mythic bosses.

Currently Fire Mage has overall edge IMO simply because of the perfect storm of damage, immunity and cheat death. Destruction, while pumping fine and having plenty survivability, ends up relying on RNG a ton with VoP, which can be frustrating. As a bonus both wreck in PvP.

Affliction and Demonology are niche now - pointless specs to play, really. But then, these are all balance issues mostly.

- - - Updated - - -

Is an AoE stun, healthstones, a friendly magic dispel, a hostile dispel, an interrupt, a slow, banish, and fear not enough for you?
    To be fair, Warlock utility is ok, but not stellar. Gateway by far is the biggest gamechanger thing, really. HS is nice too. Rest is basically a situational fluff.

IMO, when it comes to raiding Fire Mages are stronger both utility-wise and overall. They have only two tricks, but these tricks are legit. They have this perfect storm of balancing luck and encounter design going for them this tier - in between immunity and 10 second controllable bursts with free AoE component - they are pretty rigged this time around. And they are pretty welcome in M+ as well.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-03-13 at 02:52 PM.

Raid utility far surpasses our utility in m+, but only because most other good ones, such as cloak, aren't useful in raids. Plus, out of all of those, the friendly dispel conflicts with interrupt + purge due to being tied to the demons. Banish only gets a single use in N'Zoth's neurons, and fear barely have any uses in any pve content, sadly. The only real utility we can ever realistically offer is gate, healthstones and interrupts, which is a shame.

You clearly don't have much of an idea about warlocks, but that list you mentioned is mutually exclusive. Warlocks don't have all of that at the same time, in every spec.

And fancy listing "a slow" and "fear' lol!

The only reason a warlock was ever a part of the 'meta' in m+ was enslave demon which worked on two mobs in legion. So all that shit you mentioned is obviously not enough, and practically irrelevant.

There's only like, 2 situations where banish makes a difference, and one isn't that relevant now due to Awakened affix (being able to banish painful mobs in UR, like the giant tiki mask).

AoE stuns are brought by melee and don't need to be casted.

Demonology is possibly the strongest spec for M+ for warlock, and they can't use imp/hound so no dispel/purge/interrupt. And honestly double checking but can't even see where you think locks are getting a slow beside from succubus, which makes it seem like you think someone's gonna be swapping pets almost every pull.

Fear sounds like a great idea when you want to fear something into another pack possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Affliction and Demonology are niche now - pointless specs to play, really. But then, these are all balance issues mostly.
    Affliction is still strong for single target fights. "Pointless" is misleading, as they can still shine on a fight like Shad'har and there's no reason to restrict yourself to only playing a single spec.

And demo is still really strong in M+ too, as far as lock goes at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AWildmann View Post
    As others said, Destruction is the spec to go when it comes to raiding and mythic +. While not every fight has adds, affliction has more unfavorable fights than destro. Demo is fun to play in m+, but only if you're with 2 melees, since you yourself won't bring an interrupt.

Destruction is also the spec that doesn't have "required" traits on its azerite and can play with a mix of several traits, provided you don't stack aoe traits for single target fights such as Rolling Havoc. Play affliction? You mostly need 3x Cascading and 3x Wracking Brilliance. Playing demo? You need 3x Explosive Potential, 1x Baleful Invocation and 1x Supreme Commander to function optimally.

And as also said, m+ is kinda tough for warlocks nowadays. We can still kick people's asses on dps by a huge margin if cds are timed properly, but we really don't bring much utility like roots, cloak, a reliable cc or short interrupts.
    I mean, destro "needs" Font of Power to really shine too, which can be just as frustrating to get at this point since Nya azerite has most of the BiS traits to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Affliction is still strong for single target fights. "Pointless" is misleading, as they can still shine on a fight like Shad'har and there's no reason to restrict yourself to only playing a single spec.

And demo is still really strong in M+ too, as far as lock goes at least.
    Whatever you said is the definition of niche, as I said. Affliction is really pointless though - you literally struggle to find a use for it nowadays - what you mentioned is effectively the only thing and even then, just barely and it's easymode boss that falls over nowadays anyway.

Same for Demo, except that its M+ niche can be covered just fine by Destruction and with interrupt as well.

That's the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Whatever you said is the definition of niche, as I said. Affliction is really pointless though - you literally struggle to find a use for it nowadays - what you mentioned is effectively the only thing and even then, just barely and it's easymode boss that falls over nowadays anyway.

Same for Demo, except that its M+ niche can be covered just fine by Destruction and with interrupt as well.

That's the reality.
    That isn't the definition of niche.

And if you want to gimp yourself just because "Oh that's easy mode because I'm SOOO good", then you do you. But misleading someone new to the class by being arrogant about it isn't ideal.

Affliction is just fine for any time you want to do single target damage. That's several fights in the raid, and there's situations of fights swapping to single target heavy that it can function just fine for an extra push in boss damage.

Too bad destro is just the most boring of the 3 specs to play with.

Demo is fun though.

I'd imagine for low keys destroy is great because it has such huge burst DPS, but for higher keys I'd imagine it maybe falls off? Not sure... I'm leveling one myself as an old Warlock main, playing DH and Hunter gets boring after awhile..