So tomorrow drop below 20k, I guess?
    If it closes below 20k, it will be below 20k for a few days because of weekend and I wonder what stupid shit Trump will do only because of that

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I was not being facetious. I don't think he was either.

The problem seems to be (ok one of the problems) that as the FAA does more thorough testing, they are finding things that did not get noticed before.

Kind of like the number of coronavirus cases in the US is likely underestimated due to the lack of testing.

Don't test for coronavirus: it spreads faster and quicker and does a lot more damage.
    Don't test airplanes: 2 fall out of the sky and 300 people die.

Now they ARE testing... or at least doing more than what was done before, and the things they are finding are not always cheap for Boeing to deal with.
    Damn regulations!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    So...unemployment = no taxes...
    Yeah, and piece of shit Republicans have spent three years patting themselves on the back for creating the largest deficit in US history via their tax cuts. People need to wake up and realize these fuckers have no qualms about democracy, fiscal responsibility, and human lives if it means they get to consolidate power and protect their base's self interests. They must be removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Well we're at 21,200 now. So let's look at the futures market:

Whoa. That's just...like...perfect.

If it closes below 20k, it will be below 20k for a few days because of weekend and I wonder what stupid shit Trump will do only because of that
    He'll blame mainstream media and democrats for all of it. And people will believe him.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    He'll blame mainstream media and democrats for all of it. And people will believe him.
    If it's only blaming everyone else, it's harmless.
    Pretty sure he will try some dumb shit. Some stupid tweets that people should be brave and go to work, so the economy can be saved. Can't believe I say that, but I think he is dumb enough for something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's only blaming everyone else, it's harmless.
    Pretty sure he will try some dumb shit. Some stupid tweets that people should be brave and go to work, so the economy can be saved. Can't believe I say that, but I think he is dumb enough for something like that.
    He already has.

You never hear about those people. So you can't put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and — or virus. So you just can't do that. So if, you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better, just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work but they get better.
    This is not a financial crisis, this is just a temporary moment of time that we will overcome together as a nation and as a world.

Seems like a great time to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    Feel free to buy all the oil companies' stocks. Some of them are down 80%. Real bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Feel free to buy all the oil companies' stocks. Some of them are down 80%. Real bargains.
    So you work in oil?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hate money, maybe. Anything to avoid admitting Trump caused this bear market, I suppose.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Part of me now wonders if companies selling alcohol actually do better when the economy falters.
    Doesn't look like it.

Anheuser-Busch InBev stock has lost nearly half its value over the past month, Heineken is down about 30% over the same time, Carlsberg also down about 30%, Brown–Forman (Jack Daniels, etc.) again down about 30%, Diageo (Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Baileys, Guinness, Crown Royal, Captain Morgan, etc.) is down 22%, Molson Coors is down by almost half, Asahi is down 40%.

That's about all the brands I know of off hand.
    Last edited by Masark; 2020-03-13 at 01:49 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    If you hate money, maybe. Anything to avoid admitting Trump caused this bear market, I suppose.
    March 31st is the end of fiscal period for my company and my wife's. I jokingly told her that, if MSFT is at $130 per share or lower, I would use my March 16 profit sharing check to buy MSFT. It looks like I'll be doing that.

Funny people here and all over have been saying the same thing now for over two weeks...some said it just two days ago...oops...poof 10%...poof 18% this week....

Timing the market has never been a smart play....

Stick to a long term strat unless you can really afford to gamble and sit on any result for years...

And..wow 1500 point swings in pre market over night across the world...but we've been here before as well.

And fyi as of close yesterday the market is only .2% away from the worst % week loss ever

..ever...scary.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Funny people here and all over have been saying the same thing now for over two weeks...some said it just two days ago...oops...poof 10%...poof 18% this week....

Stick to a long term strat unless you can really afford to gamble and sit on any result for years...

And..wow 1500 point swings in pre market over night across the world...but we've been here before as well.

And fyi as of close yesterday the market is only .2% away from the worst % week loss ever

..ever...scary.
    You have to forgive them, that's the only talking point that Trumpsters have been given for the stock market collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post

..ever...scary.
    Pretty much this I have just been waiting for stocks that I already own to go below what I originally purchased them years ago some have waiting for more of them to crash. I am not cashing these out for at least 30 years so I don't really care if they go even lower but to be fair I cashed out a lot of my profit years ago so technically this is play money.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Pretty much this I have just been waiting for stocks that I already own to go below what I originally purchased them years ago some have waiting for more of them to crash. I am not cashing these out for at least 30 years so I don't really care if they go even lower but to be fair I cashed out a lot of my profit years ago so technically this is play money.
    The people who swore it was "time to buy" would be out on their asses right now. I liquidated almost all of my stocks almost three weeks ago, and I'm not jumping back in until the volatility slows. There's no indication that we have bottomed out, and considering how many businesses are suspending operations, I expect to see some pretty weak economic numbers over the next 6 weeks.

Moderate bounce today then fall apart Monday again when some bad news is bound to show up again (or Trump does something stupid again.. I mean.. its like 3 days.. he bats almost a 100 on that)?

But the real damage hasn't even hit yet. So many closed businesses. So many major events closed down. So many dollars that won't be spent and transferred around. I get the feeling in about a month we will know how bad this is really going to be. Right now we are just watching dice rollers betting on how to make or break a buck.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2020-03-13 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The people who swore it was "time to buy" would be out on their asses right now. I liquidated almost all of my stocks almost three weeks ago, and I'm not jumping back in until the volatility slows. There's no indication that we have bottomed out, and considering how many businesses are suspending operations, I expect to see some pretty weak economic numbers over the next 6 weeks.
    I'm very ignorant of how these things work in any way above the X/Y graph of "value:time", and the basic concept of "buy when cheap, sell when not cheap".

Is it not relatively safe to assume that "at some point" these stocks are going to return to where they were, in as much as it isn't poor business management that is causing this but global hysterics, so once things return to "normal" presumably (big presumption? sure) these companies will go back to being as successful as they were beforehand.

To that end, buying eg. stocks in Microsoft now is still going to make you money down the line (albeit not as much maybe) even if they continue to go down over the next few weeks...

If I'm missing too much of the picture to understand why I'm wrong, feel free to save yourself time and just say "You're not right and it would take too long to explain why"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I'm very ignorant of how these things work in any way above the X/Y graph of "value:time", and the basic concept of "buy when cheap, sell when not cheap".

Is it not relatively safe to assume that "at some point" these stocks are going to return to where they were, in as much as it isn't poor business management that is causing this but global hysterics, so once things return to "normal" presumably (big presumption? sure) these companies will go back to being as successful as they were beforehand.

To that end, buying eg. stocks in Microsoft now is still going to make you money down the line (albeit not as much maybe) even if they continue to go down over the next few weeks...

If I'm missing too much of the picture to understand why I'm wrong, feel free to save yourself time and just say "You're not right and it would take too long to explain why"
    At some point, they will rebound. It may be in 3 months, or maybe 3 years.

But, the "buy low" calls aren't much more than poor advice from people who really just want to parrot Trumpster talking points. If it keeps going lower (which it looks very possible), then they aren't actually buying low. In reality, a person need not even play the game right now. As soon as the markets got shaky, and it was clear the Coronavirus was going to weaken world markets, I simply took my money out, and divested. I didn't buy news stocks, I'm just sitting on the cash. Or, to put it more succinctly, it's hedging one's losses until the market stabilizes.

The current market woes are not a result of a specific company like Microsoft having bad monthly or quarterly numbers. It's not due to bad GDP numbers, or even a weak jobs report. This market is a very emotional one right now, and I make a habit of staying out of such markets. Well, all of that was true until about a week ago, when businesses started taking an actual hit. Supply lines are taking a hit, as is the service industry as a whole. There's going to be a lot of restaurants and such who will go out of business as a result of this. And yes, that means companies like Buffalo Wild Wings, which has been getting shit on by the press and public for a few years now, will not be able to pull out of it. BWW in particular will be rough, because they have recently gone out of their way to re-brand their image. With the Coronavirus, there will be no bump like companies like Dominos Pizza saw after their phoenix-from-the-ashes moments. Now, BWW is part of a conglomerate, so the parent company will probably be fine in the long run (Roark Capital). But, when there's no sports to watch, there's less of a reason to go there.

If companies are based on service, then the bottom is not yet here. For Microsoft, investing in them is a better bet. I'm simply going to wait until the markets actually bottom out. In the meantime, my money will be sitting in its electronic piggy bank. I'm sure I'll likely be back in by the end of April.