Jair Bolsonaro, has coronavirus. If this thing kills all the fashy leaders and boomers we are in for a good 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    When the President of the US is playing down the official mortality rate (3.6%) and saying it's still sub 1% (which is still 10x worse than Flu mind), then this is what happens...
    Yeah, this is what frustrates me. There are several cases confirmed and more rising in the area I live in, and yet my office still hasn't made the call to work remotely from home. In the last few weeks several colleagues called out sick for 1-2 days, and then returned to the office--clearly still coughing, using tissues, etc. What many don't understand is that this strain can manifest in such a way, appearing to be only a minor flu among young populations. And at the end of each day, I have to return home where I live with my parents. My father is in his 70s....

I don't think it can be contained at this point. The reality could be that this strain will just exist going forward, coming and going during specific seasons, and periodically fading into obscurity for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so a lot of people around my area im talking to are mostly shrugging this off as the common cold or a slightly stronger flu or saying its not a big deal. like wtf?
    Because it technically IS just a slightly stronger flu, with the ability to be transmitted farther without people knowing because of the incubation period.

The reason it's a big deal is because it doesn't have a vaccine and the fragile parts of the community are severely at risk. The vast majority of the population will be just fine, but while THEY might be fine, the transmission method allows those people who will be just fine to transmit it to people who won't be fine, or would be much more severely affected.

Every health expert and site says the same thing.

Let's not overblow the effects of the virus. In roughly the same time frame, the flu has affected and killed FAR more people than COVID-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

That's not to say people shouldn't still be cautious, but this isn't some super bug that's going to destroy the world. Take the same precautions with this as you would the flu (obviously minus the vaccine...since there isn't one) and we'll be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Because it technically IS just a slightly stronger flu, with the ability to be transmitted farther without people knowing because of the incubation period.

The reason it's a big deal is because it doesn't have a vaccine and the fragile parts of the community are severely at risk. The vast majority of the population will be just fine, but while THEY might be fine, the transmission method allows those people who will be just fine to transmit it to people who won't be fine, or would be much more severely affected.

Let's not overblow the effects of the virus. In roughly the same time frame, the flu has affected and killed FAR more people than COVID-19.

That's not to say people shouldn't still be cautious, but this isn't some super bug that's going to destroy the world. Take the same precautions with this as you would the flu (obviously minus the vaccine...since there isn't one) and we'll be fine.
    Flu has a 0.1% mortality rate, Covid-19 has officially a 3.6% mortality rate, though cases are under-reported a 'best guess' still puts it around the 1% figure. 1% is of course 1 in 100. With that in mind, if you come out the other side of this without having known a victim, you'll be a rare case.

I don't think it's being downplayed at all, an order of magnitude is not "slightly". There's a reason the Iranians are digging plague pits.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2020-03-13 at 02:37 PM.

Flu has a 0.1% mortality rate, Covid-19 has officially a 3.6% mortality rate, though cases are under-reported a 'best guess' still puts it around the 1% figure. 1% is of course 1 in 100. With that in mind, if you come out the other side of this without having known a victim, you'll be a rare case.

I don't think it's being downplayed at all. There's a reason the Iranians are digging plague pits.
    That's my point, it's not being downplayed, it's being sensationalized.

I'm not trying to say it's a minor thing, it's a serious issue. But simple precautions can significantly decrease the risk of it spreading into the population that would be most at risk of it. I just don't feel the sheer amount of panic is warranted. I do agree that the precautions are necessary, but buying out ever ounce of hand sanitizer and emptying store shelves toilet paper and water is a little ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Jair Bolsonaro, has coronavirus. If this thing kills all the fashy leaders and boomers we are in for a good 2021.
    Has Jeff Bublitz been confirmed positive do you know?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

I don't think it's being downplayed at all, an order of magnitude is not "slightly". There's a reason the Iranians are digging plague pits.
    That’s just confirmed cases, and ballooned by the elderly/underlying conditions. There’s likely far more that aren’t confirmed either due to lack of tests or being asymptomatic. Kids can carry it, but not get sick for example, because they have fantastic immune systems, which is why they’re canceling schools.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just total, bullshit, wrong information. COVID-19 isn't a flu. Not figuratively, not literally, and abso-fucking-lutely not "technically". You're spreading outright false information here.

Again, bullshit. Those are some of the differences. But even among people who "recover", many are left with reduced lung function, and that's not even remotely limited to the older age brackets.

And where are these "every health expert and site"s that you talk about? Please link some.

The seasonal flu exists in all locations around the world already. And yes, it's a serious health issue that is taken far too lightly by the majority of the population. But COVID-19 is just getting started, and the percentage of people who are exposed to it who actually contract it is much, much higher. You likely won't be saying the same thing in a month.

No, it's not going to "destroy the world", but downplaying it will only strengthen its effect.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    That's my point, it's not being downplayed, it's being sensationalized.

I'm not trying to say it's a minor thing, it's a serious issue. But simple precautions can significantly decrease the risk of it spreading into the population that would be most at risk of it. I just don't feel the sheer amount of panic is warranted. I do agree that the precautions are necessary, but buying out ever ounce of hand sanitizer and emptying store shelves toilet paper and water is a little ridiculous.
    Sorry I meant I don't think it's being overplayed. And yes, it is a very serious problem, and it doesn't help that it's being downplayed by some corners.

Sure, the panic buying is ridiculous, I don't even know where the idea there'd be a problem with toilet paper idea came from, but that's people, they get a hook on things and it's like it subliminally becomes a self-fulfilling problem because people want to feel they can have some sense of control. And panic buying is one way they do that. I can almost understand the sanitiser issue, I work in a lab and there have been genuine difficulties and long lead times getting it commercially, but again, honestly washing with soap and water is better anyway, but if you're in a public facing job or use public transport a lot, then it's probably not the worst thing.

It is definitely in every State (USA) and Province (Canada) now regardless of whether there are positive tests for it now. I called it, I said by the end of this month it will be in full swing in North America and our tiny little province has it now so it leads me to believe it has spread unidentified for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Add the Boston Marathon and The Masters to the list of postponed sporting events. Thank god I love video games or this lack of sporting events might start getting to me.

- - - Updated - - -

It is being downplayed daily on Fox News. Falwell Jr. being the most recent to say it’s no big deal and not to worry about it. He also claimed it’s being played up on other outlets to hurt Trump. This is not new, they’ve been playing up that angle daily for the last week.
    Well..Fox news is a firm supporter of Trump. It's only natural that they continue to downplay the situation to stay in Trump's good graces. You would think such news would be illegal as it'll get people hurt, panicky and possible killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    That’s just confirmed cases, and ballooned by the elderly/underlying conditions. There’s likely far more that aren’t confirmed either due to lack of tests or being asymptomatic. Kids can carry it, but not get sick for example, because they have fantastic immune systems, which is why they’re canceling schools.
    I literally stated that, and explained accordingly. It's still TEN TIMES worse than seasonal flu. An order of magnitude is not a small deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Versus the people who think it’s not a serious issue and that the flu is deadlier... Better education is needed all around. Like, wtf is up with buying every roll of toilet paper when it’s a respiratory issue?
    Panic. The wise are already set up in their homes with powdered milk,canned food, rice,oats, and other non perishables.

Right now the people in the stores are people who didn't pay attention or " it's just a flu bros"

This just in! The flu, not COVID-19, is being blamed for global businesses losing billions of $$ as well as the stock market crashing! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It is definitely in every State (USA) and Province (Canada) now regardless of whether there are positive tests for it now. I called it, I said by the end of this month it will be in full swing in North America and our tiny little province has it now so it leads me to believe it has spread unidentified for quite some time.
    If by "quite some time" you mean two months, then sure. If you're repeating your "we've all had it since last summer", then no.

Infectious diseases spread quickly. That's just what they do.

Novel infectious diseases spread even more quickly. Novel infectious diseases with long incubation times and some asymptomatic cases spread even more quickly than that.

Novel infectious diseases with long incubation times and some asymptomatic cases whose existence and threat are massively downplayed by the country's "leader" as well as a whole slew of radically uneducated people... well, you get the point.

- - - Updated - - -

I literally stated that, and explained accordingly. It's still TEN TIMES worse than seasonal flu. An order of magnitude is not a small deal.
    It's still actually more like 50-100x worse even at 1%, as only ~10% of the population gets the flu each season.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I think the issue is that alot of countries are overdoing the "lets lock everything up" thing. Lets face it, if we gonna catch CV, most cases will catch it during panic shopping in overcrowded grocery store, and not say city hall. I get it that, some degree of quarantine is good and definately helped, but from what i see on streets, going to far may cause more problem than its worth it.

Please listen to the WHO but listen carefully.

It's not just that the mortality ( in a perfect not collapsed health system...in a collapsed? Italy is around 6%) is 10X times the common flu ( taking the optimistic 1%)…it is extremely more contagious .

It threatens to infect 70% population and no regular flu can do that not even if we tried intentionally.

So that 1% needs to be applied to WAY HIGHER base that will catch covid-19 and therefore makes it several orders of higher danger and therefore can kill way more than 10X the regular flu.

This is not a flu. It was never a flu. We can't compare with the flu.

Please I beg all people that don't make our own inferences…listen to the WHO.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    This is just total, bullshit, wrong information. COVID-19 isn't a flu. Not figuratively, not literally, and abso-fucking-lutely not "technically". You're spreading outright false information here.
    It causes the same symptoms as the normal flu.... how is this spreading misinformation?

The novel thing about this virus are it's method of transmission and the fact that we don't have a vaccine for it yet.

And where are these "every health expert and site"s that you talk about? Please link some.
    Not going to link shit that's all over the news and internet. Multiple sources have said the vast majority of the population is low risk and will recover from it that same way they would from the regular flu.

The seasonal flu exists in all locations around the world already. And yes, it's a serious health issue that is taken far too lightly by the majority of the population. But COVID-19 is just getting started, and the percentage of people who are exposed to it who actually contract it is much, much higher. You likely won't be saying the same thing in a month.
    We'll see what happens in a month, then. Not trying to be snide, just going based off the data available now. I'll revise my opinion should new/ different information come to light.

No, it's not going to "destroy the world", but downplaying it will only strengthen its effect.
    And sensationalizing it will only make the parallel effects to the rest of world, including the economy, a lot worse than it needs to be.

I am not trying "downplay" it, if that's what it sounds like, that's not my intention. Just trying to bring the current panic dial from the current 11 down to a 7 or 8.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It's still actually more like 50-100x worse even at 1%, as only ~10% of the population gets the flu each season.
    Well shit. And they expect 60-70% of us to get this... Yikes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Well shit. And they expect 60-70% of us to get this... Yikes.
    But isn't it a very long-period expectation?