10+ Year Old Account

Michael Chu leaves Overwatch (and Blizzard)

Haven't seen anyone else post this yet:
    https://twitter.com/westofhouse/stat...42966846160897

His blog:
    https://www.michael-chu.com/blog/twenty-years

It's a bummer; I liked him.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if he's going to work on Riot's Overwatch-type game. Quite a few Blizz employees quit and went to work there (Ghostcrawler, one of their lead art guys, etc).
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I wonder what the fuck he ever did for so many years

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    I wonder what the fuck he ever did for so many years
    Yeah. Not to be disrespectful, but I'm honestly curious how being an Overwatch writer is a full time job. The team isn't exactly pumping out media.

3+ Year Old Account
    I guess they found out they had a "Overwatch writer" on the payroll and realized that Overwatch has no story.

Another member of the "o-onwards to new adventures" crowd on twitter. Such a shame we wont get more stellar storylines like... and...

uh....

Gimme a minute, shit.

I love all the responses about Overwatch not having a story. They wrote nice stories with full cinematics to them. The team made comics based off of it. They have backstories for characters. They then write to make it coherent and consistent.
    Now, I’m not saying it’s some amazing, deep writing in the game, but there is story there. The thing is, writing novels can take writers approximately 6 months to a year for one cohesive story, whereas Overwatch has multiple small ones that they then have to make sure work together and don’t contradict each other, all the while making cinematics. There’s also potential he writes multiple versions of each backstory that we never see, and the ones we do being revised multiple times during the animation process.
    Add on that the stories we have gotten have all been really well done and tend to invoke emotional responses in the people watching them. Hell, the Reinhardt one actually had some YouTube personalities choke up and talk about how amazing it was, something you don’t get all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on who replaces him this could be quite the monkeys paw. I wasn't impressed with his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    I love all the responses about Overwatch not having a story. They wrote nice stories with full cinematics to them. The team made comics based off of it. They have backstories for characters. They then write to make it coherent and consistent.
    Now, I’m not saying it’s some amazing, deep writing in the game, but there is story there. The thing is, writing novels can take writers approximately 6 months to a year for one cohesive story, whereas Overwatch has multiple small ones that they then have to make sure work together and don’t contradict each other, all the while making cinematics. There’s also potential he writes multiple versions of each backstory that we never see, and the ones we do being revised multiple times during the animation process.
    Add on that the stories we have gotten have all been really well done and tend to invoke emotional responses in the people watching them. Hell, the Reinhardt one actually had some YouTube personalities choke up and talk about how amazing it was, something you don’t get all the time.
    Yes we know Blizzard writers like to write oscar bait equivalents, but the substance is still zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Hell, the Reinhardt one actually had some YouTube personalities choke up and talk about how amazing it was
    Oh wow, that's such high praise...

... wait, what?

since he's not writing anymore, i wonder if pharmercy will become canon.

15+ Year Old Account
    With OW2 and apparently an animated series now in development, both heavily narrative driven, I can only surmise that Chu either wasn't comfortable with the added responsibility (having originally signed on to a very different project with minimal focus on story), or they need someone with more experience in story and franchise development.

Otherwise it doesn't really make sense for the head writer to exit just as story is becoming super important. You'd think that would ne a dream come true... Unless he got a better job offer, but it's not like his work on Overwatch has that been impressive, and it sure as hell hasn't been prolific.

Overwatch has a story?
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-03-14 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Overwatch has a story?
    Just some oscar-baiting cinematics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good riddance to him. 4 years with almost nothing to show for it.