Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The question is, can a game do a better job than we can do at the table for high level play?
    Depends on the budget and experience of your GM. Having both the aesthetics to give encounters that epic feel, as well as the expertise to manage certain encounters.

It's like trying to do a P&P version of WoW raid bosses, you could but it's likely in most cases the game would do it better.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The question is, can a game do a better job than we can do at the table for high level play?
    Depends how well their game master system is, i don't believe it is the highest priority right now. That is if you speak about playing it with friends.

Beyond that it is an interesting addition that they have visible dice rolls for important choices.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/i-love-th...big-decisions/

7+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-03-14 at 09:51 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

It is DOS3.
    Which is why they will make $ millions off it.

There are some differences however, but overall, you are correct. It looks a lot like how DOS2 works. Only better with some changes. How it will actually end up is yet to be seen in terms of how much better it will be. But I am certainly excited about it.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Meh, Divinity: Original Sin 3 with a different skin. Not for Baldur's Gate fans.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Meh, Divinity: Original Sin 3 with a different skin. Not for Baldur's Gate fans.
    And yet, plenty of fans here expressing excitement.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Not for you, because you demand no iterative improvements to a 20-year-old game series for some reason, maybe.

I'm a big fan of the series. And I'm super excited. So stop pretending you speak for anyone but your own gatekeeping self.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    And yet, plenty of fans here expressing excitement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not for you, because you demand no iterative improvements to a 20-year-old game series for some reason, maybe.

I'm a big fan of the series. And I'm super excited. So stop pretending you speak for anyone but your own gatekeeping self.
    User you are responding to is a know troll, check post history to verify and put on ignore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Have they said anything about how many companions will be available?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    Have they said anything about how many companions will be available?
    Five in early access, more on the way plus mercenaries.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    it rly depends on what encounters you are throwing at your players tough, i love how 5e made things like "healer and tank not be necessary", but if you rly want, the encounter could be hard enough to need healers, had one encounter, as a player that if it was not by the healer, with big heal spells, he would end up with a tpk
    Not to be that guy, but the least efficient kind of healing is - well - healing. I generally enjoy playing spellcasters (primarily Wizard), and I've found that the best way to deal with almost any encounter is to mitigate when possible, which spellcasters excel at. Some examples of this:
    - If against a powerful melee user opponent (like an Oathbreaker Paladin, or a giant of some kind), use Levitate so they're effectively removed from combat
    - If against a horde of enemies, use Wall of Force to section them off to deal with later
    - If against a powerful flying enemy (such as a Dragon that is attacking from the sky), use Earthbind to stop its movement and force it to land
    - Always have Counterspell ready -- this may seem obvious, but everyone in your party will be ecstatic when you're able to stop the enemy spellcaster from using their Fireballs and Chain Lightning
    - If dealing with lots of ranged units, interpose a Fog Cloud between you and them, or even put it on top of them if you're able; attackers can't attack what they cannot see

That's just a few examples, but spellcasters, specifically, have lots of ways to make encounters easily doable without having a healer. The main issues is that most spellcasters want to be evokers and simply throw some Fireballs around and call it a day, which is obviously fine but does lead to most players not seeing the potential spellcasters have to mitigate a large part of a fights difficulty by themselves.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

honestly given how many parroted responses we keep getting which say pretty much the same thing which we've already countered and put down, maybe we should prepare a stock response to copy paste every time some hollow headed grand stander repeats it yet again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Why are they protective? Their games mostly suck.
    its because the few times they did trust a company, the company messed it up. They've since become much more cynical and have hired a number of talent names from the gaming industry since then.

Just a shame they can't include both rtwp and turn based modes like the new pathfinder game will. That way everyone would be happy and could play whatever they prefered and i much prefer rtwp over turnbased.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    "It's just D:OS3"

Yes, in the same way Dragon Age was just a shiny graphics Baldur's Gate/Icewynd Dale/Neverwinter etc.

Let's not forget the fact they have different styles and rules of combat, different classes, different levelling systems, stats, character progression, itemisation and lore.

It's totally just Original Sin 3 >.>

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Just a shame they can't include both rtwp and turn based modes like the new pathfinder game will. That way everyone would be happy and could play whatever they prefered and i much prefer rtwp over turnbased.
    It's just easier/better to focus on a single mode. That way you don't have to make compromises for each of the modes.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-03-16 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    It's just easier/better to focus on a single mode. That way you don't have to make compromises.
    exactly. I think it was that other fail game that started RTWP, Pillars of eternity, that ended up adding a turn-based mode to their 2nd game. However, by that time, I had already moved on because my experience was so bad from the first one. I had hopes and dreams of just playing it real-time, but there's so much going on and the AI is so bad that you basically had to play it RTWP. If they were going real time, let me set up my party's AI like dragon age does so at least I don't have to micro the ENTIRE party...

Otherwise, I'll gladly take D:OS3 - Baldur's Gate edition.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    exactly. I think it was that other fail game that started RTWP, Pillars of eternity, that ended up adding a turn-based mode to their 2nd game. However, by that time, I had already moved on because my experience was so bad from the first one. I had hopes and dreams of just playing it real-time, but there's so much going on and the AI is so bad that you basically had to play it RTWP. If they were going real time, let me set up my party's AI like dragon age does so at least I don't have to micro the ENTIRE party...

Otherwise, I'll gladly take D:OS3 - Baldur's Gate edition.
    Pillars serie is geat, never tried turnbased in second one though rtwp all the way it's just to slow with turn based and ruins immersion imo.

Anyways I'm glad pathfinders new game is also on the way so we all can play what we enjoy. They just got 2 million raised in kickstarter too double the amount of the first one so think it's going to be amazing.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-03-16 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    "It's just D:OS3"

Yes, in the same way Dragon Age was just a shiny graphics Baldur's Gate/Icewynd Dale/Neverwinter etc.

Let's not forget the fact they have different styles and rules of combat, different classes, different levelling systems, stats, character progression, itemisation and lore.

It's totally just Original Sin 3 >.>
    Good. Look at DOS2 metacritic:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/d...riginal-sin-ii

What other devs would those who dislike the very high quality of Larian's past work, rather have creating this. Are they confident that other studio can create a AAA rpg at this level? Not to mention that they seem to have gotten better with each outing.

Honestly, this reminds me of Wind Waker. People complained about the graphics and then the game came out and it was legend. I bet this game is excellent and people will love it.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-03-16 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Good. Look at DOS2 metacritic:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/d...riginal-sin-ii

What other devs would those who dislike the very high quality of Larian's past work, rather have creating this. Are they confident that other studio can create a AAA rpg at this level?
    Pillars 1 is pretty close to those scores and Obsidian can make amazing games too. I would have preferred it but don't mind as there is pathfinder 2 for pc on the way for more crpg goodies so everyone can be happy.

Will still try BG3 though I can see it being a fun coop game on the ps4 pro or pc well see I enjoy slower turnbased games more on console.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-03-16 at 03:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I find the Pillars games slightly overhyped. They were good but not deserving of some of the praise they got. The story just became sprawling and unwieldy at times, like they tried too much.

Last time I had that issue was back in Kingdoms of Amalur.