Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/str...-i-lagom-takt/

seems the Public Health Agency of Sweden wants as many to get infected as possible but slowly... to get herd immunity... lol...
    Maybe there's something wrong with the Translation...but the article seems to say the opposite of that

This is what I get from Google Translate:

The Public Health Agency has no strategy on flock immunity - now people are working to curb the infection.

This is stated by Karin Tegmark Wisell, Head of the Public Health Authority, in Sweden's radio.

State epidemiologist Anders Tegnell says that the reasoning about herd immunity is "partially" correct, but that it is not the government's strategy.

- Our main purpose now is to get the spread of infection as slow as possible.

In our direct reporting directly below you can follow the press conference with the government.
    and
    - No, the goal now is to slow down the infection at all costs. Then she is quite right in that we get a herd immunity among those in the community who can tolerate this disease in a good way and it will also protect the elderly. But that is not our intention right now. Now it is to make sure not to spread the infection.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-03-15 at 09:15 PM.

well i just got back from grocery shopping at winco and the santizers and toilet paper is completely wiped out where it was fine just a week ago. a lot of the bleach is gone as well as a lot of bread now too. our stores that are usually open 24hrs are shutting down after midnight JUST so they can have a chance to restock for the next day and they're finally putting a limit on how much you can buy at one time

these dipshits are going to have a years worth of toilet paper but starve because they spent all their money on tp instead of food....idiots...
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Dutch government finally decided it's time to get semi-serious. All bars, restaurants, schools and day-cares are now closed until the beginning of April. The largest hit will, of course, be the closure of all of the "coffeeshops". The line leading halfway around the block from the one next door tells me a bunch of people are worried about where their next high will be coming from.

Sex workers are also banned from working during this period, so combine that with the coffeshops closing and there goes the tourism for the month.

I can't make this shit up.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-03-15 at 09:23 PM.

this is in reference to what annika linde said...
    Which is followed directly with:

- No, the goal now is to slow down the infection at all costs. Then she is quite right in that we get a herd immunity among those in the community who can tolerate this disease in a good way and it will also protect the elderly. But that is not our intention right now. Now it is to make sure not to spread the infection.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Austria banning gatherings of more than five people from Monday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51897069
    LOL, I wonder how theyre gonna enforce that. Many families consist of more than 5 people hahaha...
    And when you inevitably go to the supermarket to get your much needed toilet paper, there will definitely be far more than 5 people at the checkout, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    This may be the 8th time I've had to say this...but I am not saying China is to blame for the actions of other governments.
    You are hardly the only person responding to this line of debate, and not the one who started it. So feel free to not make a 9th.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

he said she is correct...

he doesn't even deny that they want everyone to get infected
    Yes, he does:

And the strategy of most countries is to slow down the infection as much as possible...so hospitals don't get overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I suppose this might've been posted here already, but many EU countries are warning people to stay away from the USA or to come home if they're there:

Big oof...
    Yes, that was a real concern, but luckily Trump stepped in and stopped that!

The concern wasn't just the general spread in the US, but also that tourists are likely to meet people in the service sector with high risk of working while sick.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    You are hardly the only person responding to this line of debate, and not the one who started it. So feel free to not make a 9th.
    And yet, you keep replying to me personally and throwing the same line of "Other countries fucked up"...which I am not denying.

Let me explain my thoughts on this matter in the most simplistic way I can.

The fact that other countries fucked up does not absolve China of it's own fuck ups.

conversely

The fact that China fucked up does not absolve other countries of their own fuck ups.

my hospital just got our first suspected case. My boss is telling us to work remotely as much as possible right now
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

no he doesn't...

who you quoted in your quote is...

the person saying annika linde is correct is and doesn't deny what she said and instead says she's correct is...

2 different people...
    You're right...that was a different person. I was getting Tegmark confused with Tegnell

But he did say this:

No, not basically, but the basis of our strategy is to try to get the infection going as slowly as possible. We do not really know what a herd immunity would look like for this type of disease, so it is very strange to say that this is the strategy when we do not know what the target is. But we know what the goal is to reduce the spread of infection and we know how to achieve it. It's all about staying home when they're sick.
    And the person I did quote before is the Head of the Public Health Authority
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-03-15 at 09:43 PM.

This is getting so, so nuts. lol
    Looks like a lot of people are planning on spending the next couple of weeks in "self-quarantine". Unfortunately my job is still requiring me to come in.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comment...ef_source=link

The Chinese government is pushing for "go back to work", and claims that foreign countries are worse.

The last time a big plague is 100 years ago.
    No one knows how bad a plague is.
    They thought with today's technology the plague is contained.
    Just wait ...

he still said she's right...
    He said "partially correct"... and then goes on to say that Herd Immunity is not the strategy.

no she isn't... she's a department manager of the microbiology department...
    Not according to the article:

But Karin Tegmark Wisell, Head of Department at the Public Health Authority, went out in Sweden's radio "Good Morning, the world" and argued that the authority uses the flock immunity strategy.

Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-03-15 at 09:49 PM.

Yikes India and Germany have suspended exports of some goods to "keep them where they are needed".

This includes medicine/pharma/chemicals needed to fight the virus.

Good thing we don't import most of our....oh...wait....fuck.

Well at least our corporations are not worried:

Over the past several days and weeks, health care and consumer industry groups and even federal agencies have sounded the alarm that the US may face major problems in keeping basic medical, food and retail supplies available during the coronavirus pandemic.

On Sunday, the group representing food and retail companies like Clorox, Procter & Gamble and PepsiCo told the State Department and the US Trade Representative they fear other countries cutting off exports to the US, which could exacerbate the public health emergency.

The group is particularly concerned about countries restricting chemicals, ingredients and products they manufacture from getting to the US.

For instance, India, a major drug ingredient supplier, has already limited exports of medications like acetaminophen, a common painkiller used for flu-like symptoms, and Germany has banned the export of protective equipment like masks, gloves and suits used by health care professionals.

President Trump also planned to speak to grocery, food and beverage corporate leaders on Sunday about supply chain concerns,
    including the Consumer Brand Association's head and major grocery chain CEOs.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Not sure if shared;
    A doctor in Italy shared numerous details about how hospitals in the country are dealing with COVID-19, a disease caused by the new coronavirus.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/it...orona-not-flu/

the department she's responsible for is microbiology... she's a department manager... her position is literally avdelningschef in swedish... avdelning is department... chef is manager...
    Okay, the article isn't clear on that point... but she's still in more of a position to know the current Government strategy than Annika Lende...who is the former state epidemiologist from 7 years ago... and the current state epidemiologist says that isn't the strategy either.

Quote Originally Posted by telygroar View Post
    Dont know if it was posted here but :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus...m_source=share

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/artic...e.onsitesearch

(translation

thx USA for being assholes.
    US government tries to swipe exclusive rights for vaccine in development from German biotech company, offering large amounts of money to have it "only for the US"

And its true, confirmed by the german health minister.

3h ago this went the right way (against the US gov and pro Worldhealth)
    https://twitter.com/berlindirekt/sta...45508255809536

China sends doctors and ventilators to italy (not "mask and sanitizers" as some posted in this thread) while the US does everything it can to make more pharmacy PROFIT out of this.

Hollywood movies will have a difficult time in the future with good vs evil nations without drifting into 100% propaganda.
    Last edited by Ange; 2020-03-15 at 09:57 PM.
    -

our current one said annika is correct...
    "partially correct"

- Partly that's right, the problem is that we don't really know what herd immunity looks like for this disease yet, because it's a bit unclear. We have no good data on it yet because you have not done the kind of studies you need to do. So our main purpose now is to get the spread of infection as slow as possible, and of course in the long term get some kind of immunity in society that prevents it from spreading so quickly in the future.
    As a direct answer to this question:
    But is it your strategy that people should be infected and build an immunity to protect the weak?
    he responds:

- No, not basically, but the basis of our strategy is to try to get the infection going as slowly as possible. We do not really know what a herd immunity would look like for this type of disease, so it is very strange to say that this is the strategy when we do not know what the target is. But we know what the goal is to reduce the spread of infection and we know how to achieve it. It's all about staying home when they're sick. It's the ground bolt.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-03-15 at 10:01 PM.

because they don't like outright saying everything that happens due to their policies is intended... just look at reinfeldt & co... at least if they don't outright say it they can plausibly deny it claiming that wasn't the intent lol...
    You're just going on a conspiracy rant now.

His direct response to being asked if the strategy was to infect the entire population was "no."

This talk of it being the strategy was based on the opinion of a single person that is no longer affiliated with the Department of Health...and you're taking that as gospel over two people directly involved in the crisis saying "No, that's not it at all"