Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How to treat suicide?

During the MySpace emo days, my friends and I had good laughs about “idiots” who killed themselves. It’s a dick move to put your family through that. But some people are sympathetic when it comes to suicide. They want us to remember the victims like we remember the other dead people.

Should we be more sympathetic about suicide? Or is it selfish and deserving of no ounce of attention?
    [Infraction]

Mod Edit: This thread is closed.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-03-18 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Minor Trolling

It's sad and something you should be sympathetic with the family about, but that doesn't prevent it from being selfish. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    During the MySpace emo days, my friends and I had good laughs about “idiots” who killed themselves. It’s a dick move to put your family through that. But some people are sympathetic when it comes to suicide. They want us to remember the victims like we remember the other dead people.

Should we be more sympathetic about suicide? Or is it selfish and deserving of no ounce of attention?
    We have evolved to prefer survival to death. If you take the time to focus on the feeling you receive when you take a breath, you'll notice that even that gives you a small hit of pleasure. Most things which keep us alive give us some amount of pleasure, and yet sometimes people choose not to. We have every reason to live, so you need to ask yourself, how much pain does someone have to feel to want to throw all that away?

Most of the folks I've dealt with who feel this way are actually fixated on how much pain they are causing others. They recognize that their death may cause some amount of pain, but believe that their life is causing more pain. They aren't selfish, they're just ignorant to how much they're loved, and how much pain their loss will cause.

Judging them is a waste of effort, unless you think it can keep someone else alive.

The "selfish" argument irritates me, because in my personal experience it's most often made by the most selfish people. The ones who will feel sooooo bad when their loved one dies, but weren't willing to step up when the person was alive. The ones who think that a suicide attempt is just a cry for help, the ones who have their own problems so they neglect the people they ostensibly care about to focus on their own needs.

The people I've known who took their life weren't selfish, they were just hurting and misguided.

7+ Year Old Account
    Should we be more sympathetic about suicide?
    Sure why not if it's already after the fact. Suicide just means the person died of mental illness as opposed to physical illness. I don't see why we wouldn't have the same sympathy for both.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-03-16 at 07:51 AM.

Start treating depression like the serious illness that it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I support right to die: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1929387/ Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die (2011)
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Start treating depression like the serious illness that it is.
    It's not a serious disease to many people. They think that because certain behaviors associate with not being depressed, that they are making good choices while the depressed people are making bad choices. They ignore the fact that not doing these things are symptoms, not the cause of the disease. Maybe they've lost someone and they want to absolve themselves of guilt. Maybe they just haven't experienced enough pain in life to understand that enough pain can override your will to live. They grasp that people say, "there are fates worse than death," but they don't extrapolate any further than that. They fail to grasp that different humans have different responses to the same events, and so fail to see that where one person feels nothing, another person is crushed.

It probably makes sense, from an evolutionary perspective, to hate people who choose to sacrifice their lives rather than fight on. It's still sad, still heartbreaking when someone you love takes their own life. Proclaiming their selfishness might act as a bandaid to the wound of their death, but the fact is if you want to bury loss, you have to face whatever ways you failed the person in question, and live with your choices.

Depression installs due to BOREDOM. Having everything handed to you, nothing to strive for, no conflict in your life, no reason to get out of bed.

Usually people turn to drugs at this point. Hence why a lot of rich people and celebs are crackheads and alcoholics.

Being rich is not a cause, of course, even poor people can find no reason to be invested in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Depression installs due to BOREDOM. Having everything handed to you, nothing to strive for, no conflict in your life, no reason to get out of bed.

Usually people turn to drugs at this point. Hence why a lot of rich people and celebs are crackheads and alcoholics.

Being rich is not a cause, of course, even poor people can find no reason to be invested in life.
    Maybe stop talking about things you don't understand.

I mean so many people want to fight for abortion because "it's the woman's body and it's her decision," but are not ok with someone killing themselves. So it's interesting to see the "my body my rules,' thing only applies in certain situations.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I mean so many people want to fight for abortion because "it's the woman's body and it's her decision," but are not ok with someone killing themselves. So it's interesting to see the "my body my rules,' thing only applies in certain situations.
    Women who want abortions, and their supporters, are not seeing the infant as a person. They don't want the baby anyway, so they have no problem with killing it at any time. They have no problem with killing the baby even after 9 months. Democrats are quite literally pushing for no term limits to abortions.

Next step is post birth abortions, where the baby gets the lethal injection because the mother doesn't want it.

Make no mistake, as long as the mother is interested in not having the baby, she has no qualms about killing the baby at any moment. So the law has to step in in order to force the mother to obey the rules of Humanity.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-03-16 at 09:35 AM.

Women who want abortions, and their supporters, are not seeing the infant as a person. They don't want the baby anyway, so they have no problem with killing it at any time. They have no problem with killing the baby even after 9 months. Democrats are quite literally pushing for no term limits to abortions.

Next step is post birth abortions, where the baby gets the lethal injection because the mother doesn't want it.

Make no mistake, as long as the mother is interested in not having the baby, she has no qualms about killing the baby at any moment. So the law has to step in in order to force the mother to obey the rules of Humanity.
    Wow, I've seen some truly moronic rants against abortion, but this one takes the cake. And hot on the heels of an equality idiotic post about suicide and depression. You're really on a roll here!

my point is that it's hypocritical for us to support bodily autonomy in one instance and not the other. Either we should have the right to do what we want with our bodies or we shouldn't. Whether we're killing ourselves or not.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account
    No. Sympathy for something makes it more acceptable, so mock & denigrate both the act & the selfish cowards who resort to it.
    Still not tired of winning.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Post birth abortion is known as the death penalty..

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    my point is that it's hypocritical for us to support bodily autonomy in one instance and not the other. Either we should have the right to do what we want with our bodies or we shouldn't. Whether we're killing ourselves or not.
    There is zero purpose in outlawing suicide and would in fact be counterproductive if you want them to second guess the decision.

Ultimately it is your life to live or not. No level of law enforcement can stop you from killing yourself.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account

Can't treat someone when they're dead

It might be time to reconsider where you get your information.

Wow...you badly need an education.

Been depressed my whole life I don't think it has anything to do with being affluent.

I have also worked hard and do an amazing job with anything I do and have a lot to show for it.

Try again.