Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Pillars 1 is pretty close to those scores and Obsidian can make amazing games too. I would have preferred it but don't mind as there is pathfinder 2 for pc on the way for more crpg goodies so everyone can be happy.

Will still try BG3 though I can see it being a fun coop game on the ps4 pro or pc well see I enjoy turnbased games more on console.
    I'll be playing on PS4 pro as well.

I like Obsidian. When I'm playing one of their games, I'm not expecting a GoaT anymore. From Larian, I am. That is all I meant.

However, I do understand that some people don't like turn based. I would argue that there are thousands of non-turn based games out there, and my group really has like Larian and Fire Emblem, so let's keep them turn based, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Last time I had that issue was back in Kingdoms of Amalur.
    I only really got that when they intro'd the DLCs. Kingdoms is still probably my favorite combat and crafting system of any game, and they uniquely spun a lot of the aspects of traditional RPGs in a way I liked a lot. Was good fun.

As for pillars, that game can't hold a candle to DOS1&2. From the non-combat interactions, to the combat, to the skill diversity, flexibility, etc. The games lack just so much comparatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Not to be that guy, but the least efficient kind of healing is - well - healing. I generally enjoy playing spellcasters (primarily Wizard), and I've found that the best way to deal with almost any encounter is to mitigate when possible, which spellcasters excel at. Some examples of this:
    - If against a powerful melee user opponent (like an Oathbreaker Paladin, or a giant of some kind), use Levitate so they're effectively removed from combat
    - If against a horde of enemies, use Wall of Force to section them off to deal with later
    - If against a powerful flying enemy (such as a Dragon that is attacking from the sky), use Earthbind to stop its movement and force it to land
    - Always have Counterspell ready -- this may seem obvious, but everyone in your party will be ecstatic when you're able to stop the enemy spellcaster from using their Fireballs and Chain Lightning
    - If dealing with lots of ranged units, interpose a Fog Cloud between you and them, or even put it on top of them if you're able; attackers can't attack what they cannot see

That's just a few examples, but spellcasters, specifically, have lots of ways to make encounters easily doable without having a healer. The main issues is that most spellcasters want to be evokers and simply throw some Fireballs around and call it a day, which is obviously fine but does lead to most players not seeing the potential spellcasters have to mitigate a large part of a fights difficulty by themselves.
    Some of the easiest dungeon crawls in tabletop I've ever had is when I played a sorcerer that had no damaging spells. Everything was battlefield control: Walls, fog/darkness, holds, etc.

The other players were scoffing at me because I didn't have fireball and lightning bolt. But after a few fights they realized the benefits.

Honestly I find the Pillars games slightly overhyped. They were good but not deserving of some of the praise they got. The story just became sprawling and unwieldy at times, like they tried too much.

Each game has its own fans. DOS games are viewed as in credibly overhyped by some too. The reality is some people really like certain types of games and some dont.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2020-03-16 at 04:13 PM.

Honestly I find the Pillars games slightly overhyped. They were good but not deserving of some of the praise they got. The story just became sprawling and unwieldy at times, like they tried too much.

I personally disliked the Pillars games. Cumbersome rules. Overturned encounters that required too much micromanagement and perfect character builds. No experience for combat was a good idea.....if there weren't a bazillion combat encounters.

Tyranny was a far more enjoyable gameplay experience by far.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I personally disliked the Pillars games. Cumbersome rules. Overturned encounters that required too much micromanagement and perfect character builds. No experience for combat was a good idea.....if there weren't a bazillion combat encounters.

Tyranny was a far more enjoyable gameplay experience by far.
    Tyranny is alright i enjoyed being evil, my personal favorite is the Pathfinder: Kingmaker game atm so much content you can easily hit 100-200 hours on a single playthrough i spent countless hours just in the character creation screen lol. very hyped about the second game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I only really got that when they intro'd the DLCs. Kingdoms is still probably my favorite combat and crafting system of any game, and they uniquely spun a lot of the aspects of traditional RPGs in a way I liked a lot. Was good fun.

As for pillars, that game can't hold a candle to DOS1&2. From the non-combat interactions, to the combat, to the skill diversity, flexibility, etc. The games lack just so much comparatively.
    Enjoyed the pillars games much more but to each their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I'll be playing on PS4 pro as well.

I like Obsidian. When I'm playing one of their games, I'm not expecting a GoaT anymore. From Larian, I am. That is all I meant.

However, I do understand that some people don't like turn based. I would argue that there are thousands of non-turn based games out there, and my group really has like Larian and Fire Emblem, so let's keep them turn based, lol.
    Yeah console is much nicer imo for those kind of games.
    Do you hear the voices too?

7+ Year Old Account

I did enjoy first Pillars and it's story, the world was pretty well crafted and game had me on the edge many times. But Deadfire was unfortunately worse. Weak story, OP multiclassing, annoying ship combat and game being too easy in general.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    - - - Updated - - -
    Enjoyed the pillars games much more but to each their own.
    You and I clearly like vastly different things lol.

I gave pillars a solid 20 hours and I gave pathfinder kingmaker the same. Kingmaker lost my interest because I didn't want to be bothered with the constant heckling of managing a kingdom. In addition, the story and the hand-holding therein of the game was basically non-existent. I need something more than just "go to this random fuck-off location that has all of like 3 encounters and get another tiny little tidbit of non-main-story-arc."

Game was hard to navigate and didn't guide me enough the way I wanted it to. I'm not interested in "ark: survival evolved" style of open world play. It's boring to have to make my own fun. Freedom? Yes. Hell yes. But also with something to give me purpose please. In addition, the combat was boring. I wanted my main character to be the badass of the group, but, again, the AI hampered that. At least with turn-based stuff and unlimited party customization I can set up DOS to basically all support my main character being the hero, and turn-based means I don't need to rely on bad AI to do that successfully.

The ideal is dragon age, though, where I can customize the AI to have them do exactly what I want, when I want, under specific situations, and then just play real time without needing to micro anything actively during combat besides my own character.

The First Pillars has better story and theme. The 2nd is more fun to play because of its class system and itemisation with a huge downside of the whole naval system.

This may be a niche taste but I really enjoy setting up AIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    The First Pillars has better story and theme. The 2nd is more fun to play because of its class system and itemisation with a huge downside of the whole naval system.

This may be a niche taste but I really enjoy setting up AIs.
    Can you actually do that in those games, though? I definitely don't recall being able to do that in Pillars 1. I skipped pillars 2 because I was so disinterested in being a pirate and the whole ship thing, in addition to my lackluster feelings about the first one.

Can you actually do that in those games, though? I definitely don't recall being able to do that in Pillars 1. I skipped pillars 2 because I was so disinterested in being a pirate and the whole ship thing, in addition to my lackluster feelings about the first one.
    You can in pillars 2. Pretty sure they will add it in Wrath of the Righteous too along with both rtwp and a TB system but yeah was missing from pillars 1 and Kingmaker sadly. I also enjoy setting up the ai so you dont have to babysit them all the time but i also enjoy pausing and issuing commands but sometimes it's nice to have the ai work on their own.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-03-16 at 05:36 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Yeah, its pretty cool to set up. I almost dont have to micromanage my non-caster chars. Quite satisfying.

I like being able to examine a situation with no time limit.

Chess can be played with a timer, or without one.

So I don't want a timer on my turn. I played DOS2. The worst thing they could add would be a timer that says I have 15 seconds to perform my action or the next player gets to go. Why would you want that timer? If this was a multiplayer game, I can see it. Just like chess, the timer could be there to prevent one player from overly delaying the game. However, why would I want that when I'm playing by myself, assuming the content is sufficiently challenging without said timer?

If I am playing a strategy game, I would rather not have an arbitrary timer counting down. I would rather come to my decisions based on measured thought that came in its own time. Not a rushed decision.

Others have a different preference. They want the timer. In some games, like Nioh 2, I want the timer(represented by the travel speed of impending enemy actions after aggro). In other games, like Divinity: Original Sin 2, I don't.

They should add an optional timer that makes you skip your turn(and allows all queued enemy turns to complete between you and your next ally) after 10 seconds. Would the people who don't like turn based turn it on? It would likely be more difficult without time to think about your next move. Perhaps that thrill is what many are seeking.

For me, DOS2 was more akin to reading a great book than watching a movie. I could set down and cuddle up with it. I could take hours to complete 1 battle. The intrusion of an arbitrary time limit would do nothing but add stress and reduce enjoyment for me personally, and I would look for an action game if I wanted action gameplay.

However, we aren't talking about DOS2, we are talking about BG3. I understand there is a history and expectation for BG3, that I may not fully appreciate. I do value the opinions. However, remember just like there are BG fans there are also Larian fans, and some of us really like what they are already doing, lol. Hopefully both fanbases can come together and celebrate this game if it is as great as we all hope it will be.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-03-16 at 07:03 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Some of the easiest dungeon crawls in tabletop I've ever had is when I played a sorcerer that had no damaging spells. Everything was battlefield control: Walls, fog/darkness, holds, etc.

The other players were scoffing at me because I didn't have fireball and lightning bolt. But after a few fights they realized the benefits.
    Yeah, it's really common for players to not get it. The thing is that they're sort of right -- because both Fireball and Lightning Bolt are incredible spells; however, straight-up damage is never going to beat simply removing creatures from the fight, or even simply making other creatures less effective. That said, they can be used for some cool effects if a DM cares to deal with them, such as using Fireball to start a fire and cover an escape, or using a Freezing Sphere to freeze a section of a river and get a wagon across before it unfreezes. Lots of versatility, just more niche secondary uses for damaging spells.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    "Dont worry its D&D not a divinity clone"

Sure. But just because of a similar poster/announcement card theme hardly means it's the same. Movie posters do it ALL the time.

That's just the marketing department circle-jerk of recycled ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    Sure. But just because of a similar poster/announcement card theme hardly means it's the same. Movie posters do it ALL the time.

That's just the marketing department circle-jerk of recycled ideas.
    You can forgive some artwork and color scheme cross over sure.

Crashing a ship on a coast starting point. Having collars, sorry I mean tadpoles as a limiting factor that also has a narrative function. And the interface/UI and general all around gameplay being near identical then eyes brows are more than raised.
    Last edited by Volatilis; 2020-03-16 at 11:13 PM.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account

Crashing a ship on a coast starting point. Having collars, sorry I mean tadpoles as a limiting factor that also has a narrative function. And the interface/UI and general all around gameplay being near identical then eyes brows are more than raised.
    Crashing a ship onto a coast is the fantasy CRPG version of "you all meet in a tavern". It's an easy way to start a hero with no gear, and often with a head injury or something that blocks memory.

The other option is "you wake up in a prison cell", for the same reasons. The third in the triumvirate is "you're an orphan and your adoptive master has just been killed/kidnapped/vanished/died/whatever."

I'll note that BG1 was the latter, and BGII was the former. So "you wake up on shore after crashing a ship" is just checking a tropey box that the earlier games already checked most of.

The UI they've already said is a placeholder that they have done zero work on yet. It probably looks a lot like Divinity's because, well, they've got that lying around already-made.

Gameplay? The isometric style of RPG combat is the genre. If you mean the mechanics of it, no, that'll be completely different, since it'll be modified 5e rules, not Divinity's system ("modified" because some tweaks have to be made to make it work in a CRPG).

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Crashing a ship onto a coast is the fantasy CRPG version of "you all meet in a tavern"
    I cant remember the last one outside of Path of Exile.

And Taverns are a long dead trope since what diablo?

So not bothering to read the rest of more defense force nonsense. Im not even saying its a bad thing, just that they should have called it divinity 3 to save all the confusion.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant remember the last one outside of Path of Exile.

And Taverns are a long dead trope since what diablo?

So not bothering to read the rest of more defense force nonsense. Im not even saying its a bad thing, just that they should have called it divinity 3 to save all the confusion.
    And that's a bullshit position. It isn't a Divinity game. It's an entirely different system, with a completely separate story and setting and mechanics. You're literally making up bullshit, here, and calling people names for not swallowing it with a smile.

Hey, at least they're not Piranha Bytes making the same game over and over for 20 years, with just different skins and different story every time, and also failing at being anything more than a mediocre product every time.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-03-17 at 06:46 AM.