Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    A new law was passed saying that people who take ADHD meds have to visit a doctor every 3 months to get their meds.

Why does the healthcare system make people jump through hoops to get the stuff they need?

My mom says my insurance might not cover all the doctor visits, so we might have to pay for my meds out of pocket.

The American healthcare system is a joke.
    The US healthcare system is designed to maximize shareholder value, not to actually resolve medical issues. Solve the former, and you'll find the latter very easy to make advancements on.

In the meantime, it's far more financially feasible to string you along rather than curing you.

If you can't afford what you need, rely on family/friends/your faith community (if you have one), or private charities. If I don't choose to help, you have no right to my money. I took time out of my life to go to work and earn it. It's MINE.

Keep your taxes out of my wallet.

If you think it sucks now, COVID-19 just said, "hold my beer".

The next couple of months will be nightmare fuel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most European health care systems have far more required contact between patients and doctor's than the US. Some don't even allow refills, meaning you need at least cursory contact monthly. Of all the problems within the US health Care system to focus on... This is an odd one

"What better ware to peddle than life? Nothing else is as precious - nor so desperately craved. And no price is too great for the man or woman who fears an abrupt and permanent end." - Benjamin Church, Assassin's Creed 3

I don't know how it is with ADHD medicine in Finland, but I get my own mild drug prescriptions supplemented by requesting them online. A doctor reviews it at some point and makes the decision, which in my case has so far been 100% positive.
    Last edited by Zuben; 2020-03-18 at 09:58 AM.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

If you can't afford what you need, rely on family/friends/your faith community (if you have one), or private charities. If I don't choose to help, you have no right to my money. I took time out of my life to go to work and earn it. It's MINE.

Your income depends on the existence of roads, police, fire service etc. Even the computer you are typing words on and the internet would likely not exist but for government programs. If you don't want to support that then you can move to Somalia and see how easy it is to make money without those things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Most European health care systems have far more required contact between patients and doctor's than the US. Some don't even allow refills, meaning you need at least cursory contact monthly. Of all the problems within the US health Care system to focus on... This is an odd one
    While i would never want to live with the healthcare system of the US, this is something that annoys me to no end.

I've been taking the same meds for nearly 20 years. Every day, the dosage never changed. Still, once a month i have to go to the doctor to get a new prescription. You might think that's good because she can check on me! No, because i never talk to my doctor, but to her secretary who fills out the prescription. So once a month i have to leave earlier from work to show up personally at my doctors office, without my doctor even seeing me.

Oh, and these are not some highly sought drugs, they are fucking blood pressure medication.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    If you're taking medication, you should be regularly visiting a doctor to make sure your dosage is appropriate.
    If only that did not cost money.

And no, you don't need to do that for a lot of meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    While i would never want to live with the healthcare system of the US, this is something that annoys me to no end.

I've been taking the same meds for nearly 20 years. Every day, the dosage never changed. Still, once a month i have to go to the doctor to get a new prescription. You might think that's good because she can check on me! No, because i never talk to my doctor, but to her secretary who fills out the prescription. So once a month i have to leave earlier from work to show up personally at my doctors office, without my doctor even seeing me.

Oh, and these are not some highly sought drugs, they are fucking blood pressure medication.
    My question to this response is; do you actually see your Doctor in regards to your Blood Pressure every so often? It seems weird that only the Dr's Secretary just sees you to write a new prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by Starporal View Post
    Your income depends on the existence of roads, police, fire service etc. Even the computer you are typing words on and the internet would likely not exist but for government programs. If you don't want to support that then you can move to Somalia and see how easy it is to make money without those things.
    The only legitimate purpose of government,imo, is the protection of private property rights, from internal threats with police & firefighters, & from external threats with military force. Roads facilitate both these areas of protection.

Everything else should be completely privatised.

what on earth medication requires that?

Why wouldn't you just call in for a refill to your doc?
    they can zap it over to the pharma
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Phanius View Post

all financial wealth belongs to the state first not the individual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Doesn't it belong to federal reserve from that the state borrows?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    My question to this response is; do you actually see your Doctor in regards to your Blood Pressure every so often? It seems weird that only the Dr's Secretary just sees you to write a new prescription.
    Simple answer: I get a 3 day evaluation each year, and i take my blood pressure every day. As long as there is no change, there isn't a lot to talk about, so yes, i only see the secretary. And this is quite common.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    what on earth medication requires that?

Why wouldn't you just call in for a refill to your doc?
    they can zap it over to the pharma
    No they can't as this would be illegal in my country. Sadly. I have to come in person and my doc has to put his/her signature on it. This is the law...

No they can't as this would be illegal in my country. Sadly. I have to come in person and my doc has to put his/her signature on it. This is the law...
    controlled substance then? It can't be something like blood pressure meds or insulin...that would just be silly
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    controlled substance then? It can't be something like blood pressure meds or insulin...that would just be silly
    Austria's health care system is distinctly more restrictive in terms of how freely prescriptions can move around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Austria's health care system is distinctly more restrictive in terms of how freely prescriptions can move around.
    damn sounds freaky wasteful, but I will have to read into it now I am curious
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    damn sounds freaky wasteful, but I will have to read into it now I am curious
    The US prescription system is distinctly different. European systems prepackage for safety and speed, for example, but it means less flexibility for custom orders (like I want you to take 1.5 daily for 2 weeks, and if you're tolerating it fine 2 for 2 more weeks can't be cleanly represented in a prepacked order). Emergencies have to be handled by an ER doc or the like, no contacting doctor after hours because you dropped your seizure medication.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    In a communist tyranny maybe. I maintain the only justifiable aim of government is to protect private property rights

10+ Year Old Account
    Broadly speaking there are 3 classifications of meds here:

1. Over the counter - your cough syrup - everyone can buy freely in the pharmacy
    2. Prescription meds - need a signature from a doctor; no refill - my blood pressure meds for example
    3. Even more restricted - you need a prescription from an Oberarzt (super doctor) for potentially dangerous medication. E.g.: Opiods.

Now you can doubt my words, but I#ve been living with this system the past 35 years and it rarely changed.

And as you brought it up, a friend of mine who has diabetes 1 for over 30 years still has to go regularly to the doctor to get a new prescription for his insulin.