I just don't get it. Why can't they just make interesting superheroes, and let diversity trickle in on the side.

Make someone like Iron Man, but then he just happens to be gay. Don't make Gay Man, and try to find a way to make, idk, gay leather subculture into a superpower or whatever. That's idiotic and counterproductive, because it makes a spectacle of diversity rather than showing it as a fact of life we simply accept in a state of new normalcy.

Peter Parker was interesting because he had superpowers but was also a teenager. He didn't get TEENAGE superpowers and became Zit Man or Puberty Man or whatever. What kind of ham-fisted, lame-ass design would that be. But it's exactly what we get here.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I just don't get it. Why can't they just make interesting superheroes, and let diversity trickle in on the side.

Make someone like Iron Man, but then he just happens to be gay. Don't make Gay Man, and try to find a way to make, idk, gay leather subculture into a superpower or whatever. That's idiotic and counterproductive, because it makes a spectacle of diversity rather than showing it as a fact of life we simply accept in a state of new normalcy.

Peter Parker was interesting because he had superpowers but was also a teenager. He didn't get TEENAGE superpowers and became Zit Man or Puberty Man or whatever. What kind of ham-fisted, lame-ass design would that be. But it's exactly what we get here.
    I don’t quite see it none of them have powers nor designs related to any kind of diversity, unless vampire counts.

If it wasn’t for there silly names (other then b negative great vampire name) then they would just be like any other boringly designed hero’s with basic powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

It's kind of funny to bring up Iron Man in this context. I mean, sure, he wasn't about sexuality in that way or anything like that. The character was designed specifically by Stan Lee to be a representation of what people at the time hated (war profiteering, 1%ing, industrialism) and "shove him down [the readers'] throats and make them like him - just because he felt like it would be fun. I.e. he was being quite a troll there.

The current stuff parallels that in many ways, only in a different environment. If the same kind of internet culture existed back then as it does today, he'd probably have gotten a similar reaction back then and few would have even gone out to read his stuff. As was, people actually went out and read Iron Man, many ending up liking him despite what he represented. A good writer can make any concept work. A bad writer cannot.
    We will see how this pans out. So far, I am not exactly tilted since it's apparently a series about stupid kids taking on stupid names (which imho is kind of realistic, though naturally probably contrived that way) and learning from more experienced heroes. Who knows, maybe it will be about how they realize those are pretty dumb names. Maybe it will be preachy and try to put them on a pedestal. We'll see. Can't be much worse than the superhero team created with the express purpose to have lots of sex and spread their 'superior' genes, which for some reason contained a gay man, a robot and a plant. With the rest getting Aids iirc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    It's kind of funny to bring up Iron Man in this context. I mean, sure, he wasn't about sexuality in that way or anything like that. The character was designed specifically by Stan Lee to be a representation of what people at the time hated (war profiteering, 1%ing, industrialism) and "shove him down [the readers'] throats and make them like him - just because he felt like it would be fun. I.e. he was being quite a troll there.

The current stuff parallels that in many ways, only in a different environment. If the same kind of internet culture existed back then as it does today, he'd probably have gotten a similar reaction back then and few would have even gone out to read his stuff. As was, people actually went out and read Iron Man, many ending up liking him despite what he represented. A good writer can make any concept work. A bad writer cannot.
    We will see how this pans out. So far, I am not exactly tilted since it's apparently a series about stupid kids taking on stupid names (which imho is kind of realistic, though naturally probably contrived that way) and learning from more experienced heroes. Who knows, maybe it will be about how they realize those are pretty dumb names. Maybe it will be preachy and try to put them on a pedestal. We'll see. Can't be much worse than the superhero team created with the express purpose to have lots of sex and spread their 'superior' genes, which for some reason contained a gay man, a robot and a plant. With the rest getting Aids iirc.
    Even without the internet marvel was getting a similar Stan even wrote about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I don’t quite see it none of them have powers nor designs related to any kind of diversity, unless vampire counts.

If it wasn’t for there silly names (other then b negative great vampire name) then they would just be like any other boringly designed hero’s with basic powers.
    How is looking things up on the internet even a super power? Maybe as a coordinator, but certainly not in the field..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    How is looking things up on the internet even a super power? Maybe as a coordinator, but certainly not in the field..
    They wouldn’t be the first hero with internet connection could be used for hacking and what not, but really it would come down to what else they give him. Without any other tech or any thing he’s just a way worse version of say viv vision.

But given that there being taught by speed ball and others I wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t a moon girl/devil dinosaur esc comic where they don’t really do any thing serious and it’s just purely for kids as the adults don’t let them do any real heroing. Or you know they’ll nuke another school.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    To be honest I've always viewed Iron Man as a dick. It wasn't till RDJ portrayed him that I warmed up to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to see people on my side that are not anti SJW talking out on this

They wouldn’t be the first hero with internet connection could be used for hacking and what not, but really it would come down to what else they give him. Without any other tech or any thing he’s just a way worse version of say viv vision.

But given that there being taught by speed ball and others I wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t a moon girl/devil dinosaur esc comic where they don’t really do any thing serious and it’s just purely for kids as the adults don’t let them do any real heroing. Or you know they’ll nuke another school.
    I mean purely by what they describe here; it just sounds extremely lame. As a pitch for the character to potential readers this is just underwhelming, as the technomancher/hacker angle doesn't get mentioned which would be the only interesting things about such a character .

Edit: And I'm harping on that character since I'm still not convinced that the others aren't just april fools jokes .
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-03-19 at 04:08 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean purely by what they describe here; it just sounds extremely lame. As a pitch for the character to potential readers this is just underwhelming, as the technomancher/hacker angle doesn't get mentioned which would be the only interesting things about such a character .
    As far as character announcements go this is likely the worse they have ever done. A cyromancer who can only make snow flakes and a kid acting as google maps is really lame and I can’t see them limiting them to only those things.

Safe space seems fine though depending on how they write him a mental black limiting the use of powers fits in after what speed ball went though. B negative also seems fine though trailblazer seems incredibly bland.

As far as character announcements go this is likely the worse they have ever done. A cyromancer who can only make snow flakes and a kid acting as google maps is really lame and I can’t see them limiting them to only those things.

Safe space seems fine though depending on how they write him a mental black limiting the use of powers fits in after what speed ball went though. B negative also seems fine though trailblazer seems incredibly bland.
    I think safesapce, besides the name and and the low effort character design (the more detailed version doesn't look that bad) is probably the only one here I could somewhat get behind, though the limit of "barriers only for others" seems extremely artificial. The vamp is just a vamp, the character has already written itself a dozen times over by the first sketch of the concept art. The cringe-inducing name doesn't help that. In fact the only saving grace for me would be if the character's character arc would revolve around everyone calling out his dumb name and him getting over his emo phase by the end of it.

The backpack girl, as the potential focus point of the story, is just flat out weird. I just don't see how randomly pulling out deus ex machinas from a deluxe bag of holding is going to be interesting or a super power in the first place. Even if the bag is limited to her alone, this is pure comedic relief character territory. Not to mention the character design looks bizarre. Fatso who likes to charge ahead is like an oxymoron in the first place and I'm not exactly in good shape myself. Drawing her with a tighgap the size of her head while giving her the silhouette of a sea-cow also puts her more into weird fetish territory or desperate wishfullfilment. Then there is the whole angle about being too young for doing vigilante work.. I mean.. ??? I might have missed it, but is the SRA back in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    To be honest I've always viewed Iron Man as a dick. It wasn't till RDJ portrayed him that I warmed up to him.
    Oh, he most certainly was and still is. But hey, at least that's one character that is supposed to be one, instead of being a dick that the writer insists on being in the right and moral and whatnot.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think safesapce, besides the name and and the low effort character design (the more detailed version doesn't look that bad) is probably the only one here I could somewhat get behind, though the limit of "barriers only for others" seems extremely artificial. The vamp is just a vamp, the character has already written itself a dozen times over by the first sketch of the concept art. The cringe-inducing name doesn't help that. In fact the only saving grace for me would be if the character's character arc would revolve around everyone calling out his dumb name and him getting over his emo phase by the end of it.

The backpack girl, as the potential focus point of the story, is just flat out weird. I just don't see how randomly pulling out deus ex machinas from a deluxe bag of holding is going to be interesting or a super power in the first place. Even if the bag is limited to her alone, this is pure comedic relief character territory. Not to mention the character design looks bizarre. Fatso who likes to charge ahead is like an oxymoron in the first place and I'm not exactly in good shape myself. Drawing her with a tighgap the size of her head while giving her the silhouette of a sea-cow also puts her more into weird fetish territory or desperate wishfullfilment. Then there is the whole angle about being too young for doing vigilante work.. I mean.. ??? I might have missed it, but is the SRA back in place?
    I’d agree that conceptually safe space is the strongest even if he suffers a lacklustre design and an awful name. I’d also agree that I’m not sure why trail blazer is a thing at all her design sucks her “power” sucks she has nothing going for her to make her interesting.

I’m also incredibly bias to B negative as he looks like he stepped straight out of the Danny ketch ghost rider books with ghost rider being my favourite hero and the ketch books being my favourite version of him.

This also isn’t the SRA it’s some new Kamala law only effecting teens because of the champions blundering some Stuff.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-03-19 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post

How is thunder thighs a derogatory name? It's quite opposite
    It seems to have multiple meanings, but one of those and the one I have always heard is derogatory toward fat people. Fat people's thighs banging, grinding and slapping together creating the sound of thunder or some such silliness. Would make perfect sense for this character running into battle with the sound of thunderous thighs...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    It seems to have multiple meanings, but one of those and the one I have always heard is derogatory toward fat people. Fat people's thighs banging, grinding and slapping together creating the sound of thunder or some such silliness. Would make perfect sense for this character running into battle with the sound of thunderous thighs...
    then it should be powder thighs for baby powder constantly being applied to troubled sweating area

What a shit show those new "heroes" are what's next

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    As much as I hate Quartering and Heel v Baby face and as much as I wish those two would fall off a cliff sometime in the near future, Marvel brought this on themselves by creating a mockery of diversity, It was literally like these heroes were created by right wing man babys to 'own the SJW's'

Who are their villains? 'White Privilege' and 'Toxic Masculinity'?

I swear these new heroes were created by a bunch of middle aged white men in a board meeting in a 'hello my fellow kids' moment

I am sure there were good intentions. But the execution is damn near laughable cringe. Wanna create non binary characters, fine, how about hire some actual non binary writers and artists

I know Marvel has pissed off the LGBTQ community with this and that's a mistake when you are pissing off the people you are trying to cater to :P

To be fair some of those were good and executed well within the terms of the story. X-23 as Wolverine was one of the best comics around at the time and was fitting considering Wolverine was dead and they literally built Laura up so well over time. I enjoyed Sam Wilson as Captain America too.

My girlfriend enjoyed Jane Foster as Thor, I wasnt that fond of it but I never really liked Thor comics in general lol.

The only ones that were pulled off badly were Riri Williams filling in for Iron Man as Ironheart and Amadeus Cho as Hulk nothing against Cho I love his character but he sucked within the confines of this Hulk run. :P
    But their sales already made a declining industry decline further.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    actually the industry hit a new high in 2018 and only had a slight dip in 2017
    Comics and graphic novel sales hit a new high in 2018, according to a new joint estimate by ICv2’s Milton Griepp and Comichron’s John Jackson Miller. Total comics and graphic novel sales to consumers in the U.S. and Canada were approximately $1.095 billion in 2018, an $80 million increase over sales in 2017. The increase was due to gains in book channel and digital sales, and the inclusion of an estimate for U.S. and Canada sales through crowdfunding sites for the first time.

“After a brief downturn in 2017, the market bounced back last year,” Miller said. “Popular releases helped right the ship in comics shops, even as other sales avenues made significant gains."
    https://www.comichron.com/yearlycomi...ustrywide.html
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-03-20 at 03:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    I cannot speak for everyone but my main reason for no longer buying Marvel was the over saturation of large scale crossover events, it had nothing to do with the comics, although the comics themselves were affected because that halted character development because this large scale event was happening. When a comic could get into an interesting story it would then have to be put on hold completely distracting you from this character you were trying to get into. Its not fun and its horrible for new readers. The comics were fine for the most part, I just wish they had time to breath.
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-03-20 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I cannot speak for everyone but my main reason for no longer buying Marvel was the over saturation of large scale crossover events
    Lord yes. God I wish I could put say a 5 year moratorium on any new large scale crossover event at both Marvel and DC. I'd allow the occasional small crossover, if you want Batman and Superman to have a 4 issue crossover, sure, if you want Spiderman and Black Panther to have a 6 issue story arc, okay. But for the most part I'd have them spend five years writing good books, developing characters, building up the current stuff, and then, if they could pull that off, THEN I'd allow them to do one "big" crossover.