10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    that worked out well for china and the sars vaccine. it is reported as a possible factor in the (real) severity of the bad end of outcomes.
    What SARS vaccine? No SARS vaccine was administered.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What part of 1% mortality rate don't you understand?
    Or that 20% will need medical intervention.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumred View Post
    Idk will we? Japan and South Korea as far as I know are not on lockdowns and their numbers are fairly stable.
    From some quick reading it's saying Japan hasn't really tested that much and may be lying about numbers to save face for the Olympics.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...an-where-is-it

SK was heavy on testing and treating from the start.
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...et-its-success
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Republican Florida Governor is still an idiot, big gatherings is why it spread quickly around Italy. Young people are not Invincible Against the Corona and it can still cause Life Long Damage to your body.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ernor-n1163741
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-03-19 at 09:39 PM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Get back to me when you suddenly care about all those other deaths happening that aren't about this virus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Get back to me when you suddenly care about all those other deaths happening that aren't about this virus.
    Like what? What do you think is killing 1% or more that we don't care about? Are we suppose to list them all in this thread everytime we say something about this?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Just admit that you want old people to die. Because they will if this pandemic is not managed.
    Maybe you missed the response about taking the elderly out of equation. Or do you think they're wandering around completely ignorant of what's going on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Over a million people die in the US every year from various causes. I'd like to not raise that number too much but lets keep things in perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Like what? What do you think is killing 1% or more that we don't care about? Are we suppose to list them all in this thread everytime we say something about this?
    Smoking comes to mind easily enough..
    The upshot is, people want the country to crash and burn...and what happens then?

- - - Updated - - -

How do you plan on taking them out of the equation?
    Are you on drugs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Expect a spike in suicides once peoples livelihoods are destroyed

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    I'm pretty sure shadowferal is an old person.
    Not far from it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Over a million people die in the US every year from various causes. I'd like to not raise that number too much but lets keep things in perspective
    To put it in perspective... leading cause of death currently in the US is heart disease with about 670k deaths.

This 1 Let me repeat 1 illness can quadrupedal that number.

10+ Year Old Account
    Young(er) people are filling up the hospitals in the US. Some thing it's due to the bodies over response to the virus, kind of like an allergic reaction. I think it's a symptom of American health care where many young people cannot afford medical bills or to take off for checkups. They're bodies are overworked, overstressed, and they've been living with someone unchecked condition for years. I also think it's due to people letting down their defenses and not being proactive, thus getting hit harder.

Smoking, that includes vaping and weed, increases the chances of you showing symptoms.

Undiagnosed high blood pressure, which is more Americans than not - even if you think you're healthy. Increases your chances of showing symptoms.

"Riding out" the symptoms instead of managing them with OTCs increases your chances of complications. Unfortunately a bunch of people are hoarding OTCs and there's a national shortage.

There's some promising research going on related to the virus but nothing that will yield results for months.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Smoking comes to mind easily enough..
    The upshot is, people want the country to crash and burn...and what happens then?

1 self inflicted.
    2, not the leading cause of death in the US
    3, No where near 1% of the population dying from it.

Not to mention. We have done a hell of a lot to try and lower deaths from smoking. Not sure what rock you live under.

That number seemed low, so I had to look it up.

Some site claims that normally 2.8 million die each year in the US, 55k from flu and pneumonia. Covid-19 has the potential to kill at least a million in the US, so I don't see how that perspective gives any comfort.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    my energy for the 'missing some zeros' posts is limited. why bother? humans as a group don't handle numbers with lots of zeros well intuitively.

10000, 100000, 1000, 1000000, 10000000, all are big numbers and pretty much the same.
    Ugh, that is exactly the problem we're having here.

- - - Updated - - -

Forget the 1% mortality, what about the 20% hospitalization rate doesn't he understand?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    That number seemed low, so I had to look it up.

Some site claims that normally 2.8 million die each year in the US, 55k from flu and pneumonia. Covid-19 has the potential to kill at least a million in the US, so I don't see how that perspective gives any comfort.
    It's not really to give comfort just that life will go on even if you add (god forbid) another 1-2million on top of that (mostly elderly sick people). I'd rather not see a spike in suicide rates because people go homeless from losing their jobs in this fucked country

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not really to give comfort just that life will go on even if you add (god forbid) another 1-2million on top of that (mostly elderly sick people). I'd rather not see a spike in suicide rates because people go homeless from losing their jobs in this fucked country
    I haven't seen anyone in this thread say that life/country will fail from this. Well I see at least 1 person thinking the country may fail because we are fighting this but thats another story.

btw. the 1% estimate is low balling it. it's closer to 10% when it comes to elderly so overall may end up being more than 1%

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Forget the 1% mortality, what about the 20% hospitalization rate doesn't he understand?
    Even with Young people it can cause Life Long Damage to their bodies.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

*shrugs*
    We'll see what happens...but tanking the economy? As much as some here want that, that probably won't happen.