7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    I would not be surprised if Trump comes out tomorrow night and says the entire country is going to shelter in place for 2 weeks. Not saying it will happen, but it would not surprise me.
    Does he actually have the authority to that?
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    if he invokes the NDA act or other similar legislation, the federal government has extraordinary power for the duration. so the answer is if he invokes the proper legislation, then yes he very likely can.

one nice example I sort-of remember is that the feds can direct you to do any job they assign for the duration. Not sure what they have to pay you. It raised eyebrows when it was added in during the previous administration.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    In situations like this, there are laws that grant the Executive Branch extraordinary authority.

Edited to add: Last night we had 280 cases. As of tonight, we have close to 400. I expect us to be well over the 400 mark by tomorrow morning. It seems like the spike is hitting in Louisiana. ._.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Hmm...question for you guys.
    Seeing how Trump has changed back to his misinformation towards the virus, think Fox news will change back to also doing it?
    *Seemed the only reason Fox changed from being stupid is cause they follow Trump* So i wonder by Trump changing back..if Fox will follow.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Hmm...question for you guys.
    Seeing how Trump has changed back to his misinformation towards the virus, think Fox news will change back to also doing it?
    *Seemed the only reason Fox changed from being stupid is cause they follow Trump* So i wonder by Trump changing back..if Fox will follow.
    They appear to have been, although there are a few outliers.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    In situations like this, there are laws that grant the Executive Branch extraordinary authority.

Edited to add: Last night we had 280 cases. As of tonight, we have close to 400. I expect us to be well over the 400 mark by tomorrow morning. It seems like the spike is hitting in Louisiana. ._.
    without knowing testing methodology etc in various states, it is hard to evaluate just how infected south LA is. that said, as we have discussed, mardi gras was an obvious superspreader event and these infections may date from around then.

of greater concern is the per-capita death toll, just eyeballing things, LA looks high. but once again it is early and accounting methodology varies state by state. if deaths are accurately counted, it is a much more reliable indicator than testing/confirmed, at least as a snapshot of infection a few weeks past.

have you heard of anyone being issued 'travel permission' papers in louisiana?
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Source? It's possible that this occurs for the young that had severe symptoms, but they normally already had other diseases at the start at as well.
    According to the Hospitalization Statistics, Plenty of Young Adults had to go to the hospital because of the Virus to get Ventilators etc... In fact it seems that a good amount of cases in American Hospitalizations because of the Virus were young people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/h...ng-people.html
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

This belief that the young are somehow immune really needs to die.

The CDC in the US did a reported based on the first 2500 cases and 40% of those hospitalised were between 20 and 55. It is real bad for the real old, but it isn't any picnic for the young, with up to 20% of those between 20 and 45 requiring hospitalisation.

Over here in Australia, you are more likely to get it in your 20s than in your 70s. There isn't much difference in infection rates between the ages of 20 and 70.
    Last edited by Corvus; 2020-03-20 at 03:58 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone hear from India lately. I am deeply concerned about how they will cope with this Pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    many americans are unhealthy... even in young age... i see american people on this forum telling me i weigh too little when i'm normal weight...
    uh huh, and similar numbers of young people are being hospitalized in Italy.

You can try and spin this into a bash on America, but the numbers are similar in Europe too.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Anyone hear from India lately. I am deeply concerned about how they will cope with this Pandemic.
    India called me, said they were doing okay, but worried.

Seriously though, it doesn't look too bad there yet, but I have to think it will get very bad. It's also probably looking better than it is because I don't think they're testing much. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    India called me, said they were doing okay, but worried.

Seriously though, it doesn't look too bad there yet, but I have to think it will get very bad. It's also probably looking better than it is because I don't think they're testing much. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    Lol.

Damn - if they aren't testing...that's bad. BAD. India has multiple cities with millions+ populations that are struggling to get enough water - in some cases it has to be shipped in on a daily basis. If (when?) COVID19 starts spreading, it's going to go like wildfire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Idk, man... I haven’t been getting a lot of scam calls lately.
    Too soon....

Could get bad there. I wouldn't be surprised if it already bad, and they are just suppressing the info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    without knowing testing methodology etc in various states, it is hard to evaluate just how infected south LA is. that said, as we have discussed, mardi gras was an obvious superspreader event and these infections may date from around then.

of greater concern is the per-capita death toll, just eyeballing things, LA looks high. but once again it is early and accounting methodology varies state by state. if deaths are accurately counted, it is a much more reliable indicator than testing/confirmed, at least as a snapshot of infection a few weeks past.

have you heard of anyone being issued 'travel permission' papers in louisiana?
    I have not, so far. We started restricting access to our lobby this morning (finally), so I think I interacted with about 5 people today. Which I'm fine with - motherfuckers keep coming in visibly ill and it's just mind-boggling.

I'm in a group on Facebook where one girl is asking for advice on where to hold her 50 person wedding. Anyone who points out what a completely irresponsible thing it is to hold a wedding right now (oh, and she's pregnant, too!) is being told they're "mean."
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I have not, so far. We started restricting access to our lobby this morning (finally), so I think I interacted with about 5 people today. Which I'm fine with - motherfuckers keep coming in visibly ill and it's just mind-boggling.

I'm in a group on Facebook where one girl is asking for advice on where to hold her 50 person wedding. Anyone who points out what a completely irresponsible thing it is to hold a wedding right now (oh, and she's pregnant, too!) is being told they're "mean."
    Fucking seriously? She's saying they are "mean"? I guess we'll see a nice uptick in the median IQ when this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Lol.

Damn - if they aren't testing...that's bad. BAD. India has multiple cities with millions+ populations that are struggling to get enough water - in some cases it has to be shipped in on a daily basis. If (when?) COVID19 starts spreading, it's going to go like wildfire.
    Yup. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...040314568.html

Indian authorities have said they will not expand coronavirus testing, as most affected nations are doing, despite criticism that limited testing could leave COVID-19 cases undetected in the world's second-most populous country...

India is conducting only about 90 tests a day, despite having the capacity for as many as 8,000. So far, 11,500 people have been tested, according to The Associated Press.

Balaram Bharghava, who heads the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the country's top medical research body, said the guidance was "premature" for India, where community transmission has not yet been detected.

So, $1,200 per person up to $75,000, then -$5 for every $100 over $75,000. Double for couples.

Minimum buy-in of $2,500 earned income in 2018, and only $600 at that income level.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/stat...50290321772545

It's already on it's way to get worked on, no way it goes out the door like that, particularly the phase-in portion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    So, $1,200 per person up to $75,000, then -$5 for every $100 over $75,000. Double for couples.

Minimum buy-in of $2,500 earned income in 2018, and only $600 at that income level.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/stat...50290321772545

It's already on it's way to get worked on, no way it goes out the door like that, particularly the phase-in portion.
    why not just give every adult the national living wage (assuming you have one in US?) for the next six months??

Better to pay now and still have an economy in six months time.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    Not surprised.

The entire state of New York will follow (if they haven't already )
    It was inevitable really. The entire Bay area was ordered to a few days ago. Then today both Sacramento and Los Angeles were ordered to. So the governor just made it state wide instead of having each county have to do it individually.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    why not just give every adult the national living wage (assuming you have one in US?) for the next six months??

There will be a economy regardless... I don't think giving people money they haven't earned is wise simply supply then with food,shelter,and power.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post

Interesting - is any country doing this?