Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Bethesda is waspinator of shitty companies.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Most of the complaints here are really l2p issues. Yes, it requires you to think and react a lot more than Doom 2016.
    I agree with this... hearing people complain about ammo, jumping and utilizing weak points makes me a bit sad... it's there by design and works wonders. Playing on Nightmare and having to utilize almost all sort of weapons, equipment and mods feels so damn satisfying.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaL GuArD View Post
    There's that, and the emphasis on using the chainsaw in pretty much every encounter because of how sparse your ammo is, and how beefy the heavier enemies actually are(especially if you're just trying to blast 'em - have fun wasting all of your armory on a Cacodemon if you refuse to toss a grenade into its gob). Feels like I'm using nerf waterguns at times.
    No, you just need to hit inside their mouth with explosive. Which is fine for rockets and explosive shotgun mod. How is it hard for people to look at the info given to you in the game lol. I mean you can switch weapon and mods instantly in the game. Is it really that bad to click one key to kill a different monster, its like base level skills requirement.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Most of the complaints here are really l2p issues. Yes, it requires you to think and react a lot more than Doom 2016.
    Although I agree that most complaints seem to be placed within the 'L2P' section, my issues with it is that it felt less like Doom, and more like Quake, or Unreal Tournament with a Doom "skins" slapped on it. Doom 2016 hit that perfect balance of putting that "mythical badass Doomguy" story in our hands, and felt very much like classic Doom games when it came to the look and flow of the game. Trapped on a station, fighting hordes of demons, then visiting hell itself. It was handled like a heart warming callback to the old games I grew up with.

Doom Eternal became (as mentioned) a (in my opinion) poor attempt at innovating on that and progressing it further forward, with a story that, I don't know, felt off compared to the small bits and pieces of lore spread out in 2016. And a movement system that just felt unnecessary, with platforms that boosts you here and there, wallclimbing, platform jumping back and forth, to me it felt like ID Software at one point during production forgot that it was Doom they were making, and defaulted back to Quake, or tried to emulate how Unreal Tournament feels like. I played the game on Hurt me Plenty, and the only time I found the game to feel truly hard, was towards the end, and mostly because I had to deal with a Marauder, a Arch-Vile and like 15 more stuff popping off here and there, but that's about it. Took me 2-3 tries to get the tactics right, and find exactly what weapons to use (Since I spent my BFG ammo a wee bit too early and were left with only Machinegun Ammo, 6 shotgun shells and 1 rocket to deal with it.)

And without spoiling the ending, I've got to say I hated it. I just felt the final boss was a disappointment to me, I was hyped up for it, but eh. And it was hilariously easy, at no point during the final fight did I find myself going "Oh sh#%! My health is low!", in fact some normal enemy encounters through the playthrough felt harder than the bosses. In the end, Doom 2016 felt like how a modern take on Doom should feel, this felt like some kid in class copied someone else's homework and put their own spin on it.
    Last edited by KingSapmi; 2020-03-21 at 03:56 PM.
    Ryzen 3600X | MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wi-fi | 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 Gold | NZXT Kraken X62 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO | 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 | 3x 27" HP Omen 165Hz 1Ms Latency

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    So, Bethesda paid for Denuvo... and forgot to put it into the game.

No one can convince me that Bethesda has some long - term, evil plan, they are just incompetent.
    [video=youtube_share;VCSuqY9d0As]https://youtu.be/VCSuqY9d0As[video]
    Sounds like they're patching it back in though. A shame, from googling it sounds like it would have ran significantly better without that borderline malware.

Glad to hear overall praise here though. Worst I've seen of it playthrough-wise is one time somebody clipped through a wall to glory kill. Seems more polished than most big budget games I've seen on release, though I'm still tempted to wait for a sale just because I'm a cheap bastard.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-03-21 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSapmi View Post
    I played the game on Hurt me Plenty, and the only time I found the game to feel truly hard, was towards the end
    So you played on easy and didn't find the game hard? That's surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    So you played on easy and didn't find the game hard? That's surprising.
    That would be the "I'm too young to die" option.
    Ryzen 3600X | MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wi-fi | 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 Gold | NZXT Kraken X62 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO | 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 | 3x 27" HP Omen 165Hz 1Ms Latency

No, that one is very easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    No, that one is very easy.
    Found this about the settings:

"I’m Too Young to Die
    This is “Easy” but not “Very Easy.” It’s still possible to die at this difficulty, so don’t underestimate those pesky demons. This is a great choice for those unfamiliar with high-intensity first-person shooters.

Hurt Me Plenty
    This “Normal” difficulty is what the developers intend for those new to Doom. It eases you in with the first few levels, but then the intensity and level of challenge ramps up to keep you on your toes."

But regardless, arguing semantics and all that. It still felt too easy. I did find more resistance in Doom 2016 on the same difficulty, especially from bosses. Here it felt like I was being fed immortality through power ups all over the place. I may go back to the game and re-install it in the future to play around with harder settings, but the disappointment of the game had me uninstall it for now.

And it was hilariously easy, at no point during the final fight did I find myself going "Oh sh#%! My health is low!"
    Play on ultra-violence or higher scrub

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Play on ultra-violence or higher scrub
    Sure, when I feel like installing it again. That'll maybe fix how easy the game was, doubt it'll change my mind on the actual game though. But at this point, I see no point in doing so, I played the story and the multiplayer, reinstalled Doom 2016 to compare, I enjoyed 2016 more. But thanks for your mature input, much appreciated.
    Last edited by KingSapmi; 2020-03-21 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Did the first mission, it's pretty awesome even if I'm not a fan of the more arcadey look they are going with for the pickups and UI. But that's just a matter of personal preference.
    tbh the beginning is the weakest part of the game...it gets pretty insane after that quickly

Sure, when I feel like installing it again. That'll maybe fix how easy the game was, doubt it'll change my mind on the actual game though. But at this point, I see no point in doing so, I played the story and the multiplayer, reinstalled Doom 2016 to compare, I enjoyed 2016 more. But thanks for your mature input, much appreciated.
    Personal preferences aside, Eternal is a lot harder than DOOM on every difficulty setting.

I tested both, and Ultra-Violence is a significant step-up. I can't agree that 2016 was harder at the same levels at all, I replayed it in preparation barely a month ago and went through Nightmare without too many incidents, while Ultra-Violence in Eternal is barely any easier, and actually harder in the case of Slayer Gates.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Personal preferences aside, Eternal is a lot harder than DOOM on every difficulty setting.
    That may be so, but I just don't felt like it was. Dunno why, it just felt like every encounter and event was a breeze because of the amount of health thrown my way, especially during the end fight. Maybe a higher difficulty would make a difference, dunno. Was just really easy to avoid any fatal encounters with that many platforms, boosts, super shotgun's grappling hook. Not to mention, run out of ammo? Just chainsaw, fully stocked, health up, no problems. Out of armor? Just flamethrower enemies a bit, skip back and forth to collect all, or just slap some runes in to increase the range you can collect said armor plates, ammo and health from.

I tested both, and Ultra-Violence is a significant step-up. I can't agree that 2016 was harder at the same levels at all, I replayed it in preparation barely a month ago and went through Nightmare without too many incidents, while Ultra-Violence in Eternal is barely any easier, and actually harder in the case of Slayer Gates.
    Maybe I'm remembering 2016's difficulty wrong. Or I've played tougher games since then, gotten better at FPS since 2016. *shrug* It just all felt like I was playing Unreal Tournament against bots. But then again, my biggest gripe isn't the difficulty, although this whole discussion makes it sound like it, its more the story (Yeah, imagine getting annoyed at the story in a Doom game, I know..), and the map layouts, the game felt short, easy and the ending.. Was just silly to me. But, personal opinion and all that. If someone loves the game and find it worth the price they paid for it, neat, personally. I don't, but its too late to refund it now, so I guess it'll stay in my Steam Library until I at one point decide to re-install and try it again, should that be in the cards.
    Last edited by KingSapmi; 2020-03-21 at 05:22 PM.

Well since the thread is livelier now, has anyone found a workaround for alttabbing issues? I can't play something without alttabbing
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Well since the thread is livelier now, has anyone found a workaround for alttabbing issues? I can't play something without alttabbing
    Fullscreen works, if you are willing.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Fullscreen works, if you are willing.
    It doesn't work for me. I still have issues with fullscreen that I have with borderless
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Minor story spoiler, but i found it funny. Reminded me of Portal:

"You can't just shoot a hole into the surface of Mars!"
    New Objective: Shoot a hole into Mars

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    There's an issue with alttabbing? O.o
    Error 404 - Signature not found