Page 1 of 2
LastLast

8.3: a huge success?

We are now almost two months into 8.3 and Ny'alotha, and the completion data is coming through. There have been more M Ny'alotha clears at the same point in the raid cycle compared to M Eternal Palace. This is despite Ny'alotha having many more bosses than Eternal Palace. Horrific Visions has seen engagement, and people are all over the Vale and Uldum. Based on these figures, is it safe to say that 8.3 and Ny'alotha have been a huge success for Blizzard?

This, on top of the coronavirus outbreak and the 100% experience buff, could make Q1 2020 one of the most successful quarters for Blizzard in a very long time.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, very successful. Lots of players in the current zones and instances everyday, as usual for World of Warcraft.

Edit: because it's not entirely clear, and because it is smiling for some reason, and because I can't make it bigger, I feel compelled to explain that the above emoji indicates that I am rolling my eyes. Like, a roll so big you can only see white.
    Last edited by Delekii; 2020-03-21 at 10:49 PM.

In before the same person does the post "Is WoW dead?" during drought of the last 2-3 months of BFA.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty much

3+ Year Old Account
    I first thought this is just a bait post.
    But these are actually interesting statistics, didn't expect that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    so it was sylvanas?

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    In before the same person does the post "Is WoW dead?" during drought of the last 2-3 months of BFA.
    We can discuss the state of WoW at the end of BFA when we get there. But for now, Q1 2020 is shaping up to be a big win that Blizzard desperately needed. Credit where credit is due.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    We can discuss the state of WoW at the end of BFA when we get there. But for now, Q1 2020 is shaping up to be a big win that Blizzard desperately needed. Credit where credit is due.
    There isnt anything to discuss, its the same it has been for now literally over 10 years, expansion hoppers jump at the start of the expansion and some at the end, claiming they are smarter than everyone because of catch up mechanics and how they didnt have to pay to see all the content that its now out.

Then they complain they were these awesome raiders back in the day but no one will take them to any content apart from LFR and thats the reason they unsub, and the game sucks and all the usual dumb shit you read on here daily.

Yes, the game feels more alive on EU side, cause half of Europe is locked inside and instead of having them at work/life during most of the day, there are people playing all day long now.

People still dont understand how a "Dead WoW" is still 1000% more alive than most games because they havent experienced actually dying games, along with the other top games of the world, because of lockdowns you get to see them all logged on at same times, rather than spread out.

All i see is already active players that were mega bored with the game and about to unsub the next month, starting to level/gear up alts now that essences dont require dailies,it wont take long, 1-2 months tops before they are gone for the expansion, which is logical.

I havent seen anyone magically return to the game and resub.
    Last edited by potis; 2020-03-21 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Yes, very successful. Lots of players in the current zones and instances everyday, as usual for World of Warcraft.
    All zones are CRZ now, so all zones are busy.

We don't have access to Blizzard's metrics, so we have no way to tell how user engagement numbers look. All I can say for sure is I'm personally not impressed with 8.3, outside of the raid.

With the experience incentive added, and the fact that most people are sitting at home bored as hell, the population might increase a bit. But does it really mean that the 8.3 suddenly became a success story? I don't think so.

Also server merges used to be reserved for legacy expansions only, this is no longer the case, now we can also see more people in BfA zones as well.

5+ Year Old Account
    This patch is better than the Legion and WoD final patches by quite an amount.

The ONLY issue is that the only incentive to play alts is just to play different classes, whereas Legion had you frantically rushing alts to get a limited cosmetic.

Visions REALLY should've had much cooler rewards, spell-skins woulda done it for me personally.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

8.3 was a meh patch. The hotfixes that added the exp bonus and way to acquire essences your main earned already on alts is good though.

This thread feels almost ghoulish, like people are cheering the coronavirus.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

We are now almost two months into 8.3 and Ny'alotha, and the completion data is coming through. There have been more M Ny'alotha clears at the same point in the raid cycle compared to M Eternal Palace. This is despite Ny'alotha having many more bosses than Eternal Palace. Horrific Visions has seen engagement, and people are all over the Vale and Uldum. Based on these figures, is it safe to say that 8.3 and Ny'alotha have been a huge success for Blizzard?

This, on top of the coronavirus outbreak and the 100% experience buff, could make Q1 2020 one of the most successful quarters for Blizzard in a very long time.

That's an interesting metric you chose there. Myself, I would have compared the number of guilds that have downed any boss in N/H/M Uldir, vs. the number that have downed any boss in N/H/M Ny'alotha. The ratio is about 2.5.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

compared to 3.1? not even close
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    With the experience incentive added, and the fact that most people are sitting at home bored as hell, the population might increase a bit. But does it really mean that the 8.3 suddenly became a success story? I don't think so.

Also server merges used to be reserved for legacy expansions only, this is no longer the case, now we can also see more people in BfA zones as well.
    Subs were nosediving because most are done with 8.3. People really think Blizzard did this out of good will?

They're doing this to test out the leveling speed when the squish happens in Shadowlands whilst simultaneously trying to get people to come back to the game during quarantine.

well it makes sense that the last raid has more participation,as it is the last raid,this is when many people start coming back as they see the game complete,also the last raid always has the best powerups,thats why we see such big clears,wod had the op ring,mop cloak etc,this raid is a lot easier than the first tier for example,we also got corruption and better essences,sure the raid is tuned around those things,but the powerup add up after some time

it doesn't have more clears

146 guilds cleared it so far, 146th guild cleared it 46 days after Limit cleared it

in Eternal Palace 146th guild cleared it 45 days after Method cleared it

One bad part of a bad expansion being marginally better than another bad part of a bad expansion does not a success make.