Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Well, after a few hours I know I won't be buying this game. The game play is monotonous, it's too much of a platformer for my taste, the music is extremely annoying which one might think not to be a problem since you can disable it. But music is an extremely important factor in creating immersion.

It's kinda fun, for half an hour, it's blood gorgeous and it runs smooth as butter on max settings. But it's not a good game, not at all.

Opinion, anyway.
    I want to thank you. I have now seen the absolute shittiest opinion possible, and now no longer need to fear death, for i have seen everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    I want to thank you. I have now seen the absolute shittiest opinion possible, and now no longer need to fear death, for i have seen everything.
    Its the guy that finds Black Mesa unplayable because of graphics. At this point I believe he is just playing contrarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Its the guy that finds Black Mesa unplayable because of graphics. At this point I believe he is just playing contrarian.
    You guys just seem easily entertained, which is good for you, I guess.

No need to get your panties in a twist merely because someone deviates from the go-to opinion. Relax, will ya.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account

No need to get your panties in a twist merely because someone deviates from the go-to opinion. Relax, will ya.
    You don't find the graphics of Black Mesa pretty enough to enjoy the gameplay, and you call other's easily entertained?

Well, okay then. That's... an opinion, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Sounds like they're patching it back in though.
    At this point I wonder why; you can basically download it anywhere drm free.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    You don't find the graphics of Black Mesa pretty enough to enjoy the gameplay, and you call other's easily entertained?

Tbf, not liking a game because of graphics isn't unheard of. I have many games I loved in childhood that I can't get into anymore purely because they've aged poorly.

There’s nothing special about mesa’s game play; it’s a linear shooter with a mediocre story. I need at least one of these things to be well done in order to be entertained. In Doom’s case, it wasn’t enough; I got bored very quickly even though it looks stunning. Mesa didn’t have anything to keep me going, not even nostalgia helped past the lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    I never use the Flamer because of the low dmg and you have to get close to the Enemy and i dont use the normal Grenade only the frost version.
    lol

grenades are on different cooldowns

also, flamer is super good
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Progressing further, holy cow things start getting intense. As @Verdugo pointed out, the fourth Slayer Gate is when the game is officially done fucking around and throws more enemies than the average endgame fight of 2016 at you- and it's barely halfway into the game! I can't imagine what the final Gate, levels and Master Levels hold in store. The Marauder is also a tough yet great boss fight, but knowing you'll have to contend with him alongside more elite demons later on scares me.

My ace in the hole right now is, of course, the super shotty, especially thanks to the upgrade that sets enemies you hook on fire and makes them drop armor. This is extremely powerful, and combined with judicious use of ice grenade, blood punch and glory kill to recharge said punch allows you to wade into groups of enemies and recover as fast as they damage you, so long as there isn't a Mancubus, Baron and/or Dread Knight nearby at least. I'm also quite fond of the Ballista; the Destroyer Blades mod is basically a mini BFG shot if you can find the opportunity to charge it. Again, ice grenade.

Also tried my hand at Battlemode, both times as Slayer. It's quite intense and fun, but (and maybe that was because I faced poor players) the Ballista just wrecks faces in that mode. Mapwide range, huge damage on players, super easy to hit the large hitbox of demons with, and one-hit kills most spawned lesser demons looks like, Arachnotrons included. I want to try the Marauder and Revenant myself.

The game's not perfect... but I'm having a grand old time. I'm even stopping myself from playing it too much, the better to savor it. Haven't had this much fun gaming in a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone figured what to type in the PC in your fortress, next to your collection of toys you've found?

Also, what does launching what appears to be the original Doom on the PC, do? It just crashes my game.

Never mind, did some googling. It's FlynnTaggart, which should allow you to play Doom 2, except, it just crashes the game completely.

How many Daisy rabbits did you find during your playthrough? I found 2. Apparently, there is one in every level.
    Last edited by Santti; 2020-03-22 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Ok you've made your crappy opinion heard, piss off outta the thread then?

Man, the fight right after you pick up the crucible sword, i just can't do it. Marauders are fine, their dogs are fucking bullshit, but serving me a marauder, his fucking dogs, a cyber mancubus, a cacodemon, a dreadnight, prowlers, and a whiplash? I think i'm gonna be stuck on that part for a while.
    BFG solves some of those issues once you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I tested both, and Ultra-Violence is a significant step-up. I can't agree that 2016 was harder at the same levels at all, I replayed it in preparation barely a month ago and went through Nightmare without too many incidents, while Ultra-Violence in Eternal is barely any easier, and actually harder in the case of Slayer Gates.
    UV marauders can go fuck themselves, absolutely no room for messing up, and if theres other stuff around oooh crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Ok you've made your crappy opinion heard, piss off outta the thread then?
    And why would I do that? I'm still enjoying your extremely emotional, menopause-driven outbursts. You're more fun that the game, to be honest!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Tbf, not liking a game because of graphics isn't unheard of. I have many games I loved in childhood that I can't get into anymore purely because they've aged poorly.
    According to some dimwits, it's utterly impossible to dislike content based on graphical fidelity.

Anyone figured what to type in the PC in your fortress, next to your collection of toys you've found?

Also, what does launching what appears to be the original Doom on the PC, do? It just crashes my game.

Never mind, did some googling. It's "FlynnTaggart", which should allow you to play Doom 2, except, it just crashes the game completely.

How many Daisy rabbits did you find during your playthrough? I found 2. Apparently, there is one in every level.
    Wait, there are more secrets than the standard "secrets" scattered around? O.o
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Never mind, did some googling. It's "FlynnTaggart", which should allow you to play Doom 2, except, it just crashes the game completely.

Aside from being slightly salty that you spoiled the code, i didn't find a single rabbit, i didn't even know they existed. And yeah, picking the left option on the pc also just crashes my game.

OT: Story question. I just finished the campaign, and read most of the lore texts, i think i'm pretty up to date, but there's one thing i seem to have missed. Why the hell are the demons all trying to kill each other all throughout the game?

Also, non-lore collectible spoiler & question: The game said that finding all of the toys would unlock a surprise, but it seems like i'm to blind to find it. Anyone have more luck?

Edit: I also hope that the huge destroyed mech in the fortress is sequel or dlc bait. I waited the entire time to get to use that thing.

Edit 2: Kinda massive story spoiler. I did a bit of googling, and i can't be the only one that realizes that Samur, the hooded figure that led Doomguy into the machine that made him the Slayer, is Samuel Hayden, right? Because it is mentioned absolutely nowhere.
    Last edited by Thelyron; 2020-03-22 at 12:46 PM.

Edit 2: Kinda massive story spoiler. I did a bit of googling, and i can't be the only one that realizes that Samur, the hooded figure that led Doomguy into the machine that made him the Slayer, is Samuel Hayden, right? Because it is mentioned absolutely nowhere.
    What makes you think that? I haven't read all the lore yet, but Hayden was a human, there is no indication that he has ever been to Argent D'Nur let alone Taras Nabad. At least not before it became a part of hell. Also, the hooded figure clearly has tentacles and floats, which can be seen in the cutscene (13:00) .

Last edited by XDurionX; 2020-03-22 at 02:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It's basically more of the same, just with new content not sure how it could be worse tbh. I guess there are always those select few hipsters that have to yell "newest version of franchise suxorz back in my day...".
    The hub, and the requirement to keep melee killing to get ammo are my reasons. Just don't really like those things.

2016 Doom was a little more enjoyable but Eternal was still great. I wish it was a little longer or had a bit more to do.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    What makes you think that? I haven't read all the lore yet, but Hayden was a human, there is no indication that he has ever been to Argent D'Nur let alone Taras Nabad. At least not before it became a part of hell. Also, the hooded figure clearly has tentacles and floats, which can be seen in the cutscene (13:00) .

Well,

1) It's clearly the same voice actor. Really listen to his voice, in the end when he says "Now, they will fear you" his tone shifts and he sounds a lot more like Hayden.

2) I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if Hayden lies out of his ass when he says that he used to be human.

3) Vega is the father, the origin/god figure of the maykrs, and how else would he have stolen him?

4) Samur, Samuel, it's not that much of a stretch.
    Last edited by Thelyron; 2020-03-22 at 03:18 PM.

There’s nothing special about mesa’s game play; it’s a linear shooter with a mediocre story. I need at least one of these things to be well done in order to be entertained. In Doom’s case, it wasn’t enough; I got bored very quickly even though it looks stunning. Mesa didn’t have anything to keep me going, not even nostalgia helped past the lab.
    That's excusable I suppose. Comes with the territory of the game spending 15-16 years in development hell. It's still based around the HL2 engine at its core, which was awesome at the time, but someone coming back to it who is comfortable with modern shooter features might find that lacking.

I was the other way, absolutely hate a lot of the modern shooter features, so DOOM 2016 and Black Mesa returned me to an elegant simplicity of controls that I was immediately comfortable in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I just finished the campaign after 23 hours on Nightmare. The game was okay I guess, nothing extraordinary. The gameplay is pretty repetitive and the lore is pretty unimpressive. Not that anyone plays Doom for lore.

Biggest downsides for me in this game are the constant platforms, puzzles and collectibles it throws at you. Also, ammo is pretty different from previous games. You need to treat fodder as loot sponges and basically farm them forever.
    On top of this, the game is extremely console-ish. Invisible walls everywhere, even on places which look accessible.

Then all of a sudden you encounter the Marauder - a dude that looks like Shao Kahn with an impervious shield where you basically have to counterattack or do no damage. Welcome to Dark Souls.

All in all an okay and playable game. Doom 2016 is better in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, the fight right after you pick up the crucible sword, i just can't do it. Marauders are fine, their dogs are fucking bullshit, but serving me a marauder, his fucking dogs, a cyber mancubus, a cacodemon, a dreadnight, prowlers, and a whiplash? I think i'm gonna be stuck on that part for a while.
    I died there 5 times or so on Nightmare - then I was accidentally knocked down the way you came from. Turns out that alleviated much pressure as any new spawn had to run there. Beat it immediately when that happened.