10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So we are now offering to help North Korea but Trump doesn't want to help our own states?
    I don't believe NK is telling the truth. In fact, I believe NK is flat-out trolling Trump while at the same time telling its residents "the US wants to help us because we are strong and powerful".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...589671425?s=19

Trump is an idiot and dangerous. He can't even acknowledge a factual statement. A dangerous moron who cries 'fake news' to all so we have at least half the public in the dark.
    Does Fauci have some kind of immunity? I mean, he is contradicting Trump right away and gets away with it, what's the deal with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Does Fauci have some kind of immunity?
    He's basically developing one, yes. Simply put, the more useful truthful information he gives during the crisis, the more of an impeachable offense firing him during the offense would be.

He's not flaunting it like Pence. But just imagine what the GOP would say if Trump fired Fauci, like, today.

- - - Updated - - -

So more about the response so far.

1) The head of FEMA went on live TV and said

It really is leverage, I think that to demonstrate that we can use it, the president can use it any time.

And we haven't had to use it, because companies around the country, donations, they are saying, what can we do to help you? And it's happening without using that -- that lever. If it comes to a point we have to pull the lever, we will. But, right now, it is really -- it's really a great sign about the greatness of this country,
    "It" in this context is the Defense Production Act, you'll remember that's what Trump said he was activating Thursday evening.

Trump said he put the measure into action on Thursday evening. He and Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer spoke about the issue in a phone call on Friday.

Asked why he was putting it into action now, the president told reporters it would be used to ensure that U.S. states could get masks and other equipment needed to fight the virus.

“I invoked the Defense Production Act, and last night, we put it into gear,” Trump said.
    By the way, the bolded above goes directly to Trump's "Fake News" cited earlier today. Trump said he was using DPA to get masks. Why, then, would he claim the lack of masks is "Fake News"? Why use a wartime power to make something if there's plenty and no need for more? Or, hmm, is Trump just throwing another tantrum because things are falling apart under his watch>

Aaaaaaand yes, that's FEMA saying, no, Trump hasn't done that. This backs up Fauci, of course.

Mayors and governors (including most vocally NYC and NYState of course) are publicly saying people will die if action is not taken.

Of course, we've also seen that Trump is intentionally outbidding the states -- which also wouldn't be an issue, if there was enough to go around. The supply and demand curve is pretty 101-level stuff.

Simply put, Trump is screaming at the governors and mayors who are asking for help, while his own administration admits Trump isn't giving it. He's failing to act, and is instead only interested in flinging insults. Maybe some of you disagree, and feel free to cite evidence.

If you have any.

"But Breccia! What about this tweet?"

Ford, General Motors and Tesla are being given the go ahead to make ventilators and other metal products, FAST!
    The DPA carries the force of law, not "please do this". There is no reason to give Ford or GM permission to make ventilators. They can make all the ventilators they want. I don't know what Trump is talking about here, and quite frankly, I'm not sure Trump does either. Not only has the federal government offered to buy the ventilators, but Pelosi was specific about masks and gowns...which, again, goes back to the question that Fauci answered with information and agreement, while Trump answered with a childish insult.

2) There was no agreement on the next relief bill. McConnell is pushing ahead with something that Democrats didn't ask for and weren't consulted on. It's all about who is getting the money, and how. Besides things like "should it be a tax refund" or "should we increase SS and VA benefits" the sticking point appears to be "do we give state governments money?"

The GOP is saying "no". The Democrats are saying "yes"

Except.

For the tweet Trump just sent, responding to the above-cited criticism:

Governor of Illinois, and a very small group of certain other Governors, together with Fake News CNN & Concast (MSDNC), shouldn’t be blaming the Federal Government for their own shortcomings. We are there to back you up should you fail, and always will be!
    Besides, yes, yet more childish Fake News, Concast, and MSDNC -- elected official, very stable genius, etc etc -- that's Trump saying the federal government is there to back up the states.

They're asking for help. The GOP is refusing that help, in the Senate, and in the WH.

10+ Year Old Account

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I got ninj'ad. Posting alternate source because why not.

Just so we're clear: this may or may not be the CPAC fallout. The incubation time is still unclear.

10+ Year Old Account
    New York alone has seen over +12000 new cases of COVID-19 and +58 deaths just so far today...

No, that's not a typo, it's really over 12k.

I'm scared to see what the markets are going to do when trading opens after the weekend, as more and more people finally realize what's happening, and just how little the Trump administration has done to help.

EDIT: The first part was apparently some mistaken reporting. The correct number is still over 5k, though, so it's still a crazy 24 hours for NY.
    Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2020-03-22 at 08:02 PM.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Too little, too late.

The Trump administration's proposal to send Americans $1,000 checks is now too little, too late, the plan's architect tells Axios.

Trump and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin took two weeks to publicly support the proposal put forth in a March 5 Wall Street Journal editorial by Jason Furman, who served as chair of the Council of Economic Advisers under President Obama.

"In the two weeks since my op-ed came out the economic situation has deteriorated markedly. It is now clear that a much larger package is needed," Furman tells Axios in an email.

Furman's proposal to send $1,000 to every tax-paying American, along with $500 for their dependents, was embraced by economists across the political spectrum in the interim, including George W. Bush's CEA chair Gregory Mankiw and Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah), before Trump ultimately backed it.

The size and speed at which a fiscal stimulus package gets passed will have a direct impact on how successful it is in helping lift the economy from what is shaping up to be a deep and painful recession this year.

"President Trump’s team initially rejected the idea but eventually came around to it, which has been critical," Furman says.

"But they have still not come around to the more comprehensive approach that I was advocating and is needed."
    Mnuchin was singing the praises of $1,000 per person as recently as this literal morning.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2020-03-22 at 06:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Does Fauci have some kind of immunity? I mean, he is contradicting Trump right away and gets away with it, what's the deal with that?
    to add a bit to Breccia

Fauci is the last off-ramp for Trump

there is no one more qualified that is going to step up and lead this for him if they see that they have to sell their credibility just to try and do their job till Trump fires them cause they missed a spot while licking his boots

simply, to put it to the only thing Trump cares about

how will the markets react if Fauci was out, dispite doing the best job possible, and all that was visibly left to lead was Trump, screaming at Pence every day at noon before trying to blame everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Fauci is the last off-ramp for Trump
    He has already been asked about exactly that contradiction.

I’ve been telling the president things he doesn’t want to hear. I have publicly had to say something different with what he states. It’s a risky business. But that’s my style. ... I say it the way it is, and if he’s gonna get pissed off, he’s gonna get pissed off. Thankfully, he is not. Interestingly
    Fauci is not the last off-ramp from the highway. He's the last helicopter out of Saigon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thots 'n' payers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So we are now offering to help North Korea but Trump doesn't want to help our own states?
    Actually, Iran is now saying the US offered help to them, too.

And Iran claims they refused that help.

Several times Americans have offered to help us to fight the pandemic. That is strange because you face shortages in America. Also you are accused of creating this virus.

I do not know whether it is true. But when there is such an allegation, can a wise man trust you and accept your help offer? ... You could be giving medicines to Iran that spread the virus or cause it to remain permanently,
    I am now convinced both countries are trolling the US. Simply put, now's the time. Both dictators want to appear strong and defiant. There's no chance they'll be contradicted in any meaningful way (it's not like Trump can offer proof he didn't call them), so both countries are going to give themselves a big ol' boost by appearing to take on Trump, and winning.

Gotta say, If Trump and his most fervent defenders continue to...how was it put, again?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    CHINA VIRUS CHINA VIRUS CHINA VIRUS.
    Oh, right. Yes. If Trump and the rabid fanbase are going to use that, Iran throwing "well we heard you made it" back in their face is just adorable. Maybe if Trump had kept calling it coronavirus or something else neutral, the IMPOTUS wouldn't be the subject of the same conspiracy theories on the public stage? Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    the tweet Trump just sent, responding to the above-cited criticism:
    You wasted precious months when you could've taken action to protect Americans & Illinoisans.

You should be leading a national response instead of throwing tantrums from the back seat.

Where were the tests when we needed them?

Where's the PPE?

Get off Twitter & do your job.

-- the Governor of Illinois

"PPE?"

Personal Protective Equipment. The masks and gowns Pelosi was talking about, that Trump is outbidding states for, that Trump suggested he'd use DPA for but hasn't yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The comments to Pritzker's retaliation are those of your typical Illlinoisian too.

"World is ending...But muh taxes!"

Spoken by people who live either south of I-80 or West of I-355 who don't contribute half the taxes that those of us in Cook County do.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

hes fine as long as he listens to his dad and knows the real truth!

https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/1239551403074433025

just get some fresh air and sunshine

When you think about how bad trump is sometimes i forget there is people even WORST

obviously i hope rand makes it and maybe has a talk to his father about irresponsible tweets'

on a side note fauci has been really good, very scientific and professional, and kind of the hero of this whole thing,
    Last edited by arandomuser; 2020-03-22 at 08:10 PM.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1241813715076501509

"We're getting advice so far from the attending physician's office that we don't need to quarantine."
    Lol, they still think this is a joke

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    I think I'll just drop this here...

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Not necessarily.
    And the same of what he said. Whats your actual point? It's all speculation at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post

https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/1239551403074433025

just get some fresh air and sunshine

When you think about how bad trump is sometimes i forget there is people even WORST

obviously i hope rand makes it and maybe has a talk to his father about irresponsible tweets'

on a side note fauci has been really good, very scientific and professional, and kind of the hero of this whole thing,
    Who in their right mind would attack the only person with a brain left in tackling this issue?

Oh right a conspiracy theorist.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Who in their right mind would attack the only person with a brain left in tackling this issue?

Oh right a conspiracy theorist.
    Libertarians.

Actually, Iran is now saying the US offered help to them, too.

And Iran claims they refused that help.

I am now convinced both countries are trolling the US. Simply put, now's the time. Both dictators want to appear strong and defiant. There's no chance they'll be contradicted in any meaningful way (it's not like Trump can offer proof he didn't call them), so both countries are going to give themselves a big ol' boost by appearing to take on Trump, and winning.

Gotta say, If Trump and his most fervent defenders continue to...how was it put, again?

Oh, right. Yes. If Trump and the rabid fanbase are going to use that, Iran throwing "well we heard you made it" back in their face is just adorable. Maybe if Trump had kept calling it coronavirus or something else neutral, the IMPOTUS wouldn't be the subject of the same conspiracy theories on the public stage? Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

You wasted precious months when you could've taken action to protect Americans & Illinoisans.

You should be leading a national response instead of throwing tantrums from the back seat.

Where were the tests when we needed them?

Where's the PPE?

Get off Twitter & do your job.

-- the Governor of Illinois

"PPE?"

Personal Protective Equipment. The masks and gowns Pelosi was talking about, that Trump is outbidding states for, that Trump suggested he'd use DPA for but hasn't yet.
    Look. China is trying to repaint this whole crisis in the eyes of their people. They are trying to say US started the virus in a lab and delivered it to china. They are trying to convince the people not to rise up and call for their heads for what they did. They are doing this by getting western media to eat up their propaganda and then write about it with headlines like "Did the US start the virus?" They had bots on twitter that pushed a chinese statesman tweet to get attention in western media. Chinese aren't allowed to use twitter, yet 10,000 "chinese people" retweeted it? I find that hard to believe. We cant let them get away with this. Regardless of how stupid Trump and co handled this.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-03-22 at 08:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look. China is trying to repaint this whole crisis
    Oh heh, GJ, I didn't see you there. I was too busy re-reading my old post:

Everyone must either decry Trump for making lie after lie after dangerous lie directly to the American people, or they lose the ability to use "Someone else is Fake news" defense forever.
    Have you decried Trump for making dangerous lies directly to the American people yet? I was exceedingly specific. Because, until you do, you don't get to say things like "repaint".

Regardless of how stupid Trump and co handled this.
    This is not the same thing. I once skidded off the road in the snow. I handled that driving poorly. But I sure didn't lie to the cops about it.