Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ...
    Well, I'm glad Greece isn't following the dictates of people like @Mormolyce anymore.

I'm fine taking in actual refugees from Syria, but last count I read from the Greek border only 4% of the migrants were Syrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Only this is not what happened. It was mostly immigrants from Afghanistan, Pakistan and North Africa. There were barely any Syrians in the last migrant wave as reported even by reputable networks.
    I'm unclear on how this relates to what I said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Well, I'm glad Greece isn't following the dictates of people like @Mormolyce anymore.

I'm fine taking in actual refugees from Syria, but last count I read from the Greek border only 4% of the migrants were Syrian.
    So now you love Syrian refugees? LOL.

Also apparently Selio thinks I personally influence Greek immigration policy. And also that at some point Greece was in favour of this? It's honestly difficult to understand what he's trying to say. This is what happens when you form strong opinions on a topic without knowing anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm unclear on how this relates to what I said.

- - - Updated - - -

So now you love Syrian refugees? LOL.

Also apparently Selio thinks I personally influence Greek immigration policy. And also that at some point Greece was in favour of this? It's honestly difficult to understand what he's trying to say. This is what happens when you form strong opinions on a topic without knowing anything about it.
    No, I'm saying I'm glad my country isn't being run by people with the sort of mindset you have. And I never had an issue helping Syrians. Hell, I've said plenty of times the west is responsible in large part for that mess so it's our responsibility to help. What I don't feel the EU needs to do is provide a welfare net for the masses of Pakistan, Iran, Nigeria, and plenty of other countries not actively in a war.

But hey, if I'm doing a bad job getting my idea across to you in English, you're welcome to try any of the other languages I speak. Which would you prefer? Greek?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormvind View Post
    The ruling party in greece is the majority in their parliament. What they want to do, they can do. That's democracy.

As for the swedish constitution, we have no constitutional court so it's pretty much just there for show. It also doesn't really restrict the parliament much in what they can or cannot do. If we want to ban refugees, it's not in violation of the constitution.

Just take a look at what we did to some people we just handed over to cia. They were handed over to be tortured. Our constitution theoretically forbids that but in practice it's selectively enforced. Were there any consequences for those responsible for handing them over? Nope. Because we don't have a constitutional court. Olof Palme also got rid of the law that made it possible to hold such people responsible and the parties won't introduce it again. Because they'd get their asses handed to them by it. Why did he get rid of it? Because his justice minister was revealed to had visited brothels, to save him from the consequences that would have been if he didn't get rid of the law. But corruption in Sweden is low, lmfao.
    So what? If the government in Sweden decides tomorrow that... everyone living in Skaane is thrown out of the country and looses their citizenship (if it is Swedish, they cannot strip Danosh citizenship for example despite what you probably think) that would be perfectly fine with you? No laws can stop the government as you seem to see it?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd support any political party that wants to remove Skåne as it currently exists. Skåne is a suburb to Denmark. They can't even speak swedish there. We should populate the region with people who actually can speak swedish.
    Perhaps you should'nt anex parts of other countries if you cant stand the people

That is just dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Governments have to obey the law as well though until it is changed, they cannot just ignore the laws.. or well they can but they should not be allowed to

To allow that would set a dangerous precedent. Take a gander at what the Swedish constitution says the government cannot do and imagine if they just decided to violate it in regards to your life.

Not sure if they went against their constitution in this particular instance obviously, i have no idea what the greek constitution says.
    Countries go against their own laws by allowing immigrants that enter illegally to stay, even though their own laws say they should be deported.
    You are right to say they should obey they laws, there would be no illegal immigration then.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    No, I'm saying I'm glad my country isn't being run by people with the sort of mindset you have. And I never had an issue helping Syrians. Hell, I've said plenty of times the west is responsible in large part for that mess so it's our responsibility to help. What I don't feel the EU needs to do is provide a welfare net for the masses of Pakistan, Iran, Nigeria, and plenty of other countries not actively in a war.

But hey, if I'm doing a bad job getting my idea across to you in English, you're welcome to try any of the other languages I speak. Which would you prefer? Greek?
    Don't blame the language for your poorly thought out opinions.

Apparently you think processing asylum seekers as you are legally obliged to do is some terrible burden, but you're quite happy to stick Turkey with it. This is just "not in my backyard" myopia.

You know, Turkey has ~23 refugees per 1,000 population - an order of magnitude higher than most Western EU nations. Greece's is at 0.75, ie 1/30th of Turkey's. Why shouldn't you have to pull your weight?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...gee_population

- - - Updated - - -

Fleeing a war or conflict zone doesn't make you a refugee under our laws. Our refugee law requires that they are being personally persecuted because of race, nationality, religious or political beliefs or sexual orientation for them to be considered refugees.

Most of those are fleeing a war or conflict zone or simply poverty or otherwise bad living conditions. That doesn't make them refugees according to our laws, since they are not being personally persecuted for the aforementioned reasons.

Even in the more general asylum system only some 29% were granted asylum last month as an example and that includes people fleeing war or conflict zones and those who are considered refugees in our law.
    Still no source provided, why am I not surprised?

And if you reject asylum cases then what's the problem? Let them in, process their claims, and if they don't meet your criteria then deny their application just like you did with the alleged "79%". I don't see what your issue is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Apparently you think processing asylum seekers as you are legally obliged to do is some terrible burden, but you're quite happy to stick Turkey with it. This is just "not in my backyard" myopia.

You know, Turkey has ~23 refugees per 1,000 population - an order of magnitude higher than most Western EU nations. Greece's is at 0.75, ie 1/30th of Turkey's. Why shouldn't you have to pull your weight?

- - - Updated - - -

And if you reject asylum cases then what's the problem? Let them in, process their claims, and if they don't meet your criteria then deny their application just like you did with the alleged "79%". I don't see what your issue is.
    maybe because greece didnt cause this refugee problem like the warmongering usa/turkey did in the first place

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Not Greece's problem. If you want refugee status and entry into Greek/EU soil, apply for asylum through legal means. This turkish blackmail and provocation won't pass by any means in any civilized country, not is it viewed as anything else but a hostile gesture.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2020-03-20 at 01:59 PM.

The simple fact is, if turkey leaves syria, the war will end and syrians will no longer be refugees. They can return home to start rebuilding.
    Because nowadays turkey is the one prolonging the war. Nowadays, the only areas with war and conflict in syria are where turkey is. There and only there.

To be more presice, the only places with war in syria, is in idlib where Turkey supports the terrorists (recognized by the UN and by turkey themselves as terrorists, no one questions that) and in the east of Syria, where turkey is fighting the kurds, the enemies of ISIS... essentially helping the terrorists (AGAIN) of ISIS by killing their enemies.

There is a reason no country helps turkey in syria. No one wants to help terrorists.

Turkey keeps this mess going, they should carry the burden of their decisions, in this case take care of the people of the country they are invading. No one is forcing them to stay in syria and keep the war going. Their choice, their burden.
    Last edited by d00mGuArD; 2020-03-21 at 03:19 PM.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Always fun watching the xenoi tell us what's best for our security and interests with Turkey.

We see how well that turned out for the Greeks of north Cyprus.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you think I annexed it?
    You was plural :P

Swedish people

Honestly, I find myself in some agreement with Slant on the refugee intake-issue and growing threat of nationalism. Under normal circumstances I do believe it's our moral obligation to help out people in need, but the rise of our nationalist party (Swedish Democrats) is troubling - not just for their xenophobic views but their sometimes very conservative values (that I fear many voters don't think about it as much).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your post doesn't make any sense then.
    Well neither does supporting the government being able to hypotheticallly remove a significant portion of the population because you do not like them..

Please provide the stats you consulted to reach this conclusion.

- - - Updated - - -

The things you guys aren't sure about could fill an encyclopedia.

You are of course wrong on all counts as usual. You can be a refugee from Turkey like any country, but that's irrelevant in any case because these are not refugees from Turkey. You'd know that if you'd read anything about this issue, which of course you haven't.

Don't you ever stop to think that it wouldn't be so easy for me to dunk on you if you took five seconds of your time to actually understand the thread topic before venturing an embarrassing uninformed opinion?

And yes countries do have a moral obligation to accept refugees, the fact that you personally have no morals is also irrelevant.
    No, you can't. Turkey is deemed a safe country. You can't be a refugee from a country that is considered safe. What you're talking about is being an ASYLUM SEEKER. Those are two distinctly different concepts with very different legal consequences. I suggest you read up on the legal texts before accusing someone of being "wrong on all accounts as usual", because I have actually read the legal texts.

Go ahead, "dunk on me". You'd be just about the first to do so here.

I never said we don't have a moral obligation to accept refugees. Are you mixing me up with one of the degenerates around here? Read my text properly. There is a decision to be made which moral obligation weighs higher. And my absolutely intact moral understanding tells me that whatever sobstory is whirling around in your head when you think of this topic, this is what I'm trying to make sure doesn't happen again:

Since you seem to be totally oblivious to what happened then, I'd really call YOUR moral compass into question at this time. But, feel free to make your point. I'm totally excited to hear you explain how it's okay to risk the already way too popular far-right movement in Europe to gain even more traction and have the consequences for everyone coming to Europe be even worse than in the countries they came from.
    Last edited by Slant; 2020-03-22 at 03:43 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Maybe Turkey could stop fucking around in Syria so that the Syrian war would end and the refugees could then be returned to Syria to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    A good number of the Syrian refugees fled from Assad. Why would they return?
    That's usually what happens when a war is over. Refugees go home to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    That's usually what happens when a war is over. Refugees go home to rebuild.
    youu know they have been arresting/conscripting or just flat out disappearing fugees who go back right??

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Probably he doesn't know that because he doesn't subscribe to conspiracy theories.

But yes, some refugees cannot return. Just like in any war, there are always people who side with invaders. Syrians won't take kindly to people who helped invaders ruin their country, especially ones that sided with ISIS.
    fuck off..

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/02/06...ning-refugees/
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...rted-1.3429762
    https://www.ft.com/content/630b11f8-...e-8b459ed04726