Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The US is fucked.
    Americas got a steeper rise than italy on the graph lol.

The people who lockdown first will be the ones who get to recover first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The scary truth is that this is mostly because NY is still the only state testing on a proper scale. I mean, NYC should have more cases then any other city in the US due to population and density but not 15x more. Once places in cali and florida and hell even new orleans start testing at the same scale as NYC prepare to be floored.
    That's not necessarily true. Washington, for example, has been testing pretty steadily throughout. We're not hitting New York's recent numbers of tests, but we've been testing more consistently, and for longer. We're up to about 3500 tests a day here, but the telling thing is that they're still coming back 93-94% negative.

That being said, I'm not willing to bet that you're wrong about the areas you mentioned, so...

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Shit seems desperate to start said treatment w/o massive clinical trial.
    That's a reasonable adjective. 1 in 1000 people in the state are infected. It's about 1 in 800 in NYC. And the infection rate is still rising.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    Soooo I am looking at the numbers form worldometers.info/coronavirus/ daily and yesterday the US had 38k cases today they have 35k cases. Whats up with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Soooo I am looking at the numbers form worldometers.info/coronavirus/ daily and yesterday the US had 38k cases today they have 35k cases. Whats up with that?
    They misreported the numbers upwards by 4000 for an hour or 2 yesterday then corrected it back down to 34000. The number has already climbed 1500 today.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    They misreported the numbers upwards by 4000 for an hour or 2 yesterday then corrected it back down to 34000. The number has already climbed 1500 today.
    Ah ok, and almost 500 deaths, jfc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Because they are still getting new cases.
    The reason why you don't understand simple English is it conflicts with what you posted and like so many you only want to see agreement.
    You do know you can't completely stop the spread of virus? You do know that the point of isolation and lockdowns is to slow the spread of the virus?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny
    they seem to have gone mysteriously quiet.
    Well, I still detest Trump, but yep I'm still here. I still find it appalling that we weren't any better prepared than we've turned out to be, and still feel that it shows we'd gotten in the habit of just writing flu deaths off as an acceptable cost of going about our lives. I don't see much point in repeating myself. Some people like to obsess over the numbers and probabilities; at the end of all this what I care about is how many people died (I don't discount hospitalizations and such, but there is no do over for dead). On that count, regardless of the math about percentages of deaths, flu is still winning -- and yet it should be benefiting from the fight from COVID-19 and the enhanced emphasis on things like hand washing, social distancing, and working from home.

Without COVID-19 we would have gone into this year treating it as business as usual. We are, however, at around 20K deaths from flu already. Compare how we approached COVID-19 when it started to bite, and how we were (not) talking about flu when it was at comparable fatalities.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    This is going to happen, those police officers infected by it but feeling fine will go to work and be in close proximity with others. Considering how long this virus can survive and how long a mask stays safe to use and i dare to bet it will be not the protective but surgical masks that person will enforce others. As medical staff before the shortage was taught to swap masks between patients so that's how long they stay safe.

So the effort to keep more blue on the streets is going to lead to more of them being sick.

That's what you get for voting in people who don't know how to lead, far right pundits suffer from this globally they are great and spinning rethoric and getting people riled out but when it comes to creating actual workable policies, guidelines and laws they fall short big time, since they are out of touch with the real world and because they are used to solving every problem by blaming others, they have never been used to actually create any solutions. Hence donny dumbo's solution to everything is creating more borders.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    Yeah but they might have other underlying health issues. Age isn't the only factor.

Asthma, bronchitis, HIV, Obesity, Cardiovascular problems. This list is endless
    Perfectly health people are getting hit hard by it, if you have one of those it is even worse. It can also be a case where your anti-bodies work too well and there for causing more harm than good.

If you want more information on how the virus actually attacks the repository system i strongly suggest watching this video. It breaks it down in an easy digestible manner.

I also strongly suggest other people who still think it is just a flue to watch the above video.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2020-03-23 at 08:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoH projects the pandemic to die down somewhat within a month locally, however they also project that next winter it will return even stronger, more widespread and are currently purchasing ventilators and preparing for that long term.

We had a special flight from NY to Israel with citizens on board arriving couple days ago, they were sent to quarantine in arranged hotel and 65 of them tested positive in the end.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-03-23 at 08:49 AM.

China didn't take any bullshit. They literally sealed their people up in their own buildings to stop the spread.

The west is taking the approach of "very nicely asking people to social distance themselves and self isolate"

Even though the west,

- Has massive distrust of their government
    - Has massive mental health crisis
    - Forms groups determined to "start the next civil war"
    - Hordes guns
    - Is bent on fighting back against "the man"

etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    China didn't take any bullshit. They literally sealed their people up in their own buildings to stop the spread.

The west is taking the approach of "very nicely asking people to social distance themselves and self isolate"

Even though the west,

- Hordes guns

etc.
    China is China. I don't think we want our societies to be like China. Especially after how they time and again show how regime saving face is more important than their own citizens.

If China would not take any bullshit - we would not have worldwide pandemic of this magnitude to begin with. Their criminal mismanagement of the initial outbreak is what cost us all 2 months of valuable time.

So spare us of your China bullshit. China has much to answer for with this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    China is China. I don't think we want our societies to be like China. Especially after how they time and again show how regime saving face is more important than their own citizens.

If China would not take any bullshit - we would not have worldwide pandemic of this magnitude to begin with. Their criminal mismanagement of the initial outbreak is what cost us all 2 months of valuable time.

So spare us of your China bullshit. China has much to answer for with this shit.
    Oh don't worry. I was simply highlighting that China took EXTREME measures that the west would never think about. And it still didn't work very well.

I wasn't rooting for China dude, fuck you.

You spend way too much time on this dumb forum.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-03-26 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Minor Flaming

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    MoH projects the pandemic to die down somewhat within a month locally, however they also project that next winter it will return even stronger, more widespread and are currently purchasing ventilators and preparing for that long term.
    That is a scary thought. We still don't even know the origin of covid-19. Hopefully they figure out something, weather it be a vaccine or medicine that helps before that happens, if it does.

I also don't think a month is going to make it die down or slow down. We still arn't even sure for how long someone who just got over it is immune to re-infection.

There are just so many unknowns about this disease that its hard to really think anyone has any way to get a handle on how it behaves or if it will come back again.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, that didn't really work. We had videos of people just climbing out of their windows in that case.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Even though the west,

- Hordes guns

etc.
    Several democratic countries have contained or slow the virus without being China (South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Japan).

The Gutter Oil will not avail you, SOUP OF WÙHAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Trump administration: We're handling this crisis better than anyone could
    Also Trump Administration: Sick people can go back to work.
    He never said that. He said it's troublesome because people feel fine and go back to work as if nothing is wrong because they either have light symptoms or none at all.

But feel free to continue with this ridiculous meme. I could link you the video in question where he said it but I'm sure it doesn't matter.

Parroting bullshit is way more interesting it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Several democratic countries have contained or slow the virus without being China (South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Japan).
    Coincidentally, all countries that had experience with SARS and other related viruses. They are also much more on point with things like public hygiene, masks being one of them - I read a thread on Twitter by a Japanese person explaining why you see them so much even during the ''healthy'' periods - it shows that you're part of the team, allowing others to relax near you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Coincidentally, all countries that had experience with SARS and other related viruses. They are also much more on point with things like public hygiene, masks being one of them - I read a thread on Twitter by a Japanese person explaining why you see them so much even during the ''healthy'' periods - it shows that you're part of the team, allowing others to relax near you.
    In my country they're telling people not to use or buy masks because it doesn't work. They say it gives a false sense of security even if used properly. I wonder if it really doesn't work or if they're saying that because there's a severe shortage of it and if people keep buying them there won't be enough for medical personnel

Even if that's the case they should be transparent about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Face masks alone are not effective method of protecting yourself if you are still healthy yourself. You also need to cover your eyes so that the virus doesn't get in contact with your mucous membranes when you interact with infected people.

For people who are already infected, face masks prevent them from spewing infectious droplets around when they cough.
    They're not saying it isn't enough, they're saying outright that people shouldn't buy them because they don't work at all