Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why are so many humans and elves in relationships?

Humans live like 100 years while elves live for thousands of years, isn't that reason alone not to do it and instead go for elven men?

7+ Year Old Account
    its come from fetish, and the tolkien thing, forbidden love, so many differences, etc

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Considering the divorce rate in RL...maybe the Elves are happy to have several shots at relationships

Also...since I am not the greatest at Lore...how many is "so many"?
    AFAIR you can count them on one hand, so... not many.

7+ Year Old Account
    Also...since I am not the greatest at Lore...how many is "so many"?
    in wow just the windrunners i think, in other media there is a lot.

There probably is an explanation what happened to Arwen when she gives up her (relative) immortality? Like..she then only lives as long as a human would from then on? (Also probably an explanation how you give it up )
    Aragorn was also a Dúnedain, he lived way longer than the average man and also heir of the throne, again, he was a forbidden love to her, was more "manly" than the elves, she had her preferences

There probably is an explanation what happened to Arwen when she gives up her (relative) immortality? Like..she then only lives as long as a human would from then on? (Also probably an explanation how you give it up )
    Elves in that universe can die from a broken heart, so it might be entirely symbolic.

All elf males are soo gay

3+ Year Old Account
    I've read somewhere that humans are less rigid and less prideful.
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Not entirely certain what universe this was from, but I remember that in one universe the appeal was that humans were more fertile. Elves were long-lived, so nature made sure that they wouldn't birth too many children by lowering their fertility. 1 or 2 kids in 1000 years was enough. This supposedly also made them less excitable around sex and around life in general. On the other end of the spectrum, humans were rather short-lived, so they lived more vicariously and more emotionally. They also had much higher fertility, so for the elves that had a desire to have children it was more realistic to be together with humans.
    Again, not sure what universe this was from, but that's how an abundance of half-elves was explained there.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine you are a writter. You create this awesome human male character that may or may not look like you or share some of your ideals - whatever, you see some of yourself in him.

What do you do next?

You give him a hot elf girlfriend, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    I've read somewhere that humans are less rigid and less prideful.
    Would make sense, I mean they literally called themselves "High Elves". Doesn't get more prideful than that.

You mean three elves that are sisters, and thus share the same gimmick theme? A whopping total of THREE ELVES?????

Clickbait title.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    AFAIR you can count them on one hand, so... not many.
    You can indeed count them on one hand. And you don't even need 5 fingers, 3 would be enough. And they are strong independent women despite their human boyfriends!

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Humans live like 100 years while elves live for thousands of years, isn't that reason alone not to do it and instead go for elven men?
    That's what is the best. When elf is bored, she doesn't need to go for divorce. Time will do all work for her.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    in wow just the windrunners i think, in other media there is a lot.
    Kael'thas too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    Elves in that universe can die from a broken heart, so it might be entirely symbolic.
    I have always thought that "dying of broken heart" is an euphemism for suicide in literature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    You can indeed count them on one hand. And you don't even need 5 fingers, 3 would be enough. And they are strong independent women despite their human boyfriends!
    Vereesa doesn't seem independent.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

For the elf, it's like having a pet dog. They can cherish the time they spend together, but eventually have them put down.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    I have always thought that "dying of broken heart" is an euphemism for suicide in literature.
    That's interesting. Then again, Tolkien was a devout Christian, and his elves were basically perfect christians as well (only one mate for life, they only have intercourse for reproductive reasons and lose interest in sex after they have children). And considering suicide is a mortal sin in christianity, it doesn't seem likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Aragorn was also a Dúnedain, he lived way longer than the average man and also heir of the throne, again, he was a forbidden love to her, was more "manly" than the elves, she had her preferences
    The Dúnedain descend from elves and Aragorn also happens to be Arwen's first cousin (63 times removed). So seems some additional fetishes involved there.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    You mean three elves that are sisters, and thus share the same gimmick theme? A whopping total of THREE ELVES?????

Clickbait title.
    There are plenty more if you actually pay attention.

Jaina and Kael'thas.
    Edit: Jaina and the dragon Kalecgos (Eeew! sick!) disguised as an elf.

Shandris and that human rambo dude?

Lots of lesser important npcs.
    Last edited by Daronokk; 2020-03-23 at 09:37 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    That's what is the best. When elf is bored, she doesn't need to go for divorce. Time will do all work for her.

- - - Updated - - -

Kael'thas too.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Vereesa doesn't seem independent.
    Why doesn't she?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    There are plenty more if you actually pay attention.

Jaina and Kael'thas.
    Edit: Jaina and the dragon Kalecgos (Eeew! sick!) disguised as an elf.

Shandris and that human rambo dude?

Lots of lesser important npcs.
    Um, no.....
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

The way it was told to me implied it to be literal. Specifically, I was told elves either are slain in battle, travel to the gray havens, or die of a broken heart.

That list lead me to believe it's not just euphemism. I don't know for sure because the answer, if there is one, is probably in the Silmarillion, and that's not something I ever intend to read.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    That's interesting. Then again, Tolkien was a devout Christian, and his elves were basically perfect christians as well (only one mate for life, they only have intercourse for reproductive reasons and lose interest in sex after they have children). And considering suicide is a mortal sin in christianity, it doesn't seem likely.
    Clearly you know so much about Christianity...
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan