Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I really don't mind the media overblowing the seriousness of this situation. The average person is basically borderline retarded, and if they don't get hammered 24/7 with doomsday messaging, they will relax and make the situation into the doomsday scenario that they are threatened with.
    Case in point

Crowds packed California beaches despite shelter in place order

That's not even going into how 13% of the US population thinks the entire virus is fake news. The combination of people not believing in the news or caring about COVID-19 plus and incompetent Trump administration means things are only going to get worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Case in point

That's not even going into how 13% of the US population thinks the entire virus is fake news. The combination of people not believing in the news or caring about COVID-19 plus and incompetent Trump administration means things are only going to get worse.
    I would say do like they're doing in other countries and just have the police and military do street sweeps, but a) this is America we're talking about, and b) your jails are already packed.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

This Nobel Laureate seems to think things aren't so bad.
    I don't trust the China numbers at all. Zero outside verification and a frankly mindboggling deceleration. It defies logic.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/us/ca...ers/index.html

whats wrong with people my age?

literaly putting themselves and others at risk

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I don't trust the China numbers at all. Zero outside verification and a frankly mindboggling deceleration. It defies logic.
    yeah they were covering it up from the very begining, theres no way there isnt more cases since wuhan alone has 11 million people and the province has 60 million, along with direct high speed rail connections to every major city in china
    beijing 21.5 million
    shanghai 24 million

Poor swedes, your national anthem will soon be replaced by this:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Curious how accurate Japan's numbers are as well. They never implemented any quarantines, lock downs, or even social distancing practices; just school closures... It was also one of the first places the virus spread to after China. But the virus seemingly (according to their numbers) never took off there, they only just passed 1000 confirmed cases a day ago.

Seeing videos like this (was filmed in Shinjuku ward of Tokyo about a week and a half ago), it just seems like everyone is going about their business as usual, just with a lot of people wearing masks.

Whelp, starting tomorrow Massachusetts will be under a stay at home order until 4/7.

I hope the media will stop the "analysis" end of the world projection articles and focus on actual facts of what is happening now. Certain outlets are good at this like NYTimes (they still have a few, but some is important so people take this seriously), BBC etc and some I can't read anymore (e.g. CNN).

Columbia University recently published that in the US they expect the actual number of infected to be 11x higher than what tests confirm. I would guess that it would be even higher than that in cities like NYC. Could it happen then, that as testing expands rapidly, you're going to see the infection rate quickly "increase" while the death percentage decrease to a less "scary" number? I'm not saying this isn't serious and people shouldn't be following protocol, but the hysteria and hoarding is making this much more unbearable than it needs to be. I also wonder that because of fear and anxiety, how many people show up at the hospital when in fact they should have stayed home?

Also, not all hospitals are slammed by the virus (no one reports this though). In Connecticut, Yale University and a few others are basically empty because they canceled all elective operations. Do we not have the resources to transport people from NYC to CT (about 45 min - 2 hours away)?

Also, if NYC hospitals on average (I'm making this up- I don't know the number) operate at 70% capacity if you add in any sort of volume at once I would think they would be overwhelmed, especially in situations where you have to quarantine and keep people apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    Whelp, starting tomorrow Massachusetts will be under a stay at home order until 4/7.
    Great, bet that spreads to Connecticut.

Fuck this virus.
    Putin khuliyo

And i still have to travel to work everyday, because apparently potato chips are making me an essential employee. great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    And i still have to travel to work everyday, because apparently potato chips are making me an essential employee. great.
    Well I for one thank you for your service, unless you're delivering those lime flavored ones which seem to be the new craze.

We will find out hopefully soon when they properly classify what "essential" means but your probably right.
    Last edited by noidentity; 2020-03-23 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    So spare us of your China bullshit. China has much to answer for with this shit.

The guy who did nothing but spread uninformed bullshit asks others to stop spreading bullshit. This forum never ceases to entertain me. Please stay around, people like you crack me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeq View Post
    I hope the media will stop the "analysis" end of the world projection articles and focus on actual facts of what is happening now. Certain outlets are good at this like NYTimes (they still have a few, but some is important so people take this seriously), BBC etc and some I can't read anymore (e.g. CNN).

Columbia University recently published that in the US they expect the actual number of infected to be 11x higher than what tests confirm. I would guess that it would be even higher than that in cities like NYC. Could it happen then, that as testing expands rapidly, you're going to see the infection rate quickly "increase" while the death percentage decrease to a less "scary" number? I'm not saying this isn't serious and people shouldn't be following protocol, but the hysteria and hoarding is making this much more unbearable than it needs to be. I also wonder that because of fear and anxiety, how many people show up at the hospital when in fact they should have stayed home?

Also, not all hospitals are slammed by the virus (no one reports this though). In Connecticut, Yale University and a few others are basically empty because they canceled all elective operations. Do we not have the resources to transport people from NYC to CT (about 45 min - 2 hours away)?

Also, if NYC hospitals on average (I'm making this up- I don't know the number) operate at 70% capacity if you add in any sort of volume at once I would think they would be overwhelmed, especially in situations where you have to quarantine and keep people apart.
    I'm not going to comment on Columbia Unis numbers, but the numbers of infected are several times higher than reported everywhere. Unless you screen the entire population you will never get an accurate headcount, and no country has the capacity to do so. It'd also be a tremendous waste of resources.

We only start counting Infected days after they have actually been exposed, days in which they were carrying and spreading the disease without anyone knowing about it. Many, many cases will run their course with no one ever knowing about them. There is a significant delay in observable response, and measures taken today will take days or weeks to show any quantifiable result.

But yes, numbers in the US will spike and drop your infected/deceased ratio down significantly. Not that that will help the infected in any way.

As for hospitals:

Hospitals anywhere rarely run on 100% capacity, that doesn't mean they are understaffed, of course, but to have all beds occupied is relatively rare. Ideally, of course, all beds are empty. That never happens, of course.

But yes, just because a hospital has 100 ICU beds doesn't mean it can treat 100 infected. These beds are also needed for people recovering from accidents, sometimes from surgery, and so on. And yes, a sudden increase in demand will slam them hard.

As for transporting them: Tough. You cannot generalize it. A Person who needs assisted respiration, someone who is hooked up to a ventilator, is often not in a condition to be moved. You'd need to decide that on a case by case basis. And then there is the issue that you are transporting a highly contagious individual, who needs people attending him, transportation puts additional stress on the patient and medical personnel... Sick people aren't 'units' like crates of fruit that you can move at a whim. I'm not accusing you of saying that, by the way, but there are a million factors to be considered when handling sick people that have little to do with the actual treatment. Just throwing money at the problem often doesn't do the trick. Healthcare in general is a slow and cumbersome beast, it doesn't adept well to quick changes, which is why we spend so much on being prepared for every scenario feasible. Or at least should.

Also, just because, in this example, Connecticut still has capacity doesn't mean the situation cannot worsen there rather rapidly.

The media does what it always does, it interviews experts, listens so bad that it only catches on to about 50% of what the expert says, those 50% then get scrubbed of anything uninteresting, and you go from "Conservative projections go from 20% of the worlds population being infected to 70%, over the course of the next 16 months" to "Coronavirus expert says you're probably getting Corona! Projections show hundreds of millions may die."
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2020-03-23 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Case in point

Dey r just dum repubblikunz lulz.

It's people, they are retarded, they don't care, despite their own bloody social media crap exploding with news. They are aware, they don't care because it's not their own problem. The end.

Natural selection at work.

To make it work lawmakers need to be clear and put through proper instances restrictions in place with fines accordingly and then enforcement needs to start issuing painful fines. This does work, it seems. We have started issuing fines to everyone participating in unsanctioned gatherings and it's still not enough, but at least some did chill a bit.

Until you make it their personal problem, it won't work. Authorities here tried to ask nicely about 2 weeks ago and people put a big member on that all and made use of days off to make a giant picnic.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    *snip*
    Take a chill pill, forum doc.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-03-23 at 03:46 PM.

We still have this guy.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Why has the death rate gone up so damn much? It was at like 5-6% and kept decreasing two weeks ago or so, now it's at 13(!) percent!
    Is it because they've stopped testing mild cases across the world and only record cases that are in need of ICU?

Well I for one thank you for your service, unless you're delivering those lime flavored ones which seem to be the new craze.

We will find out hopefully soon when they properly classify what "essential" means but your probably right.
    https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-es...vices/download

Ok, linked is the announcement and list of what "essential" means.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I want is my switch sd card but because the USPS is stupid and only wants to deliver to my apt's office and the office isnt accepting packages due to virus, I prob wont get it -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    All I want is shop normally and not stand in front of empty shelves because idiots can't contain themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    The problem here is that it's incorrect to say masks are useless. They're not and I never said they're enough by itself. At this point you're either arguing for the sake of it or being obtuse for the same reason
    The problem with most medical masks is that they don't prevent you from breathing in the virus that is in the air after someone sneezes or coughs. They do prevent your own droplets from getting out if you're sick though.

Viruses are very, very small.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Take a chill pill, forum doc.
    As soon as you stop adding nothing but your hypocritical bullshit to the discussion and make a coherent argument I'll consider it. I have no equivalent to forum doc to offer you since I can't seem to see any quantifiable qualifications you're demonstrating, so, I'm going to go with 'sub-par forum dweller'.