Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    You left out "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" in this nonsense.
    Best way to do it. I came from a family that barely could put two meals on the table a day. I joined the army learned a extremely specialized and skilled trade and once my contract was up went on to make a six figure salary.

You have to build a life for yourself not beg for handouts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    The point I'm making is that when this coronavirus is over, it won't be over. Banks, lenders, and etc won't care what the government said or what's going on with the economy. They'll be coming for you when they pay the government to say it's over, because there's only so much of this the wealthy are willing to put up with. Personally, paying back your student loan debt would be the least of my concerns. Whether or not you think the degree is useless is irreverent. It was useful to lenders apparently. Enough to go after you if you don't pay.
    ...how are they going to " come after you?"

Just pay your debts.

10+ Year Old Account
    i won't hold my breath.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post

Just pay your debts.
    They'll come after you to pay your debts. Divert funds from important things to paying back student loans. Undoing the student bankruptcy law that Joe Biden helping put in place couldn't come sooner.

They'll come after you to pay your debts. Divert funds from important things to paying back student loans. Undoing the student bankruptcy law that Joe Biden helping put in place couldn't come sooner.
    You should be made to pay your debts... why would anyone think they have any moral footing to be a thief?

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be made to pay your debts... why would anyone think they have any moral footing to be a thief?
    So are you going to demand that the corporations the GOP want to bail out pay their debts too instead of coming to the federal government for a handout after blowing 96% of their money on stock buybacks, executive 'compensation' and dividend payouts to shareholders?
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    So are you going to demand that the corporations the GOP want to bail out pay their debts too instead of coming to the federal government for a handout after blowing 96% of their money on stock buybacks, executive 'compensation' and dividend payouts to shareholders?
    Yes?

The market will never correct itself or grow stronger if you let the losers not suffer their losses.

Is your counterpoint that thieves should be pardoned because some other thieves have escaped with their loot?

Best way to do it. I came from a family that barely could put two meals on the table a day. I joined the army learned a extremely specialized and skilled trade and once my contract was up went on to make a six figure salary.

- - - Updated - - -

Just pay your debts.
    And I did homework under fucking candle light since eletricity was cut off because we couldnt pay, now I am what can be considered middle class earning more than twice the average salary here in my country - and i still think you are absolutely wrong. Useless grades? Because you thought so? Or maybe you think that everyone can learn "extremely specialized and skilled trade"? Really? There will always be a need for "burger flippers" too and they are those amongst most vulnerable. Or is your idea of hard worker only those in "good" professions?
    And are you really comparing them to thieves?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Apparently we just needed a coronavirus to get conservatives on board with Bernie Sanders' RADICAL PLATFORM. Two or three more weeks and they'll be canceling debt, a couple months and maybe they'll be trying to fix the climate, too.

Fuck it, vote COVID-19 2020.
    Spin this as a punishment of God and watch them all crapping out miracles for the next years.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Just pay your debts.
    I am sorry but joining the army is probably the easiest path of all when it comes to learning a trade. As the army is both your teacher and employer, they invest in you and you are garantueed to get work with them afterwards.

You are not self made, you are army made and looking down on others only depicts your lack of understanding of the world having been 'raised' in the army bubble.

You did not have to take risks to get better educated, you did not have to personally invest financially in yourself risking little that you have. You did not have to do crappy jobs to work yourself up, working 10 hours per day and trying to get more hours in to educate yourself.

You had a government hand out by joining the army.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Just pay your debts.
    So you criticize other people for taking loans for their education, because they didn't let society pay for it like you did?

Kudos... i guess....

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how you define a thief. Are the thieves those who sell overpriced books you have no choice bu to pay to attend college? Or the insane tuition price that is controlled by an oligopoly? Or the law makers that passed a law nearly two decades ago that says you can't remove student loan debt by filing for bankruptcy? Many people have had their debts expunged, so are they thieves? Your thought process is either too binary or you're ignoring how the world works. Ask Donald Trump how many times he's filed for bankruptcy to avoiding paying his debts.

Yes?

The market will never correct itself or grow stronger if you let the losers not suffer their losses.

Is your counterpoint that thieves should be pardoned because some other thieves have escaped with their loot?
    What you're looking at now with the economy is the result of this mindset. Specifically 2008 where Obama bailed out the banks to save Wall Street, but in the process he condemned main street to pay for it. The "losers" as you call them, lost their homes and accumulated debt. The rich never got to pay for their mistakes and it looks like they continue not to pay for their mistakes today. Everyone is in perpetual debt and a weak economy, to the point where a virus comes along and decimates it. Nobody has savings, but everyone has loads of debt.

Putting the burdens of this crisis on people that owe debt will surely not work, as evident from 2008. The wealthy must pay for their mistakes, as they avoided paying back in 2008. They obviously won't, and in 2 weeks they'll want to reopen businesses and public events because their precious stock market can't take much more of this. People will still die in the hundreds daily, but they don't care because money. At some point it'll get worse, which will push people into holding their money. Some people will have to choose death from going to work and contracting coronavirus or death from lack of money to buy food.

It'll get a lot worse, to the point where people have permanently lost their jobs and nobody is about to forgive debt anytime soon. You won't have much of an economy if you expect people to pay their debts now.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    There will always be a need for "burger flippers" too and they are those amongst most vulnerable.
    I don't know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Sounds like a job that can get you killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what you signed up for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Spin this as a punishment of God and watch them all crapping out miracles for the next years.

- - - Updated - - -

I am sorry but joining the army is probably the easiest path of all when it comes to learning a trade. As the army is both your teacher and employer, they invest in you and you are garantueed to get work with them afterwards.

You are not self made, you are army made and looking down on others only depicts your lack of understanding of the world having been 'raised' in the army bubble.

You did not have to take risks to get better educated, you did not have to personally invest financially in yourself risking little that you have. You did not have to do crappy jobs to work yourself up, working 10 hours per day and trying to get more hours in to educate yourself.

Weird way to frame risking your life but sure... soldiers are welfare queens I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Weird way to frame risking your life but sure... soldiers are welfare queens I guess?
    In the context of the discussion yes. This is no way shape or form a slight to our military, but the reality is in the scheme of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and "work hard to get ahead" the reality is in exchange for the military service the veterans (as they should) get significant handouts and help in advancing their post-service career ambitions.

It's not a good anecdote to put forward as "I worked hard and got what I got from that" given the government's intervention in assisting military folks succeed (again, as they should). It's almost an argument against the sort of personal responsibility/anti-government handout stance that you types like to make given it's success.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Depends on how you define a thief. Are the thieves those who sell overpriced books you have no choice bu to pay to attend college? Or the insane tuition price that is controlled by an oligopoly? Or the law makers that passed a law nearly two decades ago that says you can't remove student loan debt by filing for bankruptcy? Many people have had their debts expunged, so are they thieves? Your thought process is either too binary or you're ignoring how the world works. Ask Donald Trump how many times he's filed for bankruptcy to avoiding paying his debts.

What you're looking at now with the economy is the result of this mindset. Specifically 2008 where Obama bailed out the banks to save Wall Street, but in the process he condemned main street to pay for it. The "losers" as you call them, lost their homes and accumulated debt. The rich never got to pay for their mistakes and it looks like they continue not to pay for their mistakes today. Everyone is in perpetual debt and a weak economy, to the point where a virus comes along and decimates it. Nobody has savings, but everyone has loads of debt.

Putting the burdens of this crisis on people that owe debt will surely not work, as evident from 2008. The wealthy must pay for their mistakes, as they avoided paying back in 2008. They obviously won't, and in 2 weeks they'll want to reopen businesses and public events because their precious stock market can't take much more of this. People will still die in the hundreds daily, but they don't care because money. At some point it'll get worse, which will push people into holding their money. Some people will have to choose death from going to work and contracting coronavirus or death from lack of money to buy food.

It'll get a lot worse, to the point where people have permanently lost their jobs and nobody is about to forgive debt anytime soon. You won't have much of an economy if you expect people to pay their debts now.

I don't know about that.

I honestly think the current education debt is a crafty merchant simply separating fools from their coin. It seems cruel but people presuming useless degrees would of had that money lost regardless.

Useless education is no less of a public good then alcoholism or a gambling addiction. Simply to forgive the debts of the swindled only leads to more people being swindled.

I agree with you completely on the banking issue but again I don't agree that two wrongs make a right .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    In the context of the discussion yes. This is no way shape or form a slight to our military, but the reality is in the scheme of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and "work hard to get ahead" the reality is in exchange for the military service the veterans (as they should) get significant handouts and help in advancing their post-service career ambitions.

It's not a good anecdote to put forward as "I worked hard and got what I got from that" given the government's intervention in assisting military folks succeed (again, as they should). It's almost an argument against the sort of personal responsibility/anti-government handout stance that you types like to make given it's success.
    I find the conclusions you draw rather odd but in my case it wasn't preferred hiring ( I would argue the discipline instilled by the army is the main draw to employers but that is semantics).

I would absolutely support government supported learning when it comes to teaching people a trade. So long as some kind of societal contract exists afterwards for a certain amount of time to " pay back " the community ( Something like a year or two of employment at publics works for reduced wages)

I just don't think you can build a society were people are immune from the consequences of their poor decisions.

10+ Year Old Account

Thank you for rephrasing the point i intended to make i a more understandable and civil manner.

Indeed the people from that point did not make themselves but got supported by the government in their career choice. If you remove military from the equation that is what other nations do when they retrain people and give them welfare during this training.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly think the current education debt is a crafty merchant simply separating fools from their coin. It seems cruel but people presuming useless degrees would of had that money lost regardless.
    They call that unlawful enrichment. Except its legal.
    Useless education is no less of a public good then alcoholism or a gambling addiction. Simply to forgive the debts of the swindled only leads to more people being swindled.
    Allowing people to swindled will only allow it to continue to others. This also has a butterfly effect in that it will eventually effect you as well. If people can't afford to pay back debts then they can't afford to buy anything, which can result in a stagnated economy. There's a reason why we allow bankruptcy to clear... most debts.

I agree with you completely on the banking issue but again I don't agree that two wrongs make a right .
    This isn't an issue of a double negative making a positive. This also doesn't just apply to student loan debt. In the next 2-3 months from now, people are going to try and collect on debt while a lot of people will be out of work. The economy will be locked into perpetual stalemate where debt collectors will take just about anything they legally can to pay back the debts, while people are unable to lift themselves back up again. Meanwhile most delinquent debts are sold to debt collectors for a fraction of the price. Meaning your $50k student loan debt was sold to some debt collection agency for $5k. You weren't offered this deal.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2020-03-23 at 07:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would absolutely support government supported learning when it comes to teaching people a trade. So long as some kind of societal contract exists afterwards for a certain amount of time to " pay back " the community ( Something like a year or two of employment at publics works for reduced wages)

I just don't think you can build a society were people are immune from the consequences of their poor decisions.
    Ah. I apologize then. I overinflated the second point you were making to assume you weren't in supportive of the first which probably brings up more in line than I would have thought. It's just really hard to figure out who thinks what anymore -- a lot of people have decided that pure anarchy with no government whatsoever is the way to go.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

They call that unlawful enrichment. Except its legal.

Allowing people to swindled will only allow it to continue to others. This also has a butterfly effect in that it will eventually effect you as well. If people can't afford to pay back debts then they can't afford to buy anything, which can result in a stagnated economy. There's a reason why we allow bankruptcy to clear... most debts.

This isn't an issue of a double negative making a positive. This also doesn't just apply to student loan debt. In the next 2-3 months from now, people are going to try and collect on debt while a lot of people will be out of work. The economy will be locked into perpetual stalemate where debt collectors will take just about anything they legally can to pay back the debts, while people are unable to life themselves back up again. Meanwhile most delinquent debts are sold to debt collectors for a fraction of the price. Meaning your $50k student loan debt was sold to some debt collection agency for $5k. You weren't offered this deal.
    I would suggest the ideal solution to this is not debt forgiveness but moving debt to be garnished from future wages.

I don't believe debt forgiveness benefits anyone long term.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah. I apologize then. I overinflated the second point you were making to assume you weren't in supportive of the first which probably brings up more in line than I would have thought. It's just really hard to figure out who thinks what anymore -- a lot of people have decided that pure anarchy with no government whatsoever is the way to go.
    No worries society exists to serve the people at the end of the day or at least it should.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest the ideal solution to this is not debt forgiveness but moving debt to be garnished from future wages.
    That is the default solution, which won't work. In hard times people will want to get paid under the books.
    I don't believe debt forgiveness benefits anyone long term.
    What you believe in is irreverent. This is what happened in 2008 and why the recession continues today. Collect debt and you get the Bell Riots. Let the rich eat the debt and nothing happens.

That is the default solution, which won't work. In hard times people will want to get paid under the books.

What you believe in is irreverent. This is what happened in 2008 and why the recession continues today. Collect debt and you get the Bell Riots. Let the rich eat the debt and nothing happens.

No... you don't just blindly forgive debts I don't know why you are pushing swindling people so hard.

Pay your debts or don't take them.