Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Will Azshara be the chosen one?

We are told that Illidan's golden eyes marked him as special; as every night elf with golden eyes, most notably Queen Azshara, had gone on to accomplish great things.

Likewise, we know that those who have a close connection to the Naaru often have golden eyes, including Turalyon and the Lightforged.

On Argus, we hear the following exchange:

Xe'ra: Turalyon. You have found the Chosen One.
    Xe'ra: Illidan. From birth, the light in your eyes held such promise for the future.
    Illidan's mind flashes back to the War of the Ancients, during which Sargeras burned out his eyes and replaced them with demonic ones.
    Illidan Stormrage: I sacrificed that birthright long ago.

Then, in Nyalotha, Azshara tells us "I tire of intermediaries and heralds. The true throne of power beckons, and I intend to claim it."

This has me thinking, is it possible that like Illidan, Azshara was marked from birth by the light? And if so, when Blizzard gets around the inevitable Light vs. Void expansion, might not Azshara have claimed the role of the Chosen One that Illidan turned away from?

Thoughts?

I doubt that.

they gave a big middle finger to that stuff because of backslash.
    Last edited by DemonHunter18; 2020-03-23 at 07:16 PM.

This is neither Starcraft nor Star Wars. There is no chosen one. This was the point of Legion.

Also, if there really is a chosen one, it certainly won't be a bitch with a God complex who wanted to marry literally Satan.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not every nightelf with golden eyes accomplished great things.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by skulmar View Post
    We are told that Illidan's golden eyes marked him as special; as every night elf with golden eyes, most notably Queen Azshara, had gone on to accomplish great things.

Likewise, we know that those who have a close connection to the Naaru often have golden eyes, including Turalyon and the Lightforged.

On Argus, we hear the following exchange:

Xe'ra: Turalyon. You have found the Chosen One.
    Xe'ra: Illidan. From birth, the light in your eyes held such promise for the future.
    Illidan's mind flashes back to the War of the Ancients, during which Sargeras burned out his eyes and replaced them with demonic ones.
    Illidan Stormrage: I sacrificed that birthright long ago.

Then, in Nyalotha, Azshara tells us "I tire of intermediaries and heralds. The true throne of power beckons, and I intend to claim it."

This has me thinking, is it possible that like Illidan, Azshara was marked from birth by the light? And if so, when Blizzard gets around the inevitable Light vs. Void expansion, might not Azshara have claimed the role of the Chosen One that Illidan turned away from?

Thoughts?
    That whole cinematic was an apology for the "Messiah" stories from the past expansions.

If so, then she, like Illidan, said "screw that" and pursued their own path to power instead. Who knows what she's still after, but I doubt it's becoming a paladin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    This is neither Starcraft nor Star Wars. There is no chosen one. This was the point of Legion.

Also, if there really is a chosen one, it certainly won't be a bitch with a God complex who wanted to marry literally Satan.
    Agreed.

But the Naaru might still be searching for a “chosen one” and Azshara might just be arrogant and power hungry enough to take them up on that offer.

Agreed.

But the Naaru might still be searching for a “chosen one” and Azshara might just be arrogant and power hungry enough to take them up on that offer.
    Azshara has always been affiliated with either the Legion or the Old Gods, who are literally the greatest and oldest enemies of the Light. The Naaru would never choose her as their chosen one.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Last I looked, every male night-elf have golden eyes.

There may not even be a chosen one. The Light shows visions of the future, but as Velen pointed out, it's visions of a possible future, not of what will actually be. So while Xe'ra did see a chosen one beating the Legion, that's not the future that came to pass.

I think what Azshara is referring too is the Jailor. You see during the N'Zoth fight of her and Sylvanas talking. She tells Sylvanas she knows about the master that Sylvanas serves.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Golden eyes mean that the night elf has great druidic potential.
    It has nothing to do with their destiny.

After the sundering when the night elves became a lot more druidic society golden eyes became a lot more common.
    Some even literally gain that glow from hard druidic training.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Golden eyes mean that the night elf has great druidic potential.
    It has nothing to do with their destiny.

After the sundering when the night elves became a lot more druidic society golden eyes became a lot more common.
    Some even literally gain that glow from hard druidic training.
    That seems odd to me. The overlap between lore characters who are powerful druids and those who have golden eyes is, iirc, zero.

Likewise, why did empowering the Sunwell with Naaru energy cause the blood elves eyes to turn gold? And Xera doesn’t really seem to be talking about druidic potential in the quoted dialogue.

Azshara has always been affiliated with either the Legion or the Old Gods, who are literally the greatest and oldest enemies of the Light. The Naaru would never choose her as their chosen one.
    Didn’t seem to stop her from trying to convert Illidan, the half-demon who had sworn fealty to both Sargaras and Kiljaden and consumed the skull og Gul-dan. Keep in mind that she was specifically looking for “the child of light and shadow”.

That seems odd to me. The overlap between lore characters who are powerful druids and those who have golden eyes is, iirc, zero.

Likewise, why did empowering the Sunwell with Naaru energy cause the blood elves eyes to turn gold? And Xera doesn’t really seem to be talking about druidic potential in the quoted dialogue.

Didn’t seem to stop her from trying to convert Illidan, the half-demon who had sworn fealty to both Sargaras and Kiljaden and consumed the skull og Gul-dan. Keep in mind that she was specifically looking for “the child of light and shadow”.
    Illidan was never loyal to the Legion. In both the War of the Ancients and the Third War he ended up backstabbing them. For years he devised a plan to tear apart the Legion to save Azeroth. Azshara is nothing like Illidan.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-03-23 at 09:18 PM.

Illidan was never loyal to the Legion. In both the War of the Ancients and the Third War he ended up backstabbing them. For years he devised a plan to tear apart the Legion to save Azeroth. Azshara is nothing like Illidan.
    I have to respectfully disagree. While they are not identical, Azshara's relationship with the Old Gods seem to be very similar to Illidan's with the burning legion.

I have to respectfully disagree. While they are not identical, Azshara's relationship with the Old Gods seem to be very similar to Illidan's with the burning legion.
    No. Illidan always wanted to defeat the Legion to protect Azeroth. Azshara initially made a deal with N'Zoth because she wanted incredible power and the opportunity to rule the Black Empire as its queen. Then she backstabbed him because she has a god complex and doesn't want anyone to rule over her.

Azshara literally has no redeeming quality whatsoever. Have we been playing the same version of BfA?

7+ Year Old Account
    I hope not, she should've died and stayed dead. I'm sick of her.
    She is rotten to the core, nothing can save her or redeem her and if they even TRY to go that route with her, someone who has literally tried to destroy/subjugate the World in name of power on multiple occasions I will lose my mind
    Last edited by Evaddon; 2020-03-23 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    I doubt that.

they gave a big middle finger to that stuff because of backslash.
    Or like, that was actually the story they intended to write from the beginning? Shocker ikr?

OT: Don't think he will be the chosen one but she is definetely showing up in a few expansions to be our next Illidan/Bolvar (a.k.a anti-hero who plays it cool and leads us into a new dangerous place) which is totally fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Evaddon View Post
    I hope not, she should've died and stayed dead. I'm sick of her.
    She is rotten to the core, nothing can save her or redeem her and if they even TRY to go that route with her, someone who has literally tried to destroy/subjugate the World in name of power on multiple occasions I will lose my mind
    I seriously hope it is NOT a redemption story. We have already seen from Xera and Yrel that the light has a dark side (if you will pardon the pun), and if Azshara were a part of that I can't imagine she wouldn't also be a villain (or Illidan style anti-hero).

Personally I hope that the expansion after Shadowlands is a Light vs. Void themed expansion (likely set on the ruins of Kharesh) where neither side is portrayed as wholly good or wholly evil, with characters being able to choose their side in a manner similar to covenants. Of course, MMO's due tend to have problems reconciling the game play with more ambiguous story-lines, which is why faction conflict has never really worked as well as everyone working together to kill a common evil.

No. Illidan always wanted to defeat the Legion to protect Azeroth. Azshara initially made a deal with N'Zoth because she wanted incredible power and the opportunity to rule the Black Empire as its queen. Then she backstabbed him because she has a god complex and doesn't want anyone to rule over her.

Azshara literally has no redeeming quality whatsoever. Have we been playing the same version of BfA?
    Both Illidan and Azshara are egomaniacs who are willing to do evil things and feign loyalty to evil powers to accomplish their goals and at the end of the day think they are flat out better than everyone else.

Illidan's goals are more selfless than Azshara's, I will give you that, but he is still a fundamentally flawed character who thinks that he knows better than everyone else. He is often cast as a villain because he doesn't allow people to disagree with his plans, he often doesn't even tell people his plans, because he thinks he knows what is best for everyone, even when other people tell him it is recklessly or morally bankrupt.

Both of them used almost identical methods and achieved almost identical results, although their motivations differed slightly.

I seriously hope it is NOT a redemption story. We have already seen from Xera and Yrel that the light has a dark side (if you will pardon the pun), and if Azshara were a part of that I can't imagine she wouldn't also be a villain (or Illidan style anti-hero).

Personally I hope that the expansion after Shadowlands is a Light vs. Void themed expansion (likely set on the ruins of Kharesh) where neither side is portrayed as wholly good or wholly evil, with characters being able to choose their side in a manner similar to covenants. Of course, MMO's due tend to have problems reconciling the game play with more ambiguous story-lines, which is why faction conflict has never really worked as well as everyone working together to kill a common evil.

Both Illidan and Azshara are egomaniacs who are willing to do evil things and feign loyalty to evil powers to accomplish their goals and at the end of the day think they are flat out better than everyone else.

Illidan's goals are more selfless than Azshara's, I will give you that, but he is still a fundamentally flawed character who thinks that he knows better than everyone else. He is often cast as a villain because he doesn't allow people to disagree with his plans, he often doesn't even tell people his plans, because he thinks he knows what is best for everyone, even when other people tell him it is recklessly or morally bankrupt.

Both of them used almost identical methods and achieved almost identical results, although their motivations differed slightly.
    The difference being that Illidan wanted to protect Azeroth, whereas Azshara only wants power. Hint: that's why she wants to go that "seat of power". For Azshara, it's just power for power's sake to satisfy her massive ego and god complex.

Also No, they didn't use the same methods. Illidan never tried to literally conquer the world and plunge it back into the Black Empire days.

10+ Year Old Account

Now youve done it. You just wait till a certain windrunner becomes the new kerrigan.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)