View Poll Results: Wealthy people, actors, etc telling the rest to stay put, does it work?

Voters
34. This poll is closed
  • Yes it does. They have a voice and a platform and people will follow

8 23.53%
  • No it doesn't. Its easy to tell us to stay put while they dont have to worry financially

26 76.47%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Wealthy people, actors, etc telling the rest to stay put, does it work?

What do you think?

7+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry about whether a person is an actor or wealthy but instead consider their advice based on its own merit. Just think about whether the advice makes sense or not, and why.

-Update-

And yes it "works" when it comes to celebrities that people trust, but trust alone isn't a good reason to adopt a behaviour.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-03-23 at 10:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no. Even the damn governors of states can't make people stay put. Why would some rich asshole with no worries have any bigger impact?

10+ Year Old Account
    What, politicians, the police and medical institutions aren't enough?

Why would anyone ever care what a celebrity even says? They have the same medical knowledge as anyone else so there are much better people to pay attention to.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

"Go green, drop the car and use public transport!"

*Goes about in a private jet or Hummer*

Do as I say, not as I do (you plebian trash!) !

People listen to celebrities.

I have no idea why.

Millions of people have chosen to not vaccinate their children because Jenny McCarthy told them vaccines cause autism.

Yes, people listen to celebrities.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the message was more to the people who are going to beaches/parks in hordes then the people who still have to work.
    It’ll work for some but for others... Hell no

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I mean I'm not one shitting on celebrities who use their platforms for good unlike dipshits like Vanessa Hudgens, however yes, they do all seem a little tone deaf, that said, a lot of morons aren't going to listen no matter what.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

It's definitely time to eat some fried fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    When that same advice pretty much mirrors what the CDC recommends too, there's very little reason to complain about them speaking up.

If morons who otherwise wouldn't stay put does so as a result of that, all the better.

They are just putting a face and voice out there that has lots of follows and will see TV time to spread a message. I mean at least they aren't trying to convience you to trade the lives of the older population away for your 401k to go up a few percentages.

I very much doubt it. These people are not the ones fearing for their economic future.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    Considering how long "influencers" have been around? Yeah, I think it does work.

Of course it works. As in, it does have an effect and will cause some people to change their behavior.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Considering just how much adoration some sheepish folk have for the rich and famous, I'd say... yes? For some?

Just look at the whole craze with anti-vaxxers.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Don't worry about whether a person is an actor or wealthy but instead consider their advice based on its own merit. Just think about whether the advice makes sense or not, and why.

-Update-

And yes it "works" when it comes to celebrities that people trust, but trust alone isn't a good reason to adopt a behaviour.
    Except for politics. Almost all celebrities were anti trump. Look what happened. It's probably a good case study for someone to follow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Now is really the time for privet jet and not use public transportation.

But yes, people listen to famous people that tell bs for us commoners to follow, but they wouldnt dream about doing the same. But we all know that...

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Millions of people have chosen to not vaccinate their children because Jenny McCarthy told them vaccines cause autism.

Yes, people listen to celebrities.
    They listened to her instead of the dozens that said to vaccinate? That sounds like bullshit. It's more likely that people on both sides hold her up as a reason to validate their own beliefs.
    "I already new vaccines put bees in my teeth, Jenny is a truth seeker too"
    Or
    "Look how dum Jenny is. There have only been 4 cases of dental bees this year. She's dangerous just like those anti dental bee people in seattle. Vaccines save lives"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro