Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well...this is kinda why I always say "Beware of your wish that for example WoW goes F2P" - because that is just a smokescreen. Or as a guy (Art van Rheyn) once said: "Everything has a price, especially the things that are for free"

Philosophy lesson out of the way: Only you can decide if your hobby is too expensive - as many discussions about "Is the WoW sub fee too high" have shown.

The 300 Euros you mention are 1 Euro a day. That is like drinking 1 beer and just like Hearthstone that may go away so one beer does not make you drunk, you piss it away soon and the beer buzz goes away quickly.

People sometimes pay insane amounts of money for their hobbies. Model trains, stamp collections...whatever. There is no objective measure. For me, 300 Euros on HS would be too expensive. The money spend on WoW so far was not.
    The issue is bringing in new or players who have dabbled in it. Imagine if WoW was locked behind a 300 Euro paywall just to be remotely on the same playing field as everyone else.. would you still sub? Unlikely....

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Seems there are plenty of ppl here who enjoy HS without paying. And so could new players.

Guess your question should be more like "If me participating in the WoW Mythic World first race was behind a paywall"....and yeah...ppl pay that entry fee. (I wouldn't)

HS is "F2P" (and I told you what I think about F2P)...so really..don't cry about it if you come to the game (or any game) like..what? several year late and you want to be able to be eye to eye with the big guys from the get go.
    Consider it this way:

Come to the game "late" (not exactly a big selling feature if you want to attract new players). So you get your basic starting cards, plus a handful of welfare packs they toss at you out of pity. You look at your rank and think "well hell, Im rank 25, I dont need to worry about the tryhands, its a new season, they have better things to do"... then promptly get stomped down by Johnny Trihard match after match after match with cards you've never even seen or heard of, then look them up and find out they are from "x" expansion you had to pay to play, because MM doesnt take into account your cards. But go ahead, enjoy defending another horribly mismanaged game by Blizz, soon enough only you and your trihard buddies will be left playing it, coming to the forums whining about how long the ques are and why noone wants to play it anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    This question gets asked often. Hearthstone is really as expensive as you want it to be. They give away so much free stuff around expansion launches that you can make a couple decent decks to play on ranked or casual. Arena is less popular now, but you don't have to have any collection to play it and can play it for free just through dailies and the gold you win in arena.

Battlegrounds is completely free and when the expansion launches, you can get the season pass (unlocks emotes and more choices per game) for 2500 gold. While that is a sizable chunk of gold, you get 50-100 gold per daily, so it's something that can be saved up for.

They are also changing ranked structure and rewards. Now, you'll earn the rewards twice per league climb every month. Those rewards will be the usual card back, but also individual cards and packs. On top of that, they are changing packs to not give you any card you already have two of until after you get 2 of every card of that rarity. That means no more opening a pack to see 3 of the same common card unless you have EVERY common card or rare or epic. That makes every pack a better buy than before the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Many decks out there rely on having multiple legendaries, this holds true specially for Highlander decks in the current standard rotation. We also have to take into consideration that if you want to stay competitive then you need multiple decks. On top of that, cards get rotated out of standard. Every patch that brings new cards shifts the meta and you have to addapt, some decks become useless.

It's getting bar impossible for FP2 players to keep up. I tried crunching numbers and it seems currently unaffordable for me. This is considering that you get a (guaranteed) random Legendary after oppening 40 packs, and the 40 pack bundle costs 50€

My "dream" deck is a Quest/Plot Twist warlock with 6 Legendaries. Yes, I can substitute some of them, but after replacing 2-3 legendaries then the whole deck starts falling appart. To be able to craft this deck would require me to disenchant all of my legendaries, and even then I wouldn't have enough dust. So in order to get the 6 Legendaries, using the pitty timer, it would take 240 packs (300€) and they are all random.

Rastakhan's Rumble, The Boomsday Project, and The Witchwood sets are rotating out in around 3 months. It encourages you not to invest on decks right now.

Do you believe that Hearthstone is too expensive?

A nice addition would be to add the ability to trade cards so that it becomes easier to switch between decks. Even if they added a small transaction fee per trade, I bet many people would use such system.

I enjoy HS because you can play it when you have downtime on the go (commuting on the subway, etc). But playing 1-2 decks is starting to get monotonous. It's pushing me into Battlegrounds and Arena (not particularly fond of them)
    I love card games so I used to play HS a lot, but then magic arena came and for a while I played both. After some time I was getting really frustrated that I could never finish my decks on HS during the meta while I could easily have multiple top decks on Magic so I just stopped playing HS, I suggest you do the same. Now you even have Lor, and building decks there are as easy, if not easier than on magic arena so I really can't find a reason to play HS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Battlegrounds is completely free which most people are playing.
    don't worry they noticed how popular it is and decided to make it with money - i mean 'gold' soon
    i bet they regret making bg without a fee to enter like arena, they going to make heroes with gold heh...
    as for ppl who claim u can play for free and actually be top competitive, no u can't, unless u play hardcore daily to farm the 100 gold from wins (or at least most of time), not to mention u are lucky immune to nerfs that can ruin entire decks (and usually they don't even give u dust of cards)
    Blizz like to play stupid in that part, they nerf a card, allow u to dust it, and ignore that its entire deck is mostly dead, so u can dust one, but enjoy the 29 rest up ur a88
    The only thing that give me hope of improve hs is because there is serious competition in riot, the only company who is bigger than activision in gaming, so unless they change hearthstone and actually make it noob friendly they are f8cked (probably that's why after 5 years they introducing a new class, he is f8cked in wild but wild is broken decks anyway)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

I find HS to be fair in terms of price, with all free packs and other events you can build a decent collection only doing your quests, I'm already on 7k gold with only doing my quests and prob I can still do few hundreds by the time new expansion arrives, the only complain I have with HS is the disenchanting cost, they can fix the numbers a little there, seems that gaming community became very greedy nowadays and expect everything for free or they fell the gaming companies are their buddies

I think it's too expensive, because getting things with in game gold is so easy that I often wonder why would I want to pay real money for this.

If stuff coated less $ I would consider spending some cash on it here and there, but as it stands, I don't see it being worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    don't worry they noticed how popular it is and decided to make it with money - i mean 'gold' soon
    i bet they regret making bg without a fee to enter like arena, they going to make heroes with gold heh...
    as for ppl who claim u can play for free and actually be top competitive, no u can't, unless u play hardcore daily to farm the 100 gold from wins (or at least most of time), not to mention u are lucky immune to nerfs that can ruin entire decks (and usually they don't even give u dust of cards)
    Blizz like to play stupid in that part, they nerf a card, allow u to dust it, and ignore that its entire deck is mostly dead, so u can dust one, but enjoy the 29 rest up ur a88
    The only thing that give me hope of improve hs is because there is serious competition in riot, the only company who is bigger than activision in gaming, so unless they change hearthstone and actually make it noob friendly they are f8cked (probably that's why after 5 years they introducing a new class, he is f8cked in wild but wild is broken decks anyway)
    Legend of Runeterra is going straight to the way of Artifact and Gwent.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Legend of Runeterra is going straight to the way of Artifact and Gwent.
    Exactly, and it already is. Nobody cares about that game right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    First hearthstone season was balanced and fun to play. Then they added legendaries and enabled p2w. Everything that came after is a boomerwhale butchery and design to pay. There is no real way too grind gold. It is limited to 3 daily quests. Super cheap and everyone that does not see, is clearly gotten used to being used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    First hearthstone season was balanced and fun to play. Then they added legendaries and enabled p2w. Everything that came after is a boomerwhale butchery and design to pay. There is no real way too grind gold. It is limited to 3 daily quests. Super cheap and everyone that does not see, is clearly gotten used to being used.
    game was fine until gnome v.s. goblins came out. then balance went right out the window.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I think a big problem is that Legendaries are a deal breaker. They should shift the power down.

Specially now, with the highlander decks. How many Legendaries does an avarage highlander deck run?

I know you aren't forced to craft fancy decks with leet legendaries. But if you go into constructed with cheap decks, don't expect to get that far (for the avarage player anyway)

I think a big problem is that Legendaries are a deal breaker. They should shift the power down.

Specially now, with the highlander decks. How many Legendaries does an avarage highlander deck run?

I know you aren't forced to craft fancy decks with leet legendaries. But if you go into constructed with cheap decks, don't expect to get that far (for the avarage player anyway)
    Cheap decks are usually on top because they tend to be aggressive decks.

"the average player shouldnt expect to be anything except average"

thanks captain obvious

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    "the average player shouldnt expect to be anything except average"

thanks captain obvious
    Avarage player with expensive deck ranks higher than avarage player with cheap deck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    game was fine until gnome v.s. goblins came out. then balance went right out the window.
    No, The first layer of Legendaries behind a paywall was the game ripper. gnome vs goblin simply followed that route

Avarage player with expensive deck ranks higher than avarage player with cheap deck.
    As I said earlier many of the top decks are the cheaper ones. You are making it sound like full legendary deck is the best deck. It's more often than not a cheap face hunter deck that is good.

When I compared it to MtG, I thought it was cheap. But now that I'm comparing it to single player games, it feels expensive.

I stopped HS for several reasons, one of these is money. F2P? Not really if you want to climb the ladder.

Now I don't get why I started in the first place, I dislike this game.
    Last edited by Aleax; 2020-04-08 at 04:16 AM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    It's come to be targeted at people who can afford it, playing totally for free now is not fun at all in any way shape or form.