Page 1 of 3
LastLast

cannot push 8700k past 4.7

Hi, just a quick question - managed to snatch an 8700k and i was trying to OC it and see how far i can go with it.

Previously i had an 8600k that i managed to push easily to 5GHz at 1.275v with my Strix Z370-F.

As title says, i cannot go past 4.7/1.275v, even setting 4.8 means nearly istant crash with prime95, tried increasing voltage but keeping 4.7 and the same happens. Already upgraded/reset BIOS, and clean windows install.

Any suggestions or it's a botched/bad CPU? It's fine for what i do as it is, but i wanted to know if i'm doing something wrong at this point, because it's strange it goes up easily to Turb clocks, but not over it.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    it's strange it goes up easily to Turb clocks, but not over it.
    You certain its a K?

10+ Year Old Account
    Try setting the voltage to 1.4 and see if you can go above 4.7 then (just don't keep it at 1.4v all the time). Sometimes they just need a bit of encouragemen.

That said, it's possible you just got a bottom of the barrel cpu that can't overclock worth shit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    You certain its a K?
    The non-k has lower boost and can't be oc'd at all

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    You certain its a K?
    Yep. IHS checked and didn't look it was delidded (or they did a really good job at resealing it) Here's a BIOS pic but i don't know if you can tamper with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Try setting the voltage to 1.4 and see if you can go above 4.7 then (just don't keep it at 1.4v all the time). Sometimes they just need a bit of encouragemen.

That said, it's possible you just got a bottom of the barrel cpu that can't overclock worth shit
    That's my fear. i'll try now and see what happens. Ideally i wanted to stay around 1.3v.

EDIT: running now 4.8 @1.4v and launched Prime95, seems running but temps are around the 90°Cand climbing mark which is not ideal at all but it's a) high voltage and b) i have a 240 AIO and fan curve isn't aggressive at all. It's not a real world scenario.

I'll leave it going for a while, then try to drop down the voltage and increase the clock and see if i can manage to get to 5ghz stable.

EDIT2: 5ghz crashes immediately i start the stress test even at 1.4v. I'll just call it a day and stay with the lower speed. This time i've been unlucky with the silicon lottery (guy that sold me this never OCd and sold it because he went with a 9900k).
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2020-03-24 at 06:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's my fear. i'll try now and see what happens. Ideally i wanted to stay around 1.3v.

EDIT: running now 4.8 @1.4v and launched Prime95, seems running but temps are around the 90°Cand climbing mark which is not ideal at all but it's a) high voltage and b) i have a 240 AIO and fan curve isn't aggressive at all. It's not a real world scenario.

I'll leave it going for a while, then try to drop down the voltage and increase the clock and see if i can manage to get to 5ghz stable.

EDIT2: 5ghz crashes immediately i start the stress test even at 1.4v. I'll just call it a day and stay with the lower speed. This time i've been unlucky with the silicon lottery (guy that sold me this never OCd and sold it because he went with a 9900k).
    If it runs at 1.4v but not 1.275 it means it can, but you're just been monumentally unlucky in your silicon.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    If it runs at 1.4v but not 1.275 it means it can, but you're just been monumentally unlucky in your silicon.
    Apparently that's the case. Oh well, CPU works so i cannot complain. It's not like they're guaranteed to OC. Plus i get sub-60 temps while gaming and pc is quiet.

Apparently that's the case. Oh well, CPU works so i cannot complain. It's not like they're guaranteed to OC. Plus i get sub-60 temps while gaming and pc is quiet.
    The 8700k in my secondary PC took 1.36v to hit 4.8ghz with no AVX Offset. Takes 1.32v at 4.7ghz. I delidded, put liquid metal on it and resealed it. Only real way to get manageable temps at higher voltages.

My 8086k takes 1.36v for 5.0ghz.

Luck of the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
    The 8700k in my secondary PC took 1.36v to hit 4.8ghz with no AVX Offset. Takes 1.32v at 4.7ghz. I delidded, put liquid metal on it and resealed it. Only real way to get manageable temps at higher voltages.

My 8086k takes 1.36v for 5.0ghz.

Luck of the draw.
    Not really luck when it comes to 8086k's. Those are binned.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Not really luck when it comes to 8086k's. Those are binned.
    You’d assume so but there’s still luck involved. Some can do 5.0 at 1.3v others take between there and 1.4. Pretty much all can do 5.0 at 1.4 at least according to statistics.

You’d assume so but there’s still luck involved. Some can do 5.0 at 1.3v others take between there and 1.4. Pretty much all can do 5.0 at 1.4 at least according to statistics.
    Or 1.2, yea. Never seen a 8086K that can't do 5 GHz tho.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Yep. IHS checked and didn't look it was delidded (or they did a really good job at resealing it) Here's a BIOS pic but i don't know if you can tamper with that.

- - - Updated - - -

dude your gonna fry your computer.. as a moderator i think your stupid for doing so.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Quote Originally Posted by Proper Ninja View Post
    dude your gonna fry your computer.. as a moderator i think your stupid for doing so.
    That's cringy AF right there. Dont post stuff like that, it hurts.

for what its worth, my 8700k is just a retail boxed unit, nothing special. It does 5ghz prime95 128k FFT stable at 1.46v set (1.38v under load) and approx 85C delidded. 7th-9th gen is pretty robust as far as vcore goes, as long as you keep it cool. It's also fine at 5.2ghz at 1.42v for day to day operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    for what its worth, my 8700k is just a retail boxed unit, nothing special. It does 5ghz prime95 128k FFT stable at 1.46v set (1.38v under load) and approx 85C delidded. 7th-9th gen is pretty robust as far as vcore goes, as long as you keep it cool. It's also fine at 5.2ghz at 1.42v for day to day operation.
    Those voltages are not safe for 24/7.

Apparently mine can't until mobo has issue in dealing with that not much of an issue, i was just trying to make sure it wasn't botched.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    That's a lot of current. Even if it's cool enough you'll still be (potentially) damaging the delicate circuitry inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Proper Ninja View Post
    not sure what being a moderator of a computer section on a wow forum has anything to do with knowing limits of 8th gen intels. The 8700k can take 1.45v all day everyday, in fact the default 5ghz OC profiles in most performance motherboards start at 1.41v

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaShift View Post
    not sure what being a moderator of a computer section on a wow forum has anything to do with knowing limits of 8th gen intels. The 8700k can take 1.45v all day everyday, in fact the default 5ghz OC profiles in most performance motherboards start at 1.41v
    Default OC profiles should never be used, are crap and unsafe. And yes, anything above 1.4v is unsafe for 24/7.

I don't have the hardware at hands, but i'd really like to try and see if on another mobo the cpu can push higher than the stock turbo. Right now i'm using it stock because it doesn't make any sense to "OC" to the stock speeds.

Silicon lotto is a real thing. You usually only hear about the lucky ones on the top end and how people can or cannot reach them. But the other side is sometimes just able to reach at or slightly above advertised speeds.

It has gotten better since Intel has basically been on the same process now for a long long time but it is an problem when one of your products selling point is how far can you push something passed spec instead of pushing new specs.