Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    actually the industry hit a new high in 2018 and only had a slight dip in 2017

https://www.comichron.com/yearlycomi...ustrywide.html
    You got any Marvel specific links or just general? Because, you know this thread is about marvel, and your link doesn't really prove anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    It gets worse........
    I just don't know who their audience is for this type of stuff. Children would rather have younger related material. Adults are going to laugh at it. This is what they think will get people, while DC makes up a Punchline and people go apeshit.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    You got any Marvel specific links or just general? Because, you know this thread is about marvel, and your link doesn't really prove anything.
    Your comment was about the industry and how it was in decline and marvel was causing it to decline further, the industry isn’t in decline thus the second part can’t be true either.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Even if they were given stock they absolutely could not sell for any reason...they still do not have to store it. They could just give it away. Half the time that's the reason why they do overshipments anyway...free promotions.

And it's not even something they do all that often

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03...vel-overships/

The characters in those overshipped comics?

Daredevil, Captain America, Wolverine, and Spider-Man.

Not exactly the bottom of the barrel.
    Captain America and Daredevil are not popular comics. Capt especially after Spencer slaughtered it last year. Wolverine was dead until Fox sold the movie rights back to marvel. The only popular one of those is Spiderman who is like batman and has multiple titles as to over saturate. So yeah give them a popular one and overship extras of ones you want them to buy later. Everybody loved the endgame movie. The problem is, without Captain America and Iron Man in movies, how do they commercialize them now?

- - - Updated - - -

Your comment was about the industry and how it was in decline and marvel was causing it to decline further, the industry isn’t in decline thus the second part can’t be true either.
    My bad, I should have specified just marvel, in the marvel thread. But Marvel isn't the biggest seller of graphic novels which is the leading seller in the link you provided. They are not even second. There was a steep decline in adult media and an increase in children's materials...the top 6 spots on graphic novels for the year you posted was Dog Man. The top 6 spots were a children's comic created by the same guy who created Captain Underpants. The only reason marvel was ahead of DC in 2018 was because of the $500 infinity war box set that came out with the movie. There isn't another one of those coming. But you keep on trucking with the industry isn't dying by being overtaken with children's books. Dog Man better watch out for Children of the Atom and the New Warriors....rofl I can't believe I typed that without laughing.

7+ Year Old Account
    My bad, I should have specified just marvel, in the marvel thread. But Marvel isn't the biggest seller of graphic novels which is the leading seller in the link you provided. They are not even second. There was a steep decline in adult media and an increase in children's materials...the top 6 spots on graphic novels for the year you posted was Dog Man. The top 6 spots were a children's comic created by the same guy who created Captain Underpants. The only reason marvel was ahead of DC in 2018 was because of the $500 infinity war box set that came out with the movie. There isn't another one of those coming. But you keep on trucking with the industry isn't dying by being overtaken with children's books. Dog Man better watch out for Children of the Atom and the New Warriors....rofl I can't believe I typed that without laughing.
    If you don’t want to talk about any thing other then marvel then don’t bring up the industry. Marvel also doesn’t need to be the leading seller nor do comics in general need to be at the top of the list as long as sales are still up, do you not know what declining/dying means?
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-03-24 at 07:27 AM.

Captain America and Daredevil are not popular comics. Capt especially after Spencer slaughtered it last year. Wolverine was dead until Fox sold the movie rights back to marvel. The only popular one of those is Spiderman who is like batman and has multiple titles as to over saturate. So yeah give them a popular one and overship extras of ones you want them to buy later. Everybody loved the endgame movie. The problem is, without Captain America and Iron Man in movies, how do they commercialize them now?
    Those 3 issues I listed were all in the top 50 comics for that month. Not Marvel's top sellers no...but still nowhere near the bottom of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Even if they were given stock they absolutely could not sell for any reason...they still do not have to store it. They could just give it away. Half the time that's the reason why they do overshipments anyway...free promotions.

And it's not even something they do all that often

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03...vel-overships/

The characters in those overshipped comics?

Daredevil, Captain America, Wolverine, and Spider-Man.

Not exactly the bottom of the barrel.
    My point was it inflates their (Marvels) sales figures (which you handily left out the quote btw) on the sales charts. Your point does not counter that, in fact I'm not sure what your point is, unless you think its a good idea for a company to off-load their over-stock on to the retailers, make them pay the shipping then tell them its non-returnable.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    My point was it inflates their (Marvels) sales figures (which you handily left out the quote btw) on the sales charts. Your point does not counter that, in fact I'm not sure what your point is, unless you think its a good idea for a company to off-load their over-stock on to the retailers, make them pay the shipping then tell them its non-returnable.
    a) the extra shipping charge is minimal.
    b) the sales are of those extra books are 100% profit which easily offsets the extra shipping.
    c) it's done so rarely that it doesn't actually make a big difference statistically (which is quoted).
    d) the comic stores are told in advance which titles will be overshipped..so if they really think they'll be stuck with dead product...they can order less.
    e) it is not "over-stock".

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm dying. This is the funniest most insane shit I've ever seen. Marvel has gone full soy.

I agree with daemos the new x-men seem fine.

theyre teens meant to be from gen z and they have a tik tok and reddit and cosplay... all things teenage gen z's tend to have

sure i get the complaint about their powers being similar/the same might be "lazy" but its not exactly unusual for side kicks to have similar or the exact same powers as their mentors.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

theyre teens meant to be from gen z and they have a tik tok and reddit and cosplay... all things teenage gen z's tend to have

sure i get the complaint about their powers being similar/the same might be "lazy" but its not exactly unusual for side kicks to have similar or the exact same powers as their mentors.
    I think the Children of the Atom ones look much better so props to the artist who designed them but making them popular kids with popular powers just to appeal to teens is dumb imo. They should have stuck with being outcasts/treated differently. A real outcast would be like a mutant who killed their self due to online bulling and became a living/partial ghost or some shit.

Good that marvels have alot of material to take from before we see safespace the movie

If you don’t want to talk about any thing other then marvel then don’t bring up the industry. Marvel also doesn’t need to be the leading seller nor do comics in general need to be at the top of the list as long as sales are still up, do you not know what declining/dying means?
    Make up your mind. You say don't bring up the industry and then add more to the industry conversation. However, in the link you provided it said that adult graphic novels(the leading comic format) are declining, hence marvel graphic novels are also declining. Either topic you want to argue about, the adult sales are declining. I was stating that Marvel is hardly ever in the top of any comic sales or graphic novel sales. Batman always dominates, and up until it ended, the Walking Dead(image) was a juggernaut. They sent out trials of comics without the lead heroes to see if they would sell well without the main heroes from the movies. They did not.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. It's pandering. Just like rebranding the heroes with different races/genders. I don't think it's going to work. Some teenager is not going to log on to reddit and post paragraphs about his favorite super hero being the one who posts on reddit. You should just include the stuff, let it grow naturally. This seems forced and will get more people to not read specifically because it is pandering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Good that marvels have alot of material to take from before we see safespace the movie
    I am going to bet they already have a team working on mock ups and stuff for a movie in the event this actually took off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    It gets worse........
    Again just gives me a vibe of an out of touch company trying to attract an audience that doesn't want their product, but they can only view that audience from tweets or something. No real integration of comic genre, just "this is popular with the kids, right!" style.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

I am going to bet they already have a team working on mock ups and stuff for a movie in the event this actually took off.[/QUOTE]

Oh God, that might be true and what a waste of money. Who approved all of this from the start he will have a hard life if he wasnt rich and connected... so he be fine...

Its like ford started to market for homeless people, dont they get it they wont buy a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Again just gives me a vibe of an out of touch company trying to attract an audience that doesn't want their product, but they can only view that audience from tweets or something. No real integration of comic genre, just "this is popular with the kids, right!" style.
    I remember the character of Nightthrasher in the original New Warriors. He was such a hard ass...I can so easily see him kicking the shit out of these new kids, and for no other reason than to teach them a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    I think the Children of the Atom ones look much better so props to the artist who designed them but making them popular kids with popular powers just to appeal to teens is dumb imo. They should have stuck with being outcasts/treated differently. A real outcast would be like a mutant who killed their self due to online bulling and became a living/partial ghost or some shit.
    idk i think the author has a point. they didnt say EVERYONE would like these new younger heroes (talking in universe not irl) but that if zoomers lived in a universe like 616 they probably wouldnt be as prejudice towards mutants or see people with powers as a bad thing per se

if the thing about young heroes being outlawed/forced to be mentored by older heroes stays consistent then that isnt unrealistic at all to me.

it also reminds me of spider-man and his early years where younger people like flash thought spider-man was cool and went against the societal norm and media (jj) calling him a menace or reckless

- - - Updated - - -

Make up your mind. You say don't bring up the industry and then add more to the industry conversation. However, in the link you provided it said that adult graphic novels(the leading comic format) are declining, hence marvel graphic novels are also declining. Either topic you want to argue about, the adult sales are declining. I was stating that Marvel is hardly ever in the top of any comic sales or graphic novel sales. Batman always dominates, and up until it ended, the Walking Dead(image) was a juggernaut. They sent out trials of comics without the lead heroes to see if they would sell well without the main heroes from the movies. They did not.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. It's pandering. Just like rebranding the heroes with different races/genders. I don't think it's going to work. Some teenager is not going to log on to reddit and post paragraphs about his favorite super hero being the one who posts on reddit. You should just include the stuff, let it grow naturally. This seems forced and will get more people to not read specifically because it is pandering.

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to bet they already have a team working on mock ups and stuff for a movie in the event this actually took off.
    the way the writer put it forth in the trailer imo was that these are teenage heroes doing teenager things. i see little difference between these heroes and the kamala khans and miles morales's of other books at least from the initial trailer for them.

i dont see the big deal in mentioning they use platforms and other things teenagers would do and its a far cry from the new warriors where it looked completely hamfisted and out of touch from the actual demographic it was meant for.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

7+ Year Old Account
    Make up your mind. You say don't bring up the industry and then add more to the industry conversation. However, in the link you provided it said that adult graphic novels(the leading comic format) are declining, hence marvel graphic novels are also declining. Either topic you want to argue about, the adult sales are declining.
    If YOU want to stick to solely marvel do so i have no problem talking about the industry as a whole and even less so when your the one who brought it up.

I also don't know if you didn't read the link or are just making stuff up, no where does it say adult graphic novels are declining all it says is that kids was the largest growth but comic sales (floppies) were also up.
    Sales in the book channel, which includes chain bookstores, mass merchants, major online retailers, and Scholastic Book Fairs, were up by double digits, with sales of kids graphic novels the biggest factor. Digital sales were also up for the first time in several years, with increased title counts across multiple platforms a factor. Sales in comic stores were down very slightly versus the previous year.

Sales of all three formats, comics, graphic novels, and digital, grew in 2018, with graphic novels leading the way, followed at some distance by digital and comics.
    I was stating that Marvel is hardly ever in the top of any comic sales or graphic novel sales. Batman always dominates, and up until it ended, the Walking Dead(image) was a juggernaut. They sent out trials of comics without the lead heroes to see if they would sell well without the main heroes from the movies. They did not
    Marvel is regularly sitting in the top 10 or even top 5 so i don't know if you think that doesn't count as the top sales or what.

going off of 2018 as its what we have the yearly date for.

December
    6 Amazing Spider-Man
    7 Fantastic Four
    8 Amazing Spider-Man

November
    1 Uncanny X-Men
    3 Web of Venom Carnage Born
    4 Amazing Spider-Man
    7 Amazing Spider-Man
    9 Avengers
    10 Venom

October
    3 Spider-Geddon
    5 Spider-Gwen Ghost-Spider
    7 Venom
    9 Amazing Spider-Man
    10 Amazing Spider-Man

mabye you want to say all of this is marvel fudging the numbers but you'd need something to back that up before id believe it.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-03-24 at 09:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Yea I am fine with the X-Men team... ITs basically Generation X for this generation the only issue I have is Generation X while tried to cater towards the late Gen X early millennial demo at least had their own uniqueness about them.. These 'sidekick' X-Men as I am labeling them look like just that, sidekicks. Hopefully they develop their own identities over time.

Also speaking of younger X-Men, what happened to the young X-Men from the mid 2000's why is no one focusing on that team? That mid 2000's X-Men era was quite enjoyable outsid eof the main comics, X-Factor, X-Force and New X-Men (Academy X) was awesome. And a lot better than the main X titles at the time

This New X-Men in particular made my favourite X-team and got me invested in X-Men again. I think this came about in 2004, maybe 2005?

That team that was build around the Children's End (post House of M) storyline and have been utterly wasted. Surge, Gentle, Elixir, Prodigy, Dust, Mercy, Rockslide, Anole, Hellion, Pixie, only X-23 really came out of that with something

One gripe I'll always have with X-Men is its roster is too large. they keep trying to add new roster members and then as time goes on they forget they exist. There are probably like over 30 X-Men in a proverbial bin somewhere gathering dust waiting to be used. which sucks becuase for new readers to try and get invested in new heroes only for them to be gone in time.

I know with this new X-Men book Marvel wanna tap into that Zoomer generation and thats fine, I was in position when Generation X came about. And while Generation X started well it also started to really fall apart post Operation: Zero Tolerance.

I know Hickmans X-Men run is getting a lot of praise right now, but like Bendis, I am just not a fan of his writing. And am not currently collecting X-Men because of it. And that's sucks, because I love X-Men. X-Men as a comic helped me a lot growing up and I'll always be a fan deep down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I'm dying. This is the funniest most insane shit I've ever seen. Marvel has gone full soy.

It's corporate pandering, from middle aged white men who think they know what diversity is. Marvel need to hire more diverse writers or run it by the people they are trying to appeal to. I am not sure how this got off the cutting room floor.
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-03-25 at 01:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    It's corporate pandering, from middle aged white men who think they know what diversity is. Marvel need to hire more diverse writers or run it by the people they are trying to appeal to. I am not sure how this got off the cutting room floor.
    As a nearing middle-aged white man I find that offensive, going full soy loses your white-man card. Those are .. something entirely different.

Possibly even alien.

Its hilarious to see this 'demographic' that doesn't actually exist in real life outside of a vocal minority of literally insane kids and media puppets. Its like in real life, no one actually gets triggered like they do on twitter. The girl screaming at the sky over trump, etc. does not actually happen genuinely lol.

I work with a lot of hs teens and they all seem pretty normal to me, it even seems like the emo fad died out. Kids today are much more open minded and less bullied. There's less retarded shit than when I was a kid wearing parachute pants acting like a gangster or trying to look like eminem bleaching my hair or seeing emo girls everywhere.

I say this demographic is all made up on the social media platforms, like who the FUCK actually uses they/them and knows lots of tranny and gay/non-binary IRL bc they are soooo common aye? lol (never met one of these martians myself that call themselves non binary)

No one is such a pussy they need safe spaces unless you have severe psychological issues and in that case should be seeking professional help not a 'safe space'.

No idea what internet gas is but it must be what the media has been sniffing Lol. I may be in a state that hasn't been affected by the cuckery yet though.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2020-03-25 at 04:50 AM.