Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Yes it's shitty... yes it's boring... is it worth it? Apparently so for the vast number of people that have unlocked Allied races across two expansions. Whining that you want it now makes you an entitled brat... saying I did it so you should too makes you pretentious asshole. Neither side is right... it just is what it is. Do it, don't do it. It's unlikely to change beyond making the rep grind slightly faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    I was 100% certain they would make the "Legion" allied races available to everyone with BfA or at least the first content patch of BfA.

I was wrong, so I don't assume they will change their stance anytime soon.

It's much less an issue for people playing anyway, the vast majority of players will have unlocked the races just by playing the game.

But if a player wanted to return because he would like to play a Vulpera for example, but then learns that he has to level (or boost) another char first, do dailies for over a month and then spend money or reset the whole progression by leveling a new char is just plain silly and will drive those players quickly away.
    good riddance

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    I don't think this applies here. This would rather apply to people who are indeed currently playing and want to remove the effort.

For new players it's completely different, and the new races are one of the few selling points BfA has in the first place.
    They could for example after unlocking your first allied race offer the option for a free race change to that race. This would keep the "exclusiveness" of the race and not drive away the returning people.
    there's noone that has been playing bfa for more than a month that isn't exalted with all the "home" factions. Do tourists deserve loyalty rewards? mmm

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    I never had to unlock an allied race because by playing the game I meet the requirements before they are introduced.

But there are things I wanted that required various reps, quest lines, secret chains or achievements, such as the "Captain" title from WoD, the Lucid Nightmare from Legion, the rainbow toy, the crab mount from Nazjatar or the farmers tools from the garrison... Instead of crying on the forums I do the things.

DH and DK were also advertised as expansion features but you have to have a character of certain level to unlock them first.

I understand complaining of class or systems design, but crying that to get things you have to play the game is just sad.
    DK and DH are different. You unlock them at the level they start. Unlike AR, where you unlock them and then have to start the game over again. If DH or DK were freely available they would start at level 1. There is little difference between leveling a character to level 55 and then switch to a level 55 DK or leveling a DK right from level 1.
    But there's a huge difference between leveling a character to max level, grinding rep on that character to unlock an AR, then leveling a toon of said AR from level 20 (which saves like 2 hours compared to level 1) to max level. And then you don't even have the rep you already grinded on your new toon.
    For DH's it's also a different story: Legion came with a character boost. So to play a DH you could just use your boost to level 100 and you've unlocked the DH. So DH's have no real prerequisite. So yeah. Your sad excuse for Blizzard's timegate mechanics does not hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    When will old school legendaries be unlocked without having to build them for wait for them from horrible drop rates?
    The ignorance in this comment is just amazing. Comparing legendaries and items in general with playable races is just ridiculous.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I boosted a horde to 120, started working on the reps and completely lost interest around honored. I'm just not going to have those races, and that's alright. Horde has never really been my thing anyway.
    Same here, but that is sad and not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Yes it's shitty... yes it's boring... is it worth it? Apparently so for the vast number of people that have unlocked Allied races across two expansions. Whining that you want it now makes you an entitled brat... saying I did it so you should too makes you pretentious asshole. Neither side is right... it just is what it is. Do it, don't do it. It's unlikely to change beyond making the rep grind slightly faster.
    You do have a good point here, however I do understand OP and why he's asking that.

I've unlocked all the Allied Races and thus did all the rep grinds, while it was all current content and that was kinda fine, even though it meant that I was playing a race/class I didn't want to play for a while and then only after doing all the content and farming rep for week I could finally play what I actually wanted to in the first place.

However all this is really really gonna suck for everyone once the new expansion comes out, because many people will have to do old and irrelevant content for a while just for that. Grinding all that Argus rep and then unlocking Void Elfs as a bonus was fine back in Legion, but in BfA it is a terrible experience for anyone who wants to catch up and it is only gonna get worse in Shadowlands when returning players will start farming BfA rep. Fortunately though, Blizzard has massively buffed the rep gains for any Legion faction several times, so it's not as bad and apparently it can all be done in like 2 weeks... but if they don't do it for BfA, that will really suck, especially since, unlike the Legion races, they've added 3 pretty unique looking races (vulpera, zandalari trolls and KT humans) + you either have to faction change twice or do the grinds with both an alliance and horde character.

Ok, after reconsidering a little bit I would like to add:

Allied Races are actually something really bad to put behind an achievement. Not because it takes people time and "effort" to do it but because you literally have to play a character that you do not want to play until you unlock the ability to play the character you want to play, losing all progress on the old character.

Even if you say "Well, I will just play this tauren warrior and race change him to Vulpera once I unlocked it for 20 Bucks" you miss out on the heritage armor and have to level ANOTHER character you do not want to play just for that. In my opinion you should not have to play character B to get a reward for character A.

So yeah, the system is actually very, very flawed and the unlocked process makes no sense at all.

Just to make this clear: I have no problem with rewards being locked behind a grind (not even a time gated grind if it is not for power progression). It just makes no sense in this case.

Im all for grinding for allied races, but I think once we moved into BFA, Legions ones should have unlocked with no restrictions, the same should happen with SL
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    Same here, but that is sad and not needed.
    What's 'not needed'? My comment about horde not being my thing? It wasn't a slight toward them, I'm just an alliance player and have been since vanilla. Gnomes and Draenei are my favorite races in the game.

Or did you mean something else?
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-03-24 at 01:43 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    What's 'not needed'? My comment about horde not being my thing? It wasn't a slight toward them, I'm just an alliance player and have been since vanilla. Gnomes and Draenei are my favorite races in the game.
    No that you gave up on the fuzz but it seems you would like to play a Vulpera, even if just for lolz.
    They should just make it possible to unlock them more easy.
    I have them all unlocked execpt Vulpera (im also Alliance).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    DK and DH are different. You unlock them at the level they start. Unlike AR, where you unlock them and then have to start the game over again. If DH or DK were freely available they would start at level 1. There is little difference between leveling a character to level 55 and then switch to a level 55 DK or leveling a DK right from level 1.
    But there's a huge difference between leveling a character to max level, grinding rep on that character to unlock an AR, then leveling a toon of said AR from level 20 (which saves like 2 hours compared to level 1) to max level. And then you don't even have the rep you already grinded on your new toon.
    For DH's it's also a different story: Legion came with a character boost. So to play a DH you could just use your boost to level 100 and you've unlocked the DH. So DH's have no real prerequisite. So yeah. Your sad excuse for Blizzard's timegate mechanics does not hold up.
    And SL comes up with a free 120 boost, which you could use to instantly get to work on not only Legion's allied races but BFA's as well. So part of your argument doesn't really hold up either.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

No that you gave up on the fuzz but it seems you would like to play a Vulpera, even if just for lolz.
    getting exalted with voldunai is already extremely easy
    maybe you should just do that

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I see!

Yeah I'd like to make a Vulpera, not just for the lolz but because I like scrappy 'outside the box' characters. Part of why I love gnomes so much is their inquisitive nature and penchant for building things, and Vulpera have a neat desert-dweller/survivalist kind of thing going on. And their racials sound really fun.

There is a kind of way to shortcut the rep stuff - faction changing an alliance toon with all the BFA reps at exalted to horde, would give me the horde reps at exalted. But I'd still have to do all their quests and such, and I'm not sure I can justify spending $30 (60 if I want to change the toon back) just to get a shortcut on the rep.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kehego View Post
    getting exalted with voldunai is already extremely easy
    maybe you should just do that
    I got to honored easily enough. But then there was like, a window of around 6 days where there were no Voldunai emissaries and I just lost interest in it.

Oh I see!

Yeah I'd like to make a Vulpera, not just for the lolz but because I like scrappy 'outside the box' characters. Part of why I love gnomes so much is their inquisitive nature and penchant for building things, and Vulpera have a neat desert-dweller/survivalist kind of thing going on. And their racials sound really fun.

There is a kind of way to shortcut the rep stuff - faction changing an alliance toon with all the BFA reps at exalted to horde, would give me the horde reps at exalted. But I'd still have to do all their quests and such, and I'm not sure I can justify spending $30 (60 if I want to change the toon back) just to get a shortcut on the rep.

- - - Updated - - -

I got to honored easily enough. But then there was like, a window of around 6 days where there were no Voldunai emissaries and I just lost interest in it.
    there's an alliance parallel so all you have to do is switch when the alliance version comes up.

3+ Year Old Account
    Never. /10chars

unlocking races is easy, what sucks more is unlocking flying which will be useless soon (and two reps you need on revered are useless NOW).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

5+ Year Old Account
    Having unlocked every allied race so far myself, I think that the biggest issue is that some of the grinds are very skewed an easy to get, while others take a long while. For example, I started Honorbound and Zandalari at the same time, but Honorbound was way easier to complete due to having multiple avenues of getting rep whereas Zandalari rep is only in Zuldazar.

I think a good idea is to make contracts for reps that have allied races give a bonus of 50-100 rep, that way players who have the time and desire to unlock the races as soon as possible have the option to do every WQ on the map if they want.

Allied races with this solution will still maintain the idea of 'if someone is playing this race its because they put in the time', and they also don't turn into just not playing the game till emissaries are up.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Legion is recent content, and BfA is current content, so I don't see Allied Races from either expansion being made easier to get any time soon.

In SL Legion should become old enough that it features in Time-Walking, and that will make it possible to massively cheese the rep grind, assuming they implement Legion Time-Walking the same way as other Time-Walking, because if you've got a few thousand of the tokens (given you get 500/character, that's easy to get), you can simply buy enough to go from neutral to Exalted (I've done it before). Best way to gather them is the older Time-Walking if you've got quite a few alts, they're character-bound.

BfA won't do that until 10.X, so that's a long way out, and there's less hope based on history there. The main issue for BfA is reputation. It's possible to get in a month or two of Emissaries, but that does require quite a lot of remembering to do them and a degree of luck and possibly doing all the zone quests as well (where applicable).

Personally what I'd like to see if "rep holidays" a bit like Time-Walking, which applied to previous expansions, and doubled rep gain from those expansions for that period. If they lasted a couple of weeks, that could be pretty cool.

Unlikely to happen. They should add in something so you can work towards different ones doing current content. Having races unlocked with an expansion requiring rep from previous ones is a bad set up. I know my brother in law came back to play the new races added for BfA only to find out they required Legion rep to play and even worse for him he plays Alliance so he had to go and grind Argus and deal with old content giving little xp and no rewards beyond rep he needed so he could than make a new character. It is a poor design.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I think it is fine as it is. Not everything needs to be gifted without anything done. Yes it would be good for many people but still. The huge amount of gifted stuff in this game is more than enough.

Some stuff needs to be worked for.