Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Same here, died more to pitfalls than to demons. Timing on some platforms is weird even with double dash. Tho that mario spining ball of fire was a nice touch.

I kinda gave up at switching weapon mods and just went with best options. Had to keybind all the cooldowns to mouse buttons (frost grenate, chainsaw, punch, flamethrower) as you realy dont have the time to press buttons on other side of keyboard when holding WSAD).

Seek and Destroy and Blood Fueled + Air Control are kinda must runes. Chrono Strike is kinda cheat tho.
    yeah, the jumps of the maykr/makyr world(idk their name) are kind poorly made and not beta tested enought, i kinda never used the autoshotgun upgrade or the micromissiles for example grenade shotgun was fairly superior and a must have for cacodemons until you get the ballista, and bullets are better used on the minigun later in the game aside from some spiderturret sniping. plasmagun was my workhorse with the overheat upgrade, one of the most useful weapons in the game. Chrono rune is cheat i agree i never used it after unlocking it because its ridiculously overpowered, only needed it on the khan maykr boss fight for easy add sniping for must needed heal(a boss harder than the last one btw, that one was easy as fuck and kinda disappointing on difficulty)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    You're probably playing on an easy setting then, cause they are a pain in the ass at higher difficulty.
    Nope, Nightmare. Maybe you're just bad at the game.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Such a mixed bag this game is. While I still like it, there's quite a few things I find annoying.

The further I get into the game, the more I despise the platforming parts. You enter a new room and some convoluted contraption appears, requiring you to figure out the path, fail several times because there's actually invisible wall and you're supposed to go the other way and then finally make it after few minutes. And while none of these sections are as bad as Argent Energy Tower, they are also far more numerous, disrupting the otherwise fast paced gameplay. Did anyone really ask for more platforming and less combat? Who is that person?

Also, punching. One second, you're tearing huge demons apart with your bare hands. Couple seconds later, you cannot stagger weakest of zombies, because normal melee does zero damage. Such a weird decision - it's not like punching was in any way overpowered in previous game, was there any need to make it completely useless?

Next, Cacodemons... They became a joke, complete with cartoony "swallow grenade" animation that feels like something out of an entirely different genre. None of the other demons have weakpoints that are anywhere near as crippling.

No death animations. Unless I missed something, only "thumbs up in lava" is left. It's a minor thing, but why remove them? Was it too much work adding something for new enemies? Maybe you could do that if you skipped few platforming sections.

Chainsaw spam. I far prefer the "you have a lot of ammo, but also a ton of enemies. Manage it carefully" ... which wasn't quite the case in previous game (more of a Painkiller/Serious Sam approach), but at least it didn't reach the absurdity of Eternal. If you shoot for more than few seconds, you're empty and need to carve another living ammo box open. Gets quite repetitive. Same with Glory Kills/Flame Belch. Both your health bar and ammo is like a yo-yo, constantly jumping up and down.

Finally, story and "cutscenes". Feels like badass demon killing murder machine, who took no shit from anyone, got downgraded into a typical soldier, who lets everyone (other than Vega) talk him down. Also, we have a mission hub now for some reason.

The story is definitely the weirdest part of Doom Eternal. Doom 2016 had this kind of self-mocking attitude when it came to the story like it knew this was all ridiculous and wasn't gonna pay too much attention to it, there was deeper lore to dig into but you could ignore it for the most part and not feel lost. Eternal's story takes its self 100% seriously yet doesn't bother to explain basic plot points like how did the Slayer end up in the Fortress of Doom after the first game. The only way to know what is going on is by reading pages upon pages of lore which is just lazy storytelling. Either tell a story or don't, I shouldn't be sitting through a bunch of cutscenes and yet still be lost as to what the hell is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Nope, Nightmare. Maybe you're just bad at the game.
    The bosses are easier than them.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Either tell a story or don't, I shouldn't be sitting through a bunch of cutscenes and yet still be lost as to what the hell is going on.
    I think they did that so people who didn't care about the story could just rip and tear, and people who wanted the lore could, albeit in a clunky manner.
    Last edited by Aquinan; 2020-03-24 at 05:21 PM.

The story is definitely the weirdest part of Doom Eternal. Doom 2016 had this kind of self-mocking attitude when it came to the story like it knew this was all ridiculous and wasn't gonna pay too much attention to it, there was deeper lore to dig into but you could ignore it for the most part and not feel lost. Eternal's story takes its self 100% seriously yet doesn't bother to explain basic plot points like how did the Slayer end up in the Fortress of Doom after the first game. The only way to know what is going on is by reading pages upon pages of lore which is just lazy storytelling. Either tell a story or don't, I shouldn't be sitting through a bunch of cutscenes and yet still be lost as to what the hell is going on.
    I'm gonna guess that one of the 2 story dlc's we're getting will be a flashback that bridges DOOM and eternal.

@Aquinan Actually marauder are some of the easiest mobs. Once you get them into a stun lock there is nothing they can do.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Once you get them into a stun lock there is nothing they can do.
    What are you using to stunlock them on ulta/nightmare? Cause they don't get stunned for more than a fraction of a second for me regardless of what weapon I hit them with, they stagger after the counter which opens for short attack then immediately shield again. I'm trying a diff strat next time of throwing down lots of shotgun grenades on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    I'm gonna guess that one of the 2 story dlc's we're getting will be a flashback that bridges DOOM and eternal.
    I think I read somewhere that's what they planned, but that could have just been a rumour. I do have a bunch of suit tokens/weapon tokens and 2 spare batteries to use though.
    Last edited by Aquinan; 2020-03-24 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    What are you using to stunlock them on ulta/nightmare? Cause they don't get stunned for more than a fraction of a second for me regardless of what weapon I hit them with, they stagger after the counter which opens for short attack then immediately shield again. I'm trying a diff strat next time of throwing down lots of shotgun grenades on the ground.
    Keep switching back and forth between the super shotty and ballista. It takes a little to get the timing right.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Keep switching back and forth between the super shotty and ballista. It takes a little to get the timing right.
    I found that unreliable myself. Sometimes he stays stunlocked, sometimes he proceeds to shotgun me regardless.

I did find one foolproof way, usable on all but the first Marauder; fire the BFG, but not at him, rather to his right or left. He will be forced to lift his shield to block the tendril emanating from the projectile, and turn his back to you. Bring out the chaingun with quad barrel mod and let it rip. On UV he staggered before the BFG projectile exploded.

Also, without spoilers, I can say that while I really liked all the boss fights, like in 2016 they were a bit on the easy side. I died to the Gladiator once but not to the two others, albeit they were far more spectacular. I hope at least once of the DLCs give us a massively difficult boss fight. Oh, and I found the Tyrant to be a bit toothless as well, he's a giant bullet sponge with overly telegraphed attacks. The Marauder and Arch-Vile felt a lot more threatening.

This thread's summary since release:

Twitter users struggle with lowest difficulty, as too many buttons hurts head

People buying games only because there was big hype behind it are dissatisfied with gameplay

Subhumans can't understand simple magnetic-like snapping to platform mechanics

Actual fans of the series painfully having to explain basic video game maneuvers to newbies

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    This thread's summary since release:

Twitter users struggle with lowest difficulty, as too many buttons hurts head

People buying games only because there was big hype behind it are dissatisfied with gameplay

Subhumans can't understand simple magnetic-like snapping to platform mechanics

Actual fans of the series painfully having to explain basic video game maneuvers to newbies
    More like Hardcore fans incapable of accepting any criticism. The game is awesome but the Marauders aren't fun and do in fact make the game worse just by existing. There is a serious problem with a lack of ammo, why would anyone prefer constantly spamming the chainsaw instead of just having more ammo by default? The platforming segments are unnecessarily overcomplicated (which is the general theme of the game) and completely kill the pacing, I don't mind platforming but did we really need to do all this clinging to walls and swinging from poles nonsense?

Doom Eternal is awesome but it is a textbook example of Devs trying to add things just for the sake of adding things instead of keeping things simple which was the whole reason people loved Doom 2016 in the first place.

Just finished it. Holy shit, this game is BEAUTIFUL! I think this one goes to the top of the list graphically.

The rest was meh... Phase 2 of the final boss what a total clusterfuck and not an enjoyable one; it just took too damn long. The game was too much of a platformer too; rotating fiery chains? Super Mario Bros much?

The final parts of the game we a chore. I just wanted to get it over with and didn't really enjoy the process as much as I should have, considering it's a game and all. Something of a time-invested fallacy right there.

Anyway, I hope they'll release Heretic ad Hexen with the same graphical fidelity and hopefully NOT the same lame game play.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

I've finished it yesterday, and don't get me wrong, I mean the I loved it, but isn't there more platforming than actual rip and tear'ing?
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

More like Hardcore fans incapable of accepting any criticism. The game is awesome but the Marauders aren't fun and do in fact make the game worse just by existing. There is a serious problem with a lack of ammo, why would anyone prefer constantly spamming the chainsaw instead of just having more ammo by default? The platforming segments are unnecessarily overcomplicated (which is the general theme of the game) and completely kill the pacing, I don't mind platforming but did we really need to do all this clinging to walls and swinging from poles nonsense?

Doom Eternal is awesome but it is a textbook example of Devs trying to add things just for the sake of adding things instead of keeping things simple which was the whole reason people loved Doom 2016 in the first place.
    Eh, everything turned the game into more fast paced action which is why I play doom... so I enjoy most of the things added including the "serious problem with ammo" which I didn't think was a problem at all.

Only problem with marauder is that fodder enemies can make him raise his shield which makes him a tad unpredictable.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-03-24 at 09:26 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I'm glad to hear they upped the difficulty. At this point, a single player FPS needs to do things differently to stand out. Adding actual mechanics to the grinding sounds like a great idea.

That said, I've been greatly enjoying Nioh 2 since launch and haven't had a chance to play this yet. I preordered from Amazon but my copy isn't in yet. I haven't even checked, since I can't start playing until I completely beat Nioh 2.

-Marauders are pretty easy to deal with,you may not like the fact that they change the pace of the gameplay when they enter the arena,I personally do but that might be subjective
    -Lack of ammo is only an issue at the very start,you will rarely ever run out of ammo later on unless you are really,really not conservative with your ammo or if you are stubborn and refuse to use more than one gun
    -Platforming is very simple.See green light,jump to green light,autosnap to the nearest ledge/monkey bar/climbable wall from 10 meters away.On top of that the addition of monkey bars is really nice for extra mobility during arenas

Pretty much everything in the game has a reason to be here,except maybe for extra lives which are half baked and just...weird

On top of that,it's pretty much exactly what Doom and Quake players wanted.Fast paced,hardcore,unforgiving yet fair...
    It's not a game made for everyone,it's a game made for people who wanted an Id Software shooter

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Agree, never understood how "not knowing" is preferable or interesting in any story or lore.
    in all cases,you can skip all cutscenes and not read the codex if you just want to kill shit.
    the lore is there for those who want it,and it's fully optional for those who don't

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Man, the cultist base master level really fucked my ass raw. It's been a long time since a game threw as much as shit at me as that last arena.
    It's such a good master level,even if it's really damn brutal.
    The ARC master level felt weak in comparison after that sadly,which made it feel less good

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    I've finished it yesterday, and don't get me wrong, I mean the I loved it, but isn't there more platforming than actual rip and tear'ing?
    The platforming kind of kills/interrupts the immersion for me, especially when I'm looking at the awesome scenery... then there's a yellow pole or obvious colored areas that are meant to say "Hey, jump here!" While DOOM 2016 had similar markings for its platforming parts, but it usually blended in due to the actual textures and environment for the most part (at least it made sense versus pristine yellow pole sticking out of a concrete pillar that's crumbling and dirty).

Also... I still can't get used to the UI and coloring scheme. I'll have to see if I can change it in Eternal, but the UI setup and color scheme in DOOM 2016 felt way more organic and easier to navigate. If I hadn't of played the previous game, I'd be so lost when it comes to navigating the UI as it still keeps some basic elements of it. Most of all, I have issues seeing the color scheme of the menus, it's almost made out to be a nighttime color scheme (aka, a setup you're supposed to read at night).

On the plus side, the combat difficulty and fluidity is very nice, and the performance of the game has been awesome even though my rig is nearly 12 years old (was top-of-the-line at the time). Nearly instant loading screens and no drops in FPS at any point, game is optimized like crazy (as was DOOM 2016). "Low Ammo" is becoming a meme at this point... and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I suppose the chainsaw having one baseline use that recharges over time makes it slightly better, but it's one of those things where I wish we had more choice in how we approach combat scenarios. I know they were trying to avoid people just using the Super Shotgun or Rocket Launcher the entire run... but I love the Super Shotgun as its combat play is soooo fun that I wish I could just blow up the entire map using it. Suppose there's cheat codes for replay, I just wish there was a little more leniency in this default from the start or saved for the hardest difficulty (which would be very in line with the original DOOM games, as the ammo was very limited on the highest difficulty).
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Pretty much everything in the game has a reason to be here,except maybe for extra lives which are half baked and just...weird
    They are there mostly for the Extra lives mode. I guess they are in standard so you know where tehy are.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    The platforming kind of kills/interrupts the immersion for me, especially when I'm looking at the awesome scenery... then there's a yellow pole or obvious colored areas that are meant to say "Hey, jump here!" While DOOM 2016 had similar markings for its platforming parts, but it usually blended in due to the actual textures and environment for the most part (at least it made sense versus pristine yellow pole sticking out of a concrete pillar that's crumbling and dirty).

Also... I still can't get used to the UI and coloring scheme. I'll have to see if I can change it in Eternal, but the UI setup and color scheme in DOOM 2016 felt way more organic and easier to navigate. If I hadn't of played the previous game, I'd be so lost when it comes to navigating the UI as it still keeps some basic elements of it. Most of all, I have issues seeing the color scheme of the menus, it's almost made out to be a nighttime color scheme (aka, a setup you're supposed to read at night).

On the plus side, the combat difficulty and fluidity is very nice, and the performance of the game has been awesome even though my rig is nearly 12 years old (was top-of-the-line at the time). Nearly instant loading screens and no drops in FPS at any point, game is optimized like crazy (as was DOOM 2016). "Low Ammo" is becoming a meme at this point... and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I suppose the chainsaw having one baseline use that recharges over time makes it slightly better, but it's one of those things where I wish we had more choice in how we approach combat scenarios. I know they were trying to avoid people just using the Super Shotgun or Rocket Launcher the entire run... but I love the Super Shotgun as its combat play is soooo fun that I wish I could just blow up the entire map using it. Suppose there's cheat codes for replay, I just wish there was a little more leniency in this default from the start or saved for the hardest difficulty (which would be very in line with the original DOOM games, as the ammo was very limited on the highest difficulty).
    I used the super shotty a lot, more than in 2016 where I was a heavy Gauss Gun fan. It's the most ammo-efficient weapon of your arsenal, and the meathook negates many of its weaknesses by 1) allowing you to quickly close in to faraway/agile enemies and 2) dropping Armor so you can feasibly use it even against enemies that are dangerous up close. I loved dancing around Barons, alternating a normal shot with a fiery hook to avoid their strikes.

The rocket launcher is the one I used the least. I think the heavy self-damage and slow projectiles are just too crippling, especially since so many crucial abilities (chainsaw, glory kills, blood punch, even ice grenades) either encourage or require close range. I only ever used its lock-on mode to oneshot the second phase of Doom Hunters after blood punching the snot out of his sled.

As for cheat codes, I am so running an endgame level with permanent Berserk up at some point. Think there's only one instance of that powerup in the entire game which is such a waste considering it is so fun.