Poll: Which do you prefer?

Thread: Old or new?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    These days I tend to like older things more but I also like new the things too when it comes to video games, movies, TV shows, and music. Pretty much with everything else I like the older things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Stuff was better before the SJW movement.
    I have the same sentiments.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

I want more of your opinions! Are you still trying to discover new things, or have you found peace with what you grew up with?

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    it's a case per case basis, if you mean on average...
    Pretty much this.
    I mean had anyone told me 30yrs ago that the current timeframe then is awesome for whatever generic reason I would have jeered thinking that an earlier time was even better But...dental medicine has been far better...and I've even gotten a form of Lasik done on my eyes back in 1999...best money I ever spent, and I hear the operation has improved loads.
    Still prefer listening to vinyl though. And even though I like video games, (Planescape has always been my fav because of story told, not because of graphics), I still prefer going outside. Reading a book rather than a tablet....And comic-books were an addiction...then. Today, they're an embarrassment.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    You can't get quality stuff like this today
    I love you use Pharaoh for the example there, that game was the first game I really got deep into as a kid. Played a lot of hours of that.

That said I do find it hard to go back to them. While the graphics hold up surprisingly well, due to the art style, the core gameplay loop is pretty bland actually. There wasn't a lot of options, and as a kid it was pretty great, but compared to modern games, it was mostly just busywork. It really doesn't meet the "Series of interesting decisions" test, you cities needed the same things in the same order every time, and the only difference in your cities was really what you imported and what you made. Other then that all your cities wound up pretty much identical, just in a different shape.

I can feel nostalgic towards old stuff, but my interests mainly lie, in gaming as well as things in general, the future and the new things that come with it.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

You can't get quality stuff like this today
    Only played Pharaho demo, but did played Caesar and still have Master of Olimpus/Master of Atlantis in my computer, all of these 3 game have been realesed by Sierra, which was Blizzard's sister company.

On-Topic:
    I tend to enjoy old stuff a lot more. SmartPhones for exemplo really annoy me, they huge, and you almost can't put them inside a pocket.
    For video games, i always prefer gameplay over graphics (one of the reasons i didn't got WCIII Reforged), old games are normally simple to play whille some do have complex gameplay. Today's games feel like if their code has been overwritten, no one cares with the size of final product, in the other hand 20 years ago the amount of implemented programing was very important, for exemple, WCIII is able to run on a AMD K6-2, and it was written in the days of P4's. Today it feels that games like WoW are just overwritten, just too much implementation.
    i Also tend to enjoy old music and old videos a lot more.

T2 is one great example, they still yet to match it, comparing with the movies of the series made after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I love you use Pharaoh for the example there, that game was the first game I really got deep into as a kid. Played a lot of hours of that.

That said I do find it hard to go back to them. While the graphics hold up surprisingly well, due to the art style, the core gameplay loop is pretty bland actually. There wasn't a lot of options, and as a kid it was pretty great, but compared to modern games, it was mostly just busywork. It really doesn't meet the "Series of interesting decisions" test, you cities needed the same things in the same order every time, and the only difference in your cities was really what you imported and what you made. Other then that all your cities wound up pretty much identical, just in a different shape.
    I still love me some old city building games. All of them, but Pharaoh takes first place for me. Emperor Rise of the Middle kingdom likely comes second

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol! Depends on what it is. Like movies. Some are better than some of the crap they put out now. I have a old ratchet wrench, which was made in the late 1960's. It still works great and I like it much better than the crappy newer one I have.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate newer things, but I enjoy the older stuff a bit more, like with video games, cars, movies, and music (Le Nozze Di Figaro Act 4, Ah Tutti Contenti is my ish).
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Stuff was better before the SJW movement.
    Like racism and work based sexual assaults. They may be dicks and annoying but I will take that over the old days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

7+ Year Old Account
    Artists get better at their craft over time, even though it takes a lot of creativity to make new and fun experiences, gameplay mechanics, characters, stories, etc. With that said the first 2D and 3D games will hold a timeless appeal because they were the best that artists could come up with given the technology of their time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I want more of your opinions! Are you still trying to discover new things, or have you found peace with what you grew up with?
    Always discovering new things. Art or science will never be able to stay the same. It'll always require new ideas and venturing from the known to the unknown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Like racism and work based sexual assaults. They may be dicks and annoying but I will take that over the old days.
    We still have those today. What he means is, you can not make a movie like Blazing Saddles today. Which is a very funny comedy.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I have no statistical data available to make an adequate judgement at this point in time, only reasonable answer: It depends.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    We still have those today. What he means is, you can not make a movie like Blazing Saddles today. Which is a very funny comedy.
    Yes. Blazing saddles is very funny if you like racism.
    why so mad bro

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I have no statistical data available to make an adequate judgement at this point in time, only reasonable answer: It depends.
    Well the OP was talking about movies and games so there's no statististical or quantitative way to find out what is truly a better or worse piece of art. Popularity at any given point in time is not a measure of merit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some old games can still be enjoyable, however through the years quality of life mechanics and features have been added that can make it hard to get back into them.

...it's still funny.
    And a classic!

10+ Year Old Account
    Na. What your response did was prove my point.

I'm on the spectrum, so one might say I'm predisposed to prefer "old" over new. That's not entirely the case, but my mind does like to lure me with photographic memories of the great times I've had playing older games or watching great movies. Much like some people have comfort foods, WoW is very much my comfort game. And since most of the gameplay is repeatable, one might argue practically all of it is old as soon as I've done it once already.

One great example of how I tend to approach games is the Mass Effect series. I've played through the entire trilogy many times now, but always as the practically identical female Shepard and I always play the exact same lawful paragon character making the exact same decisions every playthrough. I'm not experiencing a new story nor even experiencing the same story in a new fashion, but I'm enjoying myself all the same on each playthrough.

And the Half-Life series of games is probably my favourite franchise of all time. That's about as linear as single player story based games go, so the story's 100% the same every playthrough, yet I love replaying it anyway.

As for whether I like old things more than new? Not necessarily. Sure, there are some obvious examples of old being better than new, like Terminator 2 being better than any that proceeded it. But I'm sure I'd love Half-Life: Alyx as much as the previous entries in the franchise if I actually had a VR headset to play it on. I'm also a huge fan of the original Bladerunner, but Bladerunner 2049 is a goddamn masterpiece that in my opinion surpasses the original.

TL:DR It's hard to make a sweeping statement about old or new being better. It depends.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    ...it's still funny.
    And a classic!
    Classic rascism. Nothing is better. Unless you're not white.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Na. What your response did was prove my point.
    I agree. I proved your point that you're upset that you can't use racism to be funny. cOmEdY WaS bEtTeR iN tHe GoOd OlD dAyS.
    why so mad bro