10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Um...who, exactly, has asked for martial law? I could use a citation. I must have missed that.
    Haven't you heard, the right gets to determine what all the lefts positions are. So first they tell you what the democrats really believe, and then they tell you why it is awful.

Like Democrats want all the old people to die so everyone else can afford to have nice things! No wait, sorry, that is a GOP position now.

Like Democrats want to spend huge amounts of money on massive corporate bailouts! Wait, sorry, they also took that one at face value now.

Apparently republicans just wind up taking the straw man positions they created to villainize the democrats. They can't even win arguments with their own strawmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    This thread has taken a pretty sick turn. I mean we have people arguing about gambling with people over X age lives for a double shift at the Taco Bell.

Other nations seem to be able to do this shutdown? Why can't the richest and most prosperous one handle it for a few weeks? Why are we the ones wanting to trade a percentage of the population for this bullshit.

We are a sick sick nation.
    The same reason we are the richest nation and yet can't do nationalized medicine because............and there's never a good response to that. Really it's because those people have to repeat their lame talking points.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    The house really can't, because if federal elections aren't held, all their members leave office at the same time as the President. 2/3s of the Senate would still be in their term off office, and I am not sure who the majority party would be if all Senators who were up for reelection in 2020 left office without a replacement. So whoever those remaining 65 or so senators are, those would be the ones that would have to figure out what happens next.

It would be a very messy situation.
    While the election is for a federal office, the election is run by its corresponding state. He can't cancel it. The state would have to cancel it.

He could try something dumb even for him, and not recognize the results of the election, and let them not be seated, but holy shit if that happened what the fuck are we even talking about any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    I see a president trying to keep some stability vs a lock down.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "stability" Ahahahahahahahahaha

Oh wait, you're serious? Holy shit..... I guess "stability" means fucking up from the get go and having to be convinced that this wasn't a hoax.

The WHO is freaking out because this will ravage countries with little to no healthcare.
    So the U.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Yeah.....eventually we do, and it's called when the virus is more or less under control. See, if we restart too soon there's a chance it kicks back in and even mutates, but you don't seem to understand that. No one is saying we stop for 10 years, just long enough so less people die. Crazy, I know.
    A bit of hope here;

The coronavirus isn’t mutating quickly, suggesting a vaccine would offer lasting protection

The coronavirus is not mutating significantly as it circulates through the human population, according to scientists who are closely studying the novel pathogen’s genetic code. That relative stability suggests the virus is less likely to become more or less dangerous as it spreads, and represents encouraging news for researchers hoping to create a long-lasting vaccine.

All viruses evolve over time, accumulating mutations as they replicate imperfectly inside a host’s cells in tremendous numbers and then spread through a population, with some of those mutations persisting through natural selection. The new coronavirus has proofreading machinery, however, and that reduces the “error rate” and the pace of mutation. It looks pretty much the same everywhere it has appeared, the scientists say, and there is no evidence that some strains are deadlier than others.

Scientists now are studying more than 1,000 different samples of the virus, Peter Thielen, a molecular geneticist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory who has been studying the virus, told The Washington Post.

There are only about four to 10 genetic differences between the strains that have infected people in the United States and the original virus that spread in Wuhan, he said.

“That’s a relatively small number of mutations for having passed through a large number of people,” Thielen said. “At this point, the mutation rate of the virus would suggest that the vaccine developed for SARS-CoV-2 would be a single vaccine, rather than a new vaccine every year like the flu vaccine.”

It would be more like the measles or chickenpox vaccines, he said — something that would likely confer immunity for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    I'm not eager to see anyone die, lose their job, etc.

All I'm saying is we need an exit strategy to slowly lift these restrictions while still trying to protect those most vulnerable. An indefinite lockdown and a one time government stimulus won't help.
    The exit strategy is keeping it contained until an anti-viral or vaccine pops up. Did you honestly think we'd bunker ourselves for 5 years?

The term "Wuhan virus" predates that timeline by quite a bit. Here's a Nature oped from January 21 titled "Stop the Wuhan virus". There's been a recent push to stop regionalizing disease names, but the terms "Wuhan virus" was far from unusual or new.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    I think asking your aged 65+ plus support base too sacrifice their lives for the good of the stockmarket is going to be a tough sell, even for Trump.
    Considering how much farmers are getting ass rammed by Trump and his trade war and they are still willing to vote for him show the tenacity and sheer stupidity of a zealot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    That is the thing though, he probably can't cite anyone saying that, except some right wing fucktard on AM radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Haven't you heard, the right gets to determine what all the lefts positions are. So first they tell you what the democrats really believe, and then they tell you why it is awful.
    Well...that sounds like trolling to me. I tell you what, let's give him 24 hours to back up his point? I mean, we wouldn't want to accuse someone of trolling if they could provide evidence of their claim, would we? Surely 24 hours is enough.

Once again it's time for Guess the Speaker!

"That could be literally anyone."

It's Clinton, yes

—Snip—
    Side thought, when did he start squinting and being unable to read stuff, it wasn’t post solar eclipse, was it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering how much farmers are getting ass rammed by Trump and his trade war and they are still willing to vote for him show the tenacity and sheer stupidity of a zealot.
    There's also the What he really meant to say was.... crowd already excusing it as the older folks sacrifice a bit financially for their grandchildren.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    lol! Well, those 10% idiots just might be enough to get him reelected. I do not think of them as idiots however. Just voters who do not share your disapproval of Trump. He needs a large support from the independents to get reelected.
    Anyone that thinks Trump is handling this well is delusional. Maybe that can change, but I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

*LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER*

Never took their side. I even called them trolls. You saw me do it.

What you said is objectively false. You are lying.

*LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER*

Pompeo was calling it the "Wuhan virus" as early as March 7. It's hailed as new language.

The Chinese government floated the "US created it in a lab" conspiracy theory 5 days later.

What you said is objectively false. You are lying.

- - - Updated - - -

*LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER*

You said I support Iran and China. I did no such thing. What you said is objectively false. You are lying.
    OANN has also been quoted as saying that they have a "reliable source" that says the virus was started in North Carolina.
    https://www.mediamatters.org/coronav...us-was-created

Guess who was the "reporter", if you can call her that? It was the same moron that went with Rudy Guiliani to Ukraine.

The source they used, Greg Rubini, is a fucking batshit insane conspiracy theorist that as of right now, is stating on his Twitter, that Fauci is "Deep State". He said Fauci made a Corona Virus in 2015, that he funded it. https://twitter.com/GregRubini

That guy is batshit insane, and he is OANN's Source.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The term "Wuhan virus" predates that timeline by quite a bit. Here's a Nature oped from January 21 titled "Stop the Wuhan virus". There's been a recent push to stop regionalizing disease names, but the terms "Wuhan virus" was far from unusual or new.
    wuhan virus makes more sense, than chinese virus, because chinese can also be seen as a ethnicity where as wuhan is a specific location. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but to average people in the US they probably cant distinguish between chinese the continent,government,ethnicity, so if you are trying to regionalize it why not just say wuhan virus, and i understand people want to directly coorelate it with the chinese government, but calling it chinese virus really isnt a good idea IMO and can easily cause "common folk" to think chinese people carry it or some dumb shit
    Last edited by arandomuser; 2020-03-25 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    https://twitter.com/PoliticsReid/sta...48985828319233

Just like Jonestown we are witnessing people drinking the Trump kool-aid in the public which means its going to be that much harder to get rid of the virus in a few months and when everyone has flatten the curve America will be the laughing stock of the world as they ignored science to appease their false idol. I find it ironic conservatives don't believe in evolution but they are gonna get a hard lesson in natural selection
    That's not even to mention that if this spreads faster and sticks around longer it could easily mutate and get worse.

Looks like Trump is only worried about the economy because his own businesses are hurting.

Surprise: Trump Started Itching to End Social Distancing After His Six Most Profitable Clubs Closed

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    wuhan virus makes more sense, than chinese virus, because chinese can also be seen as a ethnicity where as wuhan is a specific location. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but to average people in the US they probably cant distinguish between chinese the continent,government,ethnicity, so if you are trying to regionalize it why not just say wuhan virus, and i understand people want to directly coorelate it with the chinese government, but calling it chinese virus really isnt a good idea IMO and can easily cause "common folk" to think chinese people carry it or some dumb shit
    Right, I agree with that, I'm not arguing in favor of calling it "China virus". Just noting that "Wuhan virus" was pretty common parlance for a couple months, including in mainstream scientific publications. The term "Wuhan virus" is akin to the naming of Zika or Ebola. Using "China virus" is clearly about political propaganda, not just a shorthand term that's been common.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not even to mention that if this spreads faster and sticks around longer it could easily mutate and get worse.
    While that's not strictly impossible, it's definitely not the most likely outcome. The majority of zoonotic pathogens become more mild over time, not worse - killing humans rapidly is evolutionarily disfavored for pathogens. The reason zoonotic infections tend to be dangerous is precisely because they're not well evolved to human hosts and are more likely to cause fast, gruesome deaths. COVID-19 is already unusually well adapted to human hosts with its latency, high transmission rate, and relatively low fatility rate (compared to horror shows like Marburg Virus).

Scientists now are studying more than 1,000 different samples of the virus, Peter Thielen, a molecular geneticist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory who has been studying the virus, told The Washington Post.

There are only about four to 10 genetic differences between the strains that have infected people in the United States and the original virus that spread in Wuhan, he said.

“That’s a relatively small number of mutations for having passed through a large number of people,” Thielen said. “At this point, the mutation rate of the virus would suggest that the vaccine developed for SARS-CoV-2 would be a single vaccine, rather than a new vaccine every year like the flu vaccine.”

It would be more like the measles or chickenpox vaccines, he said — something that would likely confer immunity for a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    OANN has also been quoted as saying that they have a "reliable source" that says the virus was started in North Carolina.
    That's fucking stupid.

For those interested, here is another poll showing the approval rating of Trump's handing of the Coronavirus issue in the US......https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gal...mp-coronavirus
    And those people would be wrong because they don't closely follow what Trump has been doing, a.k.a. fucking up hardcore.

- - - Updated - - -

lol! Well, those 10% idiots just might be enough to get him reelected. I do not think of them as idiots however. Just voters who do not share your disapproval of Trump. He needs a large support from the independents to get reelected.
    The same people who need healthcare while Trump tears it apart.
    The same people who need the healthcare to survive this.
    The same people who will die because they don't have it.
    The same people who vote for Trump, but now can't because they're dead.

Trump has yet to do one massively good thing for the country. Tax cuts failed, trade war fucked things up, no wall, no better healthcare, relations with allies are rocky at best, and so many more, but to top it all off WE are now one of those nations other nations say not to go to because we are that fucked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I find it adorable you would take the sides of dictators and foreign adversaries in order to spite the president that can be voted out in November and our own country. Trump started calling it the china virus after China accused the US of creating it in a lab. If anything Trump was the one that started trolling them first like they deserve.
    What is your obsession with need it to be called the "China Virus," seriously. Trump had done much of the same bullshit China has done and not a peep from you there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    A bit of hope here;

The coronavirus isn’t mutating quickly, suggesting a vaccine would offer lasting protection

The coronavirus is not mutating significantly as it circulates through the human population, according to scientists who are closely studying the novel pathogen’s genetic code. That relative stability suggests the virus is less likely to become more or less dangerous as it spreads, and represents encouraging news for researchers hoping to create a long-lasting vaccine.

All viruses evolve over time, accumulating mutations as they replicate imperfectly inside a host’s cells in tremendous numbers and then spread through a population, with some of those mutations persisting through natural selection. The new coronavirus has proofreading machinery, however, and that reduces the “error rate” and the pace of mutation. It looks pretty much the same everywhere it has appeared, the scientists say, and there is no evidence that some strains are deadlier than others.

Well that's some good news, but we don't need this spreading and mutating any quicker than it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    There's also the What he really meant to say was.... crowd already excusing it as the older folks sacrifice a bit financially for their grandchildren.
    Oh it's not sacrificing financially, but normal sacrifice. Trump and his zealots seem to think that if we sacrifice enough seniors that the economy will magically get better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Looks like Trump is only worried about the economy because his own businesses are hurting.

Surprise: Trump Started Itching to End Social Distancing After His Six Most Profitable Clubs Closed
    No surprise there in a number of ways. From Trump losing money to Trump not caring about anything else except money.