Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Ffxiv is outstanding.

Howdy all,

Have just started in this game and I gotta say outstanding work by the team.

The game is absolutely gorgeous and runs amazing!

The game is probably 1 of the best optimized mmos on the market - I currently run a 120hz 3440x1440p with a 3900x and msi gaming trio x 2080 super and hardly ever see the game drop any lower then 115fps with all settings maxed out.

Just a little pat on the back for the ffxiv team.

Cheers and have a good day all.

Nice, glad you're enjoying it!

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevstar View Post
    Howdy all,

Have just started in this game and I gotta say outstanding work by the team.

The game is absolutely gorgeous and runs amazing!

The game is probably 1 of the best optimized mmos on the market - I currently run a 120hz 3440x1440p with a 3900x and msi gaming trio x 2080 super and hardly ever see the game drop any lower then 115fps with all settings maxed out.

Just a little pat on the back for the ffxiv team.

Cheers and have a good day all.
    not sure if this is bait or not

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    He's not wrong, the game runs great in its intended way. The game is slower and yes, might feel a bit clunkier than fast paced MMOs like WoW. But when I played FF XIV, it ran really well.

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    FF14 has a lot of pain points, but optimization is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    FF14 has a lot of pain points, but optimization is not one of them.
    A lot less than wow these days.

Coming back to FFXIV after trying to deal with this cloak/corrupted gear/essence fiasco...it was like a weight off my shoulders.

It def did moraly gray better in shadowbringers than wow did in bfa. The story is their big selling point since thats where they put a good chunk of their effort. Its like its an online final fantasy game lol.

Its optimized for sure but its super boring and not a fun game. I get the feeling people need to try to hype it up to make up for their loss of not enjoying WoW anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    The thread is a month old but still, welcome aboard!

I don't know much about optimization but the game is (almost?) ten years old, of course it'll run great on new hardware. It does look amazing for an older game though, and it's just keeps getting better in the later zones. You've a lot to look forward to!
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    A lot less than wow these days.

Coming back to FFXIV after trying to deal with this cloak/corrupted gear/essence fiasco...it was like a weight off my shoulders.
    Unfortunately I can't offer any insight into the current state of WoW. I actually sat this raid tier out for the first time in a while. That said, I am currently subbed to FF14, and have several of my WoW raiding buddies also pugging savage with me (we're 4 deep right now, with a 5th currently leveling ShB). We all kinda wish there was more to do besides just savages though that was interesting/challenging.

I played it for a month and wasn't really interested in going back. I actually ended up re-subbing to WoW.

I was starting from scratch and only got to level 20-30 or so, does it get substantially better? I mean, WoW at that level range at least gives you a good idea of what the gameplay is like, and in FF14 it just all felt so clunky. WoW feels like an action game, instant response, where FF14 still feels like queuing up abilities and waiting for them to go off.

Just my two cents. I'm not against giving it another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by phattsao View Post
    I played it for a month and wasn't really interested in going back. I actually ended up re-subbing to WoW.

I was starting from scratch and only got to level 20-30 or so, does it get substantially better? I mean, WoW at that level range at least gives you a good idea of what the gameplay is like, and in FF14 it just all felt so clunky. WoW feels like an action game, instant response, where FF14 still feels like queuing up abilities and waiting for them to go off.

Just my two cents. I'm not against giving it another chance.
    Most classes are not complete until max level. You get new abilities every few levels

I got really into the story in FFXIV. The characters... the music all of it felt like playing Final Fantasy as a kid. I love the game. Unfortunately, too much of any one thing is bad. While the story is great... it never seemed to end. I have leveled one job to max and still have story quest I need to finish. It's a great diversion from WoW but I would not stay subscribed to both... maybe 6 months on for one then switch to the other just to keep things fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

I really love FFXIV, mostly.

But the raid system is far too easy. Everything is very scripted, and once you learn the "dance" it's trivial. It doesn't ever really feel like a real RPG Style boss fight, as nothing is unpredictable.

And yes, before you scream that I need to do the crazy 30 min ultimate fight. Yes, I've tried it, and its still 100% scripted. But have cleared Savage this expac with zero issues. usually within 2 weeks tops.

The combat is still a bit slow, and again, everything you do is fairly predetermined. I wish it had more of a random factor in regards to specs, rotations, gear, etc. Everyone doing the same thing makes it feel a bit dull.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    I really love FFXIV, mostly.

But the raid system is far too easy. Everything is very scripted, and once you learn the "dance" it's trivial. It doesn't ever really feel like a real RPG Style boss fight, as nothing is unpredictable.

And yes, before you scream that I need to do the crazy 30 min ultimate fight. Yes, I've tried it, and its still 100% scripted.
    That's one of the things I actually like about FFXIV's encounters. Unlike in WoW, you can't get screwed over by RNG. You're never going to get screwed over by unexpected AI behavior or an orb/AoE puddle/add spawning in a different place. In WoW, you could be good but still get screwed over by bad RNG, making it feel like you were fighting the game. In FFXIV, since every fight is the exact same, it feels like I am making definitive progress the further and further I last in the fight, until I eventually beat it. Then I can beat it again and farm it, as I know how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    That's one of the things I actually like about FFXIV's encounters. Unlike in WoW, you can't get screwed over by RNG. You're never going to get screwed over by unexpected AI behavior or an orb/AoE puddle/add spawning in a different place. In WoW, you could be good but still get screwed over by bad RNG, making it feel like you were fighting the game. In FFXIV, since every fight is the exact same, it feels like I am making definitive progress the further and further I last in the fight, until I eventually beat it. Then I can beat it again and farm it, as I know how to do it.
    I understand that 100%.

I just wish the class/combat system was a bit different. I hate that as a bLM, we're all the same. Either Crit or SPS builds. And to min/max you have to be at one extreme or the other. I really like the idea of talent systems that you change based on what works best for specific fights etc.

Only gets worse as you play it. The room for customization in gameplay is NOT there and won’t be. Story is amazing but combat is a drag, like a real snooze fest compared to wow. If you’ve done any raiding in WoW, prepare to raid in ff14 and for people to think you’re a god as you walk out of simply telegraphed abilities. The community is also REALLY cringe and loves to talk about how good and great the game is like a giant circle jerk. At least you know people are pretty real with how they feel about wow....

FFXIV is extraordinarily mediocre at everything it does. The combat is awful, the lag is insane (getting hit by stuff you've moved out of the telegraph for, skill delay, etc), the menu and ui systems are convoluted and unintuitive, especially the map system. The dungeons are mediocre at best and a snoozefest at worse.

There are millions of loading screens as well. There is no room for loading screens in an MMO. It makes it feel so disjointed and artificial. You should only load the game once, or when you enter an instance, or when you load into an entirely new continent or something. Not 39 times in the same zone going from area to area. Absolutely ludicrous.

I could rant for a long time about this game, but I won't because I'm hungry and am going to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by sephrinx View Post
    FFXIV is extraordinarily mediocre at everything it does. The combat is awful, the lag is insane (getting hit by stuff you've moved out of the telegraph for, skill delay, etc), the menu and ui systems are convoluted and unintuitive, especially the map system. The dungeons are mediocre at best and a snoozefest at worse.

There are millions of loading screens as well. There is no room for loading screens in an MMO. It makes it feel so disjointed and artificial. You should only load the game once, or when you enter an instance, or when you load into an entirely new continent or something. Not 39 times in the same zone going from area to area. Absolutely ludicrous.

I could rant for a long time about this game, but I won't because I'm hungry and am going to eat.
    And then there is PVP that isn't even close to mediocre

Every friend of mine who enjoy ff14 told me that the story was the top quality of the game.
    But as soon as you start and level your character, you are then forced to do 100h (litterally) of narrative quest to be able to play the latest expac. Those are the quests of the main story line for each expansion, and you have to do all 200 main quests of the first expac (ARR) to reach the next, then the 100 quests for the next, and then same goes for the next until you can play the current one. It might have been a good idea if it didn't take this long and if the quest quality wasn't as bad as it is...

But ARR and heavensward are the pentacle of bad narrative. Characters are stereotypes, some of them make fun of how the faction leaders make empty speaches then proceed to do the same 30minutes later. Nothing interesting ever happens, you never feel invested in the story. You have to get to the last 2 quests of the first expac to get the story moving. So much happens in those 2 last quests, it is just a pain to watch... I gave up leveling at the end of heavensward when I realized that my friends and I don't share the same quality standards.

I will definitely give it another try as soon as the game decides to go away with the current system that forces you to do all main quests of previous expac. Until them, I cannot believe this game to have a good story, not from what I've seen of the 2 first expac