Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Although you're right about it's Restrictions, it's also completely unfair to compare Country Borders to State by State borders.

States are not Countries.
    We have this restrictions at some levels INSIDE our countries BETWEEN STATES.

Your government is just useless, not only on the federal level but on many states levels, too...
    (some seem to do a good job)

Although you're right about it's Restrictions, it's also completely unfair to compare Country Borders to State by State borders.

States are not Countries.
    In terms of jurisdiction, they can be compared with provinces, which are also being locked down in most countries using local forces.

In terms of size, and manpower needed to enforce the lockdown, they can be compared with countries.

There's an argument to be made about EU countries generally having a bigger police force than most US states. That's fair. But saying nothing is being done because nothing can be done without the federal police is simply false. It may be less effective, but it's certainly possible. And more corrupt and poor countries are doing more with less.

Now, whether your state government dares to make a move without the federal government, and the repercussions of such action, particularly under your current command, is an entirely different problem. But that has nothing to do with what's possible, feasible or logical. That's just politics costing lives for no benefit.

So is China oppressing numbers or not? I really cannot believe the numbers they put out everyday..

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    We have this restrictions at some levels INSIDE our countries BETWEEN STATES.
    Your States are also much Smaller in Comparison.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    So is China oppressing numbers or not? I really cannot believe the numbers they put out everyday..
    They oppress their people.

Asian countries have less infections in general because the population is not as stupid when it comes to diseases.
    But the bigger point was a big lockdown. I read that only 1 person was allowed to leave the house. Once every 2 days. Only to get groceries.
    Obviously the number of infections will go down.

That said, their numbers are likely still wrong. But not by that much, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Your States are also much Smaller in Comparison.
    ???
    Are you for real?
    NRW is nearly as big as New York. You have a whole lot of 4 states that are bigger.
    Even Schleswig-Holstein (since I gave that example earlier) has nearly 3 million people and would be around #30 (around Mississippi and Kansas).

Yeah, we only have mini states, it can't work on your big US states

They oppress their people.

Asian countries have less infections in general because the population is not as stupid when it comes to diseases.
    But the bigger point was a big lockdown. I read that only 1 person was allowed to leave the house. Once every 2 days. Only to get groceries.
    Obviously the number of infections will go down.

That said, their numbers are likely still wrong. But not by that much, I guess.
    You can also just ignore China and look at South Korea and Japan. All three are enforcing similar measures, and obtaining similar results. Even if one of them is lying, the other two probably aren't, or aren't by that much.

Not like anyone looking at this as if it was a competition has the wellbeing of their population in mind, of course. They just want to be the country who gets ahead in the upcoming economic rat race.

15+ Year Old Account
    ???
    Are you for real?
    NRW is nearly as big as New York. You have a whole lot of 4 states that are bigger.
    Even Schleswig-Holstein (since I gave that example earlier) has nearly 3 million people and would be around #30 (around Mississippi and Kansas).

Yeah, we only have mini states, it can't work on your big US states
    The US is 26 times larger than Germany and they have just three times as many police forces.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The US is 26 times larger than Germany and they have just three times as many police forces.
    But just about 4 times the population. Sure, it's still less police per capita, but it's not like you have to lock down every hill and every river, just the main roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The US is 26 times larger than Germany and they have just three times more police forces.
    Size is pretty much irrelevant, the much more important factor is number of entry points.
    You think we can use a police man every 200m along our borders? If someone wants to get into Schleswig-Holstein, they still can.
    The important thing is to block normal entry points. Which should reduce people coming into the country by ... 98-99% at least? (that number is a guess and could be totally wrong, but I don't see it being below 90%)

At least Canada has the advantage of a thin population across a country bigger than most others. I have a feeling the impact here will be much less than other places.

15+ Year Old Account
    Size is pretty much irrelevant, the much more important factor is number of entry points.
    You think we can use a police man every 200m along our borders? If someone wants to get into Schleswig-Holstein, they still can.
    The important thing is to block normal entry points. Which should reduce people coming into the country by ... 98-99% at least? (that number is a guess and could be totally wrong, but I don't see it being below 90%)
    The US has 10 times more roads than Germany.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by tlitd View Post
    To your knowledge, have the German ICUs started looking out explicitly for sHLH or FM, as complications of COVID-19? The community's abuzz on these two potential involvements, as many biomarkers typical to immunologic or cardiac involvement have already been associated to COVID-19. sHLH typical biomarkers, the ones already found in cases of COVID-19 emphasized: hyperferritinemia, hypertriglyceridemia, cytopenias, hypofibrinogenemia, elevated soluble CD25. FM typical biomarkers, the ones already found in cases of COVID-19 emphasized: elevated cTn, elevated CK-MB, elevated CRP, elevated ESR, elevated BNP.
    Do you actually want to know, or do you want to test if I know my profession? =)

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Could someone who knows a thing or two about virology/microbiology expand on this?
    They want to know if it is 'just' the virus being in your lungs that causes patients to die, or if there might be a correlation between infection of your nervous system and respiratory failure. Extremely simplified, they want to know if the virus being in your brainstem might cause the brain to no longer 'order' the lungs to breathe. 'Spontaneous ventilation' is the professional term for breathing. They are suspecting that one of the reasons patients need to be artificially ventilated is that the virus hinders communication between the brain and your respiratory tract, and if that is the case, we might look into different angles of attack in regards of treatment. So far, we only know that the virus is sometimes present in the brainstem, not what it does there or how that might affect us.

That's what she said...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I agree. Some will not miss a chance to slam Trump or his supporters. This is very clear it is happening in this thread.
    Your boy's an incompetent shitheel. You should be ashamed of yourself for saying anything positive about him.

This video is hanging Trump with his own words so naturally he's suing to prevent it from airing.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    At least Canada has the advantage of a thin population across a country bigger than most others. I have a feeling the impact here will be much less than other places.
    That is true for many parts of the US also. Before yesterday, West Virginia did not have any confirmed cases. Even in Ohio, by far, the most cases are centered in Columbus, Cleveland,Cinn. areas. We have several rural counties which have none. Last time I checked, states with the highest counts, are Cal. New York and Washington.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    But just about 4 times the population. Sure, it's still less police per capita, but it's not like you have to lock down every hill and every river, just the main roads.
    Yep, but 1/3 of the German population living in the 79 most populated cities compared to 1/5 of the US population living in the 79 most populated cities. This goes on and on and on. Everything put together and you have a vastly different picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki
    Size is pretty much irrelevant
    Exactly! I've been saying this for years. I don't know why the girls keep laughing.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

5+ Year Old Account
    As mentioned earlier, the back and forth and condescending remarks need to stop. This is not the place to start insulting each other or bring in politics just for the sake of it. Stay on topic and be civil during discussion.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Canada's population distribuion is really not "thin", in any appreciable sense. We do indeed have wide swaths of wilderness, but most of our population is urban, and our cities are as dense as anything. There's just a lot more distance between cities, overall.

But other than that nitpick, yeah, we seem to be doing okay. At least here in Ottawa, everyone seems pretty cool with social distancing; I've seen people in the neighbourhood walking their dogs together, with one person on either side of the road and a third in the middle, so they can chat but maintain a 10' distance. I've gotta get some pet supplies today, but local stores will do curbside pickup; you place an online order for in-store pickup, then call and tell them what your car looks like, and they'll come out with the order. I think Canadians are more game for this kind of thing, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    In terms of jurisdiction, they can be compared with provinces, which are also being locked down in most countries using local forces.

In terms of size, and manpower needed to enforce the lockdown, they can be compared with countries.

There's an argument to be made about EU countries generally having a bigger police force than most US states. That's fair. But saying nothing is being done because nothing can be done without the federal police is simply false. It may be less effective, but it's certainly possible. And more corrupt and poor countries are doing more with less.

Now, whether your state government dares to make a move without the federal government, and the repercussions of such action, particularly under your current command, is an entirely different problem. But that has nothing to do with what's possible, feasible or logical. That's just politics costing lives for no benefit.
    This is absolutely spot on, if the powers that be wanted to solve the problems they could. Its politically not convenient with an election to win to be remembered as enacting emergency powers to restrict freedom of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Do you actually want to know, or do you want to test if I know my profession? =)
    It seems that it wasn't clear, I'll reformulate. To your knowledge, to what extent is the focus shifted onto ARDS in German ICUs, indubitably seen as the primary threat? Do you know of any confirmed cases of sHLH or FM in the German healthcare system? I wasn't teasing you, but asking for an insider opinion.