10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I honestly do not know what's worse here. The fact our federal leadership is so inept that we're relying on the state governments and certain corporations to fight this battle that we seem to be losing on a daily basis. Or maybe it's the people that continue to defend Trump's actions as more and more Americans bodies pile up because they were more focused on what Nancy Pelosi did with the last version of the bill. Either way everyone needs to stay safe...it's going to get a hell of a lot worse with both of those things combined.
    If somehow this goes away quickly, look for a sudden push for privatization. "The Free Market Saved us! Invisible Hand(job) to the rescue!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Once again, when it comes to "Team Trump says one thing, a group of experts say something else" if I lean any harder towards the group of experts I'll fall down.
    Be careful leaning, it's slipper in Graham's shower. Does he have those handicap rail things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Mississippi and its governor have bought into Trumps bs of this being a media shill thing. The governor has ACTIVELY over turned any stay in place and closers. He is forcing doors open again. Forcing people back to work. With them being next door to Louisiana I feel this is going to end up being a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    PA, when my assistant manager quit, she filed for unemployment. HR called, I said "No, she quit." Claim denied. Not appealed.
    Just goes to show you how little these people know about issues they are so fast to clutch their pearls over.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    If they maintain anywhere near 738 deaths a day, well it could get very ugly in Spain. I mean much much uglier than it already is. And possibly what we have to look forward to in the US. Fingers crossed that this is a 1 day spike for some reason.
    It is unfortunately a pretty safe bet that the US will surpass 3000 deaths per day for a period of a week or so when this peaks, given its relative population and medical readiness compared to Italy who seem to have peaked around 600-700 deaths per day and are now seeing their new cases finally start to decline.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    It is unfortunately a pretty safe bet that the US will surpass 3000 deaths per day for a period of a week or so when this peaks, given its relative population and medical readiness compared to Italy who seem to have peaked around 600-700 deaths per day and are now seeing their new cases finally start to decline.
    Well Italy did a very dramatic and complete lock down two weeks ago. The new case level off is indicative of that. If we don't do something similar, there is no reason to believe our cases will level off at the same point, we might get a lot worse then that. So far our curve looks worse then Italy's, but it is very hard to tell, because the curves don't record actual cases, they only record people who tested positive, so the data varies widely based on testing availability and guidance. This is probably why Italy appears to have an extremely high mortality rate (Nearly 10%!), while Germany has an extremely low rate (Around 0.5%). The rates are probably not that different, but Germany seems to have done much wider testing, and is recording mild and asymptomatic cases, whereas Italy was primarily testing people with serious health problems. I am sure there is some difference in mortality, but that comes down to Italy's health system getting overwhelmed, rather then a more severe strain of the virus.

And that is really what is at stake here. A huge number of Americans are going to get this virus. That is unavoidable. It isn't Trump's fault, it would have happened to any President. What we can change is how rapidly this spikes, which changes the quality and quantity of medical care available to severe cases. If we do a good job, we can have a mortality rate closer to Germany. If we botch this, we could have one worse then Italy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Apparently part of the compromise bill that got passed has a Congressional oversight committee to keep an eye on the 500 billion dollars.
    I'm assuming that oversight committee is made up of just Senate GOP?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile......https://www.foxnews.com/world/world-...virus-pandemic

The head of the World Health Organization on Wednesday praised President Trump for his leadership in handling the novel coronavirus outbreak and said the president is "taking responsibility" for leading the United States' response to the global pandemic.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the United Nations health agency has repeatedly called for the heads of state to lead a "whole of government" response to COVID-19 and said Trump was leading by example.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post

The head of the World Health Organization on Wednesday praised President Trump for his leadership in handling the novel coronavirus outbreak and said the president is "taking responsibility" for leading the United States' response to the global pandemic.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the United Nations health agency has repeatedly called for the heads of state to lead a "whole of government" response to COVID-19 and said Trump was leading by example.
    Didn't they also say that the U.S. would be the epicenter of the next one?

Also, apparently they didn't hear what he said the last couple of days or how he handled the beginning of this if they are praising him.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2020-03-26 at 12:43 PM.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Mississippi and its governor have bought into Trumps bs of this being a media shill thing. The governor has ACTIVELY over turned any stay in place and closers. He is forcing doors open again. Forcing people back to work. With them being next door to Louisiana I feel this is going to end up being a disaster.
    MS has always been a disaster. Ask anyone who's lived in southern TN, the MS border is something to be actively avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    Will for sure. Italy did a major lock down. USA half the nation is walking around pretending it cannot happen to them or it is just a big city problem. Mostly because they think this is some sort of political debate and the virus picks sides. I know a LOT of people went to Mardi gras across a lot of the south / south west and you see what a bad state that state is currently in. It is going to be a spider web that reaches out to a LOT of these states doing NOTHING. Mississippi, the next door state, is actively COUNTERING efforts to spread the sickness by governor orders. Mostly because of politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Yeah, this is all new and I'm not reading 200 or whatever pages to find out.

Fuck me decaffeinated, it's 883 pages.
    Part of the reason it's 883 pages is because there's so few words on each page. In terms of legal documents it's not actually that bad to read, but is still a massive pain because it keeps referring to other laws/codes. The $1200 rebate stuff starts on page 144.

It looks like the rebate is a modification of the 1986 Internal Revenue Code, and I'm not reading all of that... but from my quick reading, it looks like the $1200 is a tax credit in your current/next tax year, but it will be sent to you now as an advance. There's some language in there about your credit being reduced by the amount advanced, which I think is just a pendantic way of explaining that it won't be paid out twice (once now, and once when you file your taxes).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Is he implying all the people not agreeing with him are imaginary?
    Of course, 103% of americans love him, anyone that doesn't is fake news or Iranians or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Is he implying all the people not agreeing with him are imaginary?
    I remember him saying all the people who voted for him were "the people" when he was elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Part of the reason it's 883 pages is because there's so few words on each page. In terms of legal documents it's not actually that bad to read, but is still a massive pain because it keeps referring to other laws/codes. The $1200 rebate stuff starts on page 144.

It looks like the rebate is a modification of the 1986 Internal Revenue Code, and I'm not reading all of that... but from my quick reading, it looks like the $1200 is a tax credit in your current/next tax year, but it will be sent to you now as an advance. There's some language in there about your credit being reduced by the amount advanced, which I think is just a pendantic way of explaining that it won't be paid out twice (once now, and once when you file your taxes).
    Well that’s just dumb. If it is our money that they are just giving back in advanced, then it is just going to cause a slump next year. And for those of us who might owe money or roughly break even, then we would owe that money back.

If the point is to boost the economy, and it’s my money already, not extra, then I’m not going to spend it on things that I wouldn’t already be spending it on, so no change in spending habits, because I don’t want to have to potentially pay it back later.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Well that’s just dumb. If it is our money that they are just giving back in advanced, then it is just going to cause a slump next year. And for those of us who might owe money or roughly break even, then we would owe that money back.

If the point is to boost the economy, and it’s my money already, not extra, then I’m not going to spend it on things that I wouldn’t already be spending it on, so no change in spending habits, because I don’t want to have to potentially pay it back later.
    I think I explained it poorly, partly because its a bit convoluted. But basically they're giving you an extra $1200 to your tax credit, then paying you that $1200 now, and then reducing your tax credit by the amount that they just paid you... so if everything works properly you should get $1200 with no change to your next taxes (tax credit +1200 - 1200 = no change).

But if they can't pay you for whatever reason, I think you'll have an extra $1200 tax credit in your next tax filing? I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's the general idea.

Also I'm not sure if tax credits can give you a negative tax burden, so I don't know how that interacts with people already not paying much tax.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post

People who owed no taxes due to not meeting the requirements to pay any, ( too low of income. ) are going to need to pay back the whole $1200? lol! I do not think so. So it may depend on the person's individual tax burden.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post

Meanwhile

Most Americans don’t trust President Trump for accurate COVID-19 information says CBS/YouGov Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Did you see the one about Spain?

If they maintain anywhere near 738 deaths a day, well it could get very ugly in Spain. I mean much much uglier than it already is. And possibly what we have to look forward to in the US. Fingers crossed that this is a 1 day spike for some reason.
    Spain held Women's Day mega-rallies. Think for a moment about just when Women's Day is.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is one poll. There have been like 3 since then released which showed him with a increase in approval of his handling of the crisis. Most recently a Gallop Poll.