Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The lack of testing kits and proper precautions is going to make this horrific. The United States is already at the top of reported cases (and granted, many countries probably aren't reporting properly/accurately, or at all - see India). But still, of those reporting - we're already ahead of Italy - which quarantined as a country.
    Yeah we were one of the first states to quarantine but it's just not enough because we had like a 200% spike in new cases from just the last day. We don't have New York numbers but we got our first case over a month before them, and are only testing at about 10% of New Yorks testing.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I don't think you understood my post...

I mean get the willing and unemployed to make fill the manpower shortages.

If Bob got laid off and test negative, hire him to in one of the areas I mentioned.
    Heres the thing. You still need to be able to get through background tests, fill out tax forms, set up banking, opt in or out of benefits ect.. Its a long process. Could take weeks alone for a background or drug screening test. Then you have the issue of employers are the ones who eat the costs of all of these tests just to suddenly lose all of them. Its great in theory but in practice, it has a lot of hurdles to work through

US is also highest amount of cases now. What makes this so much worse is that our population is 331Million vs Chinas 1.4Billion, And being the first place this originated from. We are so screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    sorry if this is a dumb question but is that song placed over the u.s. bus manually? cause i can't find the video on youtube to link.
    No idea, I didn't make the video. but if you need the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk

I am terrified to back to work Monday, but apparently making potato chips makes me an "essential employee".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Heres the thing. You still need to be able to get through background tests, fill out tax forms, set up banking, opt in or out of benefits ect.. Its a long process. Could take weeks alone for a background or drug screening test. Then you have the issue of employers are the ones who eat the costs of all of these tests just to suddenly lose all of them. Its great in theory but in practice, it has a lot of hurdles to work through
    I know how the hiring process goes. I grew up around a business. It doesn't take weeks for a manufacturing job. I work in the rehab field, direct care - > CNAs take weeks to a couple of months to train. Especially if the person has a related work history in the middle of the crisis.

Any type of initiative would be handled by the government, money the government would have to distribute for unemployment. Employers already pay into unemployment anyway. Get those willing to work filling shortages. The options are tool collapses under shortages or do something about them.

The US workforce is ill equipped for such a thing anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    I am terrified to back to work Monday, but apparently making potato chips makes me an "essential employee".
    Wash your hands, don't touch your face. Avoid anyone who is coughing profusely.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    No idea, I didn't make the video. but if you need the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk
    i mean do you have the link to the video that was posted?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Puupi Happy Birthday! Hope yours goes better than mine did.

For the others who have been exposed or are otherwise facing tough times -- it isn't worth much for me to say, but hang in there and I hope for the best for all of you.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i mean do you have the link to the video that was posted?
    ah, this should be it then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toqBkrIeGG0

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    How much people smoke in portugal? I've heard that Italy unusally high death rate (alongside the severe under report of positives) is in part because people smoke like maniacs there.
    People smoke a lot here too, so I don't see why that would be the cause.

has the US issued a nationwide lockdown yet?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    @Puupi Happy Birthday! Hope yours goes better than mine did.

For the others who have been exposed or are otherwise facing tough times -- it isn't worth much for me to say, but hang in there and I hope for the best for all of you.
    Thank you.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    You think our leader is smart enough to do that? Nah. We dont have anything and he hopes to open back up by Easter.

Some people in my family seem to think the US has more people than China. Apparently heard it on the same news story that told them the US over took china in case numbers. Had to correct them about the census info, to which they said that only happens every 10 years. I just had to tell them 10 years isnt going to equate to a 1 Billion person difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Lockdown? LOL no...
    the lock downs currently going on right now are on the state level, the government isn't doing jack shit and trump wants everything to open up again by easter because he doesn't care at all how many people have to get infected and die as long as his stocks are doing good and most of congress is of that same attitude, they're more than willing to sacrifice as many people as is necessary to make sure their money keeps rolling in.

The u.s. government is completely fucking inept and full of utter fucking morons.
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    10k machines for a country the size of Israel?

Do you have qualified people to operate those....?
    I would not trust their governments' numbers too much, a week ago Gaidax wrote their secret service imported 1mio test kits when it was 100k.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    People smoke a lot here too, so I don't see why that would be the cause.
    How's the air quality in SK? i've heard that the hardest hit area in Italy is also the zone with the worst air quality in the country (and afaik in europe)

Smokers are a high risk population when contracting any pulmonary disease.
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-27 at 06:22 AM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Some states (both dem and rep) are being more aggressive about minimizing the damage, but I don't think Trump understands or cares enough to take necessary action. And since some states are going out of their way to make sure as many people die as possible, like Mississippi and Florida, this thing is going to be dragging out for months.

Even though China is absolutely lying about how many infected and dead they have from the virus, they were certainly on the ball about locking it down. The US is likely to have more dead than any country (raw numbers). Unless India loses control I suppose.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2020-03-27 at 06:27 AM.

Just when you thought Trump could not sink any lower, https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump...030627060.html

This makes me so angry I really do wish harm on him. What a vile creature.

Just when you thought Trump could not sink any lower, https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump...030627060.html

where is that lone military vigilante when we need him to take out the trash....
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Of course people want to get back to work, back to restaurants and bars and just back to their normal lives, not dreading about what the unknown of what tomorrow might bring. Nobody is happy about this, that doesn't mean we should rush this and downplay what is happening like he is. It's an unprecedented virus that's never been seen before. Its ridiculous he wants people to die for the dow. he said 1 person from China, that it was 15 soon to be zero should be clue 1 he is wrong, but he every day just proves he is wrong and the doctors are right, because they are the experts and he is an idiot. I don't think Cuomo is just pulling numbers out of the air, that's what his experts are telling him, 30k respirators, and if it doesn't get that high good, better safe then sorry. Trump would rather be sorry and kill so many people because he cares about re-opening his business back up to make his bank account bigger and only worried about being re-elected instead of worrying about his citizens lives, which only proves how stupid he is because doing the latter would drastically improve the chances of the former. Fuck Trump he can go to hell.

This will get a lot worse before it gets any better. The shitty US healthcare is throwing gasoline into the fire.