15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Thinks are starting to get tight in the Netherlands. Went from 761 ICU's in use to 873 out of 925. They are working on extending it to 1050 beds by the end of the month but we're looking to be out of space tomorrow, and 1050 isn't going to late more then a day or 2 regardless.
    Oh shit....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Yes it did, I added to my remark. But so far, USA is really nothing special. Of course it makes huge headlines and all, being USA and not some Nowheristan, but all in all it's still far from being a real hotspot.

It will be though eventually.

But I mean, now? Half of the Europe countries "beat" USA soundly in just about every useful metric and "proper" countries with "proper" healthcare systems and "proper" governments at that.
    USA still hasnt done a nationwide lockdown though

China did it after 30 deaths and did it hardcore. In the UK we are expecting the peak 2 to 3 weeks from now. They are counting deaths in a delayed way here too

looks fairly innoculous but hostpitals are getting hammered already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Well don't you worry the virus is just starting to make a splash in Florida the states with one of the highest elderly population in the US. The state officials are not refusing any lock down because "people have to work", there's a severe lack of testing and hospitals are near capacity already. They are going to make New York look like a happy dream.

USA USA USA
    That's why I said "it will be though eventually". But right now? It's about average among the developed countries.

I just hope that governors in states themselves will have a lick of sense to put various considerable restrictions even in less threatened states, without waiting for the federal government to do something useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Well don't you worry the virus is just starting to make a splash in Florida the state with one of the highest elderly population in the US. The state officials are refusing any lock down because "people have to work", there's a severe lack of testing and hospitals are near capacity already. They are going to make New York look like a happy dream.

USA USA USA
    Not to mention florida is like a week behind in their testing just waiting on results, they are already likely the highest hit state.

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...lly-behind-it/

Sheesh, Trump is going hard on these governor's saying they shouldn't rely on the federal government for supplies.

I don't think he's doing himself any favors here, to put it lightly.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah we're already closed until further notice, but they want to make a case for staying closed beyond easter.
    Ah, gotcha. I misread you, sorry!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    China did it after 30 deaths and did it hardcore.
    You think? Yeah, sorry, but let's not buy into Chinese bullshit on that one.

Quite frankly - real China numbers might as well be 10x the reported ones and we will never know. Same with Russia, btw - they have a legitimate disaster unfolding, but they gotta play Putin the Man got this game.

This seems useful : https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

you can check your state.

Stay HOME!

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I have no explanation for China. But that's okay, nobody else does, either, apparently.
    China is 100% lying about their numbers, no doubt. There is absolutely no way that they have been relatively flat for the last month, given how quickly and how far this spread beyond China. But it's likely that they haven't exploded, either, or we'd know about it. The "upside" to an oppressive, all-controlling regime is that they can contain viruses well. It's why North Korea probably is lying about having no cases, but probably also has very few cases - the mortality rate of the infected in North Korea is probably about 100% unless their name ends with "im Jong Un."

India likely doesn't have as much international travel to help spread this faster. They will definitely pass us, though.
    International travel doesn't seem to track too well with it, either. Canada's got about 25% of the US's international travel, but they have dramatically fewer cases. India also has about a quarter of our travel, but to explain the difference they would need to be in the single digit percents of international travel. Italy and France have comparable populations, virtually identical international travel rates, but dramatically different infection and death rates. Population-based numbers don't explain it nearly as well as cultural and infrastructural response.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Damn, almost 1000 dead in Italy today

https://twitter.com/business/status/1243582267647242245

Italy reported its highest number of deaths from the coronavirus, even as the number of new cases declined

Italy Has Deadliest Day From Coronavirus With 969 Fatalities

10+ Year Old Account
    approaching six digits now in cases reported.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    I gotta assume you mean States... In that case, we will see that today (for me your today ends in 2 hours, but I still will probably see 100k in USA before 24:00)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    Should be 100k before Trump's press conference.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    April 21st for the normal US study of HQC

Note that as far as I understand there are also trials in other countries - both related drugs (e.g., chloroquine), and other ones like remdesivir.
    In China they have even had tests of both HQC and chloroquine; the first disappointing - the latter ones unclear.

The tests will not be fully reliable (some are not double-blind studies), but I assume we will hear of them earlier if the drugs do work.

There are some discouraging signs:
    https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-02-2...Vvy/index.html - more than three weeks have passed.
    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...ovid-19-begins - should be completed April 1st; but if it worked really well I doubt that it would have been kept secret.

Specifically for HQC studies that at least have begun recruiting and estimated primary completion date
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/resul...r=&type=&rslt=
    S. Korea May
    Spain June 15th
    France likely beginning of April
    Italy April 30th
    US April 21st
    So, we should have some updates in a week, from france?
    I think they used HQC w/h Zpac in the first study, or i'm wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Not to mention florida is like a week behind in their testing just waiting on results, they are already likely the highest hit state.
    Spring break yooooo!
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52061915

Indian super spreader. 40k quarantined because of him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    This seems useful : https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

you can check your state.

Stay HOME!
    So they are projecting anywhere from 100-200K dead?

Even if this sounds cruel, this will seem like a non issue to your government. Covid wouldn't even reduce your population by 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Thinks are starting to get tight in the Netherlands. Went from 761 ICU's in use to 873 out of 925. They are working on extending it to 1050 beds by the end of the month but we're looking to be out of space tomorrow, and 1050 isn't going to late more then a day or 2 regardless.
    I have some anecdotal evidence to add to this. The street I live on sees a lot of emergency traffic--police, fire engines, ambulances. Today there has been an ambulance going past at least once per hour whereas in weeks before we'd see/hear one maybe once or twice a day.

There's no way for me to tell whether these are related to the virus, of course, and it might be people taking the "better safe than sorry" approach and calling for help when they don't really need it, but even these other things are stretching local healthcare close to the breaking point. I fully expect that the ICUs will be filled by next week if not by the end of the weekend. Local and national leadership has been exceedingly lax or undecided in their response (the local mayor basically said that people NEEDED to go out to their pubs and restaurants--then they all closed the next day) and this is all going to start bearing rotten fruit really, really soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    So they are projecting anywhere from 100-200K dead?

Even if this sounds cruel, this will seem like a non issue to your government. Covid wouldn't even reduce your population by 1%.
    Worst case scenario is 100k-200k with the current methods in place. It may be lower.

Something weird has happened y my country. Out of 1600 cases, only 40-50 are in ICUs and of those only 10 are in ventilators.
    Wft? Is my government lying, or is the mapuche gene making us stronger?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Covid wouldn't even reduce your population by 1%.
    1% is a fucking huge number.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    International travel doesn't seem to track too well with it, either. Canada's got about 25% of the US's international travel, but they have dramatically fewer cases.
    Come on, now. The US has ~150 international airports. Canada has, like, 6.

Ahem:

Canada's population density is also a lot lower. Plus, "dramatically fewer cases" just means less than two weeks behind the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    India also has about a quarter of our travel, but to explain the difference they would need to be in the single digit percents of international travel. Italy and France have comparable populations, virtually identical international travel rates, but dramatically different infection and death rates. Population-based numbers don't explain it nearly as well as cultural and infrastructural response.
    Again, fewer international airports means fewer loci for an exponential growth to start propagating. Nobody is claiming that population numbers are the only factor in case count, but their importance is a mathematical certainty.

I mean, if you want to put things in a per capita comparison, the US is down to, what, 30ish on that list?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Should be 100k before Trump's press conference.
    Nailed it. US just passed 100k.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Nailed it. US just passed 100k.
    I'm sure Trump "likes" that number.