Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I need to play a FPS game....Maybe I should just try borderlands or something...Im to busy with wow, but something in me wants to try a FPS game. How bad is doom for a player that sucks at FPS games? I played a bit of PUBG but I just suck at it. Quake 2 is like the last FPS game I played...15-20 years ago or what do I know.
    If quake 2 was your last FPS then just buy Dusk. Its amazing and you will feel right at home given that it takes all inspiration from quake with few modern twists.

3+ Year Old Account
    Genuinely a 10/10 for me. Played through it 9 times now, about to go for a 10th. What a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    My best is guess is that you need to pay a sub on consoles to earn the Battlemode achievements? But that's an issue with consoles, not the game itself. And 2016 also has multiplayer-exclusive achievements, on Steam at least.
    Correct! Ps plus and Xbox live gold is needed to gain those achievements, last time on doom 2016, there was no need to have a subscription to be able to play online. It sucks that console players (who don’t have the sub) have to pay to fully complete the base game, small nitpick on my part but I still find it annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Thanks. Just feel like I miss out if I never try just 1 FPS games...Joe rogan podcast also influencing me Im sure lol. Anyway, it looks fast phased, so it scared me a bit...Its fun how gamers can be good at something and suck at others...I can play AOE2 (RTS) pretty good, and ofc wow and Diablo 3 like games etc.
    I'd honestly recommend Doom 2016 over Doom eternal if your new to FPS games. The combat pacing is a little slower and the arenas are a bit easier to navigate. I don't play a ton of FPS games and while Eternal is a great game I feel its a little to frantic/arcade-y compared to 2016.

Plus there is more of an introduction to the story in Doom 2016, that really does such an amazing job of establishing who you as the player character are and makes you a complete no-nonsense badass.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The basic punch in Doom Eternal was nerfed pretty hard, it's basically useless except with the Blood Punch upgrade (which is itself very useful).
    Aside from the ballerina bars, I feel like they changed the combat to where most things are bullet sponges compared to DOOM 2016. Maybe that's not the case on the easier difficulties, I tend to jump into games on the harder/hardest difficulties. Sometimes I'll punch enemies to interrupt their casts as I'm running by, kind of the zombies with the lasers (can't remember their names).... but I'm not even sure if you can get the glory kill stagger using the punch anymore. Considering how strict the game is with ammo, I don't get why they nerfed the baseline punch so much. They should've just gotten rid of the super punch mechanic, kept the standard punch to non-useless levels, and maybe add in more Berserker buffs (or replaced the super punch with a Berserker mechanic).

I was doing one arena yesterday and still had a Manacubus, Hell Knight, and Arachnotron chasing me around... and I had 2 shotgun shells left with no fodder to chainsaw (too many of the fodder guys died due to incidental AoE). In DOOM 2016, I could've whipped out the pistol and had a chance of surviving. In DOOM Eternal, I jump off a cliff and start again because there's no real other option. While I think fodder is supposed to spawn non-stop to allow chainsawing for ammo in arenas, I've seen several cases where this doesn't happen. All this being said, I think they went way too far with how limited ammo really is, I'd rather they kept the Chainsaw use more of a strategic enemy killer versus a replacement to a reload button. Again, I tend to play on the hardest difficulties, so perhaps the enemies are larger bullet sponges than on easier difficulties.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Aside from the ballerina bars, I feel like they changed the combat to where most things are bullet sponges compared to DOOM 2016. Maybe that's not the case on the easier difficulties, I tend to jump into games on the harder/hardest difficulties. Sometimes I'll punch enemies to interrupt their casts as I'm running by, kind of the zombies with the lasers (can't remember their names).... but I'm not even sure if you can get the glory kill stagger using the punch anymore. Considering how strict the game is with ammo, I don't get why they nerfed the baseline punch so much. They should've just gotten rid of the super punch mechanic, kept the standard punch to non-useless levels, and maybe add in more Berserker buffs (or replaced the super punch with a Berserker mechanic).

I was doing one arena yesterday and still had a Manacubus, Hell Knight, and Arachnotron chasing me around... and I had 2 shotgun shells left with no fodder to chainsaw (too many of the fodder guys died due to incidental AoE). In DOOM 2016, I could've whipped out the pistol and had a chance of surviving. In DOOM Eternal, I jump off a cliff and start again because there's no real other option. While I think fodder is supposed to spawn non-stop to allow chainsawing for ammo in arenas, I've seen several cases where this doesn't happen. All this being said, I think they went way too far with how limited ammo really is, I'd rather they kept the Chainsaw use more of a strategic enemy killer versus a replacement to a reload button. Again, I tend to play on the hardest difficulties, so perhaps the enemies are larger bullet sponges than on easier difficulties.
    I had that happen to me just once, after I stupidly dumped my ammo into two Tyrants first instead of Crucibling at least one to oblivion. I feel that the arenas only get excessive on bullet sponge enemies when the game starts giving you the superweapons. Just dash around the level, some fodder will invariably spawn. Also there's an upgrade that makes barrels give ammo and another that makes them respawn.

Plus ignore the Blood Punch at your own peril. Combined with the flame meathook it allows you to trash otherwise tough enemies like Cybermancubi, Dreadnights or that one Arachnotron in the back that still has its cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I'd honestly recommend Doom 2016 over Doom eternal if your new to FPS games. The combat pacing is a little slower and the arenas are a bit easier to navigate. I don't play a ton of FPS games and while Eternal is a great game I feel its a little to frantic/arcade-y compared to 2016.

Plus there is more of an introduction to the story in Doom 2016, that really does such an amazing job of establishing who you as the player character are and makes you a complete no-nonsense badass.
    Thanks! Might consider that then.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else find Hurt Me Plenty to be an actual real challenge ? YOu really do need to dodge everything and use glory kills to get health as well as rely on chainsaw kills for ammo.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Anyone else find Hurt Me Plenty to be an actual real challenge ? YOu really do need to dodge everything and use glory kills to get health as well as rely on chainsaw kills for ammo.
    Yes. What is basically the normal difficulty is actually relatively hard.
    Incoming Nightmarists shitting on us...

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Not really. I finished the game with like 5 extra lives and only died on scenarios where I was looking for totems. It felt just right for a "normal" setting.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    and like clockwork there was the first one
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post

I feel like things die very quickly in Eternal tbh,I'm playing on Nightmare (though difficulty only changes AI behaviour and damage taken,not enemy health) and you can kill most heavies in 5 seconds or less.The toughest super heavy seems to be the cyberdemon and you can kill them in 10 seconds or less if you really want to focus them down.

Also,there will always be 2 zombies constantly respawning in arenas once all the other fodder demons are dead,for the sole purpose of keeping you stocked on ammo

PS : I meant cyberdemon being the toughest as far as being a damage sponge goes,I'm aware that they're one of the easiest super heavies,probably even easier than the Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    PS : I meant cyberdemon being the toughest as far as being a damage sponge goes,I'm aware that they're one of the easiest super heavies,probably even easier than the Marauder
    They're much easier than the marauder; the marauder actually is the only demon that's annoying because you can't just spray it full of bullets but have to wait for the stupid 'green eye' cue.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    They're much easier than the marauder; the marauder actually is the only demon that's annoying because you can't just spray it full of bullets but have to wait for the stupid 'green eye' cue.
    yeah but the marauders are 3 second kills from their first green charge

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Hurt Me Plenty in Eternal feels kinda like Ultra-Violence in 2016. UV in Eternal isn't quite as hard as Nightmare in '16, but Nightmare in Eternal is currently handing me my ass on my second campaign, and I'm loving it. One Hell Knight actually burned both of my extra lives because I was dumb and thought I could just dance around him like in lategame UV.

As for Tyrants being easy, I thought so too. They're bullet sponges for sure, but their mobility and actual offensive capability are so shit that they are never a huge threat. The most dangerous super-heavy, short of a Marauder with too much backup to cheese him, is the Arch-Vile. Whenever he's buffing all the demons so they skullfuck you or inviting half a dozen more to the party, that guy's a fucking menace, and deceptively tough to kill in person as well. I ended up using most of my Crucible charges on these fuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Hurt Me Plenty in Eternal feels kinda like Ultra-Violence in 2016. UV in Eternal isn't quite as hard as Nightmare in '16, but Nightmare in Eternal is currently handing me my ass on my second campaign, and I'm loving it. One Hell Knight actually burned both of my extra lives because I was dumb and thought I could just dance around him like in lategame UV.
    I think the main reason for this is because Doom is very movement heavy where you are just not supposed to stop but unlike 2016 in Eternal every enemy can and will try to melee you so it is rediculous easy to accidentally run into some enemies and get your ass kicked which wasn't really problem in 2016 where only certain enemies tried to melee you while the rest usually kept their distance.

Hugo Martin was watching the Angry Joe stream of Doom yesterday, might be interesting to some.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/576200828 (00:45:00 onwards).

yeah but the marauders are 3 second kills from their first green charge
    I'm curious, how do you kill the marauders in three seconds from their first charge? I need at least six super shotgun shots before I can glory kill it and I can shoot them twice after each charge.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I'm curious, how do you kill the marauders in three seconds from their first charge? I need at least six super shotgun shots before I can glory kill it and I can shoot them twice after each charge.
    Do you know about hot swaps or weapon rotations (many names for the same thing)
    Basically,shooting a different weapon instantly recharges other single shot weapons,for example,if you shoot the super shotgun,then the ballista,then you can shoot the super shotgun again without ever having to go through the reload animation,meaning that not only you can shoot the shotgun twice in less time than it'd usually take to shoot it,reload it,and shoot it again,but you also landed a ballista shot in between,making up for more than three times as much damage as you'd get for just using the super shotgun
    On top of that,the grenades being shoulder mounted now means you can throw grenades without interrupting other animations,so you can throw a grenade while swapping weapons for extra damage.

With that in mind,what you can do is have your ballista out,and once they charge at you,shoot them,swap to shotgun,shoot,swap to ballista,shoot,repeat until they die.Weave grenades in the middle of all of this for it to work even better,though I'd advise practicing just the hot swap combo first.If you do it right,you'll stunlock the marauder and destroy him in seconds.

Granted,that pretty much requires you to have the hot swapper suit perk to work well,without it you can still swap weapons to get extra damage,but you'll be quite limited

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know about hot swaps or weapon rotations (many names for the same thing)
    Basically,shooting a different weapon instantly recharges other single shot weapons,for example,if you shoot the super shotgun,then the ballista,then you can shoot the super shotgun again without ever having to go through the reload animation,meaning that not only you can shoot the shotgun twice in less time than it'd usually take to shoot it,reload it,and shoot it again,but you also landed a ballista shot in between,making up for more than three times as much damage as you'd get for just using the super shotgun
    On top of that,the grenades being shoulder mounted now means you can throw grenades without interrupting other animations,so you can throw a grenade while swapping weapons for extra damage.

With that in mind,what you can do is have your ballista out,and once they charge at you,shoot them,swap to shotgun,shoot,swap to ballista,shoot,repeat until they die.Weave grenades in the middle of all of this for it to work even better,though I'd advise practicing just the hot swap combo first.If you do it right,you'll stunlock the marauder and destroy him in seconds.

Granted,that pretty much requires you to have the hot swapper suit perk to work well,without it you can still swap weapons to get extra damage,but you'll be quite limited
    I played on Ultra-Violence and I can only get maybe two shots off before he goes back into blocking mode. I doubt you can kill him in 3 seconds. Takes me at least 13 seconds of being super aggressive, including weapon swapping. I find that backing away in a straight line will make the Marauder flash his green eyes more often, thus giving me more opportunity to unload. Circling him will only make him play more defensive.

Also want to point out I feel the game was going to have a giant mech fight but didn't. Too many clues throughout the game that was suggesting giant robot vs giant demon fight. Sadly, that didn't happen.