Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Idea for a compromise on the Legion allied race unlocks.

Lore-wise, it has been an extended amount of time since Legion, and the four races that we met are now an integral part of the Warcraft story. In terms of game mechanics, Legion will be two expansions old, and the pre-Shadowlands structure of the game is shifting drastically with (I'd guess) 9.0, thus it may have an impact on the old endgame structure, and the possibility of new players bypassing Legion entirely is a possibility now.

Therefore, I'd argue that the easiest thing to do would be to make the allied races introduced in Legion available to all players regardless of reputation or story completion. However, it would be wrong to do this without acknowledging the effort that the players who previously unlocked these races made.

So as a legacy reward, all players who fulfilled the requirements of any Legion allied race pre-9.0 get, for each unlock:

-A special color variant for the racial mount.
    -A special color variant of the heritage armor.
    -A payout of 3000g.
    -A title.

In addition, getting the racial mount and heritage armor will still require fulfillment of the reputation and story requirements- they will not be immediately available to future allied race users.

I actually don't mind the rep grind, you know? The only one I couldn't see myself finishing is Highmountain and that's because the zone is so annoying to navigate- I think everyone who made the effort should be rewarded. But I also believe that you can't keep playable races locked behind outdated content forever, especially when things will be changing so much with the expansion.
    Last edited by Texan Penguin; 2020-03-28 at 05:13 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like this suggestion because it creates more time-limited rewards and tinkers with a problem that doesn't exist.

The easiest thing to do is to leave those rewards as they are, or maybe buff the reputation as they already did. Content is content regardless of how old it is. If players want those prestigious races, they simply need to grind like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan Penguin View Post
    But I also believe that you can't keep playable races locked behind outdated content forever, especially when things will be changing so much with the expansion.
    The main problem is not that it's outdated content. There are ton of things in WoW which is locked behind outdated content and it's fine. The main problem is that WoW is an MMORPG and not a "Team builder" game. You supposed the have Your One Character. But currently if Your One Character is an allied race you are forced to level a totally different character just so you can start playing with the character you really want. It's like buying a BMW, play the full price, but you are forced to drive an Audi for 10000 miles before you can start driving the BMW. The problem is not that Audi is bad, but that you simply wanted something else.
    Of course it's true for the whole allied race system, not just for the Legion allied races. It's not a big problem for players who have continuous subscription, but can be deal breaking for new players or for those who come back for a new race (even if they just missed a few patch).

Or... just unlock them normally like the rest of us did.

Or just make them available with the purchase of the expansion, as they should be, just like every other time a new race was introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Or just make them available with the purchase of the expansion, as they should be, just like every other time a new race was introduced.
    nah, go grind rep or don't get them

I feel its easier still, make all legion allied races unlocked immediatley, but I do agree that if you work towards exalted regardless you get an extra skin variant for their armor sets.

Some of these already exist with both Nightborne+Lightforged, also, give the weapons for all those races too, such as the nightborne and void elf weapons exclusive to their starting zone.

Heritidge weapons imho could be a bonus of, you earned the exalted achievement ontop of getting to 60 with a char of that race, though you only have to unlock exalted on one character to do it.

Any new players can create allied races by default, in addition, the BFA campaign requirements for current heritidge armor get removed for classic races, so they can unlock their heritidge armor as soon as they hit 60 in shadowlands.

Id also hope that with the addition of shadowlands they at least work on the remaining 6 races that dont yet have heritidge armor by 9.0 since to me adding those wouldnt even be hard or a stretch.

7+ Year Old Account
    How about just make them not locked in the first place.

I still think there's nothing wrong with keeping enough rep grinding that you need to get familiar with the race first. That's part of what makes them allied races. We're learning about them, then recruiting them.

If we're really still complaining about the rep grinds, they should just make Legion timewalking come out sooner. That makes rep grinds trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I still think there's nothing wrong with keeping enough rep grinding that you need to get familiar with the race first. That's part of what makes them allied races. We're learning about them, then recruiting them.

If we're really still complaining about the rep grinds, they should just make Legion timewalking come out sooner. That makes rep grinds trivial.
    legion tw will be next expansion, bout mid-way in. Just get the rep now if you want it, didn't take long as current content, won't take long now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lore-wise, it has been an extended amount of time since Legion, and the four races that we met are now an integral part of the Warcraft story. In terms of game mechanics, Legion will be two expansions old, and the pre-Shadowlands structure of the game is shifting drastically with (I'd guess) 9.0, thus it may have an impact on the old endgame structure, and the possibility of new players bypassing Legion entirely is a possibility now.

Therefore, I'd argue that the easiest thing to do would be to make the allied races introduced in Legion available to all players regardless of reputation or story completion. However, it would be wrong to do this without acknowledging the effort that the players who previously unlocked these races made.

So as a legacy reward, all players who fulfilled the requirements of any Legion allied race pre-9.0 get, for each unlock:

-A special color variant for the racial mount.
    -A special color variant of the heritage armor.
    -A payout of 3000g.
    -A title.

In addition, getting the racial mount and heritage armor will still require fulfillment of the reputation and story requirements- they will not be immediately available to future allied race users.

I actually don't mind the rep grind, you know? The only one I couldn't see myself finishing is Highmountain and that's because the zone is so annoying to navigate- I think everyone who made the effort should be rewarded. But I also believe that you can't keep playable races locked behind outdated content forever, especially when things will be changing so much with the expansion.
    I'm on board with giving the Legion races to everyone, but you're suggesting what is basically double dipping for people who already have them, and that isn't necessary IMO. Two-plus years of access to prestigious races (Blizzard's words) that other people only just now get in 2020-2021 is enough for the 'early adapters'.

And frankly, lazy procrastinators who wait until like, a week before 9.0 to unlock void elves don't deserve a bunch of gold and extra cosmetics/etc.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-03-28 at 06:19 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

It was already made easier - reputation gains in legion were doubled. That's more than enough

10+ Year Old Account
    Its already super easy after they buffed the reputations, youre just lazy at this point.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Its already super easy after they buffed the reputations, youre just lazy at this point.
    I said that I don’t mind the rep grinds. Honorbound is done. Voldunai is revered and Zandalari Empire is close. I’m personally almost done with Argus, and I’m doing Suramar next. I will probably finish them all before Shadowlands, actually.

This isn’t for me. It’s for the players years down the road who may not do any Legion content at all.

I said that I don’t mind the rep grinds. Honorbound is done. Voldunai is revered and Zandalari Empire is close. I’m personally almost done with Argus, and I’m doing Suramar next. I will probably finish them all before Shadowlands, actually.

This isn’t for me. It’s for the players years down the road who may not do any Legion content at all.
    Right, so if they don't do any content from an old expansion, why should they be entitled to rewards from those expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who went through the work of unlocking every allied race in the game so far...

I'd be fine with just making them unlocked by default and removing the requirements and quest lines once their debut expansion has passed. It's not a problem that affects me, but I can see why a new or returning player would be put off that they can't pick the race they want for their main because it's unlocked by... having a max (or near max in the case of the races added at the end of Legion) level character that has to take a significant time grinding a reputation to exalted and completing the relevant achievements.

I know most don't agree with me. But personally I'd be pretty put off if I was a new player wanting to play something like a Void Elf, and having to get a 110+ character first so I can grind Argussian Reach reputation and clear the Argus story before I can level the character I actually want to play. I'm glad I've been unlocking every race as it comes along, because going back to complete the requirements would be a pain in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Doesn't need a compromise, allied races should be unlocked for the previous expansion as the new one hits. Or at the very least the following expansion. Its just daft to keep things gated past a certain point, like pathfinder
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathfaern View Post
    The main problem is not that it's outdated content. There are ton of things in WoW which is locked behind outdated content and it's fine. The main problem is that WoW is an MMORPG and not a "Team builder" game. You supposed the have Your One Character. But currently if Your One Character is an allied race you are forced to level a totally different character just so you can start playing with the character you really want. It's like buying a BMW, play the full price, but you are forced to drive an Audi for 10000 miles before you can start driving the BMW. The problem is not that Audi is bad, but that you simply wanted something else.
    Of course it's true for the whole allied race system, not just for the Legion allied races. It's not a big problem for players who have continuous subscription, but can be deal breaking for new players or for those who come back for a new race (even if they just missed a few patch).
    Say what? Why has WoW had 10+ character slots per server since forever?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    As someone who went through the work of unlocking every allied race in the game so far...

I'd be fine with just making them unlocked by default and removing the requirements and quest lines once their debut expansion has passed. It's not a problem that affects me, but I can see why a new or returning player would be put off that they can't pick the race they want for their main because it's unlocked by... having a max (or near max in the case of the races added at the end of Legion) level character that has to take a significant time grinding a reputation to exalted and completing the relevant achievements.

I know most don't agree with me. But personally I'd be pretty put off if I was a new player wanting to play something like a Void Elf, and having to get a 110+ character first so I can grind Argussian Reach reputation and clear the Argus story before I can level the character I actually want to play. I'm glad I've been unlocking every race as it comes along, because going back to complete the requirements would be a pain in the ass.
    I agree, and wouldn't mind if the initial 4 were open to everyone. Its been 2+ years, that's plenty of 'early access' for those of us who put in the work and unlocked them when they were released.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cathfaern View Post
    Yeah... we wouldn't have 50 character slots if we were supposed to have The One Character™.

*dramatic echo*
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

7+ Year Old Account
    They are already so fast to unlock that I seriously doubt that anyone who wants them won't be able to unlock them quickly, especially since Shadowlands is coming with a level squish making reaching level 50 faster and a more enjoyable experience. Allied Races aren't designed to be for new players, as they skip the introductory experience, if a new player wants to unlock the Legion Allied races they can spend a hour a day doing so.