So they're now considering coughing on people to be terrorism. this guy coughed on a grocery store employee on purpose while telling them he has corona virus. I'd say this is justified currently.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Are you aware that we've reached a point when 1000 people are dying per day by this thing in 1st world countries and it's not at its peak yet?
    Yes, I am. I'm also aware that 220000 babies are born every day. Stay calm and carry on.

Were you aware that in a European city where I live, until recent raise, pension was ~$45 a month (my 100mbit internet costs almost $5 a month), and about a hundred thousand people in my city alone actually lived on that money somehow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    From the data from the last week there's been a fairly obvious leveling off of the infection rate. So the R0 is now about 1.
    It's much too soon to be making that assertion. Had the leveling off occurred during a period with a consistent amount of testing, then it would be more meaningful, but instead it corresponds to the timeframe in which the number of tests run per day has quickly doubled.

A very plausible explanation for the leveling off is simply that they're now (finally) expanding testing to those not as obviously symptomatic, which will naturally come with a temporary lowering of the case rate.

More time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    But they need to really start driving it down below that so new infections start to fall.
    For sure that's the goal.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Our president is a 12 year old...

On the bright side, according to her twitter she was able to get in touch with Pence and is now able to get supplies.

Update: https://twitter.com/i/status/1243669716872253440

I would sympathize with his, "don't be unappreciative" point if it wasn't for the fact that he's the first one to start throwing shit at people. Also at the end he says, "if they don't treat you right, I don't call."

Cool guy over here
    Last edited by Not A Cat; 2020-03-28 at 08:45 PM.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So they're now considering coughing on people to be terrorism. this guy coughed on a grocery store employee on purpose while telling them he has corona virus. I'd say this is justified currently.
    Intentionally coughing on people during an outbreak should not be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Intentionally coughing on people during an outbreak should not be tolerated.
    I agree. This is 100% justified right now.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Meh. I'd just say that you're oversensitive to what you consider to be other people being oversensitive.
    Just today I talked to one of my neighbours, a woman in late 60's who goes to church every Sunday. I asked her if their church is thinking about stopping mass gatherings in near future due to the virus. She looked at me about like I look at you. She's actually a great person and didn't laugh at me but she's pretty much laughing at the few people who are wearing masks now in Donetsk (we still have zero cases). She proudly said that no, they're not stopping services, not until there's a law from our government. Majority of church goers are elderly people, when the virus finally comes here most of them will be infected at once. Death rate for old people is over 20%. My nice old lady neighbour has over 20% chance to die from the virus this year, and she's pretty smug about it. What am I going to do to save her, kidnap her and tie to a chair in a cellar?

"Fear-mongering" and "panicky" are horrible words. Nobody's encouraging panic. Panic and fear are incredibly counter-productive.
    I'm actually on your side, let's do everything we can to reduce deaths. BUT I believe that a full-blown panic will kill more people than disease itself. Let's reduce that too.

Yes, I am. I'm also aware that 220000 babies are born every day. Stay calm and carry on.
    Yes, we get it, humans as a species are fine, nobody's really arguing we're headed for extinction. But it's pretty scummy to say it doesn't matter if thousands are dying from this.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

10+ Year Old Account

Were you aware that in a European city where I live, until recent raise, pension was ~$45 a month (my 100mbit internet costs almost $5 a month), and about a hundred thousand people in my city alone actually lived on that money somehow?
    Well I mean, mate, I'm sorry to say this but Donetsk is fucked. You got this unfortunate destiny of being used as a puppet state by Putie in his bid to control Ukraine, so it will be like Prednistrovie or North Ossetia - no man's land with puppet leaders bowing to Moscow for some scraps.

This basically makes Donetsk European city in name only. To be fair, whole Ukraine is no much better really, but that's the destiny of many ex-Soviet states drowning in corruption and paying the price for the wild 90s putting people in places of power, who aren't supposed to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    His direct family situation makes it so that people like Knadra who voted for donny dumbo and kept defending them for all his crimes, misdeeds and incompetence have turned this current situation into one where a family member or friend could die.
    Dude, that's everybody you described. Who DOESN'T have family or friends directly in line of this?

If Skroe has a problem, he should first look in a damn mirror before throwing stones, since it was HIS fearmongering/hatemongering that led his own damn party to elect Dumbass Dumbo to the head of the Traitorpublican party. Funny how our self-proclaimed "Jeenius" (sic) who always loves to brag about himself supposedly being always right with predictions sure seemed to somehow miss THAT big one comming to a fucking head, despite everybody warning him what was happening...

Skroe's doing what every damn fearmonge/rangemonger Traitorpublican does, he's using his own family/children/relatives as excuse-shields to justify out his own rage. He's just one step away from becoming another StuporTony...

It's an age-old excuse Traitorpublicans and Alt-Righters use for violence. "I did it to protect my family!" "I did it to protect my nation!" "I did it to protect my Religion" "I did it to protect my guns!" "I did it to protect us from sexual LGBTQ deviants"... blahblahblah... Moral of the story, find a reason outside of yourself to justify murdering people - therefore it's not REALLY your desire.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    Yes, we get it, humans as a species are fine, nobody's really arguing we're headed for extinction. But it's pretty scummy to say it doesn't matter if thousands are dying from this.
    It does matter, and we should do correct things to reduce the damage. Being overly dramatic puts some people in a defensive stance and actually hurts the cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just today I talked to one of my neighbours, a woman in late 60's who goes to church every Sunday. I asked her if their church is thinking about stopping mass gatherings in near future due to the virus. She looked at me about like I look at you. She's actually a great person and didn't laugh at me but she's pretty much laughing at the few people who are wearing masks now in Donetsk (we still have zero cases). She proudly said that no, they're not stopping services, not until there's a law from our government. Majority of church goers are elderly people, when the virus finally comes here most of them will be infected at once. Death rate for old people is over 20%. My nice old lady neighbour has over 20% chance to die from the virus this year, and she's pretty smug about it. What am I going to do to save her, kidnap her and tie to a chair in a cellar?
    Surely not. But any and all authorities (including church authorities), should be stressing to everyone who will listen that distancing measures will absolutely help save lives. Of course not everyone is going to listen. But the more people that listen and do the right thing, the more lives will be saved, especially as it will have an exponential effect on transmission rates.

It also might mean that when the time does actually come for your area, that the hospitals will not be forced to make the decision to let that lady suffer the illness and its attendant consequences without the support of a ventilator, because everybody got sick all at once and they're needed for their younger patients. Hopefully, enough people listen to the warnings to benefit even those who do not.

I'm actually on your side, let's do everything we can to reduce deaths. BUT I believe that a full-blown panic will kill more people than disease itself. Let's reduce that too.
    I think the difference is that I don't really see any "full-blown panic" that some people talk about. Perhaps you can show some examples and/or describe what a "full-blown panic" means to you?

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's some more of retardation in news:

About several days ago some religious morons arranged a wedding with way more than 10 participants allowed - about a hundred and a bit. Today we found out one of the guest participants had Coronavirus and he went there despite already having orders to self-isolate.

Good times.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-03-28 at 08:43 PM.

It does matter, and we should do correct things to reduce the damage. Being overly dramatic puts some people in a defensive stance and actually hurts the cause.
    I agree, just that phrasing sounded a little careless. But no matter, yes, people need to keep a cool head through this. Granted, in the US at least, our leaders are doing a horrible job trying to prevent hysteria

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the difference is that I don't really see any "full-blown panic" that some people talk about. Perhaps you can show some examples and/or describe what a "full-blown panic" means to you?
    This is exactly my point - just like quarantines should come before it gets bad and people are laying on the streets, panic mitigation should come before it gets bad and people are killing each other and looting stores.

A very mild example of panic is buying dozens of toilet paper rolls. A "full-blown" example which isn't happening yet and which we should prevent would be mass riots and looting. You know, post-apocalyptic stuff from movies. We actually had a few isolated events in my city during the war before the "new government" enforced law and order.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is exactly my point - just like quarantines should come before it gets bad and people are laying on the streets, panic mitigation should come before it gets bad and people are killing each other and looting stores.

A very mild example of panic is buying dozens of toilet paper rolls.
    Perfect example of what I mean.

Nobody, anywhere, is attempting to promote toilet-paper hoarding. It's happening regardless, sure, because people can be rather stupid. But you can't really force people not to be stupid, just as you're unlikely to force that nice lady into not going to church. But I sure as hell don't see people encouraging others to hoard toilet paper, do you? In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Whereas there are definitely some people in authority who are promoting the idea that everything is fine and that people should go to church (for example) like normal.

A "full-blown" example which isn't happening yet and which we should prevent would be mass riots and looting. You know, post-apocalyptic stuff from movies. We actually had a few isolated events in my city during the war before the "new government" enforced law and order.
    I don't see this happening, though. And surely nobody is promoting it, even indirectly.

- - - Updated - - -

First death of infant in connection with coronavirus reported in the US

An Chicago baby is the first infant death in the US associated with coronavirus, Illinois Department of Public Health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike said Saturday.

"There has never before been a death associated with COVID-19 in an infant. A full investigation is underway to determine the cause of death," Ezike said. "We must do everything we can to prevent the spread of this deadly virus. If not to protect ourselves, but to protect those around us."

An investigation into the cause of death is underway, Ezike said.

The death of a child younger than one year with coronavirus has previously been reported in China. That child had a pre-existing condition.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Here's some more of retardation in news:

About several days ago some religious morons arranged a wedding with way more than 10 participants allowed - about a hundred and a bit. Today we found out one of the guest participants had Coronavirus and he went there despite already having orders to self-isolate.

Good times.
    Hey! That also happened here in chile, where a dumb imbecile ignored the quarantine, got into a plane, went to a wedding, after that he went to a club and then went back to his town. Now, ignoring quarantines are a pastime of the upper class in here and the state does nothing.

Update: On more uplifting news, it turns out that the person who i was exposed that had the COVID-19 was a false positive. So yay i guess. I will still stay in my home until at the very least monday and go out only if necesary, to buy groceries.
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-28 at 09:14 PM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Chinese health organization it is.
    https://twitter.com/ezracheungtoto/s...69774410469376

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I agree. This is 100% justified right now.
    Agreed, a few cases in the UK of this, someone actually went and stabbed the tires of ambulances. Self isolation in a cell for a few years. I don't want to come off as some right wing tough on crime type, normally I am not, but these aren't normal times, and I know people react differently to stress, but these (thankfully few) cases need to be punished to the fullest extent of the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    What the hell was that?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?