Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    This sounds like it will be a lawsuit. A company in Austin, Texas sent out a form to it's employee's that the company will be docking it's employee's pay by 100% of the amount of the stimulus check they get in order to help the company with it's payroll issues.

https://wgno.com/news/health/coronav...us-checks-tmw/
    That's... really messed up holy shit. I hope something can be done for these workers.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...evidence-67229
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...nalysis-nature

Here you go. It's a corona virus. Of course it attacks humans so well
    I only read the first article but can I ask you to not just link the first thing goggle gives you?

This also has very little to do with science and simply reiterates that there isnt proof it escaping from somewhere but provides no solid source of origination or a strong argument for it being otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    I only read the first article but can I ask you to not just link the first thing goggle gives you?

This also has very little to do with science and simply reiterates that there isnt proof it escaping from somewhere but provides no solid source of origination or a strong argument for it being otherwise.
    Until you give me evidence of the contrary, I could say that the proof of it being a natural occurrence is out of my ass and even then i'd have more confidence in that than whatever you're trying to say. The burden of proof lies on you. Prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that this virus was bio-engineered.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0317175442.htm
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Until you give me evidence of the contrary, I could say that the proof of it being a natural occurrence is out of my ass and even then i'd have more confidence in that than whatever you're trying to say. The burden of proof lies on you. Prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that this virus was bio-engineered.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0317175442.htm
    It could be either but with even china claiming it was engineered now I have a feeling your argument in the coming weeks will be up there with "it's just a flu bro"

10+ Year Old Account
    Good? Bad? News: It seems that the CCP virus is more widespread, but less deadly than anticipated.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....23.20041319v1
    I'm not really sure this report is terribly meaningful. It seems like it's trying to imply that China should have been "credited" with ~258k cases of COVID-19, based on the changing definitions of the virus. That would retroactively change their data to suggest a CFR of 1%.

Ultimately, I think this report is a lot of "nothing to see here", especially considering the apparently lack of credibility behind China's numbers to begin with.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

It could be either but with even china claiming it was engineered now I have a feeling your argument in the coming weeks will be up there with "it's just a flu bro"
    China is claiming that it was engineered because they're trying to shift blame, in order to save face. They know (When i say they, i'm reffering to any officer of the CCP that has any semblance of self awareness) that they fucked up. In a legendary way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I'm not really sure this report is terribly meaningful. It seems like it's trying to imply that China should have been "credited" with ~258k cases of COVID-19, based on the changing definitions of the virus. That would retroactively change their data to suggest a CFR of 1%.

Ultimately, I think this report is a lot of "nothing to see here", especially considering the apparently lack of credibility behind China's numbers to begin with.
    I mean, I was trying to convey that there's some (albeit, again, very preliminary) studies showing that the CCP virus is way more widespread (albeit less fatal) than the confirmed cases show. But again, until we get widespread antibody testing, this is just a gut feeling and not much more.

My gut feeling tells me that, IFR is around 0.5-1.5%, but R0 is higher than shown. I may be wrong though. There's a good possibility that i'm wrong.

Speaking of R0, what's the R0 of mumps?
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-29 at 06:39 AM.

China is claiming that it was engineered because they're trying to shift blame, in order to save face. They know (When i say they, i'm reffering to any officer of the CCP that has any semblance of self awareness) that they fucked up. In a legendary way.
    Agreed but given their near instant reaction to it I would hazard a guess that they knew something was more dire then they let on.

Time will tell but chinas attempt to save face costs others dearly there needs to be a firm lesson taught regardless. If it was something they let out unintentionally there needs to be a reckoning.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is assuming it developed naturally and there hasn't been any evidence of that being the case. I think at the end of this China could well be forced into paying for reparations. The states might just solve its debt crisis overnight yet...
    Bull. All of those theories have since been debunked by actual scientists, you know, experts? Sure, there's potential correlation due to where the virus started, but that can't be proven and they've known about these types of viruses for years now. Michael Olefson, who is an American scientist and one of the leading figures on these subjects has even said that we can't manufacture diseases as harmful to us as nature itself can. Sars, Zika, Lyme disease, Spanish flu? All created in nature, and most could be avoided.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2020-03-29 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Bull. All of those theories have since been debunked by actual scientists, you know, experts? Sure, there's potential correlation due to where the virus started, but that can't be proven and they've known about these types of viruses for years now. Michael Olefson, who is an American scientist and one of the leading figures on these subjects has even said that we can't manufacture diseases as harmful to us as nature itself can. Sars, Zika, Lyme disease, Spanish flu? All created in nature, and most could be avoided.
    And even HIV or yersinia pestis were naturally made. We humans were stupid enough to eat monkeys and not bathe regularly. Want to reduce zoonotic diseases ravaging our species? You have 2 options:

a) stop eating wild game meat, and treat cattle with dignity, or stop eating meat whatsoever, for all humanity
    b) kill everything that's not human and is shown even the smallest degree of zoonotic disease transmission
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-29 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I'm a surgeon. I've sent my kids and wife of to live with her parents in a rural region of Germany almost 4 weeks back by now, seeing how exposed and likely to get this I was. I've only had contact to colleagues and friends the past weeks, and I've been testing myself regularly every few days. Like all medical staff I'm rather exposed, and I like to err on the side of caution.
    I'm almost 100% certain where I got it. I had to operate on a patient who was tested positive, with obstructions in the lungs, probably a result of smoking. No hard feelings, the risk comes with the profession. But thanks for your kind words.
    Get well soon, and thank you for your work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of R0, what's the R0 of mumps?
    Wikipedia says 4-7, but there isn't a citation.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    More events are coming out that China is indeed not telling the truth about their numbers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...f-virus-s-toll

Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500 urns on both Wednesday and Thursday, according to Chinese media outlet Caixin. Another picture published by Caixin showed 3,500 urns stacked on the ground inside. It’s unclear how many of the urns had been filled.

According to Chinese government figures, 2,535 people in Wuhan have died of the virus. The announcement that a lockdown in place since January would be lifted came after China said its tally of new cases had hit zero and stepped up diplomatic outreach to other countries hard hit by the virus, sending some of them medical supplies.

So the numbers are not adding up, and there's this:

Tweet link

And there are also reports that show that cellphone users have been dropped by a significant amount over the last three months. So either there's a new trend in China of going "offline" or a large part of these people are no longer alive.

All their actions are being reported on like moving deploying more incinerators, with each passing week more of what China is covering up is coming back to the surface.

- - - Updated - - -

That article I and struggle to call it that rather then a tabloid has about as much science in it as a flat earthers thesis paper.

One of his counter points is it attacks humans so well it can't be man made....
    The disease is created by natural evolution no evidence has been found to support any other theory, if you want to believe in crackpot theories go ahead and join that club. I am certain tinfoil unlike toilet paper is not in short supply.

You don't find forbes trust worthy enough and you want something scientific?

Here you go, have at it https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    More events are coming out that China is indeed not telling the truth about their numbers.

Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500 urns on both Wednesday and Thursday, according to Chinese media outlet Caixin. Another picture published by Caixin showed 3,500 urns stacked on the ground inside. It’s unclear how many of the urns had been filled.

According to Chinese government figures, 2,535 people in Wuhan have died of the virus. The announcement that a lockdown in place since January would be lifted came after China said its tally of new cases had hit zero and stepped up diplomatic outreach to other countries hard hit by the virus, sending some of them medical supplies.

So the numbers are not adding up, and there's this:

Tweet link

And there are also reports that show that cellphone users have been dropped by a significant amount over the last three months. So either there's a new trend in China of going "offline" or a large part of these people are no longer alive.

All their actions are being reported on like moving deploying more incinerators, with each passing week more of what China is covering up is coming back to the surface.
    The urns are more of an indication because cellphone users dropping is going to happen all over the place as people lose their jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't find forbes trust worthy enough
    An FYI, anything that is forbes.com/sites is just a Forbes-hosted blog, not anything coming from the actual magazine.

As a general rule, such blogs should be treated as if the site is wordpress.com rather than forbes.com.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

World and also Chinese people have seen that CCP is just a paper tiger.
    Chinese virus bent them over. People under quarantine are rioting lately.
    Those dictators will pay a price soon or later for hiding their crime.
    After all they did, i believe this virus is their own doing.

Wuhan is a 10-million city, which have been locked down for two months.

A rough estimate gives that about 15k people normally die in that time-frame, so seeing 3k urns here and there isn't that odd.

It's possible that there were additional deaths and a few more cases nowadays - but not massive amounts since the restrictions are now lifted - which doesn't make sense if it would spread, and people in the west would notice that friends in China have gone silent.

Just because you shouldn't trust PRC, isn't a reason to trust her instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I've just been tested positive, twice. The upside is, I get 3 weeks of paid leave. The downside is, no chance to see my family for 21 days. 21 days of isolation, here we go.
    Yikes, hang in there. Wish you the best!

The NGO Médecins sans frontières/Doctors without borders, traditionaly providing medical aid in conflict zones and in countries affected by endemic diseases, is now deploying in western Europe.

MSF has thus opened missions in Italy, Spain and France, and will take the stage in Geneva on Monday. Doctors specializing in the Ebola virus will be seconded to the Geneva University Hospitals (HUG), while others will step up aid to vulnerable populations.
    IRCC director worried about future of humanitarian aid.

But Yves Daccord expressed his doubts: "What worries me is not the short term but the medium and long term". With the economic reconfigurations that the countries of the North are likely to experience, "arbitrations will have to be made, and I am worried that they will not be in favor of humanitarian aid".
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2020-03-29 at 08:50 AM.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

10+ Year Old Account
    At last night's government, the government decided, among other things, that purchases in stores would be reserved exclusively for vulnerable groups such as the disabled, the elderly and pregnant women between 8am and 10am on Monday. Seniors will only be allowed to make purchases at this time interval.

By limiting the time specifically for vulnerable groups, the government wants to further protect these groups by separating them from the rest of the consumer group, they explained in a post-government communication.

The ordinance comes into effect on Monday.

..................wait...realy......but old people are slow

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    At last night's government, the government decided, among other things, that purchases in stores would be reserved exclusively for vulnerable groups such as the disabled, the elderly and pregnant women between 8am and 10am on Monday. Seniors will only be allowed to make purchases at this time interval.
    Some disabled might be in the risk group - but I don't see that all are in the risk group; instead there are specific diseases that are not disabling but still major risk factors - which makes it more complicated as you cannot easily see if they should be allowed to shop. It isn't clear that pregnant women are a risk-group (there are some suspicion that it might risk the fetus - but nothing confirmed yet as far as I know).

And the risk is still that as soon as some in the selected group becomes infected they will still go to the stores at that time and it will still spread, and with just 2 hours for shopping for all the elderly seems as if there will be queues increasing the risk.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I've just been tested positive, twice. The upside is, I get 3 weeks of paid leave. The downside is, no chance to see my family for 21 days. 21 days of isolation, here we go.
    Hope you get well soon.